CHAPTER 38 BLUEPRINT TO FOREVER

Redefining Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

HIS POV:

 

            My knees were shaking. I could feel sweat trickle down my forehead while I was waiting for them to arrive. Every sound made me even more nervous. I could do this…right? Of course I can. Or not. I don’t know. I’m meeting them at one of these traditional Japanese restaurants. The sliding door was opened and Mr. and Mrs. Seo came in.

I got up to my feet and gave them a 90 degree bow. I nearly lost my balance as I tried to take my seat. They must’ve noticed that my hands kept trembling because I spilled the tea when I offered to pour them a cup.

            “Yonghwa-yah, are you sure you’re ok, son? Is there something wrong?”

            “Uh..n..nnnn…ooo…no. No. Nothing. Everything’s ok. I’m ok, omoni.” I knew that my voice was still trembling and came across as unsure of what I just said. However, they decided to let it pass as we ate our meal.

            I tried to offer them tea again but this time, it was a complete disaster. I ended up knocking down everything else that was on the table. I felt lightheaded from all the anxiety and tension.

            “Yonghwa, are you really sure you’re ok? You’ve been acting strange since we got here.”

            “Yeobo, I think we should take him to the hospital. He’s obviously not feeling well.” Mrs. Seo suggested to her husband.

            At the mention of the word “hospital,” I immediately got on my feet and said,

            “NOOOOO!!!!”

            They looked shocked by my sudden outburst. They must think that their daughter’s boyfriend is a crazy namja! I hastily tried to calm my nerves as I took a deep breath to sit down and bow to them in apology.

            “I apologize for my rude behavior, omoni, abeoji. I never meant to raise my voice. I’m..I’m ok. I’m fine. No need to bring me to the hospital..”

            Joohyun’s father eyed me curiously and I could feel myself shrinking. After a few seconds of “inspection,” he let out a boisterous and hearty laugh – one that earned him a slap on the shoulder and questions such as, “What exactly is so funny, Seo Junho?!” from his wife.

            “I think I know what this dinner is all about. Just say it out loud, Yong. Or would you rather I play the part of the “evil father-in-law” again and go borrow some shotgun for props?”

            My knees were shaking (it’s a good thing I’m sitting down) and my sweat kept trickling down my forehead. My hands were trembling as I wiped it off with my handkerchief.

            “No..no..no shotgun..abeoji..I..uh…err..ha..uh..”

            “Say it Yonghwa or I’m going to take that joke seriously. You do remember what happened the last time your father and I played that prank, right? I doubt you want a repeat of that mess.”

            I nodded to acknowledge the “prank” but I shook my head when I heard something about a “repeat performance.” I tried to say it again but the only thing that came out of my mouth was,

            “Ahh..ehh..I…ohh..uhmm..ha..”

            “5.”

            Joohyun’s father looked at me seriously as he held up one hand to start the countdown.

“I..ha..uh..uh huh..”

            “4.”

            I could feel my tension building up to its peak and any minute now, I might either throw up or faint.

            “I..wan.t..to..uh..ha..ee.rrr.”

            “3.”

            Say it now, Jung Yonghwa! What are you doing?!

            “Aaaa..beo..jii..ooo..moooo..ni.. I, uh, errr..uhmmm..”

            I could sense that abeoji was becoming impatient as his voice became louder when he said,

            “2.”

            “Uh..err..ha..”

What? What Jung Yonghwa? Get your head straight and just say it!

            “1. That’s it. I’m getting that shotgun or whatever pistol the guard in this restaurant have.”

            Mr. Seo stood up but I immediately ran and blocked the doorway as I knelt and shouted,

            “I WANT TO ASK FOR YOUR DAUGHTER’S HAND, ANI, I MEAN, NOT JUST HER HAND BUT ALL OF HER, AAA…AISSH…I WANT TO MARRY HER! PLEASE! ABEOJI, OMONI! I LOVE YOUR DAUGHTER SO MUCH! I CAN’T ENVISION SPENDING THE REST OF MY LIFE WITHOUT SEO JOOHYUN BESIDE ME AS MY WIFE. PLEASE! I LOVE HER! I’M ASKING FOR YOUR BLESSING! PLEASE LET ME MARRY HER! I’LL DO ANYTHING AND WHATEVER IT TAKES JUST TO PROVE TO YOU THAT I AM THE MAN YOU CAN ENTRUST YOUR DAUGHTER WITH. I WILL LOVE, CHERISH, AND RESPECT HER, NOT THAT I DO NOW BUT YEAH I MEAN I DO LOVE, CHERISH, AND RESPECT HER, BUT THIS TIME IS DIFFERENT BUT I UH..I REALLY WANT TO MARRY HER! PLEASE! JEBAL! I LOVE HER SO MUCH! PLEASE? I’M ASKING FOR YOUR PERMISSION AND BLESSING!”

            I said that in one breath, closed my eyes, and waited for their reaction. After five excruciating minutes of silence, I could hear the two of them laughing. By the time I opened my eyes, Mr. and Mrs. Seo were wiping their tears. They assisted me to stand up as Mrs. Seo hugged me.

            “Omo..this boy. You must’ve had a hard time trying to say that. We thought you were going to faint!”

            I had to hold on to her for support. I could still myself suffering the withdrawal symptoms of this anxiety. They assisted me back to my seat.

“So..uh..abeoji..omoni..do I have your blessing? Please? I promise to love and cherish your daughter for the rest of my life. She’s my first a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter