CHAPTER 37 READJUSTMENT PERIOD

Redefining Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

PART III. SPRING DRIZZLE

 

Prologue

 

            Francois de La Rochefoucauld once said, “True love is like a ghost, which everybody talks about but few have seen.” What if you were one of the few who not only saw it, but actually got to experience it? True love, we mean. Finding the other half who bears your soul is just the starting point. Some people take years and years before they meet “The One.” In our case? It only took one collision for us to meet each other but almost more than decade to finally own up to our feelings.

            We denied for the longest time because we were afraid that we might ruin our friendship. We kept each other at bay for so long, in this place called the “friendzone” because it’s comfortable, safe, and guaranteed that we would always be a part of each other’s lives. We thought we were doing the other a favor by not taking the risk and keep everything in its proper order.

You know what? We thought wrong. It all boiled down to our selfishness – that fear of falling in love, confessing, and the possibility of rejection or the reality that things may not turn out just like in those fairytales. We thought we were safeguarding our own hearts but the truth is, we not only betrayed and hurt each other, but also ourselves.

            The thing that separates us from those clichéd couples are our antagonists: time and OURSELVES. Everyone and everything are all in for this romance. We were the ones who hesitated a lot, overanalyzed, and ran around in circles. It’s crazy how everything and everyone, from our careers, fans, friends, and families, are all in our favor. It was all just us and our issues. Just that.

            Real love is not based on romance, candle light dinner and walks along the beach. It is based on respect, compromise, care and trust. We already have the real/true love part covered, but the others? It took a lot of time and effort. In order for those 4 elements to blossom, they have to be cultivated, cared for, and nurtured.

We were too cautious. We took baby steps for each one of that to grow and develop. Our friends told us that being slow-paced is our signature, and to be honest, that’s ok. We never intended to rush our fate/destiny. We have always known in our hearts that we were truly meant to be. The waiting part may have been agonizing at some point in our lives, but then again, we took it as an opportunity to develop our patience. Why? Because the best things in life are worth the wait.

            People may deem us as the “perfect/ideal couple” but the truth is, at the end of the day, we are still as flawed as everyone else. We’re two imperfect individuals who happened to be perfect for each other. Every day is a process of learning more about each other.

Just like what Jessica Cochran said, “God made many puzzle pieces, but only those two 'cut out' for each other, can fit together to create a perfect and beautiful picture.” In our case, we are each other’s missing puzzle piece. Jung Yonghwa and Seo Joohyun. Yo~ng and Hy~un. Yong and Seo. YongSeo.

            Our love…this new relationship (as boyfriend-girlfriend) that we finally decided to commit ourselves to? It can be likened to that of Spring: a season in our lives which signifies rebirth, rejuvenation, renewal, resurrection, and regrowth.

Ok maybe that was a handful, but yeah, you get it.  We’ve resigned to the fact that there would be occasional “drizzles” that’d come along our way. However, we are in this TOGETHER. Besides, aren’t drizzles necessary for everything else to bloom? True love stands by each other’s side on good days and stands even closer on bad days.

            The question is…when you’ve spent most of your life being independent and all that, how do you go from YOU, and ME, to US?

 

 

4 months later…

 

HER POV:

 

            “ABSOLUTELY NOT!” I said. I intend to stand by my decision.

            “But Hy~un!”


            “NO!”


            “YES!”

            “NO!”


            “YES!”

            “NO!”


            “YES!”

            “OPPA!”


            “JOOHYUN-AH, PLEASE????” he pouted and begged like a little child. I could feel myself giving in. I took one last look and that’s it. I lost once more. I can never resist him whenever he does that.

            “FINE.”

“Really?! Hooray! I’ll go get it ready! You’re the best girlfriend in the world!”

“Oppa, I’m the only girlfriend you ever had and perhaps, ever will.” I commented sarcastically.

“I know, and the same goes for me being yours too. That’s why I love you even more! Hooray!” he kissed my cheek and ran off to his room. We were at his family’s house. Sica unnie and Krystal kept laughing.

“Unnie, what happened to the ‘I’ll definitely won’t lose to him this time?’ All it took was one pout from oppa and you’re done for!”

“It’s your fault Krystal! Stop teaching him how to do aegyo!” I whined. I sat down beside them on the couch. They still haven’t recovered from my “defeat.” Just in case you’re wondering, the thing that Yong oppa and I were arguing about are couple shirts.

“There’s nothing wrong with couple shirts Hyunnie. I don’t get why you’re so against it.” Sica unnie teased me in between her laughs.

“Then unnie, why don’t you try wearing one with Jungshin chingu?! Speaking of, are you two dating or what?”

“Sort of.” Sica unnie answered aloofly.

“SORT OF?!” Krystal and I asked.

“It’s either you are or you aren’t. So, are you in a relationship or not?”

“It’s complicated? I don’t know too. Let’s just say we enjoy what we have right now.” Sica unnie said as she smiled and resumed texting with Jungshin chingu (so obvious).

“Eww unnie that’s such a showbiz answer! Anyway, back to you Seohyun unnie. Why don’t you like the couple shirts? Minhyuk oppa and I wear it all the time. It’s cute!”

“I’m not against couple shirts and I do think it’s cute, but NOT the one your brother picked out! Of all the couple shirts out there, why does he have to pick the one with the most horrible design?! Did you even see what he bought?!”

“Aww, Seohyunnie. You’re exaggerating too much. It’s not horrible. Cheesy, yes, but that’s a given. I think it’s cute.”

“Oh and unnie? He didn’t buy just one. Oppa actually bought 10 pairs? 20?”

“WHAT?! and let me guess..you two helped picked out the designs right?! Yah! You could’ve been more considerate of me!”

“Hahahaha! We only accompanied him when he bought it. Trust us. Jung Yong picked the designs by himself.”

Speaking of the culprit, he finally went back to the living room bearing ALL pairs of couple shirts.

“I can’t decide on one so will you help me pick out what we should wear for our date today?”


            Sica unnie and Krystal were about to say their suggestions but Yong oppa cut them off.

“Not you two! You’re not the one I’m wearing this with!” he said then he turned his attention to me. If only he didn’t look like an excited puppy that’s so cute and charming and handsome and…yah! Seo Joohyun! Aigoo. Tsk. This is why you’re stuck with wearing cheesy couple shirts.

“I already washed all these shirts so all that’s left is to wear it. So, which one is it Hyun? This one? This? Or this? I think this is nice!”

I got up and started inspecting the couple shirts. Just how many did he buy?!

 

 

Nah. Too boring?

Looks ok. Maybe I’ll keep this on one side.

This is just too much. Crazy bf and crazy gf? NOT.

“You do realize that you’d still end up wearing those shirts you rejected, right Hyunnie? Haha! We’ll leave you two to settle this one. Got something on my schedule. Bye!” (Jessica)

“I’m going to my room and sleep. Have fun on your date!” (Krystal)

I went back to my inspection.

 

No..not really. It’s too…NEXT!

 

Cute. But why does the print occupy the whole front?

 

I think this one’s ok. Hmmm..i’ll keep it on the short-list.

 

 

I don’t really know what to make of this. NEXT!

 

 

Born to love each other? Ugh. Reject.

 

This one looks cute too..hmm..

Oh no. This is a huge NO!!! Ewwww! This is the worst of the worst! Emo much?! 

 

Simple and cute. I think this one's ok. I'll consider it. 

 

 

 

“BABY?!!! BABY DADDY?!!! YAH!”

Yong oppa laughed as he took those shirts and said,

“Maybe I’ll save this one for later. hahaha!”

I only had one last shirt to check.

Ah, now this! This one’s ok. It’s the most “harmless” design out of the rest.

“And we’ve got a winner! I choose this one oppa!”

“SHIRO!” he protested as he took the shirt and dumped it in the “REJECT” pile.

“What?! But why?! This is cute!”

“I just realized something. The hand design is holding on to your waist. Aish. I don’t like this at all! Why did I even buy it?!”

“Oppa! You’re getting jealous over a stupid design on a shir

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter