Chapter 002

The Vanity in My Love

~~Chapter 002~~

Luna stepped into her and Onew's room. She sighed, clutching her books and placing them on her bed. Although she had been in South Korea for two weeks already, she still was adjusting to the time lapse and the systematic routine of Lee Jinki.She was also struggling to keep her grades up and it did not help that she was not a bright student.

A minute later, Onew walked in and stared at Luna's books on the table. Soon, he picked them up and tossed them underneath the bed. 

"Yah!! Lee Jinki! What are you doing?" Luna exclaimed, bending down to get her books. 

"You must learn how to put away things after you are done with them. This is a lesson you must learn from." Onew stated, toneless. 

"How come you don't put away your books?" Luna gestured to Onew's belongings on his table.

"Unlike you, I study every day for four hours. My books are always on the table." Onew said, opening a textbook. 

"Yah, I study a lot. You just don't see me." Luna denied. 

"Really? I should see you studying at least once. You're always hanging around me." Onew smirked. "And, you must call me Onew." 

Luna, becoming frustrated, left the room. Before she left, she took a random textbook with her. 

Luna had an exam coming up tomorrow, yet she understood nothing of what her professors were lecturing about. Luna had previously asked Onew to explain the lessons being taught, but all he said made her even more confused. 

"Yah, Luna Park, you can do this! 1, 2, 3 fighting!" Luna encouraged herself, as she studied the textbook and attempted to learn at least something.

~~~

"Luna, good luck on your exam!" Mrs.Lee called to Luna, as she climbed into Onew's car.

"Komapseumnida!" Luna waved. Onew chuckled quietly, and Luna turned to look at him. 

"Yah, why are you laughing?" Luna asked. She believed that Onew had a nice laugh and smile, so it didn't really matter to her the reason he was laughing. It was more of a sake of having a conversation with her crush that she spoke. 

"Why do you care?" Onew said, looking at Luna from the rearview mirror. He still did not allow her to sit next to him. That spot was reserved for his parents and his future girlfriend/wife. 

"Aiish. I was just wondering. Yah, don't you get bored just sitting in silence?" Luna wondered.

"Aniyo. I'm driving. You cannot drive distracted." Onew replied. 

"Fine, let's listen to music." 

"No. I do not have a particular interest for music." Onew stated. 

"Do you know any artists of the music industry?" Luna questioned.

"Yes, I do know a few." Silence filled the car. 

"Yah! How about we play a game? I hum a song and you can guess what it is."  Luna suddenly exclaimed. 

Before Onew could utter a word, Luna began to hum Wonder Girls' "Tell Me". After a minute, Luna paused. 

"You don't know this song, do you?" Luna chuckled. Onew shook his head shyly.

"That's alright. Hey, do you play an instrument?" 

"No. It's a waste of my time." 

"Aissh. Everything is a waste of your time. However, did you know that studies have shown that playing a musical instrument increases your concentration and focus? I know how to play the piano. That's all. But, I guess you don't need any concentration, do you? You already are the epitome of intelligence. You can be the next Albert Einstein." Luna stated. 

Blushing at Luna's flattery, Onew said, "Really? Maybe I should play an instrument." 

Luna's face lit up. "That's great! I can teach you!!"

The remainder of the car ride went on with Luna's alacrity of teaching Onew how to play an instrument and Onew' slight worry for the exam.

~~~

Luna took a deep breath and flipped open her test booklet. The questions were much more challenging than she expected them to be.'

She continued reading and answering the questions  with hesitation every few questions. 

She glanced at Onew and noticed him furiously waving his pen back and forth on the paper. She sighed. It might be hopeless. She will fail the exam. 

~~~

When Luna stepped inside the house after her classes had ended for the day, she ran to Mrs.Lee with tears streaming down her cheeks. 

"Aigoo...Luna, what happened?" Mrs.Lee hugged Luna.

"Omeoni! I don't like it here. The classes are tough! I don't understand anything! I probably failed my exam that I took today. I want to go back to umma and appa!" Luna burst out. 

"Luna, relax. It's alright. You can't go back, dear. We spent a lot of money to get you here." Mrs.Lee said.

Luna sighed. She rushed to the room she shared with Onew and fell onto her bed. Finally, she sat up and hugged her knees. 

Luna reflected back on what her mother had warned before Luna had left for South Korea.

"Luna, please don't trouble Mrs.Lee, okay? Study well. I know you are a bright girl, and even smart people struggle to learn new material sometimes. This school will help you become the best you can be. Just make an effort." Mrs.Park smiled.

"Yah!" Luna jumped, startled at Onew's shout.  

"What are you doing?" Luna saw Onew sitting on her bed. She slowly inched away, blushing at their proximity. 

"I know you are struggling. So, umma told me to help you study." Onew said awkwardly staring at the ground. 

"Really? You'll help me?" Luna asked.

"Only if you study with effort." Onew answered. 

"Yes, I'll try my best!" Luna nodded.

"Before I hand you your daily schedule, you will need to know in order to rank in second place for the standardized exams given, you must be able to beat some kid named Luhan. If you study hard enough, it should be easy." Onew advised.

"Okay. What about first place?" 

"There isn't a chance you will be ranked first. I have claimed that spot since I entered this university." Onew replied smugly. 

Luna smirked. "Okay, whatever you say." 

And so, Luna's journey to success began with the help of Onew.

Author's Note: 

Hi chingus! I truly apologize for not updating in so so long! Studies have taken over my life. I will update more often for this story to make it up!

So, how was this chapter?