CHAPTER 28 THE DATE

Redefining Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

HER POV:

            This was Day 4 of our courtship phase. After the ‘meet cute,’ we didn’t get a chance to see each other again due to our busy schedules. Despite that, he never failed to make me smile every day. He’d text me every now and then, send me flowers to my workplace (be it the agency, a photoshoot, recording studio, or wherever I was scheduled that day), have some random people hand me cute notes, and so on. Every night we talk on the phone for hours until one of us (most of the time, me) falls asleep.

            “Seohyun-ah, don’t you think you’re ignoring us far too long now?” I looked up from my phone and saw the rest of my unnies giving me the evil eye. Ok, I feel guilty. I haven’t really paid attention to them since they got here, and that was over two hours ago.

            “Leave the girl alone. Isn’t this what we wanted?” Sica unnie said as she was busy texting.

            “Unnie, what exactly happened in Paris? You don’t look so sad or broken anymore…not that I want you to wallow in depression, but it’s just strange. You left looking you’re on a suicidal mission, and now you’re back and I don’t know…there’s this different aura surrounding you.” Krystal asked her. She’s right. There’s something different about Sica unnie and we can’t figure it out.

            “She’s got the same pink atmosphere as most of the other girls in this room who are currently in love. Omo. Could it be…? Yah, who’s the namja this time?!” Sooyoung unnie commented. Paris..i think Yonghwa oppa mentioned something about that…aha!

            “Unnie, did you by chance, meet up with Jungshin chingu while you were in Paris? Yong oppa mentioned something about him going on a trip there during the same time you said you were going to take a break.”

            The others were busy bothering Sica unnie when Yong oppa sent me another text.

            *can u send me a selca of yours? Please? I miss you.*

            I checked the mirror to see if everything was ok. I took the opportunity to snap a picture while the rest of the girls were preoccupied with Sica unnie and Jungshin chingu’s budding ‘romance.’ I hit SEND and waited for his reply.


             A minute later, he texted back,

            *Send me another selca..and this time, take it off.*

            WHAT?! Take what off?! This oppa is letting his ert thoughts take over again! I hastily replied to his message.

            *Take what off?!*

            *The makeup. You look good with it, but you’re even more perfect without it.*

            KYAAAAAA!! Ok, I regret being angry. My heart is doing somersaults again and this time, I was jumping crazily around the room, not bothering about the baffled looks everyone is giving me.

            “Unnies, Krystal, I don’t think I can take it anymore. I have to tell him I love him. I don’t think I can stand another day without making him mine and vice versa. Kyaaaaa! OMG I’m so happy! Kyaaaa! I’m going to tell him now! Where’s my phone? Do I look ok? Is he busy? How should I tell him? asdjskjdaskdjkalas.”

            “ANDWAE!!!!!” they yelled all at once. Now I’m confused.

            “Seo Joohyun, you can’t.” they said firmly as they led me to sit on the couch.

            “BUT WHY?!” I pouted and asked, like how a toddler tries to reason out why her parents won’t let her eat too much ice cream.

            “Because your 11 day courtship isn’t over yet!”

            “So what? I thought you wanted us to be together already and now that I’m saying I want the same thing too you’re telling me to back out? Why? I’m asking for the truth this time, unnies.”

            I saw them exchange these looks while whispering,

                “You tell her.” (Yuri)

            “Me? Why not her (points to another person)?” (Yoona)

            “Yah, I’m not the one who started that stupid bet anyway.” (Hyoyeon)

            “Does it matter? You agreed.” (Sooyoung)

            “We all agreed.” (Taeyeon)

            “Aish. It’s all the boys’ fault.” (Sunny)

 

            Bet? The boys’ fault? What?

            “What bet are you talking about?”

            “We kinda had a debate with the guys and it led up to that stupid bet. They said you’ll confess even before the 11 days are up. We argued with them, and well, that’s it.” Yuri unnie explained
 

            “What does the winner get?” if the ‘prize’ of this was worth it, then maybe I should concede for a while.

            “Bragging rights.” Jessica and Hyoyeon unnie replied coolly.

            “WHAT?! THAT’S IT?! UNNIES! How can you stop me from confessing just for some bragging rights?!”

            “We know, that’s why we’re sorry…we thought you might want Yong to work for it just a little bit longer.” (Sooyoung)

            “But he’s been doing all the work since forever! I’m the one who needs to exert more effort here, not him!”

            “We’re sorry, Seohyun-ah. We won’t stop you. You can go ahead and confess to him now if you want to…” Taeyeon unnie said. I was going to go ahead and do that but the others started talking.

            “Aigoo…you waited all these years, and then you’re going to tell him just like that? What will become of those preparations?” (Sunny)

            “If you were going to just blurt out a random and unprepared ‘i love you’ confession you shouldn’t have bothered us from our busy schedules to prepare for that 11th day event..”  (Jessica)

            “All those preparations are going to go to waste! All because one person right here couldn’t wait for a proper timing…” (Yoona)

            “OK ok I get it! I’m sorry. I won’t tell him right now. I also don’t want to let your efforts go to waste.” I sighed defeatedly. I told them about the 11 day thing, how it came to be, and what I planned to do on the last day. We’re already in the final stages of planning for that event.

            They all gathered round for a group hug.

            “It’s ok, Hyunnie. You can go tell him right now. We won’t stop you. It was silly of us to even try doing so.” (Yuri)

            “No. You’re right, unnie. He deserves more than just a random confession. We have to push through with the plan. I haven’t done as much as he does for me. I can’t just let all the planning and efforts go to waste just because of my impatience.”

            “Are you sure?” (Taeyeon)

            “Yes.”

            “Ok.” (All)

            “Yah, Hwang Miyoung, why are you crying?” (Sooyoung)

            “It’s just that…waaahhh!! I’m so happy. I never thought this day would come..i mean, I always knew it’ll happen but I just didn’t know when…how many times did we hope for this? Aigoo…uri maknae has finally embraced the truth that she’s so in love with Jung Yonghwa!”

            I blushed when I heard Fany unnie’s last sentence, which of course, led to another round of teasing.

            “Aigoo. Why are you still so shy about it? You’re so cute.” (Sunny)

            “Now what was in that text that made you go all crazy in the first place?” (Yuri)

            I remembered about that again and the fluffy feelings came rushing back. I felt my face heat up and I couldn’t think straight so I just handed my iPhone to them as they gushed over the message. My room was filled with all the girly screams and such while they repeatedly read Yong oppa’s text. When everyone else has calmed down from it all, they stood up and were about to leave.

            “I think you should go to bed now. We ate dinner already so why don’t you freshen up and take a goodnight’s rest?” (Taeyeon)

            “But unnie, I don’t have a schedule tomorrow and it’s only 8pm.”

            “That’s already late. Just because your sweetheart says you look perfect without makeup doesn’t mean you’re allowed to stay up late all night. Now be a good girl and sleep. We’re going back to our own units. Goodnight!” (Tiffany)
           

            They hurriedly left and I decided there’s no harm in taking them up on their advice. Early to bed it is for me…

            “RISE AND SHINE BABY GIRL!!!!!” (Tiffany)

            “WAKE UP!!! WAKE UP!!!” (Sunny & Yoona)

            I was startled to hear gong (?) sounds wake me up from my slumber. I groaned and dismissed the voices I heard as part of my dream.

            “SEO JOOHYUN!! YOU BETTER GET YOUR PERFECT NO MAKEUP FACE TO THE SHOWER RIGHT THIS INSTANT SWEETHEART!!!” (Jessica)

            “UNNIEE!!! WAKE UP!!! WE CAN’T BE LATE TODAAAYYY!!!” (Krystal)
           

            I scrambled to get a hold of my phone to check the time. 3:01am. 3:01am?!!!! WHAT?!!!!

            “Go away. I want to sleep.”

            “You leave us no choice but to do this. We are apologizing in advance, Seohyun-ah, but this is for your own good.” (Hyoyeon, Sooyoung)

            Huh? I guess I should’ve taken them up on their offer because the next minute, I felt ice cold water sprayed (at least they were considerate enough not to splash a basin full of water) to my face.

            “OK OK I’M UP!!! ARGH!!!”

            “Don’t be so grumpy, sweetheart. Now go shower and get dressed.” (Yuri, Taeyeon)

            All throughout the ride, I didn’t hide the fact that I was annoyed. No wonder they kept telling me to go sleep early. From the corner of my eye, I could see that everyone was finding my expression cute. Hmp.

            “Aww…please don’t get mad at us, maknae. We were just following orders.” (Yoona)

            “You could’ve warned me at least.”

            “That would spoil the surprise. We’re really sorry we woke you up so early. If it makes you feel any better, that namja’s wakeup call wasn’t anything short of brutal.” (Sunny, Yuri)

            “If only you knew what we went through….” (Krystal, Jessica)

            “We have to apologize once again for what we’re about to do…” (Taeyeon, Tiffany)

            “Huh?”

            As soon as the van was parked, I felt so many hands take hold of my arms while others took it as their responsibility to blindfold me. I was starting to be really annoyed but I decided to let this pass. I followed my unnies’ instructions and felt myself seated someplace unstable.

            “Hy~un….”

            “Oppa? Yonghwa oppa?”

            “Yes, sweetheart, it’s me.”

            “What’s happening?! Why does it feel cold all of a sudden? Why does this seat feel so wobbly?!”

            “Uh…eh…Hy~un…would you rather I take off your blindfold or you’d do it yourself?”
 

            Why does he sound nervous? From the direction of his voice I assumed that he was sitting across from where I sat.

            “I’ll do it.”

            As I was reaching for the knot behind, I heard him say,

            “WAIT! Uh..I…before you take it off, promise me you won’t freak out or panic.”

            Now I was the one feeling nervous…

            “Why?”

            “Just…promise me first, please?”

            “Ok. I promise.” I said as the handkerchief that covered my eyes went undone. I squinted my eyes and tried to readjust to the surroundings when it hit me.

            “AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!”

            I screamed as if my life depended on it. Or maybe it really is depending on that.

            “Hyu~n!!! Don’t…don’t panic, please? Let me go there.”

            He stood up but the moment he did, I felt the entire thing shook. My knuckles went white from holding on to whatever bars or anything else as I glared at him.

            “NO!!!! DON’T YOU DARE MOVE A MUSCLE OPPA!!!! WHY ISN’T THIS MOVING?!!! WHY ARE WE STUCK UP HERE?! HELLO? ANYONE THERE?! HELPPPPP!!!!”

He stood up again and tried to go near me.

“I SAID STAY WHERE YOU ARE!!!” I ordered him.

            “BUT YOU’RE PANICKING AND I WANT TO BE CLOSER TO YOU!!!” He argued back.

            “NO!!! SIT DOWN OPPA! STOP MOVING AROUND SO MUCH! You can’t come to this side. It will make things unbalanced and aaaaaahhhhhhhH!!!!!”

            “SEO JOOHYUN!”

            “AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!”

            “JOOHYUN-AH!!! Calm down!”

            “How can you ask me to calm down oppa?! Is this your idea of romance?! Because to be frank, there’s nothing romantic with this setup at all!!! NOTHING!! AAAAHHHH!!”


            “You haven’t even seen anything yet!”

            “What else is there to see?! I’m trapped in this rusted and unstable cramped up space probably 150 feet off the ground!!!”

            “Stop panicking for a while and just appreciate the view please?”
           

            “I’m about to hyperventilate here and you’re asking me to appreciate the view?!! Oppa! I’m scared of heights! You know that and yet you brought me here!!”

            “You don’t seem scared at all whenever we ride a plane.” He muttered. What? How can he compare riding on a plane to THIS?! THIS!!!

            “That’s a plane, it is highly secured and stable, while THIS (I pointed to the thing that we’re riding on) is a freaking ferris wheel! A ferris wheel!!! You had my unnies wake me up at 3am just to drag me here?! I hate ferris wheels! AAAAAHHHH!!!”

            I was busy screaming my lungs out that I didn’t notice he stood up again and was now sitting in the middle part of the carriage. He tapped the space beside him but I wouldn’t budge. He sighed as he extended his right arm and pulled me towards him (not without me screaming and pulling his hair). I was mad but he kept laughing as he took off his coat and wrapped it around me. I raised my eyebrow as I saw him take another coat and a blanket.

            “I know that girls find it sweet whenever the guy offers her his coat or jacket, but I also know that I don’t want to freeze out here. It’s not winter but the cold morning breeze is still unforgivable, that’s why I brought myself an extra coat and this.”

            “You could’ve just handed me the spare coat.” I grumbled. I was still pissed that he ‘tricked’ me into riding a ferris wheel.

            “That would defeat the purpose of my so-called ‘chivalry.’ And, I know you love my scent. I sprayed an extra for that one.”

            “Choding. Then what’s the blanket for?”

            “For this.” he said as he wrapped it around the two of us and drew me closer in an embrace. Hear goes another round of tachycardia. Heeeelppp! I can’t deny I’m loving this moment so I scooted closer and nestled my head on his chest. I feel so safe and protected in his arms. What ferris wheel? Height phobia? Psh.

            “2 minutes.” He said as he checked his watch.

            “What?”

            “1 minute, 20 seconds.” He continued the countdown.

            “Huh?”


            “Look ahead Hy~un. I don’t want you to miss this moment. This is the reason I had your unnies wake you up so early.”
            “What are you talking about?”

            “Show time. Look. Look ahead.”

            I did as he instructed and turned my gaze towards that direction. The scene that unfolded before me was breathtaking and majestic. It’s the most beautiful sunrise I’ve ever seen. The prism of colors, the view, everything…everything about it looks so magical and amazing. I felt tears stream down my face.

            “Wow...it’s just…it’s…whoa…it’s really…wow…It’s just….It’s so beautiful.”


            “I know.” I turned towards his direction only to find him already looking at me.

            “The sunrise?” I asked him curiously.


            “I’ve seen this before, so that was meant for you.”

            He called me beautiful! I know he’s said it a thousand times but I still can’t get used to the feeling. I was beginning to get carried away by the mushy thoughts when I remembered something.

            “Wait…what do you mean you’ve seen this before?!”

            Did he bring another girl here? A fan? Did he shoot a drama or music video and then there’s a girl…and….aaahhh!! Why am I suddenly so jealous?! Aish. He laughed and hugged me tighter.

            “Are you jealous?” bingo!

            “No.” Denial happens to be my number 1 defense mechanism.

            “Then why are you pouting? See! Your eyebrows are about to meet. Hahahaha! Look at me in the eyes Joohyun-ah and tell me you’re not jealous.”

            “I’m not jealous.” Yeah, nice try, Seo Joohyun.

            He must’ve found it amusing as I felt him pinch my cheeks and kiss the top of my head. I’m melting once more. Yonghwa oppa stop this before I smother you with hugs a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter