CHAPTER 8: OF FILMINGS, FLASHBACKS, & REVELATIONS

Redefining Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Warning: Slightly long chapter; Prepare for the rollercoaster of events & emotions. Enjoy!

 

HER POV:

 

          I stood from afar as I watched him mend the pieces of his broken heart while the girl he likes politely turned him down. As soon as the car was out of sight, I walked closer towards him. The summer sun shone brightly so it took me (and him) by surprise when the rain came out of nowhere. I ran towards where he stood frozen and shielded him with a yellow umbrella.

          He looked up at me and that was when I first felt my heart beat faster. He took my hand in his, and never once did I see him look so dejected. I tried to ease the burden as I joked,

          “That’s why you should’ve fallen for me instead.”  I laughed so hard at his facial expression.

          “Huh? What falling for you are you saying?! I’m sad because she wouldn’t sell those concert tickets to me! It’s Super Junior’s last concert before they enlist in the army and I promised my sisters I’d buy them the VIP tickets! How was I supposed to know that the fandom would gobble it all up in less than a minute?! Aishh!! What am I going to do?! waaah!”

          I felt embarrassed. Pabo, Yoorim. Of course Seju oppa isn’t the type to chase after girls or be rejected. How can you unconsciously reveal your heart to him?! Wait, reveal my heart?! I tried to hide my blushing face but he kept teasing me. I almost slipped and let go of the umbrella. Just like those scenes in the movie, everything went in slow motion. He held me in his strong arms as he managed to hold the umbrella on his right. I wanted to blame the sunlight for making him “glow” in my eyes and the rain for “forcing” me to stay huddled with him under this umbrella. He looked at me, and smiled.  That was when I knew I fell in love..no preludes or anything dramatic..just an ordinary day with my bestfriend. I wriggled free from his grasp and searched my knapsack. Aha! Found it!

          “What are you doing?”

          “You didn’t think I’d share the same umbrella with you right?! See! My shoulder is already wet! You should’ve tilted it to my side than yours. Aish. Good thing I have a spare one! Bye! Race you to the bus stop!”

          I ran before I could do something stupid like kiss him or tell him I love him. From a distance, I could hear him yell,

          “Yah! Han Yoorim! Can’t we exchange umbrellas?! Why do I have this small yellow one while you get the black one?! Yah! Come back here, you!”

          And just like that, he chased after me…so after all those years of wondering…yeah..it’s funny…because love finally came, somewhere in the rain…

          “CUT!!!”

          The assistant PD yelled just like I instructed him to. I sat down to take a break. We are halfway done with both movies (we filmed simultaneously to avoid suspicion). We were just filming the “highlight” scenes.

          “Yah, Seo Joohyun, You owe me an apology!” I was puzzled as I took the water bottle Yonghwa oppa offered me.

          He sighed and feigned looking hurt. “Ouch. You don’t remember?! Ey. Stop acting. You think I don’t know?”

          Of course I remembered, but no way would I tell him that.

          “Arraso. That was the first thing I said to you after that ‘collision.’ Since then, you followed me around and became my best friend!”

          I smacked his arm playfully. It was the start of our friendship but never did I “follow him around.” It was always the opposite.

 

2004

HIS POV:

         

FRESHMAN CARD PASS

Name:                         Seo Joohyun

Student Number:       2004009

Year level:                 First year

Special distinction:  Piano, Drama, Writing, Singing, Dancing, Health Sciences

 

Note: Please bring this card pass to claim your class schedule and other materials. Loss of this card should be reported immediately. Consequences of lost card: Fine of 150,000 won and 1 week in detention.

 

 

          I picked up the piece of paper as I stood up and rushed to the auditorium. I made it just in time before the doors were locked. The rumors were true. The late students received the “punishments” that we were warned about. I told my sister but she just rolled her eyes. As the principal went on with his boring speech, I scanned the room, hoping to put a “face” to the name “Seo Joohyun,” the girl responsible for me being almost late.

          I turned towards the right side and saw a girl wearing red glasses so focused on the discussion. She looked so innocent and cute, but the moment she felt that someone was staring at her (aka, yours truly), her eyes met mine. She scowled at me and I had this childish tendency to tease people, so I winked at her. As soon as I did that, she stuck her tongue out at me, gave me an ice cold glare and paid attention back to the principal. Innocent my . This girl is a tiger.

