CHAPTER 10 HISTORY REPEATS ITSELF?

Redefining Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

HIS POV:

          CNBLUE has successfully debuted in the music scene. We were the first rookie to sweep the charts just 3 days upon the release of our debut single, One Time. Our schedules were packed with interviews, variety shows, radio shows, photoshoots, and a world tour.

          Despite all that, my friendship with Joohyun has been going on well. She was set to debut a few days from now. The trailer for her upcoming film (which she also wrote, directed, and produced) has gone viral.

          We communicated on a daily basis. I’m slowly earning her trust back.

HER POV:

          My debut film premiered at the top of the Korean box office. I have received countless offers to appear on shows amongst other things, but the GC declined on my behalf. Their “promotion strategy” when it comes to handling my career is the complete opposite of the rest of the gang. Whereas they were heavily promoted on every show or opportunity possible, I was limited to several interviews only. Don’t get me wrong. I suggested the whole thing. I wanted to maintain my privacy and low profile. I haven’t even made my first public appearance since the movie’s premiere.

          *You have a message!*

          I grabbed and my phone and checked the message.

          *Here’s a little something for Korea’s newest ‘it girl!’ Congratulations Hy~uunnn!!! Your movie is daebak! You should’ve at least asked CNBLUE to participate in the soundtrack! Aish. See you soon.*

          He attached a picture of himself trying to act cute and sulky at the same time.

“24 years old and still a choding.”

          “Who are you calling a choding?!”  I turned around to see Yong oppa leaning on the door post.

          “The guy in this picture. You wouldn’t know who he is right? But if you do, please do tell him that I think he looks like a duck! Mehrong!”

          He chased me around the room until we got tired.

          “I knew it. You idolize me! Stop being the one who embodies the whole “aura of mystery.” You’re stealing my title!”

          “I never knew you were so proud of that! Wait till I tell your band mates about this. I’m sure they’d be happy to share that long awaited pre-debut story. Haha!”

          “Yah! Don’t you dare! Hmp! So, are you ready Hyun? What’s with all the hiding from the press?”

          “I’m not hiding oppa. I’m just not ready to face the world yet.”

          “Are you still scared about being bullied by those brats? Just so you know, you’re the nation’s sweetheart now and their careers are basically over with the bullying scandal last year.”

          Truth be told, they haven’t crossed my mind. If you’re wondering what happened to them, they didn’t even last long in the GA. Our batch mate Lee Hongki won the title, and the other seniors placed well in the Top10. However, they did shoot to stardom after debuting as a girl group (you know where they got the idea from) called T-ARA. They had a couple of hit songs here and there, dramas, and some movies. Last year was a different story. The newly added member was reported to be “bullied” and consequently announced her departure from the group. Their agency, Core Contents Media, proved that they had the worse PR team ever with the way they dealt with the controversy. They’re still active in the industry, despite the continuous backlash. At least they have a dedicated fanbase. Do I feel vindicated or whatsoever? No. I stopped caring about them long ago. I met Eunjung and Soyeon during my movie’s premiere and they apologized already. No use holding grudges. Let bygones be bygones.

 I didn’t know why I was still apprehensive about facing the media. Maybe, there’s just a part of me that wants to hold on dear to this normal life.

“Hey! Are you still in there? Yo!”

“Sorry. I was just thinking.”

“I figured. You spaced out for 5 minutes. So, what were you thinking of? Me? haha!”

“Get over yourself oppa! I’m just thinking of how things will be different once I’m officially introduced to the public. I know I made my first appearance during the premiere but I didn’t even say a thing. That black and white party the GC is preparing for us is going to be the start. Oh and did I mention that I met Eunjung and Soyeon last time? They apologized and I accepted.”

“What about Jiyeon? It was her parents that started it!”

“It doesn’t matter oppa. Past is past, right?”

“I guess you’re right. So, did you watch my interview yet? Am I cool enough? I think I’m doing great at maintaining the “cold city guy” façade. Hahaha!”

“I saw it. You look, uh, normal? What? You have a lot of fangirls to compliment you already. Besides, you’re not exactly my type! Beh!”

“Normal?! Psh. Have you thought about what I asked you?”

Straight to the point. That thing he told me pretty much ate up whatever sleeping time I have left.

 

FLASHBACK (BEFORE CNBLUE’S DEBUT)

“Hyu~n…I,uh, I was thinking..”

“Stop stuttering oppa..have you done something wrong again? What did you do?”

“Yah! I didn’t do anything wrong! How can you even say that?”

“You only stutter when you did or plan on doing something wrong. Like, the last time…in high school? When you burned my report?!”

“Are you still not over that? Geez, Hyun. That was years ago!”

“But I worked hard on that! It took me 3 weeks to do that paper and just because I didn’t cheer you on your basketball game, you got all grumpy and burned it! FYI, I didn’t have the chance to yell,GOOOO OPPPAAA! because of my sore throat!”

“Why are you so pressed about it? I apologized already, a millionth time! Besides, you got an A with the paper you ended up submitting anyway.”

“When I could’ve gotten an A+!”

“Oh stop acting as if one stupid paper could’ve jeopardized your valedictory candidacy! Your perfect 4.5 average was mileeesss away from the rest of us.”

“Fine! Hmp. Anyway, you’re missing the point. What is it that you’re going to ask me anyway?!”

“Can we date?”

I nearly spilled my coffee. How can he ask that as if he was just asking about the weather?!

“W..wha…what?”

Great. Now I’m the one stuttering.

“I asked you, can we date? You know, like go see the movies, eat dinner, blah blah.”

          He was acting so cool about this. We just recently became friends again and now he wants us to give dating a try? I wanted to yell at him for being so rash but instead, the thing that came out from my mouth was,

          “But what about your fans? Aren’t you debuting soon?”

          “I’m not marketed as a kpop idol, Joohyun-ah. I’m going to debut as part of a charismatic, awesome, band, CNBLUE! Haha! I made it pretty clear with the GC that I don’t want to be promoted to be a fan’s imaginary boyfriend. I want them to focus on our music. It’s not going to be a problem.”

          “I’ll think about it.”

BACK TO THE PRESENT

          “So…? Have you thought about it?”

          “Uhmm, yeah..”

          “And..?”

          “I decided I need more time to think about it again.”

          “Yah!”

          “Hey! If you don’t want, I can just say no right now.”

          “Alright. Take your time then.”

          “Thanks.”

 

 

          The preparation for the black and white party was in full force. It’s going to be a lavish event. It is also the day I’m going to be officially introduced to the public as the one who won the Grand Auditions. After that, there’s no turning back.

          I live independently. This penthouse was one of the prizes I got from the GA. The luxury village it’s located in is highly secured. The only people residing in the area are those who work (or have worked) with SJYNC Ent as well as previous winners of the GA. The building where my penthouse suite (mine is at the topmost floor and is also the most expensive, and spacious unit) is located is also where my unnies and fellow GA alums are.

          After I’ve been refreshed, I lied on my bed and just let my thoughts wander. I closed my eyes and smiled. I took my phone and keyed in a simple message.

          Seoul International Performing Arts & Science High, MUSIC Room. Tomorrow, 4pm. I’ll give you my answer.

          *SEND!*

          I drifted off to sleep with a smile on my face.

HIS POV:

          I was exhausted from all the music show recordings. We came home late. I cleaned myself up and plopped to the bed. I remembered my phone. I scrolled down to see the messages – schedules, schedules, sasaengs (they are getting on my nerves!), more schedule, and..what is this? a text from Hyun?

*Seoul International Performing Arts & Science High, MUSIC Room. Tomorrow, 4pm. I’ll give you my answer.*

I blinked several times to make sure I’m not dreaming. Is this for real? YES! But what if she says no?! argh! Enough with the negativity, Jung Yonghwa…relax…you can do it!

I searched through my closet and prepared the things I needed for tomorrow.

“Hyung’s got a date! Hahaha!” I turned around and wasn’t surprised to see CNBLUE’s maknae, Jungshin.

“I’m just fixing up my clothes jashik!”

“Uh huh…but what’s with the scrapbook, hyung? Are you finally going to confess?” (Minhyuk)

“Who’s confessing? Wah, hyung! Finally! took you long enough!” (Jonghyun)

These 3 punks! They’re no different from my 2 sisters. Good thing those two aren’t here.

“I’m just arranging my clothes!!! GET OUT!”

The 3 of them laughed at my lame excuse as I shut the door and locked it. Tomorrow is the big day! Now, which one should I use..?

“Oh and hyung? Wear the blue one. It brings out your “Aura of Mystery.”” (Jonghyun)

What?! I thought I locked the door. What is this? Why is there a stuffed animal here? Aish! That Lee Jungshin! No wonder the lock didn’t make that click sound. I must’ve been too preoccupied with my thoughts…sigh.. Seo Joohyun. what are you doing to me?

 

HER POV:

          Today is the day. Should I be late? No. I’m never late. But guys are supposed to wait for the girls right? I checked my watch. It’s 3:45pm. 15 minutes left…why am I so nervous?! I tried to distract myself by watching another episode of Running Man. I got so hooked up that I barely notice the time. It’s 4:35pm! Oh no! I’m late!

          I rushed to get off my car and went inside the building. Thankfully, no one noticed me. My former teachers ushered me safely inside the music room and I thanked them.

          5:00pm…he’s an hour late…maybe it’s just traffic? Should I call? 5:40pm… I think I should make a call.

          “Hello? Hi oppa, does CNBLUE have any schedule this afternoon?”

          “They had a 1pm radio show but they finished recording already. Are you meeting up with Yonghwa? He was the one who asked his 4pm schedule to be free.”

          “Is that so? Thanks oppa. Give my regards to the rest.”

          I hung up the phone after talking with CNBLUE’s manager, Shindong oppa. I decided to wait more. Maybe he stopped by something and got delayed, or maybe his fans caught him? Should I call? I tried to dial his number but my calls were rejected each time. I tried once more but not only was my call rejected, he turned off his phone. I checked my watch. 7:30pm. I laughed as I felt my tears fall. So history does repeat itself. For the second time, he didn’t show up.

The following day

HER POV:

          I arrived early at SJYNC Ent and requested for a meeting. The GC, some lawyers, and I were inside the conference room.

          “I’d like to add some things to my contract, if you don’t mind, sunbaenim.”

          “Sure. What’s that?”

          I handed her the paper wherein I had my additional terms and conditions were printed. Boa sunbaenim looked surprised. Well, I can’t blame her.

          “Are you sure about this Seohyun?”

          “Yes. I am very sure."

          “I thought you had some issues with the income distribution and you’re going to demand for more stylists or so. But, this? why?”

          “I never had issues with the salary, sunbaenim, and why would I demand more stylists? You know Kwanghee is enough. I still can’t forgive you for assigning me to him! Do you know how much he nags me about my skin and such?”

          Everyone in the room laughed.

          “But Kwanghee is the best! You’ll get used to him. He can be a sweetheart once in a while. Back to the topic. Are you really sure about this? You’re not an idol, Seohyun. The agency doesn’t care about these things because it’s your personal lives. Why is there a need to add it in your contract and announce this at the party?”

          “I know. I’m thankful that the company respects its artists’ wishes, so I hope that this time, you’d consider mine. Please, it is my last request. That’s the only thing I want to add before I sign my contract.”

          Boa sunbae looked at me intently and motioned to the rest of the GC and legal counsel. After some discussions, she turned back to me and said,

          “Alright. We will honor your wishes. Just a reminder. This additional clause is legally binding and the consequences you personally wrote apply immediately once it is violated. For the last time, I am asking you, are you sure you want this?”

          I gave her my most determined look as I said, “YES.”

 

The Black & White Party

THIRD PERSON POV:

          It was the most awaited party of the year. The GC made sure that the preparations w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter