CHAPTER 15 THE CONSEQUENCES OF THE IMAGE SHIFT

Redefining Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

HER POV:

          SJYNC Entertainment was celebrating its 18th anniversary. As a treat to fans, they were asked to vote for the special subunit they’d want to see perform. They could choose to collaborate anyone from the company. That’s how TaeTiSeo was formed.

          Our special album was met with positive reviews. It was basically CNBLUE vs. TTS on the charts and music shows. Both groups reached the end of the promotion cycle when the GC called us in for a meeting.

          “First of all, congratulations on your albums’ success! Both teams did a wonderful job! Your sales are really incredible. But that’s not what we are here for. You do know that the public is gaining more interest on your sudden change of image, right?

            The fans are happy to see you smile and dance onstage, Seohyun-ah. They never imagined that a dramatic actress and director as you could pull off the “idol thing.” Same goes for Yonghwa. People are still guessing who the Lady is.”

          Ok….so why is Boa sunbaenim looking at me like that?!

          “Anyway, we wanted to capitalize on this event and in order to maintain the momentum, we have decided to release Summerain & Winterfalls as part of the company’s anniversary offering! The movies will be shown back-to-back, pretty much like what you did for us. The audience won’t know about the second film until the first one ended.”

            Am I hearing this right? They are releasing those movies in public?!!! WHAT?!

          “WHAT?!” Yonghwa oppa and I stood up and didn’t bother hiding our shock.

          “Sunbaenim! Why are you releasing that all of a sudden?! Aren’t those included in our private evaluation files?!! Besides, the movie was filmed almost 3 years ago! It’s outdated!”

          Boa sunbaenim didn’t seem bothered by my outburst.

          “The only files included in the private folder are those of the Grand Auditions. Your movies were filmed and completed AFTER the competition. The post-GA training contract you signed indicates that the agency is free to release AT ANY GIVEN TIME necessary, WHATEVER PROJECT you had during the post-GA training, if it will contribute positively to your respective careers.

            Now is the perfect time to do that! CNBLUE’s breaking out of its “broken hearted flower boy band” tag with their Blue Love EP, while you, my dear Seohyunnie, need a new project.”

            I totally forgot about that clause! I still have a copy of that contract somewhere. I should review it as soon as I get home. However, I don’t think anything will change at all. WAAH! Why did I miss that thing?! How can I miss it?! How?!!

          “I’ll just pick a different one! Don’t I have some offers for movies or dramas? If I can’t find one, then I’ll just write it myself. Just not those movies sunbaenim! Please!”

          How am I back to begging again? This is just like that time wherein I begged not to be involved in that romcom movie.

          “We need to keep this momentum, Seohyun-ah. Knowing you, it’ll take months before you decide on a new project. All those movie and drama love calls you received offers nothing new. It won’t help you break out of your usual dramatic roles. I don’t want you to be typecasted. Why waste time and effort when we have your former movies on hand? 3 years isn’t that long ago.”

            This can’t be happening to me again! Beg! Aegyo! Cry! Anything! Do anything to prevent those movies from being publicized!

          “But…is it necessary for me to do this? Can’t I be excluded? Can’t you let the other members of CNBLUE do something to keep that momentum?”

            “The other members ARE doing the image shift already. Minhyuk is starring in a trendy teen drama called Heirs. Jungshin is in a historical drama, while Jonghyun is set to release a special single with Juniel.

            It is necessary for you to be a part of this. Your bright, cheerful image in TTS received a great response. It’s time for you to break out from your usual serious roles. These movies will do it for you. Besides, don’t you think it’s cute how the public will see the two of you starring in it when you’ve never really interacted or neither mentioned each other since your debuts?”

          Cute?!  CUTE?!! They will get the shock of their lives seeing me and CNBLUE’s emotional leader going all goo goo eyes with one another! What’s worse, this was filmed PRIOR to our debuts! It won’t take long before they unearth our high school history. Having Top10, Krystal, and my unnies as the reminder of the whole “Yongseo!” thing is more than enough, and now I have to deal with the entire nation saying that? Nooo! I’m not ready for this…waaah!

          I was about to air my protests but Boa sunbae waved her hand and spoke up first.

          “Oh and before I forget here’s a copy of your latest schedule. You are going to have a full blast promotion for this movie. Bus ads, billboards, posters, and more. You are also set to appear on variety shows. We only picked 3 variety shows for you – Running Man, Strong Heart 2 and Hello Baby. The EXO kids are starring in this season’s Hello Baby, so you will have a one-time special episode for that.”

            I am utterly speechless.

          “Well then, that’s all for today’s meeting. By the way, the posters for the movie have been released on the internet. The teaser trailer will follow soon, and then the official full trailer. You will finish filming your variety schedules prior to the premiere night. Good luck guys! Yongseo fighting!”

            Since when did my mentor get into the whole ‘Yongseo’ spirit? Waaah. This IS real.  I mentally face palmed myself. Welcome to the world of Korean variety, Seo Joohyun.

 

THIRD PERSON POV:

Today’s trending articles:

*CNBLUE’s Yonghwa & Award-Winning Actress Seohyun, To Star in a Romance Movie?*

 [+10,432, -20] Huh? This seems random and sudden. Aren’t they pushing the image shift of both celebrities too far? Anyway, I think they look cute together. [+9,210, -14] Eyy…this can’t be true. The pairing seems random. They have also concluded album promotions. What is SJYNC thinking? Don’t make up useless articles just because they belong in the same agency. Although I do agree that they look good together. [+8,209, -14] The pairing is really random. I know they belong in the same agency and even placed 1st and 2nd during GA 2014, but never once did I see them interact onscreen. How will they pull this off? [+6,542, -12] Romance movie? The two of them?! Heol…this is surprising. CNBLUE & Seohyun are really breaking out of their images. [+5,305, -0] This isn’t surprising at all for us who knew them in high school. Everyone in our school was a member of Team Yongseo. What’s more surprising is the fact that they are still NOT dating! Tsk3.

*SJYNC Entertainment Confirms Movie + Additional Details Revealed*

            This is the official announcement from their agency:

          “Hello, this is SJYNC Entertainment. We are pleased to announce that we are releasing a romantic comedy movie as part of our anniversary offering. This movie has long been completed prior to their debuts. It was filmed almost 3 years ago, during the post-GA training of Seohyun and Jung Yonghwa. The pair is not only starring in the film but they also wrote, produced, and directed it. The soundtrack will be released the same day as the film.

            Jung Yonghwa and Seohyun will also appear on variety shows to promote the movie. They are currently filming for Running Man, Hello Baby, and Strong Heart 2.

            The movie portrays a sweet, love story, and will showcase a side you’ve never seen before. The teaser trailer will be released along with this announcement while the full trailer will follow 48 hours later. We hope you would continue to give your love and support!

            Thank you!

[+25,230, -400] M….E…..N….T….A….L….B….R…E…A…K…D…O…W…N… [+23,987, -320] Daebak. Daebak! Daebak! Their agency really dropped an unexpected bomb! That 30 second teaser was enough to make me want to watch the film. [+22,448, -300] Yes! Yongseo is alive once more!!! Has it been that long since we were just cheering “Yongseo is real!” in the hallways of SIPASH? My fellow SIPASH friends, let us unite to support this movie! This is every shipper’s dream come true! Hahaha! [+20,672, -231] Their chemistry is…wow. Daebak. And that’s just from a 30 second teaser?! I can’t wait for the movie’s premiere! [+17,893, -210] What is even more im
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter