CHAPTER 16 YONGSEO IN VARIETY: RUNNING MAN

Redefining Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Running Man

 

 

HER POV:

 

          I love this show but never once did I imagine I’d be in it. I’ve been invited several times before but I declined to protect my “actress image.” So what am I doing here? I know this room. This setup…this feel. I am not an avid fan for nothing. My suspicions were confirmed when the PD went inside the room with Yonghwa oppa.

 

          I wanted to cry. How can I be a “spy?” Granted, I’ve won acting awards here and abroad but when it comes to lying? I’m the worst! There isn’t a script here. The variety attack is different. How do I respond?! I turned to Yong oppa and he was sending me a message through his eyes.

         

          “Don’t worry. We’re in this together.”

           

HIS POV:

 

          I could feel her anxiety building up by the way she touched her hair and nodded as if she was listening. I knew she was nervous. This is her first time to participate in variety and it had to be in one of the most competitive shows. I knew she loved Running Man, but as a “sunbae” I wanted to tell her that watching and participating in it are two very different things.

 

The physical aspect, I know she can deal with it. She could be athletic when she wants to. The mind games, probably. She’s not a genius for nothing. But the emotional thing? This whole “betrayal” concept, I am not so sure if she could deal with it, especially since I am in the picture.

         

          As the PD finished giving us our “mission,’ she turned to me with that worried look in her eyes. I looked back as if to tell her not to worry, that I’ll be with her every step of the way. I knew she got the message as she smiled.

 

 

THIRD PERSON POV:

 

 

          Filming began. The cast of Running Man was getting ready for the “guests” to make their entrance. As soon as Jung Yonghwa stepped outside the curtains, the response was lukewarm. It is his 9th guesting on the show after all.

         

          “Aish. I thought we were getting a female idol! What are you doing here Yong?!” (Haha)

 

          “PD-nims, shouldn’t we just recruit Yonghwa in our show? How many times has he guested?! Besides this is the only variety he goes on!” (Yoo Jaesuk)

         

          The background music played CNBLUE's latest single, "Lady." Yonghwa couldn't hide the smile on his face and the cast began to more.

 

"Ohooooo!!! Jung Yonghwa is in love! Who's the lady? Don't you think you owe us her name after taking away a chance to pair up with a female idol?!” (Kwangsoo)

"Did you bring your lady with you?" (Jongkook)

"Yah, Kim Jongkook! You're so shameless! How many love lines have you established already? Yonghwa-yah, make sure you don't let your "lady" get anywhere near this One Man!" (Sukjin)

"You really turned tides with your latest album! Song Jihyo even thought of breaking up the Monday Couple to become your lady!" (Gary)

"Yah! Kang Gary!" (Jihyo)

"Yah the 2 of you, you can continue arguing later. What's the theme for today's episode?" (Jaesuk)

As Jaesuk asked that question, "Twinkle" began playing in the background. The male cast was in chaos as the spotlight revealed a girl’s silhouette behind the curtains.

"Wooaaahhhh!! Daebak! Tiffany? Taeyeon?? Seohyun?" (Jongkook)

"Fany & Taeyeon guested before..seolma..?? Seohyun?? Could it be..?" (Jihyo)

"Eyy! Since when did world star Seohyun accept variety shows? Don't get your hopes up!" (Sukjin)

"But the shadow doesn't look like Fany or Taeyeon though! Twinkle is playing! Waah! Is it really Seohyun-sshi??" (Jaesuk)

“As long as it isn’t Sayeon noona!!! Palli nawa!” (Haha & Kwangsoo)

 

The curtains slowly lifted up. The suspense was heart pounding. As soon as the girl's face was visible, the entire cast, even some of the production staff went in mental breakdown. For the first time ever, the mysterious and international award winning celebrity Seohyun graced the korean variety show world.

However, before any of the male fans had a chance to greet her, Song Jihyo surprised everyone by running directly towards Seohyun and welcoming her with a hug.

"Kyaaaaaaaa!!!! Omo! Is this for real?! Kyaaaa!!! I'm such a huge fan, Seohyun-sshi! I love all of your work! Omooo!!! Can I get a hug?" (Jihyo)

Seohyun politely smiled and nodded as she granted Jihyo's request. The older actress was practically in tears from so much happiness. While wiping her eyes, she exclaimed,

"Running Man is daebak! PD & SBS are daebak! How can you convince Seohyun-sshi to go on our show? You're jjang!!! Kyaaaa!!!"

Seohyun felt flattered by the response. She laughed as the guys tried to pry Jihyo away from her.

"YAH! Cheon Seong Im!!! How can you ambush a world star like that?!" (Haha)

" Jihyo noona is daebak! She beat all fanboys here!” (Kwangsoo)

"Wooaahh. I still can't believe that Seohyun is standing right in front of me. Waaah!" (Jongkook)

Seohyun bowed her head and introduced herself.

"Annyeonghasaeyo, Seohyun imnida...."

 

She wasn't even finished talking when everyone else began screaming again.

 "Kyaaaa!!! This isn't a dream!" (Jihyo)

"Omo it's real! Seohyun really is here!!!" (Kwangsoo)

"Is this your first time in variety?" (Jaesuk)

"Ne. I love Running Man so much. I never missed a single episode."

"Kyaaaa!! World star Seohyun watches our show!!! Kyaaaa!!!" (Haha)

"Who is your favorite member?" (Jongkook)

"Ey, stop dreaming hyung. She's not going to choose you!" (Kwangsoo)

"And what makes you think she's going to pick you?!" (Jongkook)

"Yoo Jaesuk & Song Jihyo sunbaenims." (Seohyun)

The 2 people mentioned couldn't hide their happiness and satisfaction. They didn't miss a chance to rub it in other members' face that Seohyun chose them.

 

"This is odd. Why are you suddenly going to variety now?" (Jaesuk)

          "Yah, Myuk PD! Don't you dare give her that tea!!!" (Haha)

At this time, the announcement of their movie has just hit the net, that's why the RM members didn't know. The male cast members were about to shake Seohyun's hand but they were disappointed to see Yonghwa interrupt and shook their hands instead.

"Ohooo.. Why is Jung Yonghwa suddenly becoming overprotective?" (Jongkook)

"Perhaps...? Omo? Seohyun sshi is your lady???" (Haha)

"Yah, it's odd! Are you two dating or what?" (Jaesuk)

"Aniyo!" (yongseo)

“But I wish we were.” Yonghwa murmured to himself.

The other members took out their phones to see if the two hold any connection. They just read the articles and saw the teaser trailer.

"Omooo! You two! Since when did you become so romantic? Hahaha!" (Haha)

"Your movie is daebak! The teaser is really jjang!" (Sukjin)

The PD cut them off to proceed dividing them into "teams." As agreed earlier, Yongseo will only be on the same team at the final venue to prevent suspicion.  The teams aren’t permanent. The important thing is to collect as much golden keys as possible.

They headed to their respective cars to go to the next mission.

 

Mission location 1 : S Pool Complex

Everyone was shocked. The weather outside was freezing. The sight of the pool was not exactly welcoming. High above the pool were 9 chairs, which were arranged to form a circle.

 

"Waah. How can you be so cruel? You're going to dump us in the pool in this kind of weather?! Yah! You could've chosen an indoor pool complex!" (Jongkook)

"You're not going to be wet if you do well on this game." (PD)

"You think we don't know that it'll take multiple tries before we get the hang of this game?! Yah!" (Haha)

          The game was simple. They just have to pass around the “bomb” and the one who gets stuck holding it as the song ends will automatically fall in the pool.

 

          The members passed the bomb peacefully at first until they felt that the time for the music to stop was drawing near. In the end, Kwangsoo got stuck with the bomb.

          “YAH!!!! HYUNG! How can you pass this to me at that time?! I told you I didn’t want it!” Kwangsoo kept protesting about the “injustice” of it all as he fell. The game continued as “Twinkle” played in the background.

          “Yah! Gary oppa take this!!! PD –nim! Gary oppa doesn’t want to get the bomb!!! Yah!!!” in the end, the bomb went to Jihyo.

          “KANG GARY!”

            As Jihyo fell in the water, Gary looked down and said,

          “Mianhe, Jihyo-yah but oppa has to survive.”  

The game went on until only Seohyun and Yonghwa were left. Even the production cast was surprised with this result. They expected at least one of them will fall earlier in the game. Their seats were rearranged to lessen the gap. The cast watching them from below began to tease them.

          “Daebak! What reversal is this?! How can you two end up there? hahahaha!” (Jihyo)

          “Are you wishing it was us instead? If it were the two of us left, will you let me fall?” (Gary)

            “Neh. You didn’t even hesitate letting me fall earlier!” Jihyo said without batting an eyelash.

          “Yah, Yonghwa-ya, don’t think about anything else but winning. Seohyun-sshi can handle the pool, right?” (Sukjin)

          “Hyung! How can you suggest that to a girl?!” (Kwangsoo & Haha)

          “Wae? It’s just a game!” (Sukjin)

          “But the two up there are taking it so seriously! Hahahaha!” (Jongkook)

         

          The two didn’t know how this first game would end. The bomb ended up in Yonghwa’s hands. Yonghwa splashed into the pool.

          “Wah! Jung Yonghwa is a namja! Did you sacrifice yourself for that?” (Jaesuk)

          “Aniyo! I tried my best to survive too!” he was telling the truth.

          “Seohyun-sshi is blushing up there!!” (Kwangsoo)

          As everyone else changed into dry clothes, they received instructions to go on their second mission location.

 

Mission Location 2: D University Soccer Field

          The filming area was surrounded by students. The crowd erupted in cheers upon seeing the Running Man mainstays but it went chaotic as soon as Seohyun stepped out from the car.

          In the middle of the field was a tall circular platform. It was the Photozone mission. The photozone covers the entire platform area. They have to successfully take an “aegyo proof shot” within that zone when the camera clicks.

          However, all 9 members have to run from a starting line which was around 12 meters away from the platform. The pathway leading to the platform was made up of the infamous and highly upgraded acupressure mat.

          “You have to take off your socks.” (PD)

          Upon hearing this, Seohyun was the first to react.

          “NEH?!!!”

          The members laughed at her surprised expression.

          “If you want, I can piggyback you while running so that your feet won’t hurt.” Yonghwa suggested, his voice was full of concern.

          As soon as Yonghwa said that, the entire crowd screamed,

          “KYAAAAA!!!! YONGSEOOOOO!!!!”

            “Omo!!! Kang Gary! Do it for me too!” (Jihyo)

          “Aniya. You’re too heavy.” (Gary)

          “YAH!” (Jihyo)

         

          Seohyun didn’t know how else to respond but to playfully slap Yonghwa’s shoulder. The others thought that even the gesture was too sweet that’s why they continued to tease them.

          “Ey, don’t be shy Seohyun-sshi. It’s just a piggyback ride!” (Jaesuk)

          “Jung Yonghwa says he will endure the pain for you! Aigoo so mushy!!!” (Haha)

          “Hyung, carry me too!” (Kwangsoo to Jongkook)

          “Carry yourself!” (Jongkook)

          They were too busy arguing and teasing until the PD surprisingly blew the whistle. By instinct, they ran towards the platform but immediately retreated because of the pain of the acupressure mat.

          In the end, they all succeeded (after much pain from that mat and all the violent shoving and pushing) and were now headed to the third location.

 

Mission Location 3: H Shopping Mall

 

Bell Hide & Seek; Remove the other teams’ individual gold wristbands

          One team will seek, two teams will hide. The hiding teams cannot attack until the time to swap roles ends. Gary’s team chose to seek first. They were able to eliminate Sukjin and Haha.

          It was Jaesuk and Jongkook’s turn to seek. They were only able to eliminate Kwangsoo.

          Yonghwa & Jihyo successfully eliminated Jongkook and Seohyun.

          Gary was the only one left to face Yonghwa & Jihyo’s team.

          “How can you do this to me, Song Jihyo? Can’t you let me off, just this once?” (Gary)

          Jihyo agreed to let him go. As Kang Gary turned to leave, Jihyo winked at the camera. Yonghwa successfully tore Kang Gary’s gold wristband.

 

Mission Location 4: G Restaurant

          “Go ahead and eat.”

          The cast seem

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter