CHAPTER 39 WILL YOU …….?

Redefining Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

HER POV:

 

            Something’s strange. I don’t know what but I just feel like everybody’s plotting something behind my back. It’s the same feeling when they first locked me and Yong oppa in the janitor’s closet way back junior year in high school, them pretending they knew nothing about that date/meeting in Verona, the variety show guestings (particularly that Strong Heart episode), the meet cute, the date, and everything else that has to do with Yongseo Couple. If that wasn’t enough, most of them kept avoiding me. Whenever I’d successfully corner one or two of them to ask what was going on, they’d act all nervous and scared.

            I’m currently at SM Entertainment. I’ll be producing one of the songs (not the title track; just something for their debut mini) for their upcoming girl group. I was walking down the hallways when I spotted Krystal not far from where I stood. As soon as she saw me, she started running. Obviously, I started chasing her.

            “Gotcha! You’re not running away from me too, Krystal. Spill.” I said as I was able to take a hold of the youngest Jung.

“Oh, unnie! Annyeonghasaeyo! You look really pretty today!” she’s avoiding eye contact. Ah jinja! What have I done wrong for them to act this way towards me?!

            I gave her this look which said, “I’m not buying it.”

            “What are you guys up to? I know you’re planning something. Tell me, please. This curiosity of mine is killing me!” I begged her and tried to use up my “aegyo.” Of course it didn’t work. This is Jung Soojung. The Aegyo Princess of the gang, right next to the Queen herself, Lee Soonkyu. My “cuteness” has no effect on her whatsoever. I sighed and changed my question.

            “How’s Yong oppa?”

            “He’s getting by…why don’t you ask him yourself, unnie? He’s your boyfriend.” Krystal replied as her gaze was focused anywhere else but me.

            “But he’s your brother!” I desperately said.

            “and…..I’m his very busy sister. I gotta go unnie! Love you!” she ran away as soon as I loosened my grip on her. It was useless trying to catch up with her. I’ll only tire myself out. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket and I knew I received a message. It’s from Yong oppa.

            *Seoul International Performing Arts & Science High, MUSIC Room. Tomorrow, 4pm.*

That was it. This was his first text to me in days and that’s it. No emoticons, no I love yous. I could feel panic and fear build within me. Why? It can’t be. He’s not going to break up with me, isn’t he? He said he loves me…I tried to be rid of the doubts and fears as I drove myself back home. This is going to be the longest 24 hours of my life.

HIS POV:

 

            I’ve been holding on to my phone for the past 3 hours, not willing myself to look at the screen or to press that SEND button.

            “YAH! HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN AND YOU STILL HAVEN’T SENT THAT TEXT?!!!!!!!” I could hear my eldest sister’s voice screech in my ears.

            “Calm down, Jung Sooyeon. Yonghwa hyung’s just stressed.” Thank you, Jungshin.

            “Stressed? You know what stress is? The fact that we’ve been cooped up in this dorm of yours and can’t even go out because this choding over here refuses to let us go until after he sent that text! Aish!”

            “It’s not that easy, Sooyeon-ah!!! Once I send her this text, then that’s it…waaah! Can I do this? What if..what if she doesn’t show up? I don’t think I can handle the stress anymore!”

            Everybody in the room groaned in frustration. Can they not at least sympathize with me? This tension and nervousness has been building up fast since the day I talked to Joohyun’s umma and appa.

            “Oh for crying out loud, Jung Yonghwa! What are you so scared of? The girl’s definitely going to show up. She even thinks you’re going to break up with her!” (Taeyeon)

            “Our poor maknae…” (Yuri)

            “Break up? Who? Me? Us? NEVER!” Why would she even consider that?!


            “Hyung, can you blame Seohyun for thinking that way? You haven’t seen each other in a while and you keep trying to avoid her!” (Jonghyun)

            At this point, Soojung entered the dorm looking exhausted and annoyed. Minhyuk immediately went to her side to hand her a glass of cold water and wipe her sweat with a towel.

            “Oppa, you have to put an end to this. Seohyun unnie caught me awhile ago and you don’t know how hard it was for me to escape and still keep my mouth shut about this proposal of yours. Unnie looks so desperate!”

            Everyone took turns scolding me. I was busy trying to tell them to give me at least another hour or so to find the courage to send that text when Joon hyung smiled and proudly announced,

            “DONE! MESSAGE SENT! It’s freedom for all us! wooh!”

            “HYUNG! HOW COULD YOU?!”

            “Because you wouldn’t! How long do you plan on keeping us here? I just gave you a helping hand. Don’t worry, Yong. Tomorrow, you’ll be an engaged man. hahaha!”

            They didn’t waste any time going out the door. I guess this is it..tomorrow is the day I’m going to ask her to be my wife.

 

 

Seoul International Performing Arts & Science High
MUSIC ROOM

 

Time check: 2:45pm

 

“I don’t understand why we have to be here this early. You basically rushed us to finish our lunch just so we can set up this place. We told you we could finish this in less than an hour! Don’t get mad if any of us start to suffer the ill effects of indigestion midway through your “will you marry me?” speech.” Sooyoung complained and the rest of them joined in.

            I knew that they could finish the preparations in the amount of time they said. I knew it was wrong of me to ask them to hurry up eating their meal, but just for today, I wanted to be selfish. I needed their presence, otherwise, I’m afraid I won’t be able to make it through the day without having a nervous breakdown. How many times have I wished for this day to come? How many scenarios have I come up with in my mind, even back in high school? This day still feels like a dream. I feel like I’m floating.
 

            “JUNG YONGHWA!!! STOP BITING YOUR FINGERNAILS! IT LOOKS SO DISGUSTING!! EWWW!” I heard my sister scold me. I didn’t care. I went up and about, pacing back and forth in the room and just doing my best to calm down the tension.

            I could hear them whispering.

                “Tsk3. At this rate, he’s going to lose his mind from all that anxiety.” (Jonghyun)

            “Should we ask Seohyun to arrive earlier?” (Yuri)

            “No. She doesn’t even know we’re all here. It’ll spoil the surprise.” (Sunny)

            “But Yong looks like he’s going to faint anytime soon!” (Tiffany)

            “I don’t get why he’s nervous. We all know she’s going to say yes anyway.” (Hyoyeon)

            “But what if Seohyun says no? Just for laughs or a test. That would be so hilarious!” (Joon)

            “Why would she say no? I doubt it.” (Minhyuk)

            “This is Seo Joohyun. When has she ever been that predictable? There’s always a last minute twist.” (Taeyeon)

            “Aish. I just want this to be over!” (Jungshin)

 

            I didn’t listen in to the rest of their conversation because it’s making me even more anxious. Breathe in, breathe out, Jung Yonghwa. You can do this. You can get through this day without making a fool of yourself.

 

 

Time check: 3:50pm

 

            “10 minutes! 10 minutes left, people! YAH! WAKE UP! Why are you all sleeping?!!! YAH!!!”

 

            I shouted in panic. They just yawned and looked bored as they got back in their respective places. How can they be so calm about this?!

 

 

Time check: 4:15pm

           

            It’s 15 minutes past 4. Why is she late? What if she doesn’t show up?

 

            “Traffic. Road’s being repaired so she probably took the longer route.” They explained to me. I felt a rush of relief but it didn’t last long as my youngest sister kept screaming that Joohyun has arrived.

 

            Ok this is it. Show time.

 

 

 

HER POV:

 

 

I don’t really know what to think of today. Why is he asking to meet up with me in that music room? As far as our history is concerned, nothing good ever came out of those supposed meetings in that place. Would today be any different? I took a small box out of my purse and slid it in the secret pocket on my dress. Whatever happens, I’ll make sure today would end with only a smile on our faces. No more tears. No more misunderstandings. Enough of the separation.

 

            I got out of my car and made my way towards the building. As soon as I stepped in, the entire building was converted to give off a museum feel, except, instead of paintings, sculptures, and other pieces of art, it was OUR mementos that were displayed.

 

            I could see our former sunbaes, hoobaes, as well as our classmates, both in high school and college play the part of the crowd. Khun and Seunggi oppa led the crowd as they explained or gave a back story to each and every item on display. I couldn’t hide the smile on my face. I imagine Fany and Yoona unnie lecturing their namja chingus about their roles and the significance of each picture and thing we have here.

 

            There were oil paintings, tarpaulin sized photos, standees, tickets from our movie dates, a 3D slideshow of our pictures, some things we have as remembrance way back our high school days (no wonder Sunny and Yuri unnie kept visiting me at home; they must’ve smuggled some of these things for this event), the souvenirs from the 11 day courtship, and so much more. I mentally scolded myself for even thinking that Yong oppa would break up with me.

 

            We’ve toured most of the rooms and places in this building. I was enjoying everything until everyone else decided it was time to squeeze in and block my path. Again? How many times did I tell Yong oppa that I am not a fan of the classic “push-pull-shove” tactic he always uses? I couldn’t see anything as I was being pushed forward someplace unknown. After the chaos, everything turned black. I could sense the crowd dissipating and there’s this feeling that I am left standing alone in the middle of who knows where.

 

            Just then, there’s a flicker of light towards my right side. One faint pink glow was followed by the next until the entire area on that side was glowing with pink lights. A similar thing happened, this time, on the opposite side. A faint blue light was followed by the next until that area was illuminated like an ocean. The lights started to flicker again and I read the words they started to form:

 

            HELLO, HYU~N.

            I BET U MISSED ME.

            DNT WORRY. I MISSED U MORE.

            HOW DO U LIKE YONGSEO’S GALLERY SO FAR?

            ILY.

            JYH <3 SJH

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter