CHAPTER 2 THE FIRST MEETING

Redefining Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2014

 

HER POV:

If you ask me how I felt during our first meeting, the honest answer is, NOTHING. It wasn’t love or hate at first sight. It was just that. A first meeting.

 

2004

 

HER POV:

“Are you sure you’re going to be ok? Do you want me to accompany you to school and help you find your classroom? Or ask the principal to tour you around or something?”

“Yes umma, I’m going to be fine. It’s my first day in high school. I can do it on my own.”

“But Joohyun, those kids are way older than you. You’re only 13! What if they pick on you or something?”

“Umma, relax. SIPASH has zero tolerance for school violence and bullying. And Appa? Are you crying?”

I saw my dad unsuccessfully tried to hide his tears. My mom snapped back to reality and playfully hit my dad’s shoulder.

“Yah! Why are you the one crying? It’s supposed to be me!”

“You’ll have your turn when she gets into college! Ha! I beat you to it now!”

And there goes another round of their bickering. I kissed them goodbye and headed towards my dream school. Everyone else was too caught up with meeting their friends to pay attention to a 13 year old girl.

 

I checked my watch only to find out I had only 5 minutes left till the orientation started. Crap! I have to run now! Where was that auditorium again? Ugh. This is why I hate maps. I never really understood it.

 

            I saw the signboard I was looking for, and apparently, so did the rest of my fellow freshmen. It was like a stampede trying to make it in there on time. We’ve heard rumors that the orientation was mandatory and late comers would not only get locked out, but also receive disciplinary action (you wouldn’t want to be stuck memorizing 12 song and dance sequences while working on 3 science projects; that’s the rumored way of “detention” here at SIPASH).

           

            I kept running straight ahead that I failed to see another one of those adjoining hallways. As a result I crashed with the person who came from that direction. I fell, face down, and by of luck, at least my glasses weren’t broken.

 

            “Argh! Ouch! Oh my. I am so sorry. I really am sorry. Uh, can I continue apologizing later sunbaenim? I’m a first year student and I really have to go now. I’m sorry!” I didn’t even think of helping up that person or bothered to look at his face. I scrambled up to gather my things and help him with his before dashing off into the auditorium.

 

 

HIS POV:

 

“Hurry up you punk! We’re going to be late! Yah!” I screamed at my sister who was still too preoccupied with choosing whatever it is she has to apply on her face.

 

“What did you call me? Punk?! Yah! How dare you call your noona disrespectfully! And please! Stop fidgeting. We still have half an hour before school starts. This is our first day in high school! I need to look good, but not too good. Just good enough to be presentable."

 

I sighed and decided against annoying her further. Meet Jung Sooyeon aka Jessica, my twin sister, although we were born on different dates, her on the 21st of June 11:58pm while I followed two minutes later on June 22. She keeps insisting I call her "noona" which I only do when I need something from her.

 

As I predicted, we were running late. Not that I care about going there on time or so but I just didn’t want to start my first day on the wrong foot. However, my sister brushed it off saying,

 

“It's just a stupid rumor. If we get locked out, I'll just scream and call the cops. We are students here and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter