CHAPTER 9 OF OSTs, PREMIERE NIGHT & FRIENDSHIPS REKINDLED

Redefining Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

HER POV:

Filming was done. The editing part was halfway through and now we just had to record a few songs for the soundtrack. Yonghwa oppa and I have started to become closer again, much to the delight of everyone else. As usual, I was the first to arrive in the studio. Not long after, Yong oppa arrived with the rest of my unnies.

“Tell me again what the 8 of them are doing here?!”  he asked me.

“I told you oppa, we’re going to record some songs. We finished the others. We just have the ballads to cover.”

“What? You called them over to participate in OUR project? You think these punks can hold a tune?! You can handle all the lines Joohyun-ah!”

I laughed because I knew what was coming.

“YAH!” (all 8)

Jessica, Sooyoung, and Hyoyeon unnie took turns hitting the back of Yong oppa’s head.

“How many times do I have to tell you not to address your noona as a punk! And mwoh?! Can’t hold a tune? Did you forget how many times I beat your in those karaokes and amateur singing contests? Huh?!”

“That’s just it, NOONA. Karaoke? AMATEUR singing contest? Hahahaa! I won you over a couple of times in school! now that’s more legit. Besides, your singing voice annoys me. You sound so nasal.”

“MWOH?! Yah Jung Yong! Come here!!”

Everybody else laughed and waited for the two to finish bickering.

“Don’t be so arrogant, Mr. Aura of Mystery. You never once beat Taeyeon-ah or Hongki during the singing evaluations. Even Lee Jonghyun scored higher than you in some of it. haha!” (Yuri)

“Look, Mr. Rocker. We all know how obsessed you are over our maknae, but can you not give her a break? Besides, this song will sound a lot better with 9 voices.” (Tiffany)

“And no offense, but you at ballads.” (Sooyoung)

Everyone laughed, and Yong oppa thought of making a remark but I cut off the conversation so we could proceed with the recording. I asked Yonghwa oppa to leave us in the studio, much to his dismay.

The recording went smoothly. We finished it up earlier than expected.

“Now that’s a wrap! Thanks unnies."

"No worries. Wow, so this is how it feels like to record an album. It feels great and fun." (Yoona)

"Looks like Girls' Generation would debut after all! Hahaha!" (Sunny)

"Aren't you ashamed to call yourself “girls” when you're practically ahjummas?"

We turned around to see Yonghwa oppa leaning on the door post.

"Ahjummas?!! Yah! Who are you calling an ahjumma?!!" (Hyoyeon)

And the cycle goes on...

4 Days Later...

A month passed since we were tasked to take on this project. The mini-theater room was prepared. Even if Yonghwa oppa and I decided against it, our friends proceeded with the whole “red carpet” thing as well as “backstage interviews” and such. They were all in for the “romcom experience” so we just let them be.

(just imagine this to be a bit bigger)

The audience was limited to that of the movie’s cast and crew, the GC and their friends/family (whoever they thought of inviting), Top10, and of course, my unnies. As the first scene of the movie played, I felt my heart racing. Is this really it? I felt Yonghwa oppa held my hand as if to reassure me that this project was worth all the effort. That gesture, obviously, didn’t go unnoticed as I heard teasing here and there.

You know what’s more interesting than the film itself? Watching the audience’s reaction. By the way they smiled, giggled, and spazzed with the scenes that unfolded, I felt relieved and happy. I can do romcoms after all.

As soon as the end credits of the first film began, the satisfied audience clapped. Yonghwa oppa and I exchanged knowing glances. The trailer for the unexpected 2nd film will air any minute now…3…2…1… and action!

“Wait…what’s that?”

“Is there something wrong? Why is another video playing?”

“I don’t think that’s a random video. Ssshhh!”

          “wait…is that what I think it is?”

          “a sequel?! You guys filmed a sequel?!!!!”

          “hey everyone! come back here! There’s a second movie!!! It’s not over!!! guysss!!!”

          The two of us laughed so hard as the rest of the audience abandoned whatever it was they planned on doing and scrambled back to their seats. They were far more invested with this sequel than its predecessor.

          The movie progressed and the “interviews” were playing onscreen. I squirmed in my seat, and watched how I delivered that unscripted performance. I scanned the room and found that everybody else was practically swooning in their seats. Mission accomplished.

          It was time for “the confrontation” scene we shot at Jeju island. I heard the staff whisper to their friends that they should really watch that scene. The tension was building up, until the outburst happened.

“BECAUSE I DON’T TRUST YOU!!! THERE! I SAID IT! You betrayed me. You left me when I needed you most. You were the first to turn your back when I expected you to be on my side. You chose to believe other people than the person you once called as your best friend. You accused me of being selfish, and because of that, I regretted my actions right away. I gave up my career for you! I chose to run after you at the exact moment the spotlight shone on me. I was right there, THIS close to achieving my dream, when I realized it wasn’t worth it if you wouldn’t be there with me. I ran and went after you. I waited for you for 6 hours! You said you’d be there but you weren’t, still, I waited.

Just when I decided to give you my heart, you keep giving me reasons to take it back. You could’ve fought with me before, but you had to choose the worst timing – when I was at the crossroads, in the midst of making life-changing decisions. I let go of so many things just so I could hold on to you, but what did you do? You threw me away. You were the first to let go of my hand.

That chance you’re asking for? I gave it already and you wasted it. You wasted it when you chose others before me, when you called me selfish, and when you refused to listen to my explanation. If I give you another chance, I don’t know if I’ll ever be at peace. At the back of my mind I’ll always wonder, “would he leave me again?” “will he turn his back on me when the going gets rough?” “will I face another betrayal? In what form this time?” and lastly, “am I strong enough to go through the same thing again?”

          It was hard enough to act out that scene but I didn’t know that it was even more difficult to actually see the final product. I saw the vulnerability and raw pain all over my face. I unconsciously shed a tear as I watched Yonghwa oppa’s heartbreaking performance – that one wherein Park Seju was lying on the ground and sobbing so hard. I wiped the tears immediately and looked back to the audience. There wasn’t a dry eye in the room. Some of my unnies even held hands and passed on tissues. I turned to my right and saw that even Yonghwa oppa was still affected by that scene. I gently squeezed his hand and he smiled.

          By the time that scene ended, the whole room was filled with muffled cries and sobs. I have long moved on from the drama so I hid in the dark corner of the room and took a picture of everyone. I couldn’t pass up this opportunity. Haha!

          The song “Everyday Love” (sung by Girls’ Generation of course, much to the delight of my unnies who recognized

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter