Chapter 022

The Vanity in My Love

~~Chapter 22~~

A young man and woman stepped onto the makeshift stage in front of several reporters with bright smiles on their faces. Despite a small hint of nervousness on the man's face, they seemed confident and prepared to answer the questions thrown at them. 

"Hello everyone. This is Black&White." Black&White announced, bowing. 

"Hello, I am Black&White's Sunyoung." Sunyoung smiled. "I am the variety whiz and funny girl of the duo."

"Hello, I am Black&White's, as well as SHINee's Onew. I am the visual and sweet dubu of the duo. We both are the main vocals." 

"Shall we start with the questions?" Sunyoung turned to Onew. Onew nodded and they proceeded to take their seats.

Q: How does it feel to be in a duo? Sunyoung, you're a soloist and Onew, you're part of SHINee. Does it feel any different?

Sunyoung: Honestly, it feels less stressful because I have someone to share my stress with. I normally worry alot whenever I go on music shows because I want to do well. However, now, Onew and I are busy preparing for music shows together, so I have no time to worry. 

Onew: I get more spotlight, so that makes me happy.(laughs) But, this is a nice change and its fun to change things up once in a while.

Q: What is "Black&White" the album about? 

Onew: Black and White features soulful love duets between a woman and a man. There are contrasts of their feelings in some songs or sometimes, their feelings are the same. A woman can express her emotions listening to Sunyoung's voice and a man can relate to what I'm singing. We wanted to connect with everyone with this album, whether it would be through the past, present, or future. 

Q: What's your favorite song on the album?

Sunyoung: My favorite song has to be the title track,"Love Sick". Its about a woman that is facing an unrequited first love and loves a man, even though he doesn't even acknowledge her. It has a very sad meaning, but I really like it. 

Onew: My favorite song would definitely be "Hard But Easy". Its about someone who can't confess their feelings and though they want to, they always back away due to shyness. Its a sweet and lovely song and I really enjoyed recording it.

Q: Why were you two chosen to be in a sub unit? 

Sunyoung: We are compatible with each other and have contrasting personalities. They say opposites attract, right? The SM staff said we would match well in terms of personalities and voices, as well. We sang a demo of....what was the song again, Onew?

Onew: "Honesty". We sang the demo version of "Honesty". I didn't know why or who I was singing with. I just had to sing a small portion and then I was sent off to my schedule. I found out that Sunyoung had to sing the same part as I did and then our voices were overlapped to see how they would sound together. Apparently, they sounded perfect, so we were told about this. 

Sunyoung: That's right. The choice was kind of random. They assumed we might sound nice together based on how unique our voices are compared to others. 

Q: Sunyoung, you and Onew have been quite a popular pairing for fans. They love seeing you together. Why do you think that?

Sunyoung: I don't know why. We simply are friends and that's it. I think he's a great singer and a very nice person. According to the other SHINee members and SM label mates, he also gives great advice and also is very optimistic.

Q: Onew, what do you think about Sunyoung? 

Onew:She's also great. I enjoy her carefree company during practice and it's fun to talk to her. She never runs out of things to say. IT

Q: Why are you called "Black&White"? 

Sunyoung: Onew and I have contrasting personalities. Though both of us are always smiling and optimistic, I am extroverted and he is introverted. I mix well with everyone and am very overt. Onew is very reserved and quiet. We are opposites and so are the colors black and white. So, that's why we are called "Black&White". 

Q: Who is the "Black" and who is the "White" of Black&White?

Onew: Because Sunyoung is the one who is more vocal and energetic, she is also the one who stands out and is bold. So, I would say she is the "Black". I would suit "White" because I am more of an innocent and pure "angel".

Sunyoung: That's true. He has a sweet image as SHINee's leader, too.

Q: Do you think Black&White, the album, will be successful? 

Sunyoung: We hope so. I think all the songs on the album are great, and even if the album doesn't do as well as we expect, I'll still be happy to have the opportunity to create such beautiful music.

Onew: I agree with Sunyoung. It's a win-win situation either way. It's just that if the album does well, then it'll be a double win for us and for our company. 

