CHAPTER 25 THE MEET CUTE PART 2

Redefining Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 25 THE MEET CUTE PART 2

 

HER POV:

 

“Where are we headed to next?”

 

            “A place where we’d have a lot of fun.” (Yoona)

 

            “To a place where we could play tag!” (Krystal)

 

            “Tag?!”

 

            “Yeah, you know..where there’s one ‘it’ and that person has to chase others to out them? That game we used to play during free time back in high school.” (Yuri)

 

            “Is that why you’re all so dressed casually? What about me?!”

 

            “It’s ok. You’re dressed fine and besides, you’re wearing flats. No biggie.” (Tiffany)

 

            “Don’t worry. This time, we’re coming with you.” (Jessica)

 

            “Speaking of tag, we’re here! Let’s go girls!” (Tiffany)

 

            We got outside and saw that the guys were already there. They just waved to acknowledge our presence and went back into their ‘strategizing mode.’ All of them are there except for Yonghwa oppa. Where is he?

 

            “Now, whatever you do, do not let any of the guys catch you! Our pride and money are at stake here!” Sooyoung unnie’s reminder caught my attention once more.

 

            “Money?”

 

            “Yeah. The losing team gets to grant whatever the winning team asks for. Those pabos want us to pay for their European trip, complete with hotel expenses. Aish.” (Hyoyeon)

 

            “What about us? What did you say you wanted?”

 

            “Same thing.” (Yuri)

 

            They continued talking about strategies when a loud buzzer indicated that the game was about to start. Some of the guys came running towards us and everyone was in panic. Sunny, and Hyoyeon unnies took me by the hand and I just followed wherever they ran. We kept running for who knows how long until I realized we were probably in the middle of tall bushes. We were still catching our breaths when we heard Joon and Jonghyun oppa call out to us.

 

            “We will distract them, maknae. Run! Go! There has to be at least one survivor in our team. We will try to tag them first before they get to us! run away now! palli!”

 

            My adrenaline level was kicking into full gear. I kept running until I realized I am in a freaking maze garden. A maze garden! Just when I thought I’ve had enough of these things…

 

            “SEOHYUN-AH! WHERE ARE YOU? IT’S USELESS TO RUN. YOU’RE GOING TO GET CAUGHT ANYWAY!”

 

            “SURRENDER NOW, SEOHYUN-AH! WE’RE COMING TO GET YOU!”

 

            I heard Minhyuk and Jungshin’s voice loud and clear. I ran as fast as I could, from one maze to the next until I could no longer hear anything else. I made the mistake of looking back just to be certain that I lost them only to crash into another person who ran from the opposite side of the maze.

 

            “Ouch! Argh! Ugh. I am so sorry. Sorry. Are you ok? Here let me help you.” 

 

            I recognized his voice instantly, as well as that sentence he just said. It was the exact thing I said when I bumped into him in Verona. I stood up and for a second we just stared at each other. Do I run away? Aren’t I supposed to tag him out? What should I do? Omo, do I look fine? Is my hair in a mess? I looked back to him and only then did I realize he was also wearing the same clothes he did back in Verona. I’m having a déjà vu moment here as I contemplated on what I should do next. His eyes mirrored my confusion over this situation. To add up to the DJM (déjà vu moment), some snow flakes started to fall. Snow? In the middle of June? The only thing missing right now is the sunset.

 

            “YONGHWA OPPA EODISEO?!! OPPA I KNOW YOU’RE OUT THERE! OPPA!!!” I heard Krystal calling out from the background at the same as Minhyuk was yelling,

 

            “SEOHYUN-AH WHERE ARE YOU?! I KNOW YOU’RE OUT THERE! SEOHYUN!!!!”

 

            He offered his hand and said,

 

            “Run away with me.”

 

            I didn’t think twice as I took his hand in mine and ran. We reached the parking lot and was surprised to see that none of our friends made it back here just yet. Maybe they’re still busy chasing each other in that maze garden?

 

            “I’m sorry I’m late.”

 

            “Huh?”

 

            “I intend to meet up with you after the dating ban, but CNBLUE had a world tour.”

 

            Right. He’s talking about that first time we met 6 months after the dating ban has been lifted.

 

            “It’s ok. What matters is you’re right here, right now…with me..”

 

            I looked away just as soon as I could feel myself blush. I’m still not used to expressing my feelings as boldly as he can, but I’m trying. I’m doing my best.

 

            “Aigoo..you’re so cute.”

 

            He pinched my cheeks. Before I could say anything more, that crowd came in again and separated us. But he hasn’t even said the “nice to meet you” line! I was sulking as I was led back to the van along with the rest of the girls. All of us have finished changing our clothes when I asked them who won the game.

 

            “No one. We only said that so you’d participate in it. Hahaha!” (Hyoyeon)

           

            WHAT?!  They made me run around that maze garden for that?! YAH! To think I took the game so seriously because I thought I was going to save us from shelling out some cash for the guys’ trip! I could feel my jaw dropping from the ground and my eyes popping out of its socket as I tried to say something only to be interrupted by my unnies.

 

            “Ey. Don’t complain, sweetheart. We’re also tired from running around that stupid maze. Hahaha!” (Yoona)

 

            “Brace yourself, sweetheart. That’s only the first of your déjà vu moment.” (Sunny)

 

            I didn’t get the time to comprehend what Sunny unnie said when “the crowd” (can’t think of a better name to call them) rushed towards us as we stepped outside the van. I was blindfolded. I think all of us were.

 

            “As soon as you hear that doorbell sound, you can take off your blindfold. Until then, just play along.”

 

            I recognized Heenim’s voice despite his obvious attempt of faking it. I smiled and nodded to convey my agreement. Sure enough, that doorbell sound rang and I took it as my cue to remove the blindfold. My eyes adjusted to the light. Everyone was staring at each other. It didn’t take me long to figure out that were role playing that scene wherein the Top10 (Krystal, Jessica, Sunny, Yoona, and Yuri unnie aren’t here now) met for the first time. Everything looked exactly the same as it did back then – the setup, our clothes, including that part wherein Yonghwa oppa was the last person ushered inside the room.

 

            I was reeling from the DJM of it all when JYP sunbaenim said,

           

            “Earth to Top10! Hello?! Hey guys! Why are you all so tense?! Hello?!” 

 

            That was everyone else’s cue to reenact the dramatic “reunion” we had back then. I wanted to laugh at how surreal this moment is when JYP sunbaenim spoke up once more.

 

            "You guys know each other? Ah right. How could I forget? You graduated from the same high school. aish. My Dream High kids don’t stand a chance against you guys from SIPASHS! Anyway, enjoy your “reunion” and I’ll be back in an hour or two. By the way, congratulations! You did well!”

 

            Just like the first time, all of them came to me and said their congratulations. I can’t believe we were actually having the same conversation as we did back then, including that moment when I kept on secretly looking at Yonghwa oppa up until the time he tripped and the two of us fell down. In short, everything that happened during that first meeting after the 6 year separation. I didn’t get the chance to remark on how odd, weird, and cute this situation was when JYP sunbaenim came back.

 

            “Hey guys! We better get going! You still have to attend your first meeting with the Grand Council! C’mon! hurry up!”

 

            He said exactly the same thing as he did almost 3 years ago, and as expected, “the crowd” came and did what they do best – bring me back to the van.

 

            “That was weird. It felt like stepping into a time machine all throughout that scene.” (Taeyeon)

 

            “I know right? Even JYP sunbae remembered the things he told us back then.” (Hyoyeon)

 

            “I can’t believe Yongseo fell down exactly as they did during that time! Haha! Kyeopta!” (Tiffany)

 

            “Ok you can discuss whatever déjà vu feelings you had later on. Time to get dressed. We’re headed to the final place for the day and then viola! It’s dinner time!” Yuri unnie said as Yoona unnie and Krystal handed us some uniforms. Wait, is this our high school uniform?! I didn’t ask them the obvious as we were all busy changing up. They even got a replica of my red glasses back then.

 

            “Omo. It feels like freshman year all over again!” (Yoona)

 

            “We look almost exactly as we did back then.” (Hyoyeon)

 

            “Omg how could I have let my 15 year old self think this hairstyle was cool? Ewww!” (Tiffany)

 

            “I can’t believe you asked me to act as your classmate, unnies. I suddenly feel so old!” (Krystal)

           

            “Yah! Who are you calling old, baby jung?!” (Jessica)

 

            “She’s not a baby anymore, Sica. She’s old enough to get herself a boyfriend, remember? Haha!” (Sooyoung)

 

            “Waaah! I still can’t believe you and Mr. Eye Smile are a couple now!” (Jessica)

 

            “You’ll get over it when you finally decide to move on. It’s been months since you and your not-so-secret boyfriend broke up.” (Yuri)

 

            “Ok girls, let’s deal with the Jung Sisters’ love lives later on. Time to go out.” (Taeyeon)

 

            “She’s just saying that because she doesn’t want her blossoming romance with Jong to be discussed. Haha!”  Sunny unnie whispered (but loud enough for the rest of us to hear).

 

            “Yah! I heard that!” Taeyeon unnie said but before anything or anyone else could reply, “the crowd” ambushed us again and blindfolded us. I felt dizzy from all the pushing, walking, turning left, right, straight, whatever. As soon as my blindfold was taken off, I found myself standing in the same spot I stood when I first got here.

 

 I felt my head spin with the scenario that unfolded before my eyes. I recognized some of our sunbaes, former school mates, and classmates in their respective uniforms. I was expecting them to laugh and comment on how silly this is but I think they are exercising those acting skills too much. It really felt as if the clock was reversed.

 

I looked at what I was holding and realized it was that map. I checked my watch (surprise! it’s the exact model I had back then too) and saw that I only had 5 minutes till the “Freshman orientation” begins. Am I supposed to run like I did back then? I didn’t have to think twice as I saw that exact same signboard (those déjà vu feels are attacking me again). Just like before, there was that stampede to race to get there on time. I really didn’t want to run but it’s either I get trampled here or I join the rest of the ‘students’ in this crazy marathon.

 

I kept running straight ahead and I forgot about the adjoining hallways. As a result, I crashed into the same person that came from that direction. The difference this time was he was able to catch me and I landed right on top of him. This is awkward.

 

“Argh! Ouch! Oh my. I am so sorry. I really am sorry. Uh, can I continue apologizing later sunbaenim? I’m a first year student and I really have to go now. I’m sorry!” 

           

            Yonghwa oppa imitated my 13 year old self. That was the same thing I told him when we first met. He remembered that? I got up and smacked his shoulder playfully for making fun of me.

 

            “I thought I could minimize the impact of our ‘collision’ this time, but I guess the force of our connection & attraction is just too strong. I think you broke my ribs!”

 

            “Then you should’ve chosen a different path if you wanted to avoid this.” I .

 

            “Who said I wanted to avoid this? I just wanted to minimize the impact because I didn’t want to hurt you. It’s a good thing I was able to catch you on time before you fell on the floor like you did way back.”

           

He smiled at me, messed up my hair a little bit, and slung his arm across my shoulder.

 

            “Come on. You wouldn’t want to miss our “orientation,” right?”

 

            I smiled back as the two of us walked into the auditiorium. I was expecting everyone else to be there but the place was empty. We sat down in the middle portion of the audience area in this auditiorium.

 

            “What now?” I asked him.

 

            “How was it? Our “meet cutes” I mean. Did it live up to your standards?”

 

            “Yeah. It exceeded my expectations actually. I loved it. Although I’m not a fan of the whole ‘push-pull-shove-drag’ method the crowd used whenever those meetings ended.”

 

            He laughed at my comment before responding.

 

            “I’m sorry about that. I did tell them not to be so harsh. If it makes you feel any better, I suffered the ‘push-pull-shove-drag’ too.”

 

            He said and pouted. Aigoo my Yong oppa is so cute.

 

            “I’m curious oppa. What’s with these meet cutes anyway? Why the effort?”

 

            “Do you remember that time when we were working on our romcom movies? When you asked about my suggestions for the couple’s “meet cute?””

 

            “Yeah. You were such a lazy uncooperative bum! You said, and I quote, “Then just let them meet at some random place – a café, library, bookstore, mall, whatever! It doesn’t matter HOW, what matters is WHY they meet. Besides I’m too tired and lazy to think of anything else.” Tsk3. I was so annoyed back then.”

 

            “But not annoyed enough because you remembered the exact words I said.”

 

            He started to tease me. Yong oppa’s observational skills are really off the charts since we met that day in Verona.

 

            “Didn’t you notice anything?” he asked.

           

            “Notice what?”

 

            “The places you’ve been to today.”

 

            That statement of his that I just quoted instantly flashed in my mind: just let them meet at some random place – a cafe…he first of today’s meet cutes began when he “spilled” coffee on me…mall.. where we headed to next so I can get myself a new shirt because of that ‘accident’ during the first meet cute..library…

The third meet cute, the one with the “chemistry” moment and stealing glances at each other through the narrow window of books…bookstore…where the two of us “bumped” into each other after that (no longer a random) book signing of Nicholas Sparks.

 

            As the reality of the situation dawned upon me, I started to feel so emotional. These were the meet cute suggestions I used to pester him about. He spent so much time and effort orchestrating these setups and he even picked the exact places he randomly mentioned back then. It’s too much. I feel so touched and I don’t think I can hold back my tears.

 

            “Why, oppa? Why the need to go through all these measures when we’ve known each other a long time already?”

 

            “That’s just it, Hyun. We do know each other already, but just as bestfriends, former classmates, occasional rivals, and colleagues. Today marks the first day of our courtship, the turning point of rediscovering who we are in each other’s lives. I wanted to give us a fresh start. This time, you’re no longer meeting me as a friend or colleague. The purpose of all those meet cutes is for you to meet the leading man, well, in short, ME. I’m here to introduce myself to you as the man you’re considering to spend the rest of your lives with.

 

When I splashed coffee in your clothes, when we met at the mall, the library, and bookstore…well…Seo Joohyun. You just had 4 different versions of the meet cute with your soulmate. Did you like it? Don’t you think it’s cool? Which one was your favorite? Hahaha!”

 

            I was being emotional here but he had to say that don’t you think it’s cool line of his. Yong Choding it is.

 

            “But then..if we already had a meet cute. What’s the purpose of reenacting those events in the past? Why are we here now?”

 

            I knew he was out of his choding mode. He shifted his body towards my direction and smiled softly. There goes that dugeun dugeun feeling again. I don’t think I’ll ever get used to the effect he has on me.

 

            “Didn’t you notice anything about those events?”

 

            “Like what?”

 

            “Those were the 3 times we met each other after being separated. The first one, in that maze garden. It was a repeat of that moment we bumped into each other in Verona, 2 ½ years after the dating ban. The second one was way back when Top10 was introduced to one another; that was the first time we met after 6 years…”

 

            He stood up and knelt in front of me.

 

            “And now we’re back here…right where it all started. I chose this as the last place for today’s event because I wanted to emphasize something. No matter how many romantic comedy movie-like “meet cutes” we’d have along the way, no matter how many times we got separated and then “crash” into each other when we least expect it, nothing beats the original meet cute. Our real first meeting. THIS one.

 

Everything traces back from the moment we collided for the first time. There was a time when I asked myself all those ‘what ifs;’ like,  ‘what if I did listen to my sister and didn’t run?’ ‘what if I chose to go on a different direction?’ ‘what if I paid extra attention to where that hallway led so I could’ve avoided crashing into you?’

 

You know what I realized? Those “what ifs” were never meant to happen. I knew I’d still run even if my sister told me not to do so. I knew I made the right choice when I went in that direction. Lastly, even if I paid extra attention, I knew we’d still crash into each other.

 

No matter how hard we try to avoid each other, even if we choose to go the opposite direction, in the end, we’d still collide. You know why? Because you and I…we’re meant to be. This whole “crashing/bumping/colliding into each other” is Yongseo’s style. That entire thing is the trademark of our first meeting, regardless of when, where, and why we’re having another one.

 

So you see. I can’t even bring myself to imagine what would happen if those what ifs did occur. I know it did hurt physically when we ran into each other the first time, but I wouldn’t take any of it back. If that didn’t happen, I wouldn’t have picked up your freshman card pass. If I didn’t get your freshman card pass, it’ll take me longer to even know your name, and what if I did find out your name and then that’s just it? I don’t even want to think about the possibility of existing in a universe where you and I are nothing but strangers to each other.”

 

I can’t take it anymore. These feelings are just too much and I didn’t think about anything else as I hugged him tightly. When he hugged me back, I couldn’t contain the tears.

 

“I don’t even want to think about us being just strangers too, oppa. Regardless of what happened in the past, you will always be the best thing that ever happened to me. Thank you for today. I feel so overwhelmed. I’m just…I’m running out of words to say…so…i..uh…thank you..thank you so much.”

 

He pulled away from my embrace. He wiped my tears, tucked my hair behind my ear and then I saw it. That look in his eyes which meant Yong Choding took over once again.

 

“Don’t you think I deserve more than just a thank you?”

 

He asked me as he wiggled his eyebrows.

 

“Then tell me what you think you deserve.” I challenged him back.

 

“A kiss.”

 

“MWOH?!”
 

            “Come on, Joohyun-ah. Sweetheart, please? I went through so much just to make sure everything went well today! All I’m asking for is a kiss!”

 

            “I didn’t ask you to do this for me!”

 

            “You didn’t have to! You only deserve the best…but still…come on. it’s just one kiss.”

 

            He said as he pointed to his cheek. Instead, I kissed the back of his hand.

 

            “There! You got your kiss. Now, let’s go!”

 

            “Eyy! I’m not even asking for a kiss on the lips! Just the cheeks! And yet you kissed my hand? Sweetheart, stop doing this to me!”

 

            He kept chasing me around the auditorium until he finally caught me in a backhug.

 

            “Gotcha! Now..about that kiss I deserve…”

 

 

THIRD PERSON POV:

 

            Seohyun didn’t have time to respond to Yonghwa’s “request” when so many people (aka their classmates and schoolmates who played the part of the “students” awhile ago) came out of their hiding place.

 

            “KYAAAA! JUST KISS HIM SEOHYUN SWEETHEART!!!”

 

            “OMOOOO!! YONGSEO IS FINALLY HAPPENING!!!”

 

            “KISS! KISS! KISS!”

 

            “Aigoo the two of you! Why aren’t you still married?! Look! Mina and I already have 2 kids and the two of you are still in the process of courtship? Mwoyah?!” (Lee Hongki)

 

            “How long have we waited for this day to come?”

 

            “So this is how Yongseo looks like when they’re being mushy. Hahaha!”

 

            “Is it over? Can I change my clothes now? I can’t breathe in this old high school uniform!”

            “Sweetheart? Is that your term of endearment for each other? Kyaaa!”

 

            “Oh my gosh. Shipping this couple during high school is so worth it! Kyaaa! but the slow progress….errr…yah! the two of you! What went into your stubborn heads with the courtship thing?!”

 

            “All right people. It’s dinner time. Those caterers finally arrived! Meet up in the cafeteria. Just like the old times! Woohooo!” (Tiffany)

 

            They headed towards their high school cafeteria as they reminisced about the old days. It feels odd and hilarious to be having this “reunion” wearing their old uniforms. If there’s one thing they haven’t graduated from, that is, teasing Yongseo endlessly.

 

 

3 weeks earlier…

 

Jung Residences

 

HIS POV:

 

            It was the day after we told our friends about the courtship thing. I gathered them in the living room.

 

            “Well? Did you call us over just to watch you pace back and forth?” (Yuri)

 

            “No..of course not! I…uh…i…”

 

            “Oh for crying out loud, just spit it out Jung Yong! Why are you so tensed?! It’s just us.” my sister scolded at me. Maybe I needed that prompt to gather my senses back.

 

            “I need your help.”

 

            “With what?” (Taeyeon)

 

            “The courtship. I’ve never done this before, but I did enough research and I’ve written down my plan for the 11 days. But I can’t do it on my own. I need you guys…help me..please?”

 

            “Dude, you got yourself in that mess. You can get yourself out of it.” (Lee Joon)

 

            “I knew it! I knew this would happen. That’s why you should’ve just asked her to be your girlfriend right away. Why are you two dragging this? Aish.” (Jungshin)

 

            “Yah, Jungshin chingu, why don’t you try to be a hopeless romantic like your leader so you can understand?!” (Jessica)

 

            “Why should I? That’s such a waste of time and effort!”

 

            “What he means to say is, he’s secretly a hopeless romantic at heart. He’s just waiting for the day you’d give him your attention. Don’t you think it’s about time you consider our maknae? You’re single anyway.” (Jonghyun)

 

            “What about you Jonghyun-ah? When are you finally going to make your move? Don’t keep our kid leader waiting for too long. She’s not exactly the poster girl for ‘patience is a virtue.’ Hahaha!” (Tiffany)

 

            Sooyeon, Jungshin, Taeyeon, and Jonghyun stood up and I knew that if I didn’t do anything, World War 3 would commence.

 

            “Hey! Everyone! I called you here to help me with my plans. Can we please discuss it first before the others?”

 

            If I didn’t interfere, this could go on for the entire day. Thankfully, they chose to go back to their seats.

            “So, as you all know, there’s only 11 days for this courtship to happen. I’ve listed down my ideas. Day one would be The Meet Cute…”

 

            “I’m sorry, the what?” (Lee Joon)

 

            “The meet cute! You know, that scene in the movies wherein the couple meets for the first time? Roger Ebert popularized the term in his reviews way back…”

 

            “Ok ok. I think the boys got what the term meant. But seriously. A meet cute? This is real life, Yong. Why do you need to have that kind of thing when the two of you have known each other since 2004?” (Sooyoung)

 

            “It’s different this time. I want to emphasize that this time, we are meeting each other with the mindset that we will end up with one another, like those couples in those cheesy movies you girls love so much. I can’t decide on which scenario fits best so we’re going to do 4 meet cutes before the other 3.”

 

            “Wait…what do you mean 4 before the other 3? There’s 7?!” (Hyoyeon)

 

            “What’s with the WE?!” (Sunny)

 

            “I need as much help as I can get to accomplish it. I’ll pay for everything! But I really need your hel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter