CHAPTER 11 FIRST MEETING 3.0

Redefining Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

WARNING!!!

EXTREMELY LOOONNGGG CHAPTER! The longest I have ever written so far. Please bear with it & I do hope you leave an extremely long comment in response. Haha! Oh and a heads up: prepare for the unleashed romantic side. Haha! Enjoy!

 

PART II. WINTERFALLS

Prologue

They say that true love is once in a lifetime...that there will always be that one special girl that will capture not only your heart but your entire being. She's someone worth waiting for and someone who deserves nothing less of what you can give her. Everyone else tells me the same thing: that when I do find her, I should never let her go.

          I did find her but because of my pride and stupidity, I lost her. Not just once, but twice.When I broke her heart, I was too dense to realize that I shattered mine as well. By the time I finally did, she was gone.

          That's not even the worst part. She was my best friend. My partner in crime. My eternal pair in every project. My other half. I took her for granted because a part of me thinks that she'll always be there. We ran around in circles for so long and when she was finally ready to open up her heart to me, I made the biggest mistake when I stood her up.

          2 times..sigh..the number 2 will forever haunt me, but I choose not to give up. I'll fight back. I'll win her heart again (not that it was even mine in the first place..or was it?). For the third and last time, I'll prove to her I'm worth it. Better late than never right? I'm being thick skinned and all but it's time I set aside my ego and make everything right.

          This is not your ordinary love story..or maybe at the same time, it is...this is a story of redemption, forgiveness, and learning how to overcome your fears all in the name of love. It's winter...cold as it seems, but I'm determined to make her fall..fall in love with me...

 

HIS POV:

          “Ok, one more shot! That’s great! Smile! I’m talking to you, Yonghwa-sshi. Stop looking so depressed. Now, come on, smile for the cameras! There! Great! Thanks guys, you were awesome. You have to work on that smile of yours, Jung Yonghwa. Other than that, you’re good. Good luck on your concert tomorrow!”

          We thanked everyone for their hard work and proceeded to pack up our things. Finally. The rest of our schedules are cleared. The only thing left is the concert tomorrow, but that isn’t until 7pm. For now, it’s freedom.

          “What do you plan to do hyung? We’re going shopping! Wanna come with us?” (Jungshin)

          “Nah. I think I’ll just go back to the hotel. Can’t you just buy some souvenirs for me?” I wasn’t in the mood for anything. I was exhausted with the photo shoot (for a magazine) for the past two days. I just wanted to lie around and sleep.

          “Don’t be such a couch potato hyung. We’re in Verona! Italy! The city of love! Who knows if you might meet your Juliet along the streets? Hahaha!” (Minhyuk)

          “Yah, maknaes, drag Yonghwa hyung if you have to. I have to get going now. My cousins are waiting at the airport. I’ll probably sleep in my aunt’s house. We have this family thing going on. I’ll be back at the hotel tomorrow. Bye!” (Jonghyun).

          Jungshin and Minhyuk tried to convince me with aegyo which was horrifying. They knew I hated it when they do that.

          “FINE! But I’m going on my own. I’m not going to be the one who carries your shopping bags. I’ll just tour the city by myself. Go ahead and have some fun!”

          They agreed, and I planned on going back to the hotel when I realized I didn’t have my key with me, instead, that punk Lee Jungshin slipped in a note.

          *Just to make sure you won’t waste your time by locking yourself up in the hotel. Enjoy Verona, hyung! Go find your Juliet! HAHA! XOXO, Jungshinnie*

          XOXO?! Aish. When did he have the time to take my key? I thought hard. Right. When Minhyuk was acting as the “distraction.” The maknae combo is really dangerous. >.<

          As I roamed around the city, I realized it wasn’t such a bad idea after all. It’s been a while since I enjoyed such freedom. Thankfully, no one has recognized me, and even if they probably did, they knew better than to invade my privacy. Palazzo Giusti was the last on my itinerary for the day. It’s not that I wanted to visit the place. It was the result of my indecision (coin toss. :p) and after seeing the postcards, I was even more determined to go.

 I was admiring the architecture and other stuff when I noticed a group of teenage girls pointing towards my direction. They were whispering in Italian (I understood the language but I didn’t pay attention to what they were saying), but the words “CNBLUE” “YONGHWA OPPA” were enough to alarm me. I casually increased the pace of my walk, giving them the benefit of the doubt that they’d leave me alone, but to my dismay, they only did the opposite. I walked a little bit faster, I was almost running, and that was when the screaming started. Crap! Why oh why do I have to meet highly energetic fangirls right now? why!!!!

          I ran towards the exit, not really knowing where to go. I saw the maze garden and figured that was a good way to distract these girls.

(just imagine there are more mazes..=p)

 

I ran faster, from one maze to the next. I didn’t even know how this would end, all I know that is when they catch up to me, I am so doomed. Shindong hyung would never let me go on my own if that happens. I ran and ran. I felt dizzy with all the turns but I kept going. The voices were fading now, good. I continued running but I made the mistake to look back just to check if I truly lost them. By the time I faced ahead again, I collided with the person who came from the opposite direction.

          I heard her groan in pain and apologize profusely. That voice. It couldn’t be..? but, how? I thought she was in Thailand for a fan meeting?! 

“Ouch! Argh! Ugh. I am so sorry. Sorry. Are you ok? Here let me help you.” I saw her extend her hand, which I took gratefully. The moment I did, I felt that familiar twinge in my heart. But how?! She was busy checking the surroundings and I haven’t seen her face clearly, although a part of me knows I didn’t have to. I fixed myself up just to look presentable and that was when she turned around. Once again, we were standing face to face. I don’t know if it was the sunset or the fact that the snow was falling, but when I looked at her, she had this glow. Is it possible to fall in love even more with the same person? Because I think my heart just went overdrive. Can she hear it? We just stood there, staring at each other until we heard our names being called out.

“YONGHWA OPPAAA!!! EODISEO?! OPPA SARANGHAE!!!”

          “SEOHYUN-SSHI! SEOHYUN-SSHI where are you? please answer! Heechul hyugnim keeps calling me! Please!”

That was my cue and wake up call. I knew she was on the verge of panic so I chose that moment and offered her my hand. I tried to sound, look, and be as charismatic as possible when I told her,

          “Run away with me.”

          My heart was beating faster now and for a split second I thought she’d reject me. Instead, I saw her nod as she took my hand and together, we ran. I could practically hear my sisters cheering for me as this very scenario I’m in played out. Here I am, in Verona Italy, holding hands with the love of my life (I think my romantic side has made its comeback), as we ran away from the rest of the world.

          My band mates were right. I did find my Juliet after all.

 

HER POV:

          After what seems like an hour of chasing, we finally managed to escape from the “mob.” I texted Heenim, informed him of my whereabouts, and that he shouldn’t worry too much about me (which was futile). He tried to call me and I picked up once just to tell him I’ll be back in time for my flight. After that, I shut my phone off. I looked towards Yonghwa oppa who seemed to have a similar conversation with his manager, Shindong oppa.

          We were strolling along the streets of Piazza delle Erbe when I realized we were still holding hands.

I tried to wriggle free from his grasp but that only made him hold on tighter. I frowned at him and he chuckled lightly. He took my chin and I couldn’t escape the intensity of his stare.

          “Just for tonight, don’t let me go. I’m afraid I might lose you in the crowd.” He flashed me that smile and I felt my heart skip a beat. I didn’t know how to respond to that so he took another opportunity to lead the conversation.

          “Besides, look around you. Everybody has someone to “couple” up with. You wouldn’t want them to think that we’re having a fight in such a beautiful city, right?”

          Now that kind of comment, I know how to respond.

          “I don’t care what they think.” Ok, so what happened to “I know how to respond to that kind of comment?!”

          He turned to me once again as he said, “I do.”

          “Huh?”

          “I do care about what they think. I don’t want them thinking I’m ignoring you or something. I don’t want them to have this crazy idea that they have the chance to flirt with you just because we’re having a “fight.””

          “So what am I, some trophy fake girlfriend you can show around?” I asked annoyed.

          “Nope. A trophy is just an object meant to be displayed. But you? You’re a woman meant to be showered with affection and admiration. You deserve all of my attention, and I want the rest of the world to know that.”

          HEEELLPPPP!!! Since when did Jung Yonghwa become so poetic?! Last I heard he was busy crooning breakup songs. What’s up with all the flowery praises? Snap out of it Seo Joohyun! Don’t fall for his charms!  I kept my mouth shut, not knowing what else to say. We continued walking until we found a tiny café. The place was beautiful and homey. The owner was a woman who I presumed to be in her mid-fifties. She asked us in Italian,

          “Are you a couple?”

          I was about to say no but Yonghwa oppa already said yes. They continued the conversation in Italian and sooner, we were led to a seat with a wonderful view of the city.

          “Since when did you speak Italian?”

          “Since the day I found my Juliet.” Ok, now that was just yuck. All those fluttery feelings flew out the window. His cheesiness has been leveling up since we met. I snorted and rolled my eyes only to find the amused café owner looking at us and saying we remind her of the days when her husband was still courting her.

          I felt embarrassed having been caught like that. I could see Yonghwa oppa trying to hide his smile. I acted as if nothing happened as I ordered from the menu. As we waited for the food to be served, Yonghwa oppa started to laugh. He would look at me, shake his head, and laugh. I pretended as if I didn’t care. What was so funny anyway? I simply took a quick glance just to see if there’s something on my face or anything wrong with what I wore. Nothing. He did the same thing for 4 times before I finally exploded.

          “What the hell is so funny?!” I could feel my nostrils flaring, which made him more amused. As he recovered from his laughter, he wiped his tears and finally looked at me.

          “I was just thinking…why is it that every time we meet, you keep crashing into me? Freshman year, post-GrandAud, and now this. Don’t you find that funny?”

          I haven’t thought of that. “NO.”  I gave him a one-word answer.

          “Ok, I’m sorry. I wasn’t laughing at you, but of the situation. I realized that no matter how hard we try to avoid each other, even if we choose to go the opposite direction, in the end, we’d still collide. It took me years to admit but Sooyeon was right. I always fall hard for you, both figuratively and literally.”

          DUGEUN.DUGEUN.!! He’s done it again, and this time, I could feel my blush creeping in. Was that an indirect confession? How am I supposed to respond to that? If he were any other guy, I’d have some witty comment and a rejection ready on hand, but that’s not the case. My wonderful brain seems to go on vacation whenever this guy named Jung Yonghwa ambushes me with his sweet words.

          The food arrived and we ate in silence. I checked my watch. 9:00pm.

          “It’s getting late, I think we should go.” I said as I was preparing to stand up.

          “NO!” he said louder than normal, and for a second all eyes were on us. We smiled and apologized to the crowd as we took a seat once more.

          “I mean, don’t leave yet. Please. If you’re worried about going home, I can have that arranged. My driver’s just a phone call away. Which hotel are you staying at?”

          “Hotel Due Torri.”

          “Really?! That’s where we are staying too!”

          “Since when?”  I was surprised. I thought CNBLUE’s on a world tour or something?

          “3 days ago. We arrived for a photo shoot and our concert tomorrow. You?”

          “Just yesterday. Same thing. Photoshoot.”

          “How long are you staying? We’re leaving right after our concert. We’re on the 2:30am flight.”

          Ok this is weird. I am on the same flight as his, but I wouldn’t tell him that.

          “Haha! I knew it! We’re on the same flight!”

          “Same time, different airlines.” Lame defense, Seohyun.

          “Yeah right. We belong in the same agency, remember? As far as I know, there’s only one airline that our company entrusts, their very own, Kingdom Air.”

          That shut me up. I was caught in my own web of lies. Err. I started feeling uncomfortable. He didn’t even hide the fact that he was staring.

          “Don’t you know that it’s rude to stare?”

          “Why would you think I’m staring at you? I’m looking at the paintings behind you.”

          I turned around thinking he was making up some lie but true enough there was a mini-gallery. “Huh.” That was all I managed to say. Why am I out of words?!

          “What would you say, if, hypothetically, I’d tell you, you look pretty?”

          Finally. My mind decided to function again as I responded,

          “Well…if, hypothetically, you’d comment that I look pretty, then, my hypothetical response would be… “actually, I prefer the word BEAUTIFUL.”” Annnddddd I got a perfect 10 for being thick skinned! Haha!

          “You’re really beautiful, Joohyun-ah. Not just today, but every day since I met you.. PS. that wasn’t a hypothetical statement.” He smiled and winked at me. I think I just melted in a puddle of goo.

          KYAAAAAH! SOMEBODY SAVE ME! PLEASE! I CAN’T TAKE IT! THIS! THIS ROMANTIC JUNG YONGHWA IS TOO MUCH FOR MY HEART TO BEAR! Be still, my heart. As soon as I regained composure, I said,

          “Hmmm…you’re romantic side is coming out. Is that the effect of being in Verona?”

          “Nope. It’s not the city. It’s the effect of being with you.”

          BE STILL! I SAID, CALM DOWN HEART! PLEASE! WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME?! Act. Yes. Pretend you’re doing a romantic movie. Act like the cold city girl. *peeks* I can feel myself smiling. NO. control. Be calm. Waaahhh!!

          “You know, every girl wants to be my girlfriend.” That killed the mood. I raised my eyebrow.

          “Really? And what makes you think they’re so obsessed with you?”

          “Have you listened to our songs?”

          “NO.” YES. Of course I have. I practically got the lyrics engraved in my memory, and even if I didn’t want to listen to their music, my unnies and everyone else didn’t miss a chance to play their songs, be it at home, practice room, or the car. In short, anywhere within my hearing distance.

          “Ouch. I hope you kept the albums my dongsaengs gave you at least?”

          “It’s somewhere in the attic at my penthouse. The least I could do for the rest of the members is to keep it somewhere.” More like it’s scratched from being overplayed. Not that I’d tell him that.

          “But you don’t have an attic at your penthouse, I should know because we live in the same building.” He wiggled his brows and teased me. CRAP. This is strike two. Argh!

          “What fed your delusion that every girl wants to be your girlfriend?”  I tried to steer clear of the attic convo.

          “Haha! It’s not a delusion, Joohyun-ah. I get love letters and emails every hour. No kidding! If you listened to our songs, especially the ones I wrote, then you’d know, but since you don’t intend on doing so I’ll just tell you. Those girls all want to be that girl who’d heal my so-called “broken heart.” CNBLUE has been serenading the crowd with bittersweet love songs. According to them I look sad most of the time in our MVs, even in public broadcasts. They all want to be the girl who’d finally make the leader of CNBLUE smile.”

          Makes sense. Since their debut, their title tracks/released singles all speak of a lost love, pain, and heartache - I’m A Loner, I’m Sorry, Intuition, Still In Love, Just Please, Y Why, Don’t Say Goodbye, Lie, Coward, No More, More Than You, and the list goes on. I understood why those girls would fall at his feet and offer to heal his “broken heart.” If the music wasn’t enough to get to you, then the lyrics will.

          “Hey. This is the part where you brag that every guy wants to be your boyfriend. You know, to start off this competition? Haha!”

          I rolled my eyes and responded.

          “Quite the opposite, actually. I think the whole dating ban scared them off. Nobody wants to be “wiped off” from the industry just because of one girl. They know too well how our agency is powerful and influential. Even if some express their interest publicly, it’s nothing more than a shameless attempt at media play.”

          Did I sound too bitter? His face suddenly turned serious.

          “Nah. Must be because your image as a character actress is so strong. You never had a flopped project – both local and international. You’re an accomplished actress, writer, director, producer, and songwriter. I think your achievements are the ones scaring them off.”

          Is that why you didn’t contact me even if the 2 year thing ended?

          “But not me. I’m not intimidated by your achievements. I’m very proud of how far you’ve come, Hyu~n. Although sometimes it feels like you widen our gap with each award, it only makes me want to strive harder. To prove that I’m at least worth it of being your friend.”

          “You don’t have to prove anything.”

          “I do, Hy~un. I’m working on it. How am I so far?”

          “You’re doing a terrible job at it.”

          We laughed. Finally, the tension is released. I’m feeling a lot more comfortable around him now.

          “I heard you just graduated. Congrats!” I knew he graduated a month ago. I purposely scheduled some random activity on that day.

          “Yeah. Thanks for the flowers. You’re mean. You should’ve at least attended.”

          “Well, you didn’t attend my graduation too. I think it’s only fair I didn’t make it to yours.”

          “Haha! Touché.”

          “So what’s the cause of delay? I’m curious. I never got the chance to ask you what degree you got anyway.”

          “Ouch. Now you’ve hurt my feelings! haha! kidding. When you left, I was uh, I felt lost. I didn’t know what to do and I was just so caught up in my own angst. I spent a few months doing nothing, getting jobs here and there, until I realized I wanted to do something meaningful. I didn’t want to waste my time moping and I knew you would’ve said the same thing that’s why later that year I enlisted in the army.”

          Now I’m surprised. “What?! I thought you planned on delaying your enlistment as long as you could! What happened to the whole “I want to enjoy my youth first”?”

          “I know right? I couldn’t believe myself too. I grew up, I guess. I got drafted to serve as an active duty soldier but I asked to be transferred to the marines. I was released late 2010, got into Seoul International University, studied for 2 years, before the GA thing. Oh and by the way, I have a degree in Chemical Engineering, double major in physics and chemistry. Haha!”

          The marines. I heard it was twice as hard than serving in the army. Wow. Now I am even more impressed. How come I never knew this? and chemical engineering? I remembered how I had to force him to memorize the table of elements. Wow.

          “I don’t know what to say. Wow. You’re a man after all, Jung Yonghwa! I really thought you’d dodge enlisting or at least end up in public service.”

          “Yah! Don’t you know it’s a crime to draft dodge?! I may be lazy but I wouldn’t do that. I’m impressed at myself too. I never knew I could survive the tough environment.”

          “So which group was it?” I began to .

          “What group?”

          “The girl group you fawned over during the time of your enlistment.”  I paused for effect and began naming some random groups. “KARA? Wonder Girls? 4Minute? After School? 2NE1? Or was it T-ARA?!”

          “Fawned over?! Mwoh?! Yah. I was too busy being such an emo to pay attention to girl groups!”

          “Eyyy. Don’t try to deny it Yo~ng! fine! Which celebrity did you drool over?”

          “No one!”

          “Liar!”

          “Fine! It was you, ok! It was your picture that’s on my locker and bunk bed. The one in the yearbook.”

          Ok now that got me. Wait, my picture?! MY picture??!! Worse, the one in the yearbook?!!

          “Of all the pictures out there you had to pick that one! And yah! Did you have some sick erted psycho thoughts about me?!!!”

          “WHAT?! I’m not some ert!”

          “So are you saying you never thought about it, huh?!”

          “Thought about what?!”

          “You and me…doing the deed.” WHAT?!!! DID I JUST SAY THAT?! and worst of all, why is he not denying it?! Aacccckkkk!!! This is awkward. Why do I have to bring that up? Act angry! Yes, be cool about this.

          “So you have thought about it! ERT!!! MANIAC!!!”

          “YAH! Lower your voice, will you?! So what if it crossed my mind? I’m a guy, it happens.”

          “But couldn’t you have thought of using someone else as your object of fantasy?!” OBJECT OF FANTASY?!!! SEO JOOHYUN SHUT UP BEFORE YOU COMPLETELY HUMILIATE YOURSELF!

          “What?! Argh! That’s not it! Stop twisting this with such thoughts! I brought your picture along because whenever I look at it, it makes me remember all the awful things I said and did to you. Those painful lies I made you believe resurfaces in my memory. I feel that despite the harshness of the marine training and all that, it’s not enough to compensate the pain I caused you. Whenever I feel like giving up, I’d remember everything and I feel even more determined to become a better man, one you could be proud of regardless of our history.”

          Once again, I was rendered speechless. I felt that twinge in my heart but I did my best to ignore it. Instead, I took out my wallet and prepared to pay the bills.

          “What do you think you’re doing?”

          “Paying for the food, duh. Have you forgotten that nothing in this world is free?”

          “I’ll pay for it.”

          “Please, this isn’t the time to show off your “manly pride.” Did I offend you? move on. it’s the 21st century. Women are entitled to their own decisions.”

          “I’m not offended, but I insist to pay for it.”

          “No. I’ll pay for it. I don’t want you mistaking this as a date, which is a side effect that goes along with having the man foot the bill.”

          “I never said this was a date. Were you thinking that it was all along?” Great. Now the mocking tone in his voice is back.

          “No. I just don’t want you to get the wrong idea.”

          “I insist, let me pay for this.”

          “No.”

          “Yes.”

          “No.”

          “Yes.”

          “No.”

          “Fine. Still as stubborn Seo Joohyun. Let’s split the bill, shall we? Or how about we just pay for our own? Except for the coffee and tea we just had. Let me at least pay for that.”

          “Ok.”

          We thanked the kind owner and left the café.

          “I heard there’s a fireworks display. Let’s go check it out.”

          We reached the fountain wherein the crowd awaited for the said event. True enough the fireworks was beautiful. As I stood there, looking up the sky in awe, Yonghwa oppa walked closer and said,

          “They say that when you watch a fireworks display in Verona with a girl, you’re meant to fall in love with each other.”

          I just expressed my disbelief.

          “and where did you get that from? The internet?”

          “Nope. From my heart. it’s a Jung Yonghwa original.”

          I laughed. That was so lame, but why did I find it cute? The display ended and his driver arrived to take us back to the hotel. On the way, he kept trying to make conversation. I joined in casually, but kept my answers short and limited.

          As we were nearing the hotel, I heard him say,

          “I plan on going back here. I still want to visit Florence, Rome, and Venice, but that’ll only happen if the girl I would spend forever with will come with me.”

          “What if you don’t find the girl or if you did, and she doesn’t want you?”


          “Then I guess this will be the last time I’m setting foot on this country.”  I was going to but the serious tone in his voice made me rethink my decision.

          “Here we are. Can I walk you to your room?”

          “No. I’m not that stupid.”

          “I never said you were. C’mon. please? I won’t try anything funny. I won’t even ask you to invite me in. Just so you know, my respect for women is really high. Living with 2 sisters can do that. Please? It’s the gentleman thing to do. Please be kind and don’t reject this lonely man.”

          He pouted. Argh! Why couldn’t I resist that?

          “Fine. My room’s over there. 207.”

          “Wow. So close yet so far. I’m on the opposite wing, 217.”

          We reached the door and we stood outside awkwardly. I said my thanks and goodnight. I closed the door but I didn’t take another step forward. Before I decided against it, I opened the door only to find him still standing there. AWKWARD SILENCE. Great. Now what?

          “I, uh..”

          “I uhm…I thought it was room service..uh..” Room service?! Shut up, shut up joohyun!

          “Uh…here. I forgot to give it a while ago. It’s our concert ticket. I’m not expecting anything, but I still hope you’d come. It’s a secluded VIP area. Shindong hyung’s family are the ones occupying majority of that space. Uhh..”

          “Oh..uhm…I…uh…I don’t know, I’m not sure, but I’ll try…uh, thanks. Good night.”

          I tried to hurry back to my room but before I could close the door he held it.

          “Wait. I just…I just want to say goodnight.”

          I contemplated calling him back and telling him that I’d love to go to the concert when he turned around and smiled at me. He walked back, drew closer, and for a second I thought he was going to kiss me. I am annoyed at myself for being disappointed.  Instead, he whispered something,

          “Just so you know, I never imagined us “doing the deed.” It’s called making love, Hyu~n, and I imagined how perfect it would be on our honeymoon. Goodnight. Dream of me.” he smiled, winked, and like the choding he is, he ran back to his room. Me? Still left standing, blushing, and my heart racing. Argh. Jung Yonghwa. What are you doing to me?

 

 

THIRD PERSON POV:

6 Months Earlier…

 

          “YAH! Lee Jonghyun, Kang Minhyuk, Lee Jungshin, would you care to explain THIS?!” Jessica screamed as she pointed to CNBLUE’s poster for their Blue Moon World Tour.

          The 3 of them squirmed in their seats. Jungshin was fumbling around with his phone when an article caught his eye. Ha!

          “What about THIS noona?! Would care to explain it please?” he said as he showed her the article, with a smug look on his face.

          Jessica and the rest of the girls immediately took out their phones to confirm the news. It was all over the internet – Seohyun’s upcoming comeback to the international scene. The articles claimed that her agency, SJYNC Entertainment confirmed that Seohyun was set to work in the US for a couple of months to film another movie and produce some songs for the artists there.

          “Argh! These two!! Did they do this on purpose knowing that the 2 year thing is almost up?!” (Sooyoung)

          “What do we do now?” (Yoona)

          “First of all, the 3 of you, why did you agree on the additional dates for that world tour?! I thought we all had an agreement to “reunite” them exactly when the 2 years is up!” (Jessica)

          “We thought that it won’t extend up to the date we planned. We forgot about our individual schedules so the additional tour dates had to be pushed back. The agency already confirmed the cities and we can’t retract that now. Besides, it was Yonghwa hyung’s idea! He was the one who posted in CNBLUE’s official accounts before anything was confirmed.” (Jonghyun)

          "Noona, what about Seohyun? I thought you said she only had the musical and that one mini-drama left in her schedule? What is with this comeback to the US?” (Minhyuk)

          “The last time we talked to her manager, that was the latest schedule. We also didn’t know about this.” (Sunny)

          As if on cue, Heechul entered the private clubhouse (aka Team Yongseo’s HQ; located within the private subdivision area where they all live).

          “What? Why are you looking at me like that?! ahh. You must’ve read the articles. That’s what I came here for. I knew it was fishy when Seohyun suddenly wanted to accept those talk show appearances. None of us knew that she was going to say something about the US or so. WHAT?! Believe me! I’m also innocent!” (Heechul)

          Silence enveloped the room. They thought long and hard about this. Shindong entered the room.

          “Why are you so invested in this “couple” anyway? Don’t you think you’re doing them more harm than good? Trying to force them into each other’s arms like that? What if they were meant to be just friends and nothing more than that? What if they are really not each other’s halves just like what you guys insist?”

          It was an honest question. Truth be told, they even asked that amongst themselves. Every time they’d begin to doubt, the couple in question gives them reasons to hold on. The atmosphere became solemn. Truth time.

          “When we were kids, Yonghwa told me that when he meets his “soulmate” he thinks it’s going to be like a big bang – you know, a huge crash? A very impactful collision? That was why when I saw him literally crash into a girl during our first day in high school, I never ceased to , just for fun. He wouldn’t tell me who the girl was. It took me months before I found out that it was Seohyun. I tried to tell him to go find another person to bother. I love both of them dearly and I don’t want things to get messy when the whole “I like you, you like me, let’s date, then breakup” happens and I have to be stuck in between choosing my brother over my friend. I even got mad at him and asked,

          “Why do you follow her around so much?! Do you like her?! Pick another girl! You may be my brother, but she’s the group’s maknae. She’s not some girl you can consider as a challenge to woo just because she’s different!”

          That was when I saw it -that look in my brother’s eyes. He denied liking her of course but what he said made me realize he never intended to play around with her. He told me,

          “She’s never just a challenge, noona. She’s different, yes, but in a good way. I hated studying but because of her, I ended up liking it. She makes me want to become a better person, noona. In my eyes, she will always be special.”

          He never calls me noona voluntarily unless he wants something from me or when he’s serious about what he’s saying. We were 15 then. I thought it was just a crush he’d get over with but when I observed him, like really looked at his actions and all, I knew it was more than that. He’s falling in love and he doesn’t even know it, same goes for Hyun.

          I started the whole Team Yongseo just for fun, to make them realize what has been so obvious all along. I never forced anyone to join. They just did, and when I asked why, they said the same thing. There was something special, genuine, and rare between the two amidst the bickering front and their differences (they are the perfect example of complete opposites).

          Believe me, I tried to force Yonghwa to go meet some people. I even arranged some blind dates for him and every other opportunity to meet other girls at the time when Seohyun was MIA. We got into a huge fight because of that. I told him to stop moping around and move on. He yelled at me to leave him alone and stop meddling in his “love life.” This was our conversation. I could never forget it:

          “Jung Yonghwa, get your head straight! She’s not coming back anytime soon and you have to face that fact! Stop punishing yourself and move on! I love you both but it kills me to see you with that emptiness in your soul. I know you’re trying to be happy, but for crying out loud, MOVE ON, please! I know you too well, Jung Yong. We shared the same space for 9 months, remember?! That twin connection thing IS true. You may fool others but not me.”

          “WOULD YOU MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS?! I never asked you to interfere with my life and yet you always do!”

          “I’m sorry. I’m so sorry, ok! I promise, I’d stop teasing you about her. I’ll never mention her name again. Just please, please, Yong. Be happy. Be genuinely happy. Let her go. Date some other girl. Maybe you and Seohyun were never meant to be. Maybe I was wrong. I’m sorry for putting all that delusional shipper thing in your head. Go and put yourself out there. Enjoy. Give other girls a chance to be a part of your life. Please.”

          “Joohyun is not the anchor or sole reason for my happiness, noona. I am happy, just not that completely yet. Isn’t that the case for everyone?  That’s why we go and try to find our place in this world. We’re young, I get that. I am thankful to have you guys, my family, our friends, classmates, everyone who’s become a part of my life since the day I was born.

          I am a man, Jung Sooyeon. I’m not the one who should “put himself out” on the “market” just for the sake of having a companion. I’m the guy. I’m the one who should pursue, and not be the one being pursued. I know it’s the 21st century and all, but that’s just how I am. I want to be the one who finds that girl, that “soulmate” you always mention. It’s me who should go after her even if chances of being rejected are there. I don’t want to be the kind of guy who dates a girl just to prove his ‘manliness’ or relieve the pressure of being a single guy. I don’t want to give false hopes and go break as many hearts as possible.

Whenever I thought of just going on a date to “go with the flow” I remember those nights you and Krystal cried over douchebags. Do you remember? When you dated that Ok Taecyeon? That bastard who dated you because of  a bet and because you were the campus queen? Or what about the time you cried when that older guy Lee Dongwook told you that you weren’t the “forever kind of girl” he was looking for but thanks anyway because dating you was fun? What about another one named Yoo Ah In? That jerk who two-timed you? Or that American guy, what was his name? Stephen Smith? And Baby Jung, our little sister Krystal. When some guy gave her chocolates and then publicly humiliated her when she said he liked him too? I can’t. I don’t want to be that guy who makes other guys’ sisters cry. Women are to be treasured, not trashed. They have fathers and brothers who protects them from bastards who want nothing more than to have a good time. Whenever I thought of going through the motions half-heartedly, I am reminded that I don’t want some guy to treat my sisters the sa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter