Chapter 031

The Vanity in My Love

~~Chapter 031~~

Onew pushed open the door to the coffee shop, where Minho, Krystal, Victoria, and Key were waiting for him. Onew frowned at the sight of the worried looks on each one of their faces. Victoria was rapidly biting her fingernails and Minho, though usually calm, had a tense look on his face.

"Hey guys. What's up? It's been a while since I've seen you all." Onew smiled.

"Hi Onew oppa. How are you? How's life?" Krystal asked.

"It's great, I guess. Jung Ah and I have been getting into some fights lately, but we've made up pretty quickly after each one though." Onew responded.

"Oh, well, that's good then." Krystal continued, glancing at Victoria.

Victoria cleared and Key, who was making small conversation with Onew, quieted down. Onew turned to face Victoria, who was sitting next to him.

"Onew, have you spoken to Sunyoung or Jonghyun lately?" Victoria asked.

"No,  I haven't." Onew replied, his eyes looking away from Victoria. He smiled at the thought of Sunyoung's high-pitched, feminine voice.

"Well, don't tell this to Sunyoung noona, but Jonghyun hyung is planning to propose to her. He told Key the other day." Minho stated in a straightfoward manner. Krystal widened her eyes at his frank words.

"Really?" Onew's eyes softened and he looked up at the ceiling. For some reason, it felt as though someone had stabbed his heart.

"Yeah, really." Victoria said softly. The table went silent, watching Onew's reaction. He seemed to be in shock and Key jabbed Minho's arm, as a way to reprimand him for being so harsh. Minho shrugged his shoulders and turned to face Onew.

"Did he already propose to her?" Onew questioned.

Krystal shook her head. "He says he will do it tomorrow."

"Will Sunyoung say yes? What do you think, Vic?" Onew turned to Victoria.

"I honestly don't know. It's up to her to choose." Victoria said.

"Onew hyung, you can stay here if you want. Victoria noona, Krystal, and I have to prepare more for Minho's and Krystal's wedding. Minho, you're staying, right?" Key said.

"Yes, I am." Minho said. Onew nodded and rested his elbows on the table.

"Hyung, are you okay?" Minho asked carefully, once the three others left.

"Minho-ah, I'm so shocked. Why would Jonghyun act so quick? Is it because of me?" Onew wondered aloud.

"Maybe. Maybe not. Jonghyun hyung holds grudges until the end and once he has his mind on something, he will never give it up. You know that. This was probably on his mind for a while. He doesn't make decisions out of nowhere. Hyung, take it easy. I'm here, Vic umma is here, Key, Krys, Sulliver, Amber, Taeminnie....everyone is here for you." Minho said.

Is Sunyoung here for me? Onew couldn't help but think when Minho made that statement.

"Thank you, Minho. I feel so guilty now. I'm SHINee's leader and I should be the one you guys lean on, not the opposite. I'm sorry for being a bad leader these days."

"Onew hyung! Stop saying things like that! You've supported and aided us a countless number of times. We all owe you this. You should know that." Minho sighed, looking at his hyung's distressed manner. It didn't seem like him at all and Minho yearned for his black aura to disappear and for Onew to be lighthearted and joyful all the time. However, only Sunyoung could make him happy and Minho was positive about that.

~~~

"Jonghyun-ah..." Sunyoung leaned on Jonghyun's shoulder, as he worked on some compositions. 

"Yes?" Jonghyun turned to look at her and smiled at her pouty face. He kissed her forehead gently and reverted to his work again.

"Can we go somewhere? Maybe to a coffee shop or the mall or an amusement park? We can ride a merry-go-round! It'll be like when I rode with...." Sunyoung quieted down, as she recalled the memory of her infinite time on a merry-go-round with Onew. 

Twenty years ago...

"Lee Jinki, open your eyes! This isn't a roller coaster!" Sunyoung nudged Jinki, who was holding tightly onto the pole of a metal horse on the merry-go-round. Sunyoung giggled at his closed eyes and the fear in his body. 

"Yah, Park Sunyoung, leave me alone! This can be scary to some people!" Jinki shrieked, his eyes remaining closed. 

"Jinki, it's not scary. This is the slowest ride there can be. Come on. On three, you can open your eyes." Sunyoung smiled. She reached out for Jinki's hand and squeezed it gently. Sunyoung leisurely counted, watching Jinki prepare himself. He took a deep breath and opened his eyes. 

Sunyoung grinned brightly and Onew slowly smiled. 

"You did it! I'm proud of you, Lee Jinki!" Sunyoung clapped her hands.

"With who?" Jonghyun faced Sunyoung again, curious. Could it be Onew?

"With my friend. She used to be so scared of all the rides in the amusement parks." Sunyoung lied. Jonghyun stared at her for a moment and then sighed. 

"Sunyoung, can we go tomorrow? I'm busy today." Jonghyun pleaded. 

"Jonghyunnie...please? Can we go today?" Sunyoung begged, hugging Jonghyun's arm. 

"Sunyoungie, please? Can we go tomorrow?" Jonghyun cutely asked, doing some aegyo. Sunyoung sighed and then slowly nodded. Jonghyun's rare aegyo had won her over. 

"Fine. I'll be back though. I need to go somewhere." Sunyoung said, standing up. 

"Okay. Be safe, my love." Jonghyun waved to her from the kitchen table. 

"Yes! Bye bye!" Sunyoung shut the door behind her and stepped into her car. 

~~~

Sunyoung walked into a street bar tiredly and settled at a table. It was peculiar of her to come to a bar alone at night. However, she wanted to be alone today and it was a way for her to relieve her stress.

Sunyoung ordered a bottle of soju and easily finished it. She stared at the other bottles lined up near the entrance of the bar and debated whether she should order another bottle or not.  

Nearby, she heard someone mumbling something and looked at that person. 

Is that Onew? Sunyoung peered closer to the person resting his head on the table. It was the same brown hair, round face, small eyes, and long nose of his and Sunyoung lifted his hood to confirm her guess. 

"Onew! Get up! What are you doing here?" Sunyoung exclaimed, nudging him. Onew mumbled and pushed away her hand. 

"Onew, come on. You're an idol. You can't be found drunk by reporters or fans. This would create a scandal." Sunyoung whispered, touching Onew's shoulder. Onew looked up with a dreamy look in his eyes. 

"Sunyoung, is that you?" Onew whispered. Sunyoung nodded, urging him to get up and go home.

"Sunyoung, let's go somewhere together." Onew smiled. Sunyoung stared at Onew and observed three bottles of soju on the table he was leaning on.

Sunyoung blushed and shook her head vehemently. "Onew-ah, you have to go home. Look at how much you've drank. Do you want to get sick? You don't even have a high tolerance." 

"So, you remember that about me." Onew chuckled, taking Sunyoung's hand and holding it. Sunyoung blushed furiously and looked away from Onew's sweet gaze. She glanced at the time and realized Jonghyun might be looking for her and Jung Ah would be worried about Onew. 

"Onew, we have to go. Please, Jung Ah will be worried for you. I'll be dropping you home, okay?" Sunyoung said. Onew went quiet and Sunyoung looked at him, feeling his forehead. 

"I don't want to go home, Sunyoung-ah. Can you and I stay here and talk?" Onew asked. 

"We can talk in the car, okay?" Sunyoung said, smiling. She forced Onew to get up and began to walk with his weight heavily lying on her. Onew murmured something unintelligible and Sunyoung ignored it, walking towards the bar owner.

"Ahjusshi, can I keep my car here for the night? I'll come tomorrow and get it." Sunyoung asked, unsure of whether she was doing the right thing or not.

"Sure, be careful with your boyfriend though. Do you need help with him?" The bar owner questioned.

"No, no, it's fine." Sunyoung tried to refuse his help, but it was difficult. In the end, the bar owner and Sunyoung dragged Onew to his car where Sunyoung searched for Onew's car keys in his jacket's pockets. Finally, she settled Onew in the backseat of the car and thanked the bar owner sincerely.

"Be safe!" The owner called, waving to Sunyoung from the back.

Sunyoung looked at Onew from the rearview mirror to assure he was okay.

"Onew-ah, are you okay? Do you need water?" Sunyoung asked.

"That's not my name. My name is Lee Jinki." Onew laughed.

"Okay. Jinki-ah, do you need water? Are you okay?" Sunyoung repeated. Onew paused for a moment and Sunyoung looked at him again, worried that he was not returning an answer.

"Sunyoung, can you say that again?"

"Are you okay?" Sunyoung reiterated, confused as to why she needed to repeat that.

"Say my name. Lee Jinki." Onew said.

"Lee Jinki." Sunyoung smiled.

"Can you come here?" Onew asked. Sunyoung hesitated for a moment and pulled the car over. She stepped out of the car, despite the dark night and it being late in the night. 

Sunyoung opened the car door and Onew descended from the car, suprising Sunyoung.

"I'm not that drunk." Onew chuckled.

Sunyoung shook her head, smiling. "No drunk person says that they are drunk. You definitely are too drunk." 

Suddenly, Onew stepped forward towards Sunyoung. He wrapped his arms tightly around her and rested his head on her shoulder. Tears slipped from his cheeks and landed on her shoulder.

Sunyoung froze, shocked by Onew's tears. Never had Onew cried in front of her or anyone else.

Sunyoung patted his back gently and spoke softly, "Jinki-ah, what's wrong? Tell me." 

"Sunyoung. I miss us. I miss the past where you and I used to spend time with each other, watching dramas and yelling at each other for which character was going to end up with the main lead. I miss it so much. I want you, Sunyoung." Onew revealed, tears continuing to spill from his eyes.

"Jinki-ah, what can I do?" Sunyoung sighed. 

They remained like that a few for minutes, until Onew finally passed out and Sunyoung placed him in the car and drove to his house. 

When she rang the doorbell to Onew's home, Sunyoung was faced with a livid Jung Ah. 

"Yah Park Sunyoung. What did you do with my oppa?!" Jung Ah spit out, glaring at Sunyoung.