CHAPTER 24 THE MEET CUTE

Redefining Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

HER POV:

 

             I’ve always been a morning person. I wake up at 7:00am regardless of what time I slept the night before. However, today seems to be an exemption. I looked around and saw that the rest of the girls are still fast asleep. Krystal and Jessica unnie were hugging each other, Taeyeon unnie was hogging the other bed to herself, Yoona and Yuri unnie were cramped in the sofa, Sooyoung and Hyoyeon unnie were sprawled across the floor, as Sunny and Tiffany unnie somehow found themselves able to sleep in a sitting position. I groaned as I heard my phone notified me that I got a new message. Please don’t let this be Heenim or anyone from the company. Please. I can’t handle any emergency meetings or activities right now. I just want to sleep. I clumsily reached over to the bedside table and took my phone. As soon as I saw the sender’s name, my drowsiness left me. I sat up in bed and took a deep breath. Calm down, Joohyun-ah. It’s just a text. Probably one of those group messages or so. It’s just a text.

 

            *Being in love with you makes every morning worth getting up for. Good morning sweetheart!*

 

            Kyaaaaa! I could feel myself blushing and truth be told, I wanted to just jump up and down in my bed out of happiness. I resisted though because I know how violent these girls can be when you try to wake them up from their sleep. Instead, I quietly got out of bed and made my way towards the bathroom.

 

            After half an hour, I went back to my room and decided it was time to wake them up from their slumber.

 

            “Hi sweetheart.”

 

            That was the first thing they told me as soon as I set foot inside. It was like they practiced saying that coupled with those silly smiles on their faces. For a second, I was puzzled. Fany unnie must’ve sensed that because the next thing I knew, she’s waving my phone in the air. The good morning text. There’s no doubt they’ve seen it. I know that I’ve become more open about my feelings, but that doesn’t mean I’ll ever get used to their teasing. I felt my cheeks burn.

 

            “Jung Yonghwa’s sweetheart is blushing madly right now! hahaha!” (Yoona)

 

            “Hey sweetheart, must’ve been one heck of a good morning text huh? You got out of bed almost immediately.” (Taeyeon)

 

            “Sweetheart, how does it feel like to know that you’re the reason he wakes up for?” (Yuri)

 

            “You just can’t stand there and blush, sweetheart. Reply to his message! Palli!” (Sooyoung)

 

            Reply? I haven’t replied to his text?! Right. I was busy being too giddy to even think of a response. I could feel myself panicking any minute now. What should I text back?

 

            Goodmorning. Nah. too mainstream and professional, not to mention, boring.

            Hi. Hope you have a wonderful day ahead. Sounds fake and generic.

            Good morning too. that reply screams laziness.

            So, how was your sleep last night? Why am I even asking him that?!

            =). Too ambiguous.

 

            “Relax, hyunnie. Don’t stress yourself too much.” Fany unnie said as she handed me my phone. I re-read the text again and there goes that smile. I knew it didn’t escape the hawk eyes of my beloved sisters but for some unknown reason, they didn’t say anything else. I silently read his message again and that’s when I knew what I should tell him in response. The thing is, everybody else in the room recognized that look on my face – the look that implied that a lightbulb just switched on, kind of like a “AHA! I got it!” moment. I didn’t waste time as I ran to the corner of the room. I was able to hit send before any of them had a chance to peek at the message.

 

            “Hey! We want to know how the sweetheart replied! Ey! How can you just send that?” (Jessica)

 

            “Yonghwa’s sweetheart is such a secretive yeoja. Aish.” (Sooyoung)

 

            “She doesn’t want anyone else to read the message but him. haha!” (Sunny)

           

            “Relax, unnies. Don’t stress yourselves too much. It’s just a text.”
 

            I told them as I laughed and made my way to the kitchen to prepare our breakfast.

 

THIRD PERSON POV:

 

            Everyone else was done with their morning routine and they proceeded to the dining area. As Seohyun was busy fixing the table (along with Krystal), the others were whispering on the other side of the room.

 

            “Is everything ready?” (Jessica)

 

            “Yeah, I think so. The guys are supposed to be doing most of the preparations.” (Taeyeon)

 

            “How many places are we going to again? Are the backups ready?” (Tiffany)

           

            “Why are we whispering?!” (Hyoyeon)

 

            “Because we can’t risk Seohyun finding out about this genius master plan of that Jung Yonghwa, remember? Those two. They’re so lucky we ship them so much!” (Sooyoung)

           

            “I’m still curious about that text she sent. She was blushing and smiling a lot! It must’ve been cheesy.” (Yoona)

 

            “Cheesy? Uri Seohyun? Since when did that girl have a romantic bone in her body?” (Yuri)

 

            “Are you forgetting about their movies? She’s the one who wrote it.” (Sunny)
           
            “Not to mention, that disgusting and toe curling cheesy pick up battle she won a few years back.” (Jessica)

 

            They continued to talk about today’s plan and some were getting updates on the other side (aka, Yonghwa & the male members of Team YS). As they ate breakfast, they continued with their usual conversations about work, latest news (or gossip), fashion trends, and more.

 

HER POV:

 

            Something’s not right. They’re planning something. I can feel it. I was too busy scrutinizing their glances when my phone rang. I didn’t think twice as I fished my phone out of my pocket using my left hand. Wrong move. In an instant, Sooyoung unnie swooped in to take my phone as Hyoyeon and Yuri unnie held me captive. By instinct, I tried to free myself, but then I stopped struggling when I realized that my phone had a passcode. Ha. They can’t guess that no matter how hard they try. Just when I thought victory was at hand, all of them unanimously said the magic numbers.

 

            “110602.”

 

 

            O.O

 

 

            !!!!!!!!

 

 

            WHAT?! How did…but…why? How are they able to..? Huh?! All of them laughed at my expression. How were they able to guess the numbers?! I only use this combination for my personal phone. I tried to say something. Anything. But I was too dumbfounded to construct a proper sentence. They took it as their cue to explain how they figured out the combination.

 

            “September 11, 2004 Saturday, our freshman orientation in high school, aka your first meeting.” (Taeyeon)

 

“ February 11, 2008, Monday. Senior Prom aka the first unofficial, official date when the two of you went M.I.A. and reappeared as Sica was announced Queen. Haha!” (Hyoyeon)

 

 “April 11, 2014 Friday. The end of Grand Auditions, aka the First Meeting after 6 years of separation.” (Yoona)

 

“June 11,2014  Wednesday, the day your romantic comedy movies premiered.” (Krystal)

 

“August 11, 2014, Monday, the Black & White Party aka, the day the dating ban occurred.” (Sunny)

 

“February 11, 2017, Saturday, aka First Meeting 3.0 in Verona, Italy. 2 ½ years after the dating ban.” (Tiffany)

 

            “June. The 6th month of the year, aka Yongseo’s birth year. Yonghwa, June 22. Seohyun June 28.” (Sooyoung)

 

            “02. Your . Yonghwa 1989, Seohyun 1991. 1991 – 1989 = 2.” (Yuri)

 

            “Don’t look so shocked, Hyunnie. Are you forgetting that we are members of Team Yongseo? We’re not your bestfriends slash most dedicated shippers in the world, for nothing. This passcode of yours was a no-brainer. How do you think we read Jung Yong’s text an hour ago?” (Jessica)

 

            I don’t know whether to be shocked, angry, happy, impressed, or anything. I don’t even know how to react to that! I was too preoccupied with that thought when all of them squealed KYAAAAAA!!! OMOOO!!! at the same time. What now? Ah. They must’ve read what I sent Yong oppa earlier. Psh. WAIT. THEY READ THAT TEXT MESSAGE I SENT HIM?! I didn’t have to wonder any longer because Sunny, Tiffany, and Yuri unnie read the text out loud:

 

            *Knowing that there’s someone waking up as the same time as you, thinking that there’s someone also thinking about you. It’s a good way to start your day. Good morning……..SWEETHEART. =p*

 

            Why did I have to add that endearment in the end. In all caps nonetheless!!!! My tomato colored face has made its grand return. Great. Just great.

