Chapter 016

The Vanity in My Love

~Chapter 016~

Sunyoung sprinted to the front desk of the hospital to ask where Mrs.Lee was being treated.

"Room 234." Sunyoung thanked the woman at the front desk and rushed to Room 234. When the door would not slide open, Sunyoung frantically pounded on it.

Her mother opened it, a smile on her face.

"Where is omeoni? Is she okay?" Sunyoung whispered, stepping inside the room to see her father and Mr.Lee talking.

"Of course. She fractured her leg and she'll have to stay in bed for ten days or so. She'll be fine." Mrs.Park assured. 

"That's it? Umma! Why didn't you tell me it was a fractured leg? Do you know how worried I was? I'm glad omeoni's okay but you could've saved me from the panic." Sunyoung sighed breathlessly into a chair. 

"If I had told you it was a fractured leg, then you never would have come here immediately." 

"Yes, I would have! Aiish. Umma!" Sunyoung complained. She walked to the sleeping Mrs.Lee and waved. 

"Annyeong haseyo, omeoni. Get well soon! How did you even fracture your leg?" Sunyoung asked, as if Mrs.Lee would reply.

"She's sleeping. She slipped on the wet floor at the bank." Mrs.Lee said. 

"Omeoni needs to be careful. My mouth is dry. Umma, do you have some water?" Sunyoung looked at her mother pleadingly.

"Yah, go drink something. You need to stay hydrated. Onew is at the cafe downstairs. Go have a coffee or something with him." Mrs.Park suggested, glancing at Mr.Park and Mr.Lee. 

Sunyoung shook her head, even though she was craving a coffee. "No. I'm fine." 

"Go, Sunyoung. You know you want something to drink after your run here." Mr.Lee chuckled. Sunyoung gave in and left the parents to talk.

"We have to reconcile Sunyoung and Jinki quick. This was a good idea." Mr.Lee said to Mrs.Park.

"I know. We have to create sparks as soon as possible. They're already twenty-five years old. We can let them date for a couple of years, but they should get married soon." Mrs.Park agreed.

"Married? Sunyoung is adamant about not forgiving people so easily. She will make sure Onew knows what he has done wrong. It will take a while for them to become friends again." Mr.Park pointed out.

"That's true. She's grown up though. She can forgive and forget." Mr.Lee said.

"Hopefully." Mrs.Park sighed.

~~~

Onew silently drank his coffee and watched the customers of the cafe. He observed the customer at the ordering area and noticed she seemed familiar. She looked like Sunyoung.

"Sunyoung!" Onew called out to Sunyoung, who turned around, startled. She glanced at Onew and nodded at him.

"Sit over here. I want to talk." Onew gestured to the seat across from him. 

Sunyoung paid and clutched her coffee and then walked to the table Onew was sitting at.

"What's up?" Sunyoung questioned. Her distant behavior near Onew was still present. 

"Sunyoung, let's be friends again. I miss your cheerful personality and aura near me. Can we forget about what happened? Let's start over." Onew blurted out. Sunyoung stared at him with a blank face. 

Immediately, Onew regretted saying this. Pabo Lee Jinki. Why do you rush things? Sunyoung will eventually forgive you. 

"Instead of friends, can we just be acquiantances? We'll still converse once in awhile, but not like friends. We can text, too. I'm not ready to forgive you. We can make up what we missed over these five years." Sunyoung brought up. 

"Okay! That's perfect! I don't mind!" Onew smiled. "Let's talk about how we were during these years." 

"Okay. After I left Korea, I went home to New York and joined an academy, where I improved my singing and dancing. I had two Korean friends, but that was it. I actually lost most of my social skills. I avoided any parties and focused on singing. For a year, I remained like this. Then, umma and appa left America because they missed home. They tried to persuade me to come with them. I didn't because I thought I might run into you. For a year, I trained with a record label and then debuted on September 3rd, 2016. I guess I became charismatic and had a bright atmosphere around me because I became popular for my personality and then my voice. I am happy now. I achieved my dream. Of course, I missed Korea and my parents. So I came here and joined SM, only to see you as the leader of SHINee. I knew you became a singer before, from umma, but why? Why did you put aside your intelligence and become a singer?" 

"Because people said that I had a smooth and sweet voice. They said that I should become a singer. Just when I had the ideas of starting my own business, I had to attend a charity and sing for people. Umma decided to volunteer there and asked me to do it. There, everyone kept asking me if I was a singer. This pushed me to become one. It's as simple as that. I quickly auditioned and got into SM and then debuted as SHINee's leader. That's all. But would you have been more pleased if I said that I opened a company that was unsuccessful, and then became a singer?"

Sunyoung laughed. "No. I wouldn't be pleased. No matter how much I hated you, I was still concerned as to where you were and what you were doing."

Onew smiled, relieved that Sunyoung still cared about him.

"Do you want to exchange numbers?" Sunyoung took out her phone. Onew nodded and took the phone from Sunyoung to insert his phone number into it. He entered it as "Onew :)".

"Yah, I'm going to change it to 'Lee Jinki', okay?" Sunyoung took her phone back.

"Fine. Call me, so I can get your number." Onew said.

"Okay." Sunyoung dialed his number and then ended the call.

"I have it." Onew smiled. "So, how are your album preparations going?"

"Great. I have to release a video explaining my album and the meaning behind the selection of the songs." Sunyoung answered. She looked at his reaction to see whether he would comment about the lyric medley.

"Oh yeah, I saw the lyric medley the other day. It was very meaningful. I've composed and written songs for SHINee's albums, as well."

"Really? Jonghyun told me that he was the only one in SHINee who had composed songs for SHINee's albums. Minho and you only wrote lyrics." Sunyoung frowned, believing that Onew was lying.

"N-no. I meant I've composed music on my own, but they weren't for our albums. It was just a passtime. I even tried choreographing our dance for "Hello". What about you? Do you do anything for your albums?" Onew boasted. He knew Sunyoung composed and wrote all her songs, but he wanted to see whether she would fib about anything.

"I compose and write all my songs. I enjoy them more that way. I never tried choreographing. I don't really have an open mind for creating dance moves." Sunyoung replied.

"Wow, really? That's unfortunate. I can do lots of activities. Taemin was saying that I might be a quadruple threat. You know, I can sing, dance, act, and make composition/choreography. It's embarassing to be praised like this, actually."

Sunyoung raised her eyebrows. "You still haven't changed. You still are arrogant and overconfident."

"What do you mean? I have changed now. I am modest usually." Onew avoided Sunyoung's eyes.

"Usually? Not always, like a person should be. Yah, be grateful you can do at least one of those four skills you mentioned. I need to go practice. I'll be going to see omeoni before I go. Bye." Sunyoung smirked at him, before standing up and taking her leave.

Onew watched her depart and put on an ashamed face. Am I really that conceited? I thought I changed. Lee Jinki, you have to change. Sunyoung has to realize your change, okay?

Onew sighed and left the cafe.

~~~

Most of the SM family were gathered in a meeting room, awaiting the chairman's arrival. Each one of them had different ideas as to why they were asked to come.

"Sunyoung, don't worry. We're probably going to talk about the next SMTOWN tour." Jessica of Girls' Generation said.

"Unni, do you think we'll be scolded for something we did?" Seohyun, of Girls' Generation, asked Taeyeon, Girls' Generation's leader.

"I don't know. Has anyone been in any scandals recently?" Taeyeon projected loudly. There was no answer.

"Then, why could we have been called here?" Yunho of DBSK wondered.

"Because the SM Family will be having their first reality show together." Lee Soo Man walked in.

Everyone greeted him warmly and he sat down next to them.

"A lot of fans are curious about your idol life here at SM. So, we're teaming up with MBC and OnStyle to show our true SM nature. We'll be showing fun moments we have together, by going on picnics and shopping. You'll also be teamed up to compete in challenges against each other. It'll be fun. You'll also be having reflections at the end of each episode for each artist. SHINee will be speaking their thoughts at once, as will f(x) and other groups. Single artists such as BoA and Zhang Li Yin will speak by themselves. There will be a total of fifteen episodes. Not at all artists will star in each episode. For example, Super Junior's Eunhyuk and Kyuhyun may star in one episode, but not in another. Please be yourself in this series. The title is called "SMTOWN: The Secrets and Joys". This series will air on both MBC and OnStyle every Thursday and Friday. On MBC, it will air at 10PM on Thursday. On Onstyle, it will air at 9PM on Friday. Each episode will be around an hour. Any questions?" 

Sunyoung raised her hand. "Yes, Sunyoung." 

"Ahjussi, will I be participating in this show? I have not been part of SM for a long time. Won't it be awkward with me?"

"Awkward? You? Sunyoung, you have blended in with SM so well. It feels like you've been with us for years. Everyone of us knows you well and you know us well. You don't need to worry." Super Junior's Ryeowook smiled at Sunyoung. 

"I agree, Ryeowook. Sunyoung, you will be part of the show." Lee Soo Man said. 

Sunyoung smiled. This series would be fun with her label mates, who were very outgoing and kind. 

"Ahjussi, when we make teams for our challenges, can we choose our teams?" Onew asked. 

"Sometimes. We'll tell you when you can." 

"Minho and Luhan are going to be popular choices." Suho of EXO smirked. 

"Omo, Taemin-ah, we better choose Minho quickly!" Key proclaimed. 

"You two might not be on the same team." Victoria reminded. 

"Oh right. Aigoo...we're screwed." Key groaned. 

"Any other questions?" The chairman asked. 

"No actresses will be on this show, right?" Jessica verified.

"No. They'll be having their own reality show soon." Lee Soo Man replied. 

"No Sulli then." Krystal said, slightly disappointed. 

"Any other questions?" Lee Soo Man said, before standing up. Because there were no more, he soon left. 

"I can't wait for this show to start! Especially the challenges!" Minho, the most competitive person in SM, cheered. 

"Hey, if we're on Minho's team, he'll do all the work for us." Onew teased. 

"Yah! I will not!" Minho shouted. 

The SM artists gradually left the large practice room to move onto their schedules or head back to their dorms.

Author's Note:

I updated sooner than usual! *pats self on the back*

How was this chapter, readers? Onew and Sunyoung are somewhat reunited as friends, so that's a relief. 

So, I decided to start this whole SM reality show thing because I watched I AM., the documentary about SM's concert at Madison Square Garden and fangirled with the interactions between all the idols. 

And I thought, why not include a reality show for the SM artists to increase the LuNew moments in this story?

So, when I write about the reality show, it will include only parts with both Sunyoung AND Onew. Who cares about everyone else.... haha, just kidding.

Next chapter: Sunyoung's explanation of the album(was I supposed to do that this chapter?), and the first episode of SM: The Secrets and Joys.  

Sorry about the reality show name.... It's terrible, I know....

At least it will have lots of LuNew moments!

They are so cute, omfg! 

Well, good bye everyone! Please look forward to the next chapter!