Chapter 018

The Vanity in My Love

~Chapter 018~

"Park Sunyoung!!!!!" Amber yelled into the phone. Sunyoung cringed at the volume of Amber's voice.

"Yah, what do you want that you are yelling in my ear like this?" Sunyoung asked.

"Key oppa is having a party. f(x), Sulli, you, and SHINee are invited. Come quickly."

"Where is it? Why do I have to come?" Sunyoung whined.

"Don't be so querulous. It'll be fun. As we all are singers, we'll be doing karaoke! It's really fun! Minho is bringing chicken too!"

"Really? Chicken? I'll be there!" Sunyoung said excitedly.

"I knew it. Now, goodbye. We're filming for a CF. I have to go. " Amber hung up.

~~~

"Hyung, we have to watch Sunyoung noona's press conference. Apparently, there's a special meaning behind the tracklist order. I'm curious about it, so can we watch it?" Taemin begged.

"Okay. You can watch. I'm not watching anything anyway." Onew said, pretending not to be interested in Sunyoung's press conference. As the leader and oldest member of SHINee, Onew had the responsibility of making sure everyone was healthy and that they did not do anything to hurt themselves. As a result, he had the power to reject a member's desire.

Taemin switched to the channel airing the press conference. 

A/N: Bold letters represent the press conference and normal letters show Onew's thoughts. 

Park Sunyoung "Love Hurts" Promotional Press Conference:

"Annyeong haseyo, Park Sunyoung imnida. This album is different to me. It symbolizes a whole message which I feel like I need to explain before any of the reporters ask any questions. Please listen well." Sunyoung greeted.

A large screen appeared from the ceiling in the conference room. A projector shined a bright image onto the screen, allowing the media to get a glimpse of it. It was the tracklist for Sunyoung's first album "Love Hurts".

"The album represents a woman's mind when she is in love. The introduction track, 'I Don't Know Anything But Love' gives the feel of a girl's heart when she cannot let go of the boy she has loved for so long. The song's lyrics relate to the theme of the album of a bad break-up, as well as the two title tracks, 'Love, That One Word' and 'Can You Hear Me'. Therefore, I decided to title this pithy song 'I Don't Know Anything But Love' because the girl doesn't know anything but love."

"The order of the song is very specific and it was selected that way by me personally. The next track on the list is 'Closer'. It speaks of a girl and her first love. Next is 'If'. 'If' delineates a girl's regret about how she was too late in expressing her love. Her love left her before she could do so. After that, the song is 'Someday'. This song describes of the same girl hoping that she can overcome her love and that her world will be pleasant again. Next, 'Still in Love' is of the girl who realizes that she still is in love, even if she tries not to." Sunyoung continued.

Onew stared at Sunyoung on the television screen in disbelief. Had she fallen in love in America? Did she love someone? Was she over Onew now? 

Do I like Sunyoung? I don't. No, that would be foolish to like a woman who runs away from her problems, like she did five years ago.

"Hyung, are you okay?" Taemin looked at Onew's scrunched up face in confusion. Onew nodded with absentmindedness. 

"'Love, That One Word' is the first title track. It represents the girl who loves the boy, but can't express her feelings because she does not understand them.  'Can You Hear Me?' is the second title track. It describes the girl not being able to get over her love. She cannot forget his words, his actions; his atmosphere near her. He takes her breath away and makes her cry, but she cannot help it. Originally, only 'Can You Hear Me?' was supposed to be the title track. However, the staff agreed that both songs deserved recognition. I would like to thank Teacher Lee Soo Man, my label mates f(x) and Sulli-ssi, and all my make up artist, stylists, and staff unnis and oppas. I would also liked to give a special thanks to SHINee's Jonghyun-ssi for composing a song for this album and encouraging me to have strength for this album." Sunyoung smiled, looking directly at the camera. 

Are you trying to hurt me Park Sunyoung? Are you indirectly showing me your feelings through music? I don't understand why, Sunyoung. Leave me alone. I do not like you more than a family friend. Please let me go. You will regret following me all this time. I will just break your heart. You do not want that to happen, do you? 

"Now that you understand my album's meaning, are there any questions?" Sunyoung asked the reporters.

"Yes, Sunyoung-ssi. We want to know about your personal life. Is there a man in your life yet?" A reporter called out.

"I do not. I live with my parents and I love them both. That's all." Sunyoung said tentatively. Her eyes faced the reporters with assurance.

For once, Onew saw Sunyoung as the girl she was five years ago. Standing on the makeshift stage above all reporters, Sunyoung was definitely hesitating her last response, according to Onew. Her eyes went unnoticeably wide for less than a second, which only Onew recognized. She turned into the clumsy, clueless girl she once was when faced with the question of her love.

No other reporters made a comment or question, so Sunyoung bowed and descended the stairs.

"Hyung, that was a deep meaning to a simple album. I never would have understood that this album's tracklist was fabricated a certain way if not for Sunyoung noona's explanation."

Onew nodded, his mind blank. Looking at the time, he changed the subject quickly. "We're late for the party. Let's go!"

~~~

Jonghyun and Key ended their duet of VIXX's "Rock Ur Body", just as Onew, Taemin and Sunyoung arrived.

"Yah, Lee Jinki, Lee Taemin, and Park Sunyoung! Why are you guys late? Taemin, we'll excuse you. But Onew and Sunyoung, where did you two go? On a date? Tell us where you went." Victoria demanded. 

"N-no. We came separately. All of us did. I came from my press conference." Sunyoung replied.

"Taemin and I came from the dorm. We were watching tv and we lost track of time." Onew said.

Victoria glanced at Amber. "Yah, Lee Jinki, were you watching Sunyoung's press conference?" Victoria interrogated.

"N-no!! Why would I watch Sunyoung's press conference?" Onew's cheeks turned a deep pink, as he avoided Victoria's sharp gaze.

"Why are you blushing?" Key teased.

"I am not blushing!" Onew exclaimed.

"Fine. But, you and Sunyoung have to prove that you didn't go out on a date together." Key asserted. Key knew that Sunyoung and Onew were not out on a date, but he wished for them to be together. They seemed compatible together and the others agreed. He demanded the two to do this just for the sake of bringing two people together. However, he wasn't sure if they could confess to each other.

Everyone's attention had turned to the latest guests and they were eagerly waiting for what Sunyoung's and Onew's reactions would be to their request.

~~~

 An hour ago....

"Aigoo...Park Sunyoung, just say you like Onew!" Sulli exclaimed, sitting on the edge of the seat. Though originally everyone was singing at the karaoke machine together, their attention diverted to Sunyoung's press conference after Jonghyun mentioned it.

"Notice how her eyes grew slightly wider when the reporter mentioned love. It's obvious she likes Onew hyung." Minho pointed out.

"We should do something for them to realize they like each other." Victoria stated.

"We don't know that they like each other!!! Stop assuming it!" Jonghyun said.

"Why are you so upset about that assumption? Isn't it obvious with all their interactions on our show?" Amber reminded.

Jonghyun bit his lip, refusing to say anything more.

"Well, what do you want to do, unni?" Krystal wondered, sitting next to f(x)'s leader.

"We should ask them to sing a duet together! They sounded great with 'One Year Later'." Victoria recalled dreamily.

"Yes! That's excellent! Noona, will it work though?" Minho was worried, as he knew that Onew was shy at times.

"We'll make them somehow. I wonder where they are though. Did they perhaps go out together?" Victoria smiled in satisfaction.

"Taemin is not here either! Maybe they are all together!" Jonghyun remarked.

"Yah, Kim Jonghyun, why are you trying to destruct our excitement?" Amber said.

Jonghyun shrugged and paid attention to Sunyoung speaking on the television.

"Hopefully, they do come together and make our life easier. They do seem like a good couple." Krystal agreed.

~~~

 Present

"Prove ourselves? How?" Sunyoung asked.

"Sing." Key stated bluntly.

"Sing? I sing all the time though. It's my job." Sunyoung said.

"Well, you'll have to sing with someone. That makes it different." Key said.

"Who do I need to sing with?" Sunyoung questioned impatiently. "I just arrived and you guys are already making me do something."

Sulli whispered to Taemin about their plan for Sunyoung and Onew.

"That's excellent! We watched the press conference. Onew hyung seemed pretty interested in it." Taemin replied.

"Onew. Sing with Onew." Victoria ordered.

"Onew? Why?" Sunyoung exclaimed.

"Sunyoung? Why do I need to sing with Sunyoung?" Onew said.

"To prove to us that you did not go out together." Sulli smiled.

"You don't have to if you don't want to." Jonghyun assured, looking at Sunyoung.

"It's fine. I can sing with Onew, if it makes you guys happy." Sunyoung agreed, walking to the karaoke machine.

She played a familiar song and handed Onew a mic. Lyrics began to play on the screen.

"Take my hand, take a breath
Pull me close and take one step
Keep your eyes locked on mine
And let the music be your guide"

Sunyoung sang.

Then Onew joined her. 

Onew: Won't you promise me?
Sunyoung: (Now won't you promise me,
That you'll never forget)
Onew: We'll keep dancing
Sunyoung: (To keep dancing)
Sunyoung +Onew: Wherever we go next

Sunyoung +Onew: It's like catching lightning, the chances of finding
Someone like you
It's one in a million, the chances of feeling
The way we do

And with every step together
We just keep on getting better
So can I have this dance?
Sunyoung: (Can I have this dance?)
Sunyoung + Onew: Can I have this dance? 

As it became Onew's turn to sing, the members of SHINee began to urge Onew to go close to her.

As they sang, the f(x) members, SHINee members, and Sulli commented on their chemistry.

"Aww... Look at how Onew oppa stares at her." Krystal sighed.

"Sunyoung noona looks like she really enjoys this." Taemin smirked.

As Sunyoung hit her high note, Onew suddenly knelt on one knee, as if he was giving a marriage proposal. He held out a hand to Sunyoung and smiled at her.

SHINee, f(x), and Sulli squealed as Sunyoung took Onew's hand and he stood up.

Together, they ended the song, their eyes locked on each other.

"Yah! What are you doing? We only asked you to sing, not to give us fan service!" Victoria and Jonghyun mocked anger, though Jonghyun seemed genuinely upset, and stormed to Onew and Sunyoung.

Sunyoung and Onew blushed furiously, speechless.

"Wow, what a performance." Minho critiqued.

"Yeah. I would give this a ten out of ten. Your singing was probably a two, but then the chemistry you two shared boosted your score up to a ten." Key teased with Minho.

"Kim Kibum, stop it!" Onew warned Key.

"I have to go to the bathroom. I'll be back." Sunyoung said quietly, leaving the room.

She rushed to the bathroom and closed a stall door. Tears rolled down her cheeks and she vehemently wiped them away.

Yah, Lee Jinki, why do you hurt me like this? The way you did the fan service for our friends. It was so real that I felt that we were an actual couple. Do you know how nice that felt? Obviously you don't and probably never will.

"Sunyoung-ah, are you okay?!" A concerned male voice called from outside the women's' restroom.

Author's Note: 

Annyeong readers! 

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I haven't been updating this story enough.... Sorry :( 

How did you guys like the chapter? 

I have been writing throughout last week, but never got the chance to really write the ending until yesterday.

So, I want to tell you a quick story to explain my lack of updates. 

It was my grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary and my family and my aunt's family wanted to surprise them so we gathered at my grandparents' house to decorate the entire house, as well as clean it. To prepare for this, we baked lots of food and all throughout the week and I also had university classes because my semester started again. So, that's why I haven't been updating often.

My grandparents went to eat lunch at a restaurant to celebrate on our request. 

Both my family and my aunt's family had spare keys to the house for emergencies. However, we couldn't open the front door with both keys when we went to their . After about fifteen minutes, the door finally opened and we prepared for the surprise.

My grandparents were very shocked and also delighted, so that felt nice.

So, that's basically it! Please be patient with me and my updates!^^

Thank you for your support :)