          As the students filed out of the room, I took my time before strolling off to the STUDENT ADMINISTRATION office. From the outside, I could see Ms. Red Glasses begged as she explained how she lost her card.

          “Please, Ma’am. I’m not usually this clumsy. Do I really have to pay the fine? I’m sorry. Can’t I have my things first and pay later? I only have enough money with me right now. I’m so sorry ma’am!”

          “Miss Seo, we have zero tolerance for irresponsible students. I don’t care how or why you misplaced or lost your freshman pass. The point is, you don’t have it now and so, either you face the consequences, pay the fine, or just drop out and enroll somewhere else.”

          Well, well..so my innocent tiger IS Seo Joohyun. I walked behind her but since she was too busy rationalizing with the clerk, I didn’t say a word. I laughed at her lame attempt to get out of this situation. Realizing that the clerk won’t give in, she left and she sat at the waiting area. She was fumbling with her phone(probably to call her parents or friends) when I tapped her shoulder and said,

“Yah, Seo Joohyun, You owe me an apology!”

          She glared at me and whoa..this girl’s stare really is cold as ice.

          “Who are you and how do you know my name?!”

          I took out her pass and grinned. She tried to take it away from me but I wanted to . I took advantage of my “height” and waved the paper around. She grumbled and threatened to walk away but I won’t fall for it.

          “Suit yourself, Joohyun-ah…hmmm..i wonder what I should do with this? I think that new shredder in the student office …”

          She walked back, successfully snatched the paper in my hand, stomped on my foot, and told me,

          “Don’t “Joohyun” me! We’re not close! Jerk!”  she said as she ran off back to the student admin’s offices.

          I laughed. This girl is cute. I ran up to catch up with her and put my arm around her shoulder. She glared at me and tried to wriggle free but I caught her in a headlock. She stomped on my foot and by instinct I let her go. She ran but I still caught her. I extended my hand as I said,

          “Hi. I’m Jung Yonghwa.”

          She shook my hand and I didn’t let go until she introduced herself.

          “Seo Joohyun, but you already know that.”

          “Hyu~n”

          “Yo~ng”

I smiled. For the first time since we met, she smiled back at me.

          It was the beginning of a wonderful friendship…and since then, I think I have always followed her around.

2014

HER POV:

          We were strolling around Jeju, still in our “high school uniforms” as we waited for the crew to finish the setup.

          “Go.”

          I was confused for a moment until I remembered what he meant. He was trying to play the “goguma game.” We shot that scene awhile back, for Winterfalls. It was the scene of Han Yoorim & Park Seju’s “first meeting.” They were in the practice room and since the awkward silence was unbearable, “Park Seju” attempted to break the ice with that lame game.

          “Gu.”

          “Ma.”

          “Go.”

          “Gu.”

          “Ma.”

          “Is this the goguma game?” I parodied myself and we ended up laughing.

          “What are we doing in Jeju island, Hyu~n?”

          Before I could answer, the assistant PD called us up. Back to work.

THIRD PERSON POV:

They were filming a sequence for Winterfalls. This time, it was the solo interviews of Park Seju and Han Yoorim post-WGM. The room was divided into 2 sets, with separate “audiences” to recreate a “tv show feel” ala Strong Heart.

          The “MCs” asked Park Seju to pick which one of his leading ladies is he likely to have feelings for. Yonghwa looked at Seohyun before reciting his lines.

          “I think the answer is obvious. It’s Yoorim. Han Yoorim.”

          The “guests,” “MCs” and “audience” kept teasing “Seju.” “You’re not “married” anymore so you’re no longer obligated to keep choosing her as your ideal type. Why don’t you pick another one?”

          Despite others egging him to mention another female celebrity, Park Seju remained cool and composed. His answer stunned and impressed the viewers, guests, and hosts.

          “Our virtual marriage is over, but me choosing her has nothing to do with feeling obligated or proving my loyalty. It’s just that, amongst all the actresses, and fellow idols I’ve worked with, she is the one I’m most comfortable with. I never had the chance and neither did I pursue the opportunity to get to know the others on a deeper personal level. When the project ends, so does our communication. I became closer to some of them but not to the extent of my closeness with Yoorim.

          Yonghwa briefly posed, looked towards Seohyun’s direction, before getting back in character. This time though, he completely abandoned the script and said the words in his heart.

          “I used to say there are zero chances of us being a real life couple. I said that because I value our friendship too much; but if I set aside our history and focus on the qualities, she’s the one who fits the ideal type I have in mind. No, wait…she IS the ideal type. Every other woman pales in comparison.

          I think no matter how hard she tries to avoid me, or no matter how much she tries to push me away, our paths will always cross. That’s what separates us from other WGM couples – whereas they get “separated/divorced” by circumstances, in our case, it would only be by “choice.” We are under the same agency, our fans are mature enough to let us publicly date, our friends and family are all for it…if it doesn’t work out, then, the fault relies on us and no one else’s. However, that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t make an effort. The reason we are not dating right now is because we are taking it slow, one step at a time.

          Instead of jeopardizing a potential love because of wrong timing and public pressure, I think it’s best that we give each other the space we need to grow as individuals, and professionals. We may not be involved romantically yet, but at least our friendship ensures that each of us is a part of the other’s growth. Wouldn’t that be more meaningful? When the timing is right and both parties feel that we are ready to pursue a commitment, only then, would we take things a step further. Love is not something that should be rushed just for the sake of pleasing our “shippers” or extending the fantasy of the variety show. Love is like a dandelion seed, it needs to be nurtured and cared for before it blooms.”

 

HIS POV:

          “CUT!!!”  I heard her voice as soon as I finished speaking. The crew became busy preparing to shoot for the next sequence. I saw her went outside and I followed suit.

          It’s awkward. Was I overboard with that adlib? Is she mad that I changed the course of the script without her permission? After all, she is the one in charge of this project. I faked a cough and that’s when she turned around and acknowledged my presence, though it didn’t do anything with the awkward atmosphere. I heaved a sigh and decided to give Jungshin’s weird ice breaker a try.

          “Giant polar bear.”

          “What?”

          “Nothing. It’s an icebreaker. Jungshin taught me that. haha! at least it worked right? You’re talking to me now.”

          “Well, tell Jungshin chinggu his icebreaker is lame. This is worse than that goguma game you suggested for Seju & Yoorim’s first meeting. Haha!”

          “Yah! You agreed with it though! But…uh…uhm…are you…are you mad at me?” I shuffled my feet and looked at the ground.

          “Why would I be?” she asked, her voice devoid of accusation.

          “Because I suddenly ad-libbed and went off script. If you want we can retake that scene again and I promise this time I won’t change anything!”

          “No. It’s fine. I think it was brilliant. Better than what you first wrote.”

          “But why did you run away as soon as you said cut?”

          “I didn’t run away. I just needed some air.”

          “Whatever. Liar!”

          “I’m not! Seriously, though…where did you get all those lines? Your acting felt so real back there. I didn’t know you had it in you. Eyyy!”

          Should I tell her the truth? That the reason it felt so real was because it really was? That those were the words I wanted to tell her? Of course not. She’d run away again.

          “C’mon. Let’s go back. It’s freezing out here and you need to film your side of the interview.”

          “Don’t leave the set until the cameras stop rolling.” She warned me.

          “Huh…and why should I stay, PD-nim?” I teased.

          “Because I’m not going to follow the script either. Ah, one of the perks of being the director and writer – you can change it up anytime you want. You’re not the only one who can come up with some romantic lines on the spot. Did you forget? I beat you the last time we battled it out. Hahaha! You’ll be the one to say “CUT!” ok? And don’t you dare mess it up. I let you have your moment. It’s only fair you give me mine.”

          I did the whole “Scout’s Honor” gesture as I ushered her back to the set. What have you in store this time, Seo Joohyun?

 

THIRD PERSON POV:

          The cameras started rolling. A different setup was in focus. It was similar to those one-on-one talk show format, which is also named after its host. The female MC looked at the beautiful guest sitting across her as they discussed topics about career, music, personal habits, and finally, love.

          “We have come to the portion wherein the fans get to send in a question. I think this one is unanimous. We received the same question for over 2,000 times! Wow! So here it goes..what fans want to ask Han Yoorim the most: What is We Got Married to you?”

          Yoorim smiled and touched her hair. It was a sign that she was nervous, but being the professional that she is, she did her best to set aside her worries. She melted the audience with her honesty and sincerity…

          Behind the cameras, a man waited in anticipation as the next scene unfolds. Seohyun looked for the said man, flashed a smile, and went back in character.

          “To be honest, I have been such a huge fan of the show long before I made my debut. Season 2 was my favorite. The other members loved it, so I decided to give it a try. I became emotionally invested in the couples. I kept reminding myself that it’s all just a show, and chances are, they don’t interact much in real life. At the back of my mind, I always thought it was scripted.”

          The audience gasped as soon as the word “scripted” was mentioned. Yoorim paused, and then continued.

          “Then the episodes progressed, and so did their relationships. I, as a viewer, became so hooked. They blurred the line between reel and real. I was confused. I kept asking, “How can they not develop feelings for each other when they shared so many beautiful memories?”

Their simple gestures and body language were a giveaway. I tried to dismiss such thoughts by convincing myself it’s all just made up of my delusional shipper mind. But, that wasn’t the case. I had other friends, those who are not into variety shows or have never paid attention to WGM before, who randomly watched some episode with me and they’d comment on how much the couples like each other.  A wave of emotions rushed through me – relief that what I saw wasn’t a figment of my shipper heart, and confusion about the sincerity.

          If I myself, as a mere viewer, got lost in the illusion WGM created, what more for the couples who are actually “living” it? If I was confused about the sincerity, I can only wonder how many times the couples asked themselves that question when the cameras aren’t rolling.

          I could make a research, gather all the data I needed just to satisfy my curiosity, but then, it wouldn’t really answer my initial concern. I can only guess, hypothesized and wonder. I knew that the best way for me to get the answer was to be an actual participant. I knew that the idea not only sounds crazy, but it actually is. Truth be told, the producers offered it to me several times but I rejected.

Am I ready to be involved in a public relationship even if it’s just for show? Can I participate in the show and not get emotionally attached to my partner? Am I ready to have the entire world watch me as I handle a relationship for the first time? Those questions plagued me. Up until the second I met I “virtual husband” I couldn’t get rid of such thoughts.

          As the days went by, we, Seju oppa and I, were able to learn more about each other. I didn’t think that was possible given our history as high school friends and all that. haha! I thought we knew everything there is to know about each other, but WGM proved otherwise.

          Going back, I got the answer to my questions. It didn’t come by all at once. It was a process of discovery. It wasn’t easy. As I am able to solve one mystery, another set follows suit. The realization process was truly a rollercoaster ride. At the height of my confusion, I consoled myself by saying that there were others who experienced the same thing and are doing great now. Haha!”

          The audience laughed as if on cue. Even the “host”, who seemed flustered by the change of script direction, just went along with it.

          “This whole “virtual marriage” wasn’t supposed to be a big deal. It changed when feelings got inevitably involved. No matter how much I try to deny it, even if I did my best to lock my heart and command myself not to feel anything, it’s still useless. Regardless of the “image” other people may have about me, I still am a person, a girl who is also swept off her feet and feel all nervous around a guy, even if that guy has been her longtime friend/rival.

          WGM was supposed to be just a “learning ground” but it became much more than that. It is a beautiful memory that will always have a place in my heart no matter what happens in the future.”

 

HER POV:

          “CUT!” Unlike me, Yonghwa oppa came as soon as the cameras stopped rolling. He held out his hand in defeat as he said,

          “Wow. Wah. You never fail to amaze me Joohyun-ah. That was…that was beautiful, brilliant, even better than the first one you wrote. Seriously though, how were you able to come up with all those lines? Your acting back there felt so real. I didn’t you know you had it in you. Eyy!!” He teased and mocked me just like I did to him a few hours back.

          Should I tell him the truth? That the reason it felt so real was because it really was? That those were the words I wanted to tell him? That this project was supposed to be just my version of Yoorim’s WGM but ended up becoming so much more? Of course not. I can’t. I’m such a coward.

          We packed up and headed back to the hotel. As I lied awake in bed, I wished that tomorrow wouldn’t come so soon…for we are filming the scene I hated the most – the confrontation. I hope I can make it through without breaking down and running away.

HIS POV:

          We finished filming all the “nauseating” romantic scenes we had left in the script. Even the finale of both films were done. Tomorrow, we’d film the last scene – the confrontation. We intentionally put this at the end of our schedule. We just mutually agreed that it was best to film this last and that was it. No arguments.

          I sat on the bed and re-read the script for a hundredth time. I knew the lines by heart. This was our film version of “that” misunderstanding that led us apart all those years ago. But that’s not what I’m afraid of…I’m afraid that the conversation would turn real and we’d go out of the script and just say the words left unsaid. All these pent up feelings? What if I lose control and hurt her again? What if this time she runs away, and never come back? I hope I can make it through tomorrow without breaking down and tu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter