CHAPTER 5 THE PROJECT

Redefining Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

3 months later…

 

HIS POV:

 

If you’re wondering if anything happened after the whole “I missed you” thing, sorry to disappoint, but NOTHING. We were awkward the following day so I tried to again by saying she gained weight (which wasn’t true at all).

 

I expected her to be annoyed but I didn’t expect the part wherein she’d walk over to me and without a word, poured my Americano all over my favorite coat. The worst part was I had to face the GC that same day for some contract negotiations and I didn’t have a spare with me. I got mad, she got mad, I tried to apologize but I said something childish again, and she was back to ignoring me.

 

On the bright side, things were going smoothly. The others have made their debuts, and as expected, they all received accolades from fans and critics alike. We are nearing the end of our extended training, just one last project and we’re good to go. The 10 of us gathered back into our favorite practice room while discussing our career plans.

 

            “EMERGENCY!!! EMERGENCY!!! EMERGENCY!!!!”  Joon hyung came barging in the room, still in his stage costume and makeup.

 

            “What’s up?”

 

            “The GC decided to hold an impromptu international press conference now! It’s all over the news! They want to speak to everyone. That’s not all! The backup files and confidential documents about our GA evaluations and such have been compromised! Since the hacker couldn’t get into the database, he encoded some virus and if we can’t answer the random test he put in, the files would either self-destruct or be published in the internet. Arghh! Heeeelllp!!”

 

            Just the words “international press conference” was enough to send everyone into frenzy. We knew this would happen, but not so soon. Everyone, including me, was having a panic attack.

 

            “Is that all that this is about? I can help. Set up the hologram and I’ll finish that test. I’ll be the first to speak to the international press so the rest of you can have time to organize your thoughts.”  Joohyun offered, but no one seemed to digest the information properly.

 

            “It’s an international presscon Seohyun! The translators aren’t even here yet! My English ! Arggh! I should’ve studied harder! I can’t even speak anything else aside from Korean!”  (Lee Joon)

 

            “I can only speak Chinese and Korean. What if the American reporters ask me something? I am not that fluent in English just yet!” (Hyoyeon)

 

            “Our evaluation forms will be deleted? What if they got sent to the internet instead?! Nooo! I don’t even remember what I looked like in those countless auditions!” (Tiffany)

 

            Joohyun tried to say the same thing but since everyone else was too caught up in their worries, they didn’t pay attention. I heard her too but I was too busy thinking of the sudden events that I couldn’t even speak. Exasperated, I saw her lie down on the corner and closed her eyes.

 

            “What do you think you’re doing?!”

           

            “Sleeping. Wake me up when you’re all done panicking and if you still need my help. It’s a waste of energy and effort to convince people when their minds are preoccupied with worry.” She said it as calmly and nonchalantly as possible before drifting off to sleep.

 

            The same scenario plagued the room until the GC came and announced that it was time to face the press via a hologram interview.

           

            “The conference would be starting soon. In the meantime, who could help us with this system breakdown?”

 

            “I’ll do it.” everyone turned towards Joohyun who had this blank and serene look on her face after waking up from her nap.

 

            “I’ll handle the press conference and the system error simultaneously. The rest of Top10 can help me at any point. What time does the conference start? Can you please fix me up?”

 

            “The conference starts in half an hour, while the time limit on the system is less than twenty five minutes. What do you mean by fixing you up?”

 

            “THIS.” she pointed to her outfit and hair. “I have no qualms facing the international press looking this way, but would this be okay for you?”

 

            “No! Samchon! What are you thinking! Go get her dolled up immediately! We can’t have our Grand Apprentice face the world looking like some pauper! Hurry!” Kwanghee, head stylist & wardrobe coordinator (also nephew of JYP).

 

I saw Hyun's eyes widened as soon as she heard the word "pauper." I bit the inside of my cheek to keep myself from laughing but before Hyun could utter a word, she was escorted to the dressing room by 4 stylists (headed by Kwanghee).

 

            As we were being prepped for the press con, the practice room was immediately converted into a high-class auditorium. Everyone was busy and time seemed to slip away faster. The room fell silent as someone announced the entrance of the Grand Apprentice.

 

All eyes were on her. A goddess. An angel. My angel goddess.

 

            Gone were the glasses and that messy ponytail. The converse was replaced by killer heels. Instead of her usual jeans and plaid shirt, she was dressed in an elegant baby pink strapless gown. Her hair was carefully placed in a French twist (did I mention I have two sisters? I memorized every makeup and hairstyle there is to know!) adorned with an expensive looking hair accessory. The jewels sparkled brightly under the pale yellow light. I wanted to poke every male’s eyes in that room and cover her legs. How dare they stare at her like that!

 

            Everyone was still shocked with the unexpected makeover but that didn’t deter her. She continued walking towards my path, maintained eye contact as she slowly took the paper from my hand. I could feel the sweat coming down from my forehead and any minute now, I might faint. Just when I thought she was done, she took a tissue from her clutch bag and playfully wiped the corner of my mouth. She leaned closer and I could feel her breath tickle my ears.

           

            “Stop drooling, sweetheart. You’re making it too damn obvious how smitten you are with me.” she looked at me one last time, winked and smirked. I never felt my heart beat this fast.

 

 

HER POV:

 

            The moment I stepped inside the room, my eyes instantly scanned towards his direction. I didn’t care what others thought of me. I knew they were surprised, but nothing beats his reaction – wide opened eyes, jaws dropping to the floor, and his sweat trickling from his forehead. I fought the urge to laugh, so I decided to let the old me sneak in and mess around with him.

 

            I walked closer to him and intentionally bid my time as I slowly took the paper (the prepared interview questions) from his hand, all without losing direct eye contact. My heart was hammering inside my chest but I decided to play it further and .

 

I took a tissue from my bag and wiped off an imaginary drool from the corner of his mouth..his perfect kissable lips just beyond my reach. No! wait! Joohyun! Focus! What lips?!  Before my emotions could betray me, I leaned closer and whispered in his ears,

 

“Stop drooling, sweetheart. You’re making it too damn obvious how smitten you are with me.”

 

            I looked at him one last time, and before I’d decide against the silly idea that popped into my head, I winked at him and smirked. Ha. Who’s the nerd now? It might be years delayed but better late than never.

 

2007

 

HER POV:

            It was another one of those breaks in between classes. Even if we are all seniors, we had different class schedules thanks to our extracurriculars, electives, and preferred majors. Yonghwa oppa and I happened to have our breaks coincide so we spend most of the time together.

           

            We were at our favorite spot beside the pond. I was leaning towards the huge oak tree while Yong oppa lied his head on my lap. It was always like this. I told him numerous times not to do that but he wouldn’t listen to me. I’ve grown used to other students mistaking us as a couple. At first it was annoying with all the “Yongseo couple!” “Yongseo is real!” comments but you get used to it.

 

            “Joohyun-ah, you should ditch the glasses and start dressing up like your sisters! You have the nerve to call yourself a member of Girls’ Generation when you dress manlier than I?”

 

            “Have you been living under a rock, oppa? Girls these days do wear jeans and tees. It’s an acceptable norm you know. Besides, why are you bringing this up all of a sudden? You see me in my uniform five days a week”

 

            “But I see you on weekends too and your fashion statement is seriously outdated! Do you want me to raid Sooyeon and Soojung’s closets? They have hundreds of skirts, I bet they wouldn’t even notice if I took one or two.”

 

            “Raid closets? Seriously, oppa? You’re sounding a lot like Jessica unnie and Krystal! Aww! You can be my pretend gay BFF and we’d do makeovers and slumber parties!”  my voice was dripping with sarcasm

 

            “Aish Seo Joohyun! You’re really frustrating! Fine. Go and wear those jeans and boring shirts of yours. But, why won’t you ditch the glasses? Just try. I think you’d look a lot less uglier if you did.

 

            “Do the words “myopia” and “astigmatism” ring a bell, oppa? Hmmm. Probably not. You’re too busy flirting with your fangirls to even pay attention in Health Ed.”

 

            “Do the words “contact” and “lenses” aka “contact lenses” ring a bell, Joohyun? Probably not. You’re too busy paying attention in Health Ed to care about your looks.”

 

            “Argh oppa! Must you be really annoying? I don’t want to use contact lenses! It’s uncomfortable, itchy, and high maintenance! I tried it once and I don’t like the feeling of some foreign body in my eye. It distracts me from focusing on my drama classes. I feel like I can’t produce proper tears with those weird gel lenses in my eyes!”

 

            “It IS a foreign body Hyu~n. You could’ve gotten used to it if you tried. And for the record, I do not flirt with my fangirls. I don’t even pay attention to them. I’m too busy cuddling up to you.”

 

            “Eww! Stop that puppy dog eyes aegyo thing oppa. It’s not going to work on me!”

           

            “Psh. I know you secretly love it! Fine then. But can you please pick another eyeglass frame or something? You are so obsessed with that circled shaped red rimmed glasses! Are you really trying to live up to being a nerd? Hahaha! The way you look right now is the very definition of that word. NERD! NERD! NERD!”

 

            I was immune to his jokes and even if others who could hear it might think he’s gone overboard, believe me, I have said worse. I guess it’s easier for us throw insults than compliments.

 

            “NERD! NERD! NERD!”

           

            “JERK!”

           

            “NERD! NERD! NERD! NERD! NEEERRRRRDDDD!!!”

 

            Ignore. Ignore. Ignore.

 

            “NERD! NERD! NERD! Seo Joohyun looks like a nerd! Seohyun is a nerd!!!! NERDD!!!!”

 

            Ok, I have had it. This oppa has completely distracted me from memorizing my lines and him shouting nerd doesn’t help at all. I snapped at him and shouted,

 

            “FINE! One day! One day you’ll regret ever calling me a nerd! Because number 1, I’ll make you fall in love with me. Two, and then I’ll break your heart. Lastly, don’t say I didn’t warn you. JERK!”

 

            He was surprised by my sudden outburst, and so was I. Maybe it was just my PMS settling in, or the weather? What was it?! I felt shocked and embarrassed and quickly ran away back to the school building. I locked myself in one of the cubicles in the girls’ restroom all the while thinking,

           

            “What have you done Seo Joohyun? How can you say those stupid things without thinking?! Making him fall in love and breaking his heart?!!!! Unnieeess! This is the effect of watching too many chick flicks! Argh! How can I face him now?! Ottoke?!”

 

 

HIS POV:

Have I gone too far this time? It's been three days since we last spoke. We haven't argued this long since we became friends. I can't bear it any longer but I am too proud to even say I'm sorry.

"Yah, what's up with you and Seohyun?" (Jonghyun)

"Nothing."

"It doesn't look like nothing to me. Both of you are practically inseparable but now you haven't said a word to each other in days! Days! You can’t even stand being apart for more than an hour!" (Lee Joon)

"C'mon hyung. Talk to her. I can't stand the murderous looks her 8 unnies are throwing at us! Please!" (Jungshin)

"I was just kidding around and she got angry. That's it! She'll get over it soon."

"What did you say this time? I told you hyung to cut off some rude jokes. Girls can be so sensitive sometimes, even the most dense girl have their limits. Including Seohyun.” (Minhyuk)

"Since when did you get to be an expert on girls?"

"Since he obviously doesn't treat his best friend aka soul mate like crap as you do."

I turned around and wasn't surprised to see the owner of that voice. Who else but my beloved twin sister? What surprised me though was the fact that she was accompanied by the rest of her gang. 5 vs. 8 is never a good thing, especially if it's with these girls.

"Whatever it is you told her get it over with and apologize! The poor girl looks miserable!" (Taeyeon)

"It's not good for soul mates to spend days without talking to each other. You're depriving yourselves of happiness and it drains your ki." (Yoona)

Ki?! Soulmates?! They're still not over that lame joke?!

"Yah, I hate to admit this but I can’t bear to see you guys ignoring each other! I thought it was sickeningly cute when you bicker but this? This cold shoulder treatment? You’re torturing not only yourselves but also the rest of us. Please apologize and just get it over with!" (Sooyoung)

"Don't worry Yong. She'll forgive you at once. Maknae misses you so much! She kept doodling your name on her notebook during our History class." (Sunny)

"Oww! What was that for?!"

"You were not supposed to tell him that! We are here to make him suffer more! Aish." (Yuri)

"Oops. I forgot. Mian!"

"So? What did you tell her anyway? I've never seen her like this before. Whenever your name is mentioned she gets all jumpy and weird." (Hyoyeon)

"I uh...i kinda..called her..ah..uhmm..ikindacalledheranerd!"

"YOU WHAT?!" Now the entire cafeteria population had their attention on us. I wanted to run but with 8 girls and the rest of the student body blocking the exit, I had no choice but to defend myself and tell them the truth.

"I'm sorry! I was just trying to help! I thought of suggesting she change her style and try contact lenses but she wouldn't agree so I thought of annoying her to make her say yes and then she just got mad and I...."

"Ok stop! We get it! That's odd. Maknae is immune to rude comments, especially from you. Did she say something after you called her a nerd?" (Yuri)

"Is that important right now? I thought you're here to tell me to apologize!"

"Aha! So she did say something! What could it be to get the two of you acting all fidgety and weird?!" (Sunny)

"Whatever girls! It’s time to go. We have fifteen minutes till our next class starts so we better get these two back together and move on with our lives. Palli!” (Taeyeon)

As we walked towards the music room, I could feel my palms sweating. Why am I this nervous and jumpy? Did she really mean it when she said she’d make me fall in love with her? Will she really break my heart if I did? Most importantly, why am I even bothered by this?!

“Yah Yonghwa. I’m just curious though. Why do you want to change maknae’s style? It’s not like you to get so worked up over that. You knew we tried to change her mind and make her wear dresses and all but it didn’t work. You were there when we literally locked her inside the dressing room until she fit into one of those dresses. Why now?”  Tiffany asked me with a hint of teasing in her tone.

Truth be told, I don’t want to her to change anything. It doesn’t bother me if she wants to wear jeans and shirts for the rest of her life or wear that ugly red glasses. She’s always been beautiful to me.

I’m afraid that once she lets go and starts to pay more attention to her looks, other guys would notice. I don’t want them ogling at her or lavishing her with their fickle attention now that she’s grown pretty. If they can’t appreciate her for who she is now, what makes them think this superficial attraction would last? They’d just move on to the next girl.

The day before that argument, I heard other students from our rival schools (yes, schools) make fun of her. I was in the mall waiting for my sisters to finish shopping when those kids from Dream High and Kirin Arts High called her so many names. Boys and girls alike.

They said she’s lucky she’s talented and smart. That was a good enough compensation for her poor looks and ridiculous fashion statement. They’ve said a lot more derogatory comments and being the best friend that I am, I did what every high school guy would do: I punched those guys a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter