CHAPTER 31 GETTING TO KNOW YOU AND ME

Redefining Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

HER POV:

 

            “You won’t be needing that. Let me help you.” Yonghwa oppa said as he bent down to help me take off my shoes. We held hands as we made our way towards the beach. Just like it was last 2008, the area surrounding the romantic dinner setup was filled with artificial candles (to prevent incidences of my dress being set on fire). There were lamps and string designs hanging down from the tree.

 

I turned towards oppa and complimented him.

            “Wow. This is a total upgrade.”

            “I know. I have enough money to pay for a dinner table setup this time! Haha!”

            We made our way towards the table and took our seat. Yong oppa clapped his hands and after a few seconds, there were people who came by to serve our meal.

            “How’s the food? Do you like it?” he asked tentatively. One of the perks of dating your best friend is that he knows exactly what you want and what you don’t – especially when it comes to food.

            “Much better than the cheeseburger meal we had the last time we were here.”

            He put down his eating utensils and let out a hearty laugh.

            “Aigoo, Joohyun-ah. You’ll never let me forget about that, won’t you? That’s why I’m trying my best to make up for the things I failed to do the last time. Number one on my list would be our dinner. I don’t think I’ll survive another one of your violent fits if I brought in the greasiest double cheeseburger.” He laughed.

            “Hey! You managed to make it out of that situation unscathed. Even if I honestly wanted to mess your perfectly styled hair the moment you brought out that McDonald’s paperbag. I really thought you were kidding.”

            “I was too busy and nervous with everything that I totally forgot about the food! It was a good thing that I hadn’t eaten that meal yet. Do you remember how much you scolded me for that? I really thought that date was over and that you’d leave me here.”

            “Even if I wanted to leave, where would I go? I wasn’t that familiar with this place back then.” I decided to change the mood. “Even if that was the greasiest meal I ate in my entire high school life, that was still one of the most memorable days I’ve had.”

            We finished eating the rest of our meal and decided to go for a walk. This has always been one of my hidden fantasies: holding hands while walking on a moonlit beach. The fact that Yong oppa is the guy holding my hand right now makes this all the more perfect. I kept trying to simmer down my giddiness but the oppa beside me has sharp observation skills.

            “Yah, what’s so funny? Why are you smiling like that? ey! Share the joke with me!”

            He looks so cutely frustrated that I can’t help but to laugh out loud.

            “Is there something in my face? Stuck between my teeth? What?! Yah, Seo Joohyun, if you don’t tell me what’s so funny right now I’m going to carry you and throw you in the sea!”

            At the mention of “you” “throw” and “sea” I stopped laughing and glared at him. Now it was his turn to laugh.

            “Aigoo so cute! You really think I’d throw you there? In this weather and outfit?! Hahahaha!”
           

“Oppa, do I have to remind you what you did when our school conducted a trip? You were the first to throw me into the sea the moment the girls lost in that game of tag!”

He stopped laughing when he remembered the incident I mentioned. As soon as we lost that game, Yonghwa oppa didn’t waste a second to carry me and throw me into the sea.

“You looked really cute and funny when you got so mad that time! Haha!”

“Oppa! If the boys lost, I would’ve done the same to you.”

“You can carry me?!” he teased.

“No. I’d just throw your precious simpson doll instead.” I said. I really would’ve done that if things worked out that way back then.

“Yah! Don’t bring my innocent Bart Simpson into this! Anyway, are you ready?”

“For what?”

“Look over there.”

 

 

I directed my gaze towards the direction he pointed and instantly, another smile managed to creep into my face. We continued to walk until we reached the place.

“Wow. This is really an upgrade from the last time! I remember the falling newspapers.”

I said. The last ‘cottage’ or shelter was made up of newspapers and those blankets we used as props for one of the stage plays in school.

“This is what I was aiming to achieve back then, but well, uh, you know how it worked out the last time. So now that I’ve earned enough, I’m finally able to do it. Better late than never.”

I sat first as he two portable air coolers, one for the both of us. It wasn’t that hot but oppa insisted we keep in on to ward off possible mosquitoes and whatever bugs.

“So, what now?” I asked him.

“Now is what I would call, “Yongseo’s Getting To Know You and Me.”” he proudly announced.

“But, don’t we already know each other?” I wondered out loud.

“We just had our ‘meet cute’ a few days ago.” He said.

“But we also already had a date 3 days ago. Shouldn’t this go first before that?” I .

“Like I said, better late than never. So, let’s start with the basics.” He said as he sat up straight and readjusted his seating position so that we were now facing each other, instead of sitting side by side.

“My name is Jung Yonghwa. Nickname, Yong, Y~ong, Yonghwa. Born, June 22, 1989, at Busan, South Korea. My blood type is A. I have 2 sisters, Sooyeon and Soojung, to whom I also have a tendency to be overprotective. When I was four, my family relocated to America. That’s where I spent the next 11 years of my life until we all decided to move back here where I would eventually earn my high school diploma and college degree.

My favorite color is blue. I’m the leader of a band called CNBLUE. I’m the main vocal, rapper, songwriter, producer, and also in charge of the rhythm guitar. I like to play basketball. I don’t really like reading books or eating healthy food. I’m a very laidback and friendly guy…and…” he leaned in to whisper to me with that choding expression all over his face as he said, “this information is top secret: I have been single since birth.” And then he winked at me. I laughed for a few seconds and playfully slapped his arm. Ok, now it’s my turn.

“Name, Seo Joohyun. Nickname, Seohyun, H~yun, maknae. Born, June 28, 1991, Seoul South Korea. I also have a type A blood. I’m an only child. I’ve lived in Seoul all my life until I decided to pursue my college degree at Halesworth University, in the United States.

My favorite color is pink, or anything pastel. I’m an actress, singer, and a member of Girls’ Generation, although our group never really had an official debut. I’m also a director, scriptwriter, composer, producer, and model. I can play a lot of instruments but my favorite would be the piano.

I love reading books and eating healthy food. I used to be an antisocial…well, I guess in a way, I still am. My friends usually say that their first impression of me is that I’m a cold, mean, and careless person. The truth is, I just didn’t know how to be sociable. I’m used to being alone but I’m glad that high school changed that and I gained lifelong friends who are like family..and…” it was my turn to lean closer and whisper to him, “I’ve never had a boyfriend..because this one guy I happen to like was too much of a choding to make a move.”

We both laughed at my last statement. He spoke up once more.

“Ok. Now that we’ve covered the basics, it’s time to start from scratch..everything we want to know about each other since that first day we met. We can take turns asking questions and this time, we have to tell the truth. ALL OF IT, arasso? I’ll go first.

During the freshman orientation, I was really bored. I was scanning the crowd hoping to somehow recognize who was the girl who crashed into me earlier, the one whose freshman card pass I picked up…and then, I saw you. I thought you were innocent and cute, with the red glasses and all…but then you must’ve felt someone was staring at you so when you looked my way, I winked. Usually, girls would flirt or would just roll their eyes and ignore me. But you? You stuck your tongue out at me and glared! Why did you do that?”

“You were a stranger and I’m not exactly the friendly type, as I said. I was annoyed because I knew you’ve been staring at me for the past 10 minutes. I could see you from the corner of my eye. I turned towards you hoping that if I caught you staring at me, you’d stop.

When I saw your face clearly, I was a bit startled because you were the first boy I ever found attractive, other than those male celebrities, of course. Then, you did something I never expected: you winked at me! I was confused and flattered but I didn’t want you to think I’m an easy girl and all these feelings just messed my judgment so I did the first thing I thought of..which was, that.” I replied.

“I’m the first boy you found attractive?” of all the things I just said, that was the one he had to remember. Aish.

“You heard what I said. Now, let’s move on. My turn. Why didn’t you just hand me over my card pass? You had to tease me and call me by my real name when we’re not even close that time.”

He shrugged. “I don’t know. I guess I just wanted to know you more. I found you intriguing and cute at the same time. You were like a walking contradiction. There was something about you that keeps pulling me in and I knew that I just had to get to know you. I wanted you to be a part of my life, and vice versa. Weird, huh? I never paid much attention to girls before. It’s always about music. But then you happened. I was trying to prolong the conversation and I didn’t know how to do so..and yah! I called you Joohyun because that’s the name written on your card pass! How was I supposed to know your nickname then?”
           

“Don’t you remember? You called me “Joohyun-ah.” It was so intimate and informal!”

“I did? I don’t know. It felt natural to me.”

“Why didn’t you call me by my nickname even after we got close?”


            “The truth? Because everybody else called you that. I wanted to be special.”

“You’re already special to me.” I admitted.

“But I’m even more special because I’m the only guy who gets to call you that, sans those fanboys who think they know you too well. Hmp.”
 

“Oppa, can we not talk about my so-called “fanboys?” Don’t even get me started on those stalker female fans of yours who kept saying ‘oppar is mine!’ ‘yong oppa! saranghae!’ or ‘I’ll have your baby!’ Aish. They get on my nerves, ALL THE TIME. Trust me, I’m trying my best to maintain a professional attitude towards them but it can’t be helped.” Now I was the one who started sulking. He pinched my cheeks and called me cute. Just like that, I forgot about why I was beginning to be upset.

“Do you remember what you told me when I called you a nerd? You said and I quote,

“One day you’ll regret ever calling me a nerd! Because number 1, I’ll make you fall in love with me. Two, and then I’ll break your heart. Lastly, don’t say I didn’t warn you. JERK!”

That was the first time you got really mad at me and we ended up not speaking to each other for days!”

 

“I didn’t mean it back then oppa. I really didn’t! I was just pissed off that you ruined my concentration and I kinda have PMS that time? I’m sorry.”

 

“It’s ok. You’re right though. You did make me fall in love with you without you having to exert any effort at all and then you broke my heart. Although a part of me knows I deserve it.” he joked.

 

“Do I have to remind you what you told me when you were apologizing? You said, and I quote,

“That is..If you don’t fall in love with me first. And you’re going to fall without me having to lift a finger. So, may the best one win?”

 <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter