Chapter 023

The Vanity in My Love

~~Chapter 022~~

"Park Sunyoung! Wake up! We're going to the SM common room in two hours!" Victoria shook Sunyoung out of her bed. The night before, f(x) and Sulli had helped Sunyoung move into their dorm and Sunyoung now shared a room with Victoria, the only one who didn't room with anyone, besides Amber who had an extremely small room. By the time  Sunyoung had slept, it was 1:30AM. 

"Unni, I just slept though." Sunyoung mumbled. 

"Sunyoung-ah, come on. Please get up. You can sleep again later. Okay?" Victoria said. Sunyoung reluctantly got up and walked to the bathroom. 

~~~ 

Onew paced around the room, studying his lyric sheets. Unlike Sunyoung, who he knew would probably slack off and not memorize all the lyrics to the B-side music, he rised early to peruse through the lyrics. Jonghyun looked on with him, memorizing the lyrics as well.

"Why are you doing this?" Onew asked, gesturing to Jonghyun's serious expression while reading the lyrics sheet.

"Because I want to be able to serenade my future girlfriend this song." Jonghyun said.

Onew chuckled. "Wow, Kim Jonghyun. You have changed. You're so cute. I should use some tips from you."

"You should. First, start off with your clothes. You dress too casually. What are you going to be wearing for today's performances with us?" Jonghyun said.

"I don't know. A sweater and jeans?" Onew shrugged.

"Yah, what are you saying? Wear black skin-tight pants and a plain white cotton shirt with a blazer on it. You must look nice." 

"Why?! I'm only singing with you guys and f(x) and Sulli." Onew complained.

"Dude, you're crazy! You're singing with Park Sunyoung and you're dressing so plainly? I bet Sunyoung is going to wear something nice and you'll just look plain compared to her."

Onew frowned. Why do I have to look nice for Sunyoung? I have known for all my life and she has seen me with stains on my shirt. It's not as if suddenly she'll judge me. 

"Fine. Jonghyun-ah, you really surprise me. I didn't think you cared about what I wear."

"I don't unless you're with a girl." 

"When have you started caring this much for your hyung?" Onew smiled.

"I always have cared for you, Onew hyung. It's just that you're really lucky to be singing with a power vocalist like Sunyoung." Jonghyun said.

Onew nodded. However, he didn't share the same emotion as Jonghyun. Onew didn't understand why Sunyoung was adored and loved by many. He had heard her sing before and she sounded nice, but it gave him the same feeling when Jessica or Seohyun sang.

~~~

"You want us to sing solo as well?" Sunyoung exclaimed.

"Yeah. You don't have anything better to do anyway, so just sing for us." Key said.

Sunyoung glared at me. "Yah, Kim Kibum, why don't you sing then?"

"I already did during ToHeart promotions." Key smirked.

"Aissh. Okay. What should we sing?" Sunyoung said. 

"Sunyoung, sing Taeyeon unni's "Devil's Cry". Onew, sing a ballad version of "Rum Pum Pum Pum"." Sulli said.

"Okay. Sunyoung, go first. Minho-yah, you have the instrumental, right?" Onew looked at Minho. 

"Yes, I'm playing it." Minho turned up the speakers of his iPod stand speakers.

The beginning rock beats of "Devil's Cry" began to play. Sunyoung nervously held up a mic that wasn't plugged in and cleared her voice.

SHINee, Sulli, and f(x) were in awe of Sunyoung's singing. Despite her feminine floral dress, she owned the rock concept well with her voice.

"Whoa, I wish I could sound like that." Krystal murmured.

"Now we know why she's known worldwide." Amber said.

"Dude, is her voice even real?" Minho raised his eyebrows.

"What kind of comment was that? Her voice is powerful, for sure." Taemin said to Minho.

"Her voice is no joke." Jonghyun sighed.

Onew was in shock. Was this Sunyoung singing? She sang as well, no even better, than Taeyeon had sung this song. The high notes were perfectly hit and it made Onew question how high she could really sing.

As Sunyoung ended, a large and warm applause greeted her.

"Sunyoung! Sunyoung! Sunyoung!" Sulli, Key, Taemin, and Krystal cheered.

"Thank you." Sunyoung shyly smiled.

"Onew's turn." Victoria said. As Sunyoung sat down, Victoria whispered, "That was amazing."

Onew's voice was soulful and Sunyoung found herself swaying back and forth and even mouthing the words to the song.

As Onew ended, the applause was smaller. However, Sunyoung applauded loudly and cheered for him.

As she walked back to the center of the common room, she praised Onew, "Good job, Onew. I didn't know you sang this well."

Onew smirked and then frowned. "Now you know, I'm just as great as anyone else."

Onew and Sunyoung resumed to perform all of the tracks on their first album as Black&White.

~~~

After performing to a joyful audience, Onew and Sunyoung relaxed next to their friends/label mates for questions.

Sunyoung had answered most of them as the more loquacious one of the duo. However, a question made Onew stop Sunyoung and answer it himself.

"What do you think of your partner in this duo? Anyone can answer this." Amber asked. The group quieted down from their side conversations. This question interested them as well.

"Well, honestly, I don't really care that Sunyoung is my partner. It would have been the same if she wasn't my partner and someone else was. When I first found out that she was my partner, I laughed because I thought SHINee's manager was joking. How can Sunyoung be with me? I am a lot more mature than she is. She is such a child. When I found out that we were actually in a duo, I was shocked. Could Sunyoung sing at my level? I knew that Sunyoung was talented, but you never know. Without practice, that talent can be wiped out. Our songs on the tracklist were effortless to sing. I bet anyone can sing Sunyoung's parts. When we were going to perform today, I thought Sunyoung would be too lazy to memorize the lyrics. I'm surprised she did though. I heard the demo version of Sunyoung's part in our song, "Honesty" and it wasn't appealing. Her voice seemed hoarse and rough. It surprised me because I thought Sunyoung was supposed to be the best singer of her age or something. What was that award she got? The "Blue Jay" award or was it-" Onew said, when Sunyoung interjected him.

"Stop!" Sunyoung stood up from her spot, her voice shaky. Jonghyun and Victoria followed her movement, also standing. The others looked on in shock.

"I'm still childish, Onew? If I am childish, what are you? Your arrogance hasn't disappeared, has it? Five years and you still have not changed!!! I changed so much in those years. Haven't you noticed? I thought you might have realized I'm not a little girl anymore. I love music, did you know that? When you hurt my feelings five years ago, that's all I did. Listen to music. My inspiration of the lyrics of "Lovesick" came from you. Can't you see me as a woman? No, I guess not. One thing I will never be lazy about is music. That will be impossible for me. Do you know how much I love to sing? Do you know how much I strived to be where I am today? It wasn't easy, Onew-ssi. You told me to call you that, remember? When I came home from America in 2014. I went through so much training, my head still hurts from all the notes I heard. Singing all those high notes every single day is not easy. Ask Taeyeon unni or Soojung or Taemin. Haven't you sung them yourself? Is it just me that struggles? Are you a better singer than me? Maybe you are, like you are with everything. Do you know much it hurts when you can't  even appreciate an award that a person you knew for your entire life has received. It's called the "Nightingale" award and only a single person receives it every five years. I sounded hoarse and rough while singing? I had a cough and I still came to sing. I'm sorry my voice isn't appealing to you. I'll try to improve it. You're really cruel, you know that Lee Jinki?!" Sunyoung expressed, her eyes watery.

Onew looked at her, speechless.

"I'll be right back." Sunyoung mumbled. She sped walk to the door, wiping her cheeks.

Jonghyun and Amber rushed after her without a word and Onew fell to the ground on his knees.

"Onew, I think we need an explanation here." Victoria spoke up after a moment of silence was passed.

Onew nodded and narrated his relationship with Sunyoung(previously Luna) and how they drifted apart for five years.

"Why didn't either of you tell us this?" Victoria asked gently.

"It was too awkward for the both of us to reveal it. So, I guess the both of us wanted to forget the past. But I don't think anyone of us forgot it." Onew sighed.

"So, what are you going to do now?" Minho said.

"I don't know. Why do I have such repugnant pride? It disgusts me." Onew sighed.

"Oppa, you can start by apologizing. Sunyoung unni will acknowledge it and won't kill you." Krystal chuckled.

"Yes! That's great!" Onew said. He stood up and rushed to find Sunyoung.

~~~

"Sunyoung?" Onew sat next to Sunyoung as he found her sitting outside at the back door of the SM building, where no paparazzi of fans could see her.

Sunyoung looked up and then away from his sight.

"Go away." Sunyoung muttered.

"Please. I'm sorry. I really am. Will you forgive me? I know that I said a lot of things I didn't mean. You really are talented. It's just that I was upset I didn't get the same response from our friends like you did. Please...."

Sunyoung looked at Onew. He stared at her and they held eye contact for minutes. Finally, she broke it and smiled.

"Why do I forgive you so easily? You do hurt my feelings a lot. That gives me an excuse to despise you." Sunyoung said.

I know why I forgive you so easily. I don't want to lose you for a long time again. That mistake won't happen again. 

Onew shrugged uncomfortably.

"What do you want for your birthday? It's coming up soon." Sunyoung questioned eagerly.

"I don't know. It's your choice. What about you? What do you want?"

"Yah, Lee Jinki, I have a whole list for you! You're rich now, so you'll be expected to get an expensive gift for me!" Sunyoung teased.

"Yah, Park Sunyoung! I'm not spending all my money on you!" Onew whined.

"I spent all my allowances on you when we were kids." Sunyoung reminded. "Omeoni let you take money from her, but not me. Umma made me earn the money because she said that I should be grateful for you. I don't know why though. You're useless without me."

Onew nodded and the two reminisced about their memories, as their previous tears were somewhat forgotten.

Why can't you always be like this, Onew? Why do you always show some kind of arrogance in you? Give me your love. That's all I want. Sunyoung thought.

Author's Note:

Hello everybody! Was this a late update? If so, sorry. I was supposed to update sooner but didn't due to the whole Jessica and SNSD incident.

I'll explain my thoughts on that later. First, how was this chapter? :)

It's pretty contradictory. One moment jovial, the next painful, and then pleasant again. The next chapter however.....is very interesting. ;)

So, now onto my thoughts on SNSD and Jessica.

Honestly, I will believe Jessica's words over SM Entertainment's words anyday. I've been following a hardcore Sone on ask.fm and she's been saying all this nonsense about SNSD and Jessica(PM me if you want to know what).

When she wrote on her Weibo that the ones who she trusted hurt her a lot, I was shocked. Could she mean SNSD? No, what about the Soshi bond? The Sone on ask.fm suddenly became an anti and bashed SNSD and pitied Jessica. I was confused. What did she mean? SNSD were supposed to be like sisters and best friends.

With her statement, I began to believe it as well. SNSD were responsible for forcing Jessica to leave. I think it was because that they felt that Jessica was not giving SNSD enough attention and that managing both Blanc and SNSD would stress her out. I'm pretty sure that if Jessica was stressed by Blanc AND SNSD, she wouldn't have renewed her contract.

It hurts me that when Jessica wants to do something solo, like Yoona and Sooyoung with their dramas, TaeTiseo and their music, and so on, she can't do it. It's not like she's been missing any SNSD activities.

She even postponed Blanc's launch for K-Con. She even said that SNSD is her number one priority. Wasn't that enough? She has done so much for SNSD.

Aigoo... I'm ranting. Okay, so, I support Jessica in her future activities. I found this on tumblr, so I'll share it.

"I will always love and support you. When you think you are alone, please remember we are here. We will always be here for you. I am never leaving you. Even if it’s 10 years from now, my love for you will never change. You’ve been there for me, it’s my turn to be there for you. I love you so much and it breaks my heart to see you hurting. I can’t do anything but I can continue to love you. That is the best I can do now. Stay strong, my angel. "

Anyways, bye bye!

I hope everyone enjoyed this chapter.