 

            “It’s ok, Hyunnie. You don’t need to be shy or feel embarrassed. Love makes us do things we thought we aren’t capable of….right….Sweetheart?” Fany unnie said as she gave me that eye smile her fans always fall for.

 

            “Today is going to be a good day, indeed. I can feel it. Yong and Seo sweethearts are going to have a blast!” (Sunny)

 

            “Omg the two of you are so cute! Gaaah!! You already have endearments for each other!” (Yoona)

 

            “Too much fluff…and they’re not an official couple yet! Kyaaaa!” (Hyoyeon)

 

            “Yah, Seo Joohyun..ooops, sorry. I mean, sweetheart. Hahaha!” (Yuri)

 

            “We forgot one more thing about the 11 in your passcode. It’s the number of days you asked him to ‘court’ you. Which coincidentally (or not), starts TODAY, June 12.”

 

            “UNNIES!!! Ah, chincha!”

 

            They must’ve found that cute because they kept hugging and pinching my cheeks.

 

            “Get dressed, sweetheart. Today is the first day of your 11 day courtship.” (Sooyoung)

 

            “We prepared your things sweetheart unnie. You just have to relax and go with the flow.” (Krystal)

 

            They all look like they’re on cloud nine. What’s with these smiles and stares? I don’t know if I should feel excited or nervous.

 

            “What are you guys up to?”

 

            I knew my voice kinda wavered but they just brushed it off and acted as if they weren’t plotting something. As if everything was normal.

 

            “Ey. We don’t want to be such a spoiler. Don’t worry Hyunnie. Even if it’s kinda tiring on everyone else’s part, we guarantee that it’s all worth it, SWEETHEART.” (Sunny)

 

           

            “We need you to promise us one thing maknae.” (Yuri)

 

            “What is it?”

 

            “You have to do EVERYTHING we tell you. You have to obey our orders or requests NO MATTER WHAT.” (Jessica)

 

            “Huh? But…why?”

 

            “Because it won’t work if you are stubborn. Please? We promise that we won’t let you do anything silly, maybe just a little or so. We’re not going to put you in harm’s way, sweetheart. Do you trust us?” (Tiffany)

 

            I looked at their faces one by one. They may be crazy and hyper at times (especially when it comes to Yonghwa oppa and I) but I know that they’ll never do anything to hurt me. I sighed in defeat, raised my hands, nodded, as  I said,

 

            “Ok. Fine. I promise. I’ll do anything you ask of me today, even if I’m not so sure that’s a good idea.”

 

            “YES! Don’t worry maknae. It’s definitely a great idea.” (Hyoyeon)

 

“Well, what are you waiting for, sweetheart? And yah, the rest of you, why aren’t you moving along? They’ll be here soon! Palli! Double time!” (Taeyeon)

           

             I’ll just go with the flow. I smiled back at them and even muttered a ‘Fighting!’ as I went inside my room to get dressed. This is going to be a long day.

 

 

 

THIRD PERSON POV:

 

            For today’s event, there were 3 Mehrzeller Caravans (that van Team YS used in Verona for First Meeting 3.0), one for the boys (blue), another for the girls (pink), and one more for the backup/others (the white one; the same one they used in Verona). Team YS constantly communicated with each other in order for Yonghwa’s plan to set in motion. After several minutes, they arrived in front of some café.

 

 

HER POV:

           

            I recognized the place. It’s the café that most of them frequented during their college days. They shoved some random textbooks in my hand and a bag on the other. So what am I now, a college girl? Is this a roleplay? Please don’t let there be any of those stupid surprises I never got used to welcome me when I get inside that place.

 

            “Go ahead. Take your time. Order something, eat, whatever. We’ll be waiting here.”

 

            Ok now I am really confused. I can’t really decode their facial expressions although I am very much certain that they could read mine.

 

            “But, I don’t drink coffee, unnies.”

           

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter