Chapter 030

The Vanity in My Love
~~Chapter 030~~
 
Jonghyun contemplated for a few minutes before knocking on the door of Key's house. Amber opened it and greeted Jonghyun brightly. 
 
"Hey Jonghyun oppa! Do you need Key?" Amber asked, letting him come in. 
 
"Actually I want to talk to both of you about something." Jonghyun said discreetly. 
 
"Sure. I'll go call Key!" Amber said. 
 
Jonghyun took a seat on a single couch chair and took a deep breath, nervous to speak. Minutes later, Key and Amber arrived and took their place. 
 
"So, what's up Jonghyun hyung?" Key smiled. 
 
"So, you know the situation between Sunyoung and I, right?" Jonghyun began. Key and Amber nodded. 
 
"Well, I think that I want to propose to her." Jonghyun let out a deep breath. Amber gasped and covered . 
 
"Really? Dude, go for it if you feel confident." Key said, smiling falsely. 
 
"Would she accept it though?" Jonghyun frowned, his fists clenching. 
 
"Why not? I'm sure she loves you a lot." Key assured, glancing at Amber. 
 
"She does, I guess. Thanks, dude. You're both great friends! I'll go to talk to Sunyoung's parents about this and receive their approval. I'll see you later, Amber." 
 
"Anytime, Jonghyun oppa. Bye." Amber said, closing the door as Jonghyun practically ran to his car. His joy was palpable which made it even more difficult for Amber to say that he shouldn't propose. 
 
The minute Jonghyun left, Key immediately called Minho and Victoria, the main people who disliked Onew and Sunyoung dating other people. The others were followers of these two in the "battle" to make the OnYoung ship real. 
~~~
It had begun a year after Sunyoung had left Korea. Jonghyun and Onew were busy with their several schedules, while the rest of SHINee were not as occupied. f(x) had just finished promoting their new album and were currently resting before they began preparations for their solo concert. Sulli had successfully concluded her movie filming and only had to attend press conferences and interviews with news reporters.
 
Victoria and Minho had noticed that Onew had become less jovial since Sunyoung had left. From this observation, they had spread the word about OnYoung being true to their friends(excluding Jonghyun and Onew) and decided to meet up with them to discuss this. 
 
Thus, on a cloudy morning, seven talented idols met up at SHINee's and f(x)'s common room. 
 
*The following part will only include only the dialogue of the characters.
 
Minho: Okay, so everyone's here, right? 
 
Victoria: Yes, everyone's here. 
 
Sulli: Why did you call us here?
 
Minho: We want Sunyoung noona and Onew hyung to become a couple.
 
Key: That's impossible though. Sunyoung noona is in America and Onew hyung is here. How will they be able to compromise their problems and confess to each other?
 
Victoria: Minho and I decided that we would force them to speak to each other and get closer with our plans.
 
Krystal: And what are your plans, unni?
 
Victoria: Making them sit next to each other whenever possible. Pushing them to go to the same places without each other knowing. For example, we can tell them to go to the grocery store at the same time and of course, they'll see each other and talk. There's a whole list of ideas, so I'll just tell you guys what to do and you'll enforce the idea. 
 
Taemin: Noona, are you sure this will work? Those two are already dating other people and are happy. 
 
Amber: Actually, I don't think so, Taemin. Onew oppa has gotten less cheerful ever since Sunyoung left. 
 
Taemin: But he didn't even come to see her off at the dorm. 
 
Key: Quick confession. Onew hyung told me that he was trying to call Sunyoung to wish her goodbye, but Jung Ah-sshi was forcing him to stay at her parents' house so they can spend time together. It was impossible to leave, because Jung Ah-sshi was incredibly stubborn at that moment.
 
Victoria: Really? Then we know that Onew does care about Sunyoung. 
 
Krystal: Aiish. Unni, you're being delusional. Obviously, Onew oppa cares about unni. They've known each other since they were born. 
 
Sulli: Krystal's right. Minho and Victoria unni, what if they are over each other? We can't force them to do all these fatuous ideas you are creating. It would also be wasting time for us. 
 
Minho: Sulli, I have a feeling that they like each other. It's just that they're too stubborn to say so. 
 
Key: Now that I think about it, maybe it's true. Minho has a good point there. We never know. Miracles can happen. 
 
Amber: Okay, so what is our plan?
 
Victoria: Wait until Sunyoung comes back and then we start acting. 
 
Taemin: When is she coming back? 
 
Minho: We don't know. Krystal, can you ask her when she's coming the next time she calls?
 
Krystal: Sure. She usually calls me or Victoria unni. I'll tell you immediately after she calls. 
 
Amber: Wow, Krystal. Of course, for Minho, you tell him immediately about anything important. When it comes to us, you're so negligent. 
 
Sulli: I know right? It's like Minho is special to her. 
 
Krystal: Yah, Choi Jinri! Focus on this!
 
Key: It's okay, Krys. I understand your feelings of frustration.
 
Taemin: Yeah. It happens to Minho hyung sometimes. 
 
Minho: Guys, stop teasing Krystal. 
 
Sulli: This is so cute! Now, he's standing up for her. 
 
Victoria: Okay, we're done. I'm going to leave now. Zhou Mi is calling. Bye! 
 
Now, it was their second meeting after that year. Amber and Key were anxious to tell their friends the news of Jonghyun's proposal. They had dialed everyone to come to their house for an emergency. 
 
Once everyone had gathered in the commodious living room of Amber and Key, Amber revealed, "So, apparently, Jonghyun oppa is going to propose to Sunyoung soon."
 
"PROPOSE?!" Taemin shouted. Sulli put her arm around Taemin to calm him.
 
"What is this? This cannot happen. What if she says yes?" Minho stated. 
 
"We can't do anything anymore. We haven't done much as a team and it's aggravating." Key grilled, pounding his fist on the coffee table.
 
"Yah, don't break the table! I'm sorry, guys. My delusion led me to thinking of these stupid ideas for Onew and Sunyoung to come together and in the end, we can't even use them. It would be improper to try to bring them together once Sunyoung accepts his proposal." Victoria apologized, looking guilty. 
 
Krystal reached out for Victoria's hand and squeezed it. "Vic-umma! Don't be so moody! You've done a lot in these past few days and we're so thankful for your help in this. Without you, this would've never happened. We can always come back to the plans if Sunyoung unni rejects Jonghyun oppa." 
 
"I was just thinking.... Wouldn't Jonghyun oppa feel terrible if he found out that we didn't like him and Sunyoung together?" Sulli pointed out. 
 
"That's why we have to be vigilant of what we say at all times." Minho said, looking directly at Key and Krystal, the tongue-slippers. 
 
"Yah! Choi Minho, I'm not that bad!" Krystal pouted, crossing her arms.  
 
"So, what do we do now?" Taemin sighed, taking deep breaths.
 
"Let's wait and see. We'll continue with the plans Vic-umma made and see if they can spark feelings." Minho declared.
 
"That's so indecent! How can you ship an engaged woman with another man?!" Victoria reprimanded.
 
"Noona, relax. It's not like Sunyoung noona is going to notice that we're shipping her and Onew hyung." Key said.
 
"Exactly. Please, unni! Nothing bad will happen. Hopefully." Amber beseeched.
 
"Fine. Listen to Minho, everyone. I'm still doubtful about this. What if Sunyoung confirms that she is over Onew?" Victoria said.
 
"Stay hopeful. You never know." Sulli said. 
 
And with that, the "meeting" ended and everyone lingered for a while, discussing Minho's and Krystal's wedding plans and arrangements.
 
~~~
 
Jonghyun knocked twice at the house of Mr. and Mrs. Park and waited patiently with a basket of fruit in his clutch. Mrs. Park opened the door and was surprised to see that her daughter's boyfriend was standing outside.
 
"Jonghyun, come in. It's so nice to see you." Mrs. Park smiled. It was true. Though Sunyoung's parents had wished Sunyoung and Onew would end up together, Mrs. Park had learned to like Jonghyun for his sweet behavior towards Sunyoung and everyone around him. 
 
"Annyeong haseyo, Mrs. Park. This is for you and Mr. Park. Is he home?" Jonghyun bowed and held out the fruit basket.
 
"Aigoo, Jonghyun. You didn't have to. And I told you to call me omeoni. We're family now. He's home. Have a seat. I'll go call him." Mrs. Park said, gesturing towards the couch. 
 
"Okay." Jonghyun took a seat, looking around the living room at family pictures. He noticed that most of the pictures included Onew and his family. A particular photograph of Sunyoung hugging Onew tightly aggravated him and he immediately looked away. 
 
"Jonghyun." Mr. Park greeted. 
 
"Annyeong haseyo." Jonghyun immediately stood up and bowed. 
 
"What brings you here Jonghyun? Actually, we have to go to a small party in a while." Mrs. Park said. 
 
"Omeoni, abeoji, I love Sunyoung so much. She is my life and I would do anything for her. I will never ever neglect her or hurt her. She is my everything. I want to have permission from you to ask her to marry me. May I?" 
 
Mrs. Park put her hand over in shock. Mr. Park cleared his throat and glanced at Mrs. Park. 
 
"Jonghyun, it is your choice. If you take care of my Sunyoung with love, then I will allow her to become yours. Omeoni and I have spoken about this before and we agree that we will not interfere in Sunyoung's love life unless it is mandatory. But, in the end, it is up to Sunyoung to say yes or no. We hope both of you will be happy in the end however. That is the true importance. We give you our permission." Mr. Park spoke up. 
 
"Thank you so much, abeoji. I will not disappoint you as a son-in-law. I will take my leave then." Jonghyun did a ninety-degree bow. 
 
"Arasso. See you later, Jonghyun." Mrs. Park smiled. As soon as Mrs. Park closed the door, Mr. Park dialed Mr. and Mrs. Lee about the proposal. 
 
"Oh dear. What will we do about this then?" Mr. Lee asked. 
 
"It's too late now. We can't do anything. I guess the dream of our children marrying is officially dead." Mr. Park sighed.
 
"Don't say that now. We have to stay hopeful. What if Sunyoung says no?" 
 
"What if she doesn't? Besides, soon, Jinki is going to propose and everyone will go their own ways."
 
"Still, let's remain hopeful." Mr. Lee said.
 
"Ne. Alright, then. I'll see you later." Mr. Park said, hanging up.
 
~~~ 
 
Was Sunyoung to say yes to Jonghyun? Or would she reject him and realize her feelings for Onew?