CHAPTER 21 THE TRUTH IN BLACK AND WHITE

Redefining Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Warning: long chapter ahead; includes flashbacks of the events that happened in chapters 9&10 but told in a different perspective.

 

2014

 

THIRD PERSON POV:

 

            It was a normal Sunday afternoon. Jung Daeho and Seo Junho took a break from playing golf.

 

            “My daughter looks so happy nowadays. You wouldn’t know if your son had anything to do with it?” Seo Junho asked his pal in a teasing tone.

 

            “I was about to ask you the same thing. I’ve never seen my boy look so happy. You think those two kids finally going to do something about the obvious?”

 

            “Hmmm…maybe? It’s been so long though.”

 

            “We just have to wait and see.”

 

Seohyun was smiling as she continued to check the messages on her phone. She's been texting Yonghwa for the past 2 hours. She didn't even notice her dad who has been sitting behind her for half an hour now.

Seo Junho was amused and happy seeing his daughter like that. "Ah, young love. Was my wife like this too when we were dating then?" He thought to himself and chuckled lightly. He thought of teasing his daughter and grabbed her left hand while pretending to inspect it. Seohyun was startled.

"APPA!"

Seo Junho laughed.

"I was just checking if everything is still normal. It seems like that iPhone of yours has become an extension of your hands. You can’t even put it down for 10 seconds! Hahaha!”

Seohyun blushed and realized that her dad must've noticed her behavior these past few months. He sat beside his only daughter.

"Aigoo, my daughter's so cute!” He took a deep breath and began the speech. “When you were a baby I worried so much over you developing crushes and eventually having a boyfriend. I was prepared to scare off your suitors and thought of countless ways on how I would do that. But you must love your appa so much for being uninterested in guys when you were growing up. Never once did you give me a headache about that.

I always knew you and Yonghwa had something special. You may fight all you want but at the end of the day, you're still an inseparable pair. Your umma and I, including his parents and your friends really thought you'd get married right after graduation! We were prepared to play the role of the "evil parents" by asking you to delay it but then that incident happened."

They grew quiet as they remembered about that high school fiasco which caused the unnecessary hurt and separation.

"It's ok, Joohyun-ah. You know when I saw you cry, I wanted to hurt Yonghwa. But then he was brave enough to face us and tell what happened. Even after you left and studied abroad, he never failed to come by every day to apologize to us. Whenever we'd try to tell him where you were and that we'd even pay for his trip, he'd decline and say,

"No, abeoji. I appreciate your offer but I apologize for refusing. As much as it hurts not being able to see or be with Joohyun, I respect her decision to leave. It's not easy but I do believe that we both need the time and space to heal on our own. Until such time she is ready to come back, I will wait."

That was when I realized I really really really really want this boy for you. He is the son-in-law every father dreams of. His only flaw is being too slow. I can't blame him though. You can be intimidating sometimes. You got that from your umma. Hahaha!"

"Appa! I am so telling umma!! UMMAAAA!!!"

"Yah! Arasso! Ssh! That's our secret!"

"I'll keep it a secret if you buy me that limited edition music notebook."

"Aish. That's another one you got from your umma!"

"Eyy, appa. She said I got it from you!"

"Ok ok I'll get it for you. Happy?"

"Neh! Appa is the best!!!"

            The mood turned solemn again.

"Joohyun-ah, I want to know, do you like Jung Yonghwa? Not as a friend but as a man."

"Appa!"

"Eyy. Don't be shy! You share this info with your umma all the time. Can't I have some father-daughter talk too? And don't try to deny it my daughter or else I'll list down every detail about you pining over the only son of Jung Daeho starting from when you were 13.”

"Appa, do I have to say it? You know the answer already. I bet everyone knows too!"

"But I want to hear it from you.”

Seohyun took a deep breath and finally admitted,

“Yes appa, I like him…ani…I love him.”

Seo Junho smiled in victory. Finally. This stubborn daughter of his admitted the real deal.

“Ok. That’s all I needed to hear.”

 

On the other side…

            Jung Daeho has been observing his son smile, laugh, be frustrated, and every other reaction while holding on to his phone. He was about to say something when his youngest daughter beat him to it.

            “Yonghwa oppa! You’re turning into a crazy namja! You’ve been smiling and laughing and pouting and doing all sorts of stuff without letting go of that phone of yours. It’s been 2 hours!!!”

            Yonghwa ignored his sister’s complaints and continued to stare at his phone, waiting for a certain someone’s reply.

            “Mwoyah? Is she ignoring me? She hasn’t texted me back! It’s been 15 minutes & 29 seconds!” he mumbled to himself, not knowing his father was standing behind the couch.

            “Aigoo, my son. At this rate you’re going to turn into that crazy namja as your sister said. 15 minutes and 29 seconds?! Give the girl a break. She’s with her parents now right? Maybe Junho-yah wants to spend quality time with his daughter too.”

            Yonghwa sighed. He understood what his father meant. After all, Seohyun is an only child. How can he be selfish by taking away her precious bonding time with her own parents? Jung Daeho smiled as he continued to observe his son. He sat down beside him and placed a hand on his shoulder.

            “Tell me son. Do you really like this girl, Seo Joohyun, so much?”

            Yonghwa looked up and said seriously,

            “I don’t like her, appa.”

            The entire household froze. Even the girls (aka his mom & 2 sisters) who pretended to be busy setting the dining table but were actually eavesdropping on their conversation, stood there, their jaws almost dropping to the ground. Yonghwa kept that passive, emotionless expression on his face for a few seconds before bowing his head, and smiling like a child as he said,

            “I love her.”

            The rest of the Jungs heaved a huge sigh of relief. Jessica and Krystal secretly did the high five with their umma. Jung Daeho smiled widely as he ruffled his son’s hair.

            “Alright. That’s all I needed to hear.”

Jung Residence

It was one of the rare occasions wherein Jung Daeho and Yoon Saeyeon had dinner with their children ever since they got into the entertainment field. It could’ve been complete if only their son was present too. Sadly, he was busy with his band’s promotional activities.

            Just then, their daughters’ phones beeped and indicated a new message. Krystal and Jessica leaped from their chairs and squealed.

            “KYAAA!”

            “OH MY GOSSSHHH!!!!”

            The two kept on the squealing, hugging, and cheering. Their parents stared at them and were bewildered with their reactions.

            “WHY?! What’s happening?!” they finally asked.

            “Jung Yong is finally going to confess to Seohyunnie!!! Kyaaa!”

            “OMG! Yong oppa finally has the guts to tell Seohyun unnie how he feels! How long have we waited for this day? kyaaa!”

            As soon as they heard this, they got up from their seats and joined in the happy dance. They resumed their meal a few minutes later.

 

CNBLUE’S Dorm

            The boys were tired from all the schedules they had to fulfill that day. They went to their rooms to freshen up and change into comfortable clothes. Jonghyun, Jungshin, and Minhyuk went out of their rooms to go get something to eat. They were walking towards the kitchen when they saw their leader’s bedroom door slightly opened. They wanted to “surprise” him. As they watched him check what they presume is another text about their schedule, they were surprised to see the sudden change of mood. They didn’t have to guess who sent that text as they watched Yonghwa pace back and forth, and rummage something in his closet.

            Clothes, notes, and so many things were piled up on the bed. They held in their laughter as they watched their hopeless romantic leader trying to pick which clothes to wear. The three of them looked at each other and nodded. Jungshin made his entrance first.

“Hyung’s got a date! Hahaha!”

Yonghwa was startled. He was caught red handed by the maknae.

 “I’m just fixing up my clothes jashik!”

He tried to maintain his cool image despite Jungshin’s teases. Before he could say anything else, another one of his dongsaengs barged in the room.

“Uh huh…but what’s with the scrapbook, hyung? Are you finally going to confess?” Minhyuk asked. He was blocking Yonghwa’s view so the latter failed to notice their maknae sifting through his phone’s messages. He was too embarrassed having to be caught in such a situation by his own dongsaengs. He has always prided himself with that “aura of mystery” “cool city guy” “image”of his. He didn’t have time to make up for another lame excuse when Jonghyun came in.

“Who’s confessing? Wah, hyung! Finally! took you long enough!”

            Yonghwa felt even more embarrassed and frustrated.

“I’m just arranging my clothes!!! GET OUT!”

The 3 of them laughed at his lame excuse and went out of the room to give him the “privacy” he demanded, but not before Jungshin slipped in that stuffed toy to prevent the door from locking.

Thinking that the coast is clear, Yonghwa resumed his activity of deciding which one to wear.

 “Oh and hyung? Wear the blue one. It brings out your “Aura of Mystery.”” (Jonghyun)

           

Jung’s Residence

            “He’s confessing tomorrow. They’re meeting at our high school’s music room, around 4pm.”

            “How would you know that, unnie? Geez. You can be so scary sometimes. Those crazy fans have nothing on you!”

            “Yah! Who are you calling scary? I knew because Jungshin chinggu texted me!”

            Krystal looked at her older sister and decided she wanted to for a bit.

            “Is there something you want to tell me unnie?”

            “I know what you’re thinking Jung Soojung, and that’s not it!”

            “Mmhhmmm…”

            “We’re just friends! It’s part of being in Team YS! Besides, I don’t like younger guys! Yah! Stop giving me that look! ”

            “I wasn’t insinuating on anything unnie. If you did think of him as a friend you wouldn’t go all mental and say, ‘but I don’t like younger guys!’ Hahahaha!”

            “Krystal!!!”

            “Hahahahaha!”

            “APPPA!! UMMA!!!”

            “Stop teasing your sister, Soojung-ah. Let her realize her feelings on her own. Haha!”

            “Umma! You’re supposed to help me not encourage her with that silly idea!”

             Jung Daeho waved his hand and said,

            “Alright that’s enough ladies. And, Jessica, where did you say your brother’s going to confess again?”

            Jessica didn’t think of anything about this as she replied,

            “At our former high school, Seoul International Performing Arts & Science High. The music room, to be exact. It’s easy to spot that room unless they’ve changed it.”

            “It’s still in the same place unnie.” Krystal joined in.

            “Ok. Why are you asking appa?”


            “Oh nothing. I was just curious.”

            Jung Daeho avoided his wife’s gaze and pretended to be busy with his meal. However, Yoon Saeyeon saw right through her husband’s act.

            “Yeobo, whatever it is you’re thinking, don’t do it. Leave the kids alone.”

            Jung Daeho feigned ignorance as he defended himself.

            “What? I’m not thinking of anything!”

            “You can fool everyone else, even our children, but not me. I know you have something up your mischievous sleeve. I’m telling you, DON’T do anything childish.”

            “Childish?!”

            “Yah, you’re the original Jung Choding. Where do you think our son got that from? Certainly not me.”

            “What?! Appa was a choding?!” (Jessica & Krystal)

            “He still IS.”

            “Yah! You girls are ganging up on me again! I’m not a choding!”

            “Whatever you say yeobo. But I’m telling you. Do not proceed with this silly plan of yours. Don’t try to deny it because I saw that look on your face when you asked Jessica about tomorrow’s event. Leave them alone, arasso?”

            Jung Daeho ignored his wife’s warning and proceeded to change the subject. He turned towards his youngest daughter.

            “Let’s just eat. So, Baby Jung, how was school today?”

 

On the other side…

Seo Residence

            Seo Junho and Kim Minhee have been standing outside their daughter’s bedroom for the past forty five minutes. Seohyun was busy pacing around the room, lining up her prettiest dresses and keep mumbling to herself about something.

            The two of them didn’t know what to make of the situation. Seo Junho looked at his daughter confusingly before telling his wife,

            “I expected this kind of behavior when she was a teenager.”

            “Aigoo. Our daughter, the late bloomer.”

            “That’s because of the stubborn genes you passed on to her.”

            “Me?! I’m not the one who used the infamous bees & flowers talk as her bedtime story even when she was just three years old.”


            “Can you blame me? We only have one child and a girl at that!”

            “Arasso arasso. It’s useless for us to argue about this. The important thing is she grew up well. We did a great job raising her, right?”

            “We sure did. High five! Should we go in…?”

            Kim Minhee smiled and nodded at her husband. Seohyun didn’t notice her parents come inside her room. She was busy mumbling “yonghwa oppa” “is this pretty” “how should I say yes” blah blah blah. When she turned around, she felt embarrassed to see her parents holding in their laughter.

            “UMMA! APPA!!! How long have you been standing there?!”

            “Long enough to figure out you’re going on a date with Jung Yonghwa.” her mother . Seohyun crawled into her bed and hid herself under the sheets.

            “Aigoo, our Joohyunie is all grown up now! I felt like it was only yesterday when you were a baby and now you’re going on a date with another man…” her father’s voice was breaking and her mother can’t help but to .

            “Yah, you’re being so emotional again. Aigoo our roles are reversed!”

            “Who’s being emotional? I’m not!”

            “Tsk2. Stop being in denial, yeobo. So, tell us about your date tomorrow, Joohyun-ah. Where is he taking you?”


            “It’s not a date umma. I’m just going to tell him something.”

            “Did he ask you to be his girlfriend?”

            “Uh…he asked if we could date.”

            “And you’re going to say yes?!!”


            “Can I?”


            Seo Junho was about to say no just to tease his daughter but his wife held up her hand and spoke faster.

            “OF COURSE!!!!”

            Kim Minhee didn’t even give her husband a chance to protest as he tugged his arm and ushered him to leave.

            “Arasso. Enjoy then. We’ll leave you to your thoughts. Let’s go yeobo!”

            Right before Seohyun could close the door, her father turned back once more and asked,

            “Where are you meeting Yonghwa by the way?”

            “We’re meeting at our high school’s music room tomorrow at 4pm, appa.”

            “Ok.”

            As soon as she closed the door, Kim Minhee eyed her husband and said,

            “Whatever it is you’re thinking, don’t do it. Leave the kids alone.”

            “Huh? I don’t know what you’re talking about!”

            “Yeobo, I’ve known you since we were 12. You think I wouldn’t notice that sly grin on your face when you found out where the two of them are headed tomorrow? You’re planning something and whatever it is, I am telling you now to back off. If there’s one more thing our daughter inherited from you, that would be your hyperactive and overly dramatic imagination!”

            “Aish. You think too much. Why don’t we just go to sleep?  *yawn* Work was really tiring today.”

            Kim Minhee looked at her husband suspiciously before deciding to call it a day.

 

At midnight…

            Two men, from different houses, carefully snuck out of bed and tiptoed their way out of their bed rooms. They checked one last time to make sure their wives haven’t woken up from their beauty sleep.

            They took their phone and spoke in hushed voices.

            “Daeho-yah, do you know about our kids’ meeting tomorrow?”

            “Yes. My daughters mentioned it when we were having dinner. So, should we go through with the plan?”

            “Yes. Meet me there at 1pm.”

            “Don’t you think that’s too early?”

            “Yah, we still have to practice that script you wrote otherwise our kids won’t buy the act!”

            “Ok ok. Now I know where Seohyun got that time conscious attitude of hers.”

 

D-DAY

            They arrived at the venue at exactly 1pm. They talked to the teachers and even met up with the founder, Lee Sooman and the principal, Han Sungho. Fortunately for them, classes would end earlier that day. The only students that would still be around by 4pm are those who have to attend the review classes for the college exams. Lee Sooman and Han Sungho led them to the music room.

            “I understand now where Yonghwa and Seohyun got their creative way of thinking. I don’t know if this plan of yours would be of help to those two stubborn kids but in any case, I wish you a goodluck!”  (Lee Sooman)

            “Aigoo. I really thought the two of them would be married by now. Anyway, I do hope your plan works in their favor. Goodluck!” (Han Sungho)

The two of them smiled as they left the room. Meanwhile, Daeho and Junho continued to practice their “lines.”

            “Yah, you should be more stern and convincing! You look so constipated!” (Jung Daeho)

            “Why am I the one who should be saying this?! Can’t you help me out?” (Seo Junho)

            “Because it’s your daughter, not mine. You’re supposed to act as the evil father-in-law. Don’t you watch those dramas? You should even offer money to complete the scenario! Besides, my son would immediately know something is up when he sees me with you. So, let’s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter