Chapter 026

The Vanity in My Love

~~Chapter 026~~

~~~

"It's okay. It's not like they're going to yell at you." Jonghyun assured Sunyoung. Sunyoung shrugged her shoulders and gripped Jonghyun's arm tightly, as if she was receiving a shot. 
 
The first days of Jonghyun's and Sunyoung's relationship were shaky, as they both had many schedules to attend. Finally, on the fourth day of their relationship, Sulli had suggested that everyone spend some time together, including Onew and Jung Ah. 
 
No one knew about Sunyoung's and Jonghyun's relationship. They were nervous to tell their friends and to see their reactions. 
 
Jonghyun was also hesitatiing to tell SHINee and f(x). Secretly, he believed that Sunyoung had feelings for Onew and was just using him to make Onew jealous. He tried to push the thought away, but it always returned. Meanwhile, Sunyoung avoided any interactions with Onew and even if he smiled at her, she would just nod and quickly look away. Today, they would finally meet after their birthday.
 
Jonghyun and Sunyoung stepped into the common room at the same time. Everyone stared at them, excluding Jung Ah and Onew who were mesmerized with their couple bracelets.
 
"Hi." Sunyoung managed to speak. 
 
"Hi, unni! Hi Jonghyun oppa!" Krystal waved. 
 
"We have to tell you something." Jonghyun stepped forward. Sunyoung had let go of his hand just before they had walked into the room, but now Jonghyun took her hand again. 
 
"Yes. I think you do, Kim Jonghyun. Why were you two holding hands when we saw you in the window outside?" Amber grilled.
 
Onew raised his eyebrows at Jonghyun and then glanced at Sunyoung. She seemed tired, but relaxed.  
 
"Sunyoung and I are dating. We started on her birthday, but I admit to having feelings for her since she arrived in Korea." Jonghyun stated. 
 
"WHAT?!" Minho exclaimed. He looked at Victoria and bit his lip. Victoria glared at him and shook her head, as if she wanted him to be quiet. 

"Yes. We are." Sunyoung smiled. 

"So, everyone's happy, now?" Victoria casually asked. In her opinion, as well as Minho's, Krystal's, Sulli's, Taemin's, Key's, and Amber's, Sunyoung seemed to like Onew a lot and he seemed to care for her as well. These sudden revelations of their relationships were shocking. Onew had suddenly turned from a sweet man to an almost arrogant guy. It was as if he wanted to make Sunyoung jealous of Jung Ah. Meanwhile, Sunyoung turned colder towards Onew. 

Victoria had noticed that she had been avoiding Onew as much as possible. She believed it may have been due to the fact that Sunyoung was hurt that Onew was dating someone. 

"Yes. You can say that." Jonghyun agreed. He led Sunyoung to seats next to Onew and Jung Ah. 

Onew looked at Sunyoung once more, before focusing back on Jung Ah. 

~~~

"So, what do you want to do?" Jonghyun asked Sunyoung, as they silently strolled down random hallways of the SM building. 

"I don't know. This feels weird. I have never been in a relationship, so I don't know what to expect from it." Sunyoung answered. 

"Well, let's see. You can tell me about your childhood with Onew hyung. I always wondered about it since the time Onew hyung told us." Jonghyun said.

"Oh yeah. Amber was telling me that Onew told you all." Sunyoung said quietly before introducing her childhood with Onew to Jonghyun.

"Onew and I were born six minutes apart on the same floor of the same hospital. He is the older one. My parents and his parents were high school friends and they remained that way even after they got married. Naturally, Onew and I played together as kids. But, I left for America when I was around six. I only made a couple visits since then, until I turned twenty. My father said that I would study better here. I guess it was true because I did do well. However, it was only to impress Onew. Onew was the only person I looked up to then and you could say he was my crush, even in my early adulthood." Sunyoung paused, sighing deeply. She closed her eyes for a moment and then began to speak again.

"But I didn't realize something important about him. He hurt me so many times when we were twenty. His arrogance and complacency was overlooked by me because I liked him. But when he hurt my self-esteem so much by calling me a sl*t, I wanted to just melt into nothing. I know he meant nothing and I may have said something to hurt him, but still. It hurt a lot and I decided I never would forgive him. So, to avoid any more interactions with him, I went back to America to train to become a singer. My education was over anyway and now I only wanted to get away from Onew so, I did. But, when I saw him here at SM, I was shocked. I never thought that an extremely intelligent man would become a singer out of everything he could be. Now I see that he still has not changed. I don't want to deal with Onew anymore. Thank you, Jonghyun. For listening to me. I probably ranted so much and you might have been annoyed by this. Sorry."

Jonghyun paused and looked at Sunyoung.

"Sunyoung-ah, if you ever feel like crying, just come to me. I will never hurt you. Please, I am there for you. We haven't been close for as long as you and Onew have, but I assure you I will take much better care of you." Jonghyun said quietly. His eyes were angrily looking at the ground. 

Sunyoung froze and then slowly nodded.

~~~

Minho was silently reading a book, after a long day of hard work. Just as he decided that the reading for that day was enough, Jonghyun burst the door open and stomped towards the couch before plopping himself onto it.

"Hyung, what's wrong?" Minho asked, yawning.

"Yah, Choi Minho! Where is Lee Jinki?!" Jonghyun demanded, ignoring Minho's question.

Minho raised his eyebrows at the volume of Jonghyun's voice. "Hyung, calm down. Whatever you are furious about, it will be better when you settle down."

"Choi Minho, tell me where Lee Jinki is now." Jonghyun glared at Minho.

"Aiish. If you don't listen to me, you will regret it." Minho shrugged his shoulders and then texted Onew about Jonghyun's request of him.

TO: Onew hyung

FROM: Minho

Hyung, is your recording over yet? Jonghyun hyung is asking for you and he seems pretty angry.

Did you do anything wrong?

TO: Minho

FROM: Onew

No, I haven't done anything :/

Why is Jonghyun so worked up?

Minho frowned at Onew's text message and then observed Jonghyun's behavior. He was leaning his head back on the couch with his eyes closed. He seemed to be trying to soothe himself, but it was unsuccessful. 

"Do you want to talk about it?" Minho asked cautiously.

"Fine." Jonghyun slowly narrated the tale of Onew's mistreatment of Sunyoung. Minho's eyes widened as he heard the story and he stood up.

"Where are you going? You are staying here." Jonghyun ordered. 

"Okay, I am. Hyung, relax. Onew hyung is a good guy. You don't need to hurt him. I'll tell him his mistakes, okay? Don't get involved. You're just frustrated." Minho said.

"He hurt Sunyoung's feelings! Do you know how much Sunyoung has meant to me since the moment she looked at me? Obviously, Sunyoung hasn't meant much to that guy. I will tell him how much he owes for all she does for him. Actually, he's probably debted for life for her good deeds. Sunyoung is truly amazing." 

"Hyung, you are going overboard. You need to sleep. Go now." Minho glanced at the clock. "It's already 12AM. Taemin is sleeping. You'll wake him up.

"I don't care." Jonghyun muttered. It was if a ghost has possessed him. 

Minho fretfully texted the wise leader Victoria for advice on Jonghyun and the situation between Sunyoung and Onew. 

She returned a worried reply.

TO: Minho

FROM: Victoria

Aigoo.... what do we do? Just wait until Onew comes and then let Jonghyun vent his anger. Onew will be confused, but just tell him that Jonghyun is drunk or something. 

Onew really hurt Sunyoung? Even though he did that, I still think he is the best match for Sunyoung. They are perfect for each other. 

The doorbell rang and Minho hurried to answer the door, before Jonghyun could. 

"Hey Minho!" Onew smiled brightly and Key followed Onew inside, giving Minho a look.

Minho tried to decipher Key's expression and Key quickly whispered in Minho's ear, "Vic umma texted me. I know what's going on. So does everyone else but Onew and Taemin, who's sleeping." 

"Hey Jonghyun." Onew smiled, oblivious to Jonghyun's strange behavior. 

"Hello." Jonghyun said. 

"You're quiet today." Onew said. 

"Wow, you actually paid someone else attention other than yourself? That's surprising." Jonghyun smirked. 

"Dude, what the hell? Why are you so strange all of a sudden? You were fine in the morning." Onew frowned. 

"Sunyoung told me about you. I never knew you were like this. Mistreating Sunyoung? How could you do such a thing? Arrogance is not a quality to be proud of. What is wrong with you? How did I even look up to you when we were trainees? From this moment on, consider us strangers. I do not talk to jerks or a**holes." Jonghyun stated. 

"Jonghyun-"

"I am Jonghyun-sshi. Call me that, please." Jonghyun said. 

Onew sighed. "I didn't mean to do that, Jonghyun. I have changed. There is something wrong with me where I tend to mess up with my mind. I don't know what to say at times. I can be impulsive." 

"If you're impulsive, you think lowly upon Sunyoung in your head? How did she ever like you? You are the last person anyone would like. Watch me. I will not give up Sunyoung and will take care of her well when I get the chance. You got the chance but you tossed it away." Jonghyun stood up, walking closer to Onew.

"Have a lousy night." Jonghyun glared at Onew and went to his room.

"Wow, things change really quickly." Key mumbled silently.

Author's Note:

Hello everyone! How was this chapter?

Wow, I really made Onew the antagonist now that I re-read it. Sorry to all the MVPs out there for making Onew a negative character. I'm an MVP too! <3

So, Part 2 of "The Vanity in My Love" is coming to an end soon.....

You probably expected that. After part 2, comes Part 3 and then the end of this story. 

I think Part 3 may be the longest. I'll have to see. 

The funny thing is that I never expected this story to be turning this way. Jonghyun was never supposed to be a major part of the story and Jung Ah was never supposed to be in this story.

But yeah.... that's how it turned out. 

Quick fangirl moment: 

I love VIXX's Error! The dance and song and just everything is so cool! I've become a Starlight really quickly and I'm glad I did. They're so cute and funny!!!

Whenever I fangirl about VIXX, I'm probably Luna in this gif and my friend is probably Amber, lol.

So, bye bye! Look forward to the next chapter!