The press meeting gradually ended with Sunyoung and Onew performing, "Love Sick". 

~~~

Onew relaxed onto the couch in SHINee's dorm. Instantaneously, the other SHINee members surrounded him. 

"Lee Jinki." Key frowned. 

"Hyung." Taemin looked at Onew in disapproval. Onew frowned at the members.

"What's wrong? Did I do anything?" Onew asked.

"Yah, you never told us you were in a sub unit with Sunyoung!!!!" Jonghyun exploded in rage.

"I had to keep it a secret. Surprise?" Onew smiled sheepishly. 

"Hyung! Why did you have to be like Key when he was in ToHeart?" Minho frowned.

"I know. At least we were too busy to look into Key hyung's life then and Key hyung did say he was going to tell us. How long were you hiding this from us?" Taemin said.

"Not too long. I really wanted to tell you, too! Aigoo, it was so hard for me not to tell anyone." Onew expressed.

"Fine, we forgive you. How was it though? Singing with Sunyoung?" Jonghyun grilled. 

"It was good. She's a really great singer and you can tell she really loves singing." Onew said awkwardly. Minho silently observed Onew's awkwardness. Why was Onew acting this way when speaking about Sunyoung?

"When are we making a comeback? I miss performing on music shows." Taemin sighed.

"Yah, you just went solo and you already want to make a comeback with SHINee? You'll become tired." Key scolded. Taemin shrugged his shoulders.

"Performing and practicing is fun. It's true that it's tiring. Taeminnie, don't overwork yourself." Onew advised, like the good leader he was.

"You too, hyung. You need rest, too. You've been anxious lately about something. Don't be too stressed. We'll support you throughout your Black&White days." Minho smiled.

Onew nodded and thanked Minho and the other SHINee members silently for being so supportive.

~~~

"So, that's how you became a member of Black&White?" Sulli said. Sunyoung nodded.

As months passed on, Sunyoung either invited the f(x) girls and Sulli to her apartment or she went to their dorm frequently. Due to the constant requests of f(x) and Sulli, Sunyoung was forced into asking her manager for permission to dorm with f(x) and Sulli. Victoria roomed with no one, as the leader and umma, so Sunyoung could room with her. Sunyoung's manager was still working out the pros and cons of doing this and f(x) and Sulli were eagerly waiting for an answer, as they discussed Black&White.

"Well, congratulations, Sunyoung-ah!" Amber hugged Sunyoung.

"Thank you." 

"How does it feel to share the stage with someone?" Krystal mocked a news reporter. Sunyoung's smile faded, when she was reminded of doing the same with Onew five years ago. 

"I'm not so lonely on stage anymore." Sunyoung quickly smiled, as she spotted Victoria staring at her suspiciously. 

"Hey, manager oppa texted me! Sunyoung, you're moving in with us!!!!" Sulli cheered.

"Really? That's great!" Victoria smiled.

"Yes! Unni, this is amazing!" Krystal jumped up, pulling Sunyoung up as well. They jumped around in happiness, celebrating the happy news. 

After they had relaxed, Sunyoung settled down, tired. "Sunyoung, when are you and Onew performing all the songs on the album for us?" Amber asked.

Sunyoung stared at Amber, confused.  "What are you talking about?"

"Whenever a new artist in SM is introduced in either SHINee or f(x), all of us and Sulli make the artist perform their songs for us. It's fun. We all have a good time and it gives us an excuse to spend some time together." Amber explained. 

"Really? That's really sweet. I don't know if Onew and I are doing that. He never told me about this." Sunyoung said.

"Text him and ask." Victoria said. 

Sunyoung nodded and took out her phone.

TO: Onew

FROM: Park Sunyoung

Hey Onew! 

I was just wondering if we were going to perform our songs for f(x), SHINee, and Sulli. Amber is asking me. 

 

TO: Sunyoung

FROM: Onew

Yes, I think we should. Key's been bugging me to. How about tomorrow? We don't have any schedules and neither do SHINee. Does f(x) or Sulli have any?

"Victoria unni, Sulli, do you have any schedules tomorrow?" Sunyoung called out. 

"No, we don't. Why?" Sulli questioned. 

"We're presenting our songs tomorrow. Okay?" Sunyoung said.

"Really? That's great! I can't wait! Yah, Choi Jinri, we have to get the camcorder! These performances should definitely be captured." Krystal cheered, grabbing Sulli's hand. 

"Soojung-ah, relax! It's not that big of a deal!" Sunyoung tried to calm Krystal down. 

"Yes, it is. It's you and Onew. OnYoung!!!" Amber teased. 

Sunyoung groaned and texted Onew back.

TO: Onew

FROM: Park Sunyoung

Nope, they don't. Let's do it tomorrow then.  Okay?

~Sunyoung

TO: Sunyoung

FROM: Onew

Okay. I'll text you the details of our performances later. :) 

Black&White hwaiting~! 

Sunyoung smiled at Onew's sweet message. If only Onew remained this sweet....