Chapter 007

The Vanity in My Love

 ~~Chapter 14~~

Luna examined her nails once more before handing over a payment to the cashier. 

"Komapseumnida! I really appreciate your work." Luna bowed at the nail designer. As it was Prom Day, Mrs.Lee had urged Luna to go to a salon to get her nails and hair done. Luna had planned on getting ready on her own.

"Komawo. Come again soon! Also, be careful with the hair when you're wearing your dress. We don't want it to become untidy, right?" The nail designer smiled.

"Yes. Thank you again. Have a nice day!" Luna said, leaving the salon.

"Have a nice time at the prom!" The nail designer waved.

Luna waited for the bus silently, musing over her nails. They were simply done as a French manicure topped with a clear coat of nail polish.

~~~

Onew sighed at his disobedient tie and eventually threw it aside, reminding himself to ask his mother to tie it for him. He glanced at his hair, making sure it was neat. He put on his overcoat and smoothed it down, brushing off nonexistent specks of dust. 

"It's only for one night, Onew. Relax. You'll be home soon." Onew told himself, as he stepped out of his room holding a rose and his tie.

He knocked on the bathroom door. "Yah, what are you doing in there? Hurry up!!! Luhan and Taeyeon will be here soon!" 

"Yah, be patient! I'll be out in a minute!" Luna shouted.

"I don't care when you come out! Umma wants to take a picture of us together." Onew said.

"Omo~! I have to hurry then!" Luna exclaimed. Only seconds later, a "goddess" appeared in front of Onew. He was once again taken aback by Luna's ethereal beauty.

How come I only see Luna is so beautiful in a dress? Onew thought as he gazed at her. She was wearing the same dress she chose for her prom, but Luna had managed to make the dress look even more alluring on her.

"Yah! Wake up! Let's go downstairs." Luna playfully hit Onew's shoulder, trying to conceal her blush. She was overjoyed that she had attracted Onew's attention.

As they descended the stairs, Mr. and Mrs.Lee gaped at the young adults. The ordinarily juvenile Luna seemed ravishing and mature. Onew, who normally looked average in a polo shirt, was handsome in the tuxedo.

"Aigoo....my son has really become a man in these few days!" Mr.Lee wiped a few tears. Mrs.Lee smacked his shoulder.

"Yah, I'm the crier in this family. Luna, you look gorgeous. Jinki-ah, tuxedos really suit you." Mrs.Lee remarked.

"Komapseumnida." Luna bowed, grinning at Onew. He glanced away and nodded at his parents as to say thank you.

"Alright, before Luhan and Kim Taeyeon arrive, let's take a picture of you two." Mr.Lee held up his camera.

A moment later, Mr.Lee took the role of a photographer and ordered Luna and Insw into several poses before settling on one. In this pose, Luna's back was facing Onew, and Onew's back was facing her back. Luna's hands were simply folded and stretched out in front of her, while her head leaned slightly back to rest on Onew. Onew's hands were crossed near his chest and he smiled bashfully. The still was both homely and lovely.

Soon, Luhan and Taeyeon arrived and more pictures were taken, though Mrs.Lee felt none of the later pictures were momentous.

~~~

The second Luna entered the large ballroom where the prom took place, she felt this place was for her. The entire room was elaborately decorated with thin, long fabric, balloons, and arrangements of white roses. The theme was similar to a wedding and Luna felt relieved that she wore a cream colored dress.

"This place is beautiful." Luna said to Luhan. Onew and Taeyeon had headed to another area of the ballroom.

"It's not as beautiful as you are." Luhan smiled. Luna took his hand and led him farther into the

"Luhan, let's eat something. I kept my stomach empty, so I can eat a lot here!" Luna said.

Luhan chuckled and followed her to a vast table with an eclectic amount of delicacies.

~~~

"Onew! Let's dance!" Taeyeon held Onew's arm as she took him to the dance floor.

"One Spring Day" by 2AM became more audible as Onew and Taeyeon stepped onto the dance area. However, it did not sound like 2AM was singing it.

"How do we dance to this song?" Onew wondered aloud.

"You don't. You can sing along with it or if you're bold enough, go join the karaoke line and you can sing more vociferously than anyone." A boy said.

"Onew, let's do it!" Taeyeon pulled on Onew's arm, urging him to join this line. Onew sighed and gave in to Taeyeon's beseeching.

As they stepped into the long line, Onew spotted a familiar dress in front of him.

"Yah, what are you doing here?" Onew demanded.

Luna turned around to see Onew standing behind her. "What? I can't stand in line to sing?"

"Ani. I was just surprised to see you here."

"You know I love singing. Obviously I would be here." Luna smiled, looking ahead.

A young man dressed in all black suddenly walked up to the karaoke machine.

"Excuse me! Please quiet down." The room went silent. "Please be patient. You'll get your turn at the machine. You will either choose to sing alone with back up vocals if it's a group song or you'll have a duet with another person. The duet will be with you and the person behind you. If the person behind you repudiates your request to sing with him or her, you must choose a different song. Duets cannot be sung alone. Thank you." The man explained.

A couple more upbeat tracks played after the man's announcement. Soon, it was Luna's turn. She looked at the songs and decided on a duet.

"Yah, sing with me!" Luna said to Onew.

"Yah, is that how you ask?" Onew smirked.

"Aiish. Please sing with me!" Luna implored. Onew looked at Luna's purity and agreed.

 Luna clapped her hands and chose her favorite duet song. Onew escalated the few steps leading to a leveled stage. He looked at the crowd and saw Luhan waving to Luna.

Luna Park, please choose a decent song. Onew mentally sent a message to Luna.

A piano began to play the beginning of a song. Onew recognized it immediately and didn't have to look at the screen for the lyrics. This was his favorite duet, as well as ballad.

Luna began to sing.

Cham mani gunggeumhe jonbu da gunggeumhe
We jami an ogo ni olgulman boyo

I'm very curious, I'm curious about everything
Why can't I go to sleep and can only see your face?

Then Onew joined in.

Nado gunggeumhe i mami gunggeumhe
We noman bomyon useumi monjo nawa

I'm curious too, I'm curious about this heart
Why is it that when I see you, laughter comes out first?

As Luna sang the next lines she was shocked at Onew's magnificent voice. He was a natural. 

The song ended and the whole room clapped loudly. Luna stared into Onew's eyes.

"Yah, how can you sing so well?" Luna asked. His voice was so sweet and angelic, even though he seldom sang.

"You're better than me." Onew turned red and looked away. Luna chuckled at his blushing face and bowed to the audience and rushed to meet Luhan.

"Luna! You're an amazing singer! I didn't know you sang like this!" Luhan exclaimed.

"Komawo! I love singing, so everyday I sing. Over time, I improved, I guess." Luna said.

The two wandered off into their own world, talking about music.

~~~

The end of prom was nearing and Onew was dubious about something. Wasn't there going to be a slow dance?

He looked at his watch which indicated that there was only a half hour until prom was over. The dance would appear now or never.

Just as Onew predicted, a slow piano instrumental began to play from the speakers. Taeyeon almost instantaneously led Onew to dance with her. She leaned on Onew's chest. Onew uncomfortably looked away and spotted Luna smiling at the ceiling. He saw her dancing slowly against Luhan's chest, like Taeyeon did to him.

He suddenly felt jealous of Luhan. He danced with Taeyeon a little closer to Luna and Luhan and kept a close eye on Luna.

Yah, why are you dancing with a random guy? Onew thought. Then he contradicted himself, thinking, Aiish. Why do you care, Onew? She isn't even your friend. Let her be. She isn't significant enough for your mind to waste time thinking about her.

Meanwhile, Luna, as well, felt the same emotions as Onew. She noticed that he was occasionally looking at her and smiled to herself. 

 Yah, why couldn't you ask me to dance? Why didn't you ask me to the prom? Aiish. Luna grumbled silently.

"Are you alright?" Luhan asked, worried. 

"Ne." Luna said and grinned. She didn't want Luhan to develop even deeper feelings for her, especially when those feelings could not be returned. 

~~~

Author's Note: 

Hello! 

How was this chapter? The duet Luna and Onew sung was "Love Day" by B2ST's Yoseob and A Pink's Eunji! It's one of my favorite duets! 

http://infotaip.blogspot.com/2012/03/love-day-yoseob-b2st-eunji-pink-english.html

http://kpoplyricscc.com/2012/03/15/yoseob-eunji-love-day/


Hopefully, I can update soon! Bye bye! :)