Chapter 005

The Vanity in My Love

~~Chapter 005~~

Onew mumbled to himself and stared at his evaluation sheet. He sighed. He should have been less impetuous and over-confident that he would do well. He had been foolish not to study well and repeatedly read the chapters on the evaluation.

Luna looked at Onew. His eyes were slightly drooping, as he struggled to read a lesson from his textbook.

"Yah, sleep! You won't be able to concentrate anyway. Why not just rest and take a moment to tell yourself that everyone makes mistakes?" Luna shook her head.

"I did lousy on this evaluation. I must rank first in the final exam. I'll easily be able to exceed your score.Anyways, it's my duty to not disappoint myself. My parents could care less. They're satisfied with anything. Me? I am insatiable until I get what I want." Onew said.

"I am as capable as you are in doing well." Luna grumbled to herself. Her self-esteem increased at that moment and she told herself that she would try her hardest in this exam.

"Don't overwork yourself." Luna said, putting her head down on her pillow. Suddenly, her phone buzzed. Luna looked up tiredly and simply ignored it.

Onew grew inquisitive. He observed Luna's laying figure and decided to accept that she wouldn't turn to face him for at least five minutes. He reached for Luna's phone and saw that she received from an unknown caller.

He opened the text and it read:
Annyeong Luna-ssi,
          You're so beautiful. Your smile, your eyes, your everything. How is that you can look so beautiful all the time? You don't even put any make up on and you still look amazing every time I see you. How has Lee Onew still not have fallen for you? You always smile and are enthusiastic. I love that about you. If you give me the chance, I can show you a better world. And that is one with me. Please, give me a call some day.
                              -Jung Yunho

Onew smirked. "You don't have a chance with her." He hurriedly typed in a reply and sent it to Yunho.
Yunho-ssi,
I have no interest in you. Please leave me alone. You want to show me a better world? I'm sorry, but I already have a perfectly fine world. Thank you for admiring my beauty, however.
-Luna

Onew deleted the message and blocked Yunho's number from Luna's phone. He put the phone down and went back to his work.
~~~~
Onew frustratedly closed the textbook and recited the words he had read for the fourth time. His mind was clouded with many terms and ideas that he could not concentrate. Mrs.Lee sighed at her son's struggle, watching him from a proximity.

"Jinki-ah, it's alright. You can do well on your final exam. Cheer up! Your prom will be coming up! Think about who you can take and how much fun you will have." Mrs.Lee put her arm around Onew and sat down on the couch with him,

"Umma, I won't be going to prom. I need to study. I have to get into the foreign exchange student program for the Ivy League Universities in America. Only one person can go from each college from South Korea. I want to be chosen from the 3,500 in this college. That's why I need to get a perfect score. I can't waste my time going to prom." Onew explained.

"It's only for a night. Take Luna with you. She likes you, you know?" Mrs.Lee smiled.

"I will NOT go with her. She's too childish for me." Onew said, grimacing.

"Jinki-ah, don't be so harsh. She's a sweet and caring girl. Just give her a chance." Mrs.Lee chuckled, and left Onew for his studying. Minutes later, Luna peeked over Onew's shoulder.

"Yah, do you want me to help you study?" Luna whispered. Onew was startled by her silent movement.

"Yah! Stop sneaking up on me like that!" Onew shifted away from Luna, who still was leaning on the back of the couch. Luna giggled and sat across from him.

"So, do you need any help?" She asked, growing earnest.

"Aniyo. I study well on my own." Luna watched Onew's eyes constantly looking through the pages over and over again. He was like a machine.

"Yah, do you not want my help in anything? I can never do anything for you, can I?" Luna grew frustrated.

"No. I told you. I study well on my own. Please leave me alone." Onew said. He began to hum a familiar tune as he studied.

Luna's eyes grew bright as she recognized the tune. "Omo, it's One Spring Day by 2AM! You listen to modern-day music?" 

Onew glared and tried to seem cool. "Of course. I know a lot more songs than you do."

Luna smirked. "Then why didn't you know the song I hummed in the game we played in the car?"

Onew clenched his teeth and accepted defeat. "Aiish. I was too concentrated on driving then. Let me study now!"

"If only Luhan-ssi had a distraction, so his studies might be affected..." Luna sighed, absent-mindedly.

"Yeah, that would make my life easier." Onew agreed. His eyes suddenly lit up.

"Yah, we can distract him."

"How? We? I'm involved in this?" Luna questioned.

"Yes, you're the one I need. I am so intelligent for coming up with this idea." Onew said.

"Alright, what's your idea?"

"Make Luhan fall in love with you. You already have a bunch of guys following you, so why not add another one to the list?" Onew explained.

Luna blinked in disbelief and disappointment. Though she knew it was hopeless, she had wished that Onew would have some feelings for her, even if they were miniscule.

"Really? How would that do anything?"

"Easy. He will be so in love, he wouldn't have any time to do anything else." Onew smiled in satisfaction.

"Yah, I can't just pretend to love him! He might find out. It's mean, too. I don't want to hurt Luhan-ssi's feelings." Luna said.

"Aiish. You won't. You won't actually go on dates. Just smile and compliment him once in a while. Dress nicely from now on." Onew said.

Luna sighed. She looked at Onew's alacrity to execute this plan. She didn't want to upset him, but she knew that this might cause hurt feelings, in Luhan's case. However, Luna's infatuation for Onew was stronger and she reluctantly agreed to do it.

"Thank you!" Onew smiled brightly. "So, we'll start tomorrow. You sit near him, fortunately, so from there, we can continue with minor compliments and maybe exchanging phone numbers."

Luna smiled back and nodded. She hoped to see that smile forever.

~~~

"Yah, what are you wearing?" Onew stared at Luna's simple pink blouse and black skinny jeans.

"What's wrong?" Luna asked, looking down.

"It looks too plain." Onew said. He dragged her back to their room and then opened her closet. He scanned through the piles of clothes neatly folded into rows of shelves.

"Where are your dresses?" Luna pointed to the top row.

Onew reached for a navy blue dress with roses and other reddish-pink flowers embedded on them. The back of the dress, from the shoulders to the uppermost part of the back, was netted.

"Wear this." Onew ordered. Luna glared at him.

"Aiish. You're so annoying." Luna muttered, as she went to the bathroom.

As Luna walked into the classroom, eyes, especially male, turned to her. She looked dazzling for a normal college day. Onew walked in behind her. He spotted himself staring at Luna more than usual and couldn't help but feel the smallest amount of anger when Choi Minho complimented Luna.

Luna sat down and turned to her notes.

"Excuse me, Luna-ssi?" A male voice cleared his throat. Luna looked up and her heart skipped a beat.

She glanced at Onew, who nodded to her.

"Annyeong haseyo, Luhan-ssi. Do you need anything?" Luna smiled brightly. Luhan just gazed at her.

"Excuse me?" Luna said.

"Sorry. You look beautiful. I mean, you usually look pretty, but its like you are the epitome of beauty."

Luna blushed. "Thank you very much. That's so kind of you. You're so nice. I should talk to you more." Luna found herself smitten with his good-natured personality.

"I can say the same about you. Do you want to get some coffee later?" Luhan asked casually.

"I don't drink coffee, but okay."

"Meet me outside after class." Luhan smiled at her. She nodded and turned to the front of the room, where the professor began to speak.

Mid-lesson, Luna turned her head to look at Onew. He caught her eye after five seconds and gave her a thumbs up. Luna returned a shy smile.

She sighed. Aiish.Lee Jinki! Why don't you understand that I like you? Do you know how painful it is for me to pretend to like someone else?

~~~

Luna and Luhan settled at an outdoor table at Summer Day Coffee. Luna ordered a strawberry smoothie, while Luhan ordered his usual caramel mocha.

"So, what are your interests?" Luhan asked.

"I love to sing and I want to become one someday. My parents are against it though." Luna said.

"Really? Can I hear you sing once?"

"Maybe later. Tell me about yourself."

"I love singing, like you. But I plan on starting my own business."

"Well, plan quickly. Our last year as college students is coming soon!" Luna smiled.

Luhan laughed. "I should. I plan on studying more  after this year though. So, I still have some time."

"Oh, that's nice." Luna realized that she liked speaking with Luhan. He seemed to understand her and she could relate to him once in a while. He was benign, unlike Onew, who was stand-offish and cold to her.

The new friends parted and agreed to meet again soon.

"How about tomorrow?" Luhan suggested.

"Wow, that's so soon." Luna said. She kicked herself mentally.

That's how you get closer, pabo.

"Sorry. You're a fun person. We can meet whenever you want." Luhan said.

"No. We can meet tomorrow! Annyeong! I look forward to meeting you tomorrow. Same place?" Luna smiled genuinely.

"How about the library?" Luhan said.

Luna nodded and waved goodbye to Luhan.

~~~

Onew immediately flooded Luna with questions the moment she walked in.

"Yah, what did you say? How did it go? Did he like you? Did you keep his interest?" Onew demanded.

"Relax. He seemed pretty interested in me and we're meeting tomorrow in the library at the same time." Luna said.

"So soon?" Onew frowned.

"I thought so, too, at first. I  grasped that this was the way to lure Luhan into me." Luna said.

"Okay." Onew nodded and went back to his studies.

When Luna left the room, he sighed. He hoped for one thing not to happen during this scheme. He did not want Luna falling in love with Luhan unfeigned.

Author's Note:

Hi chingus! How was this chapter?

What do you think of the introduction of Luhan into the story? It adds drama to the story, right?