CHAPTER 7 CHEESY PICK-UP BATTLE

Redefining Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

HIS POV:

 

            I waited with bated breath as she read my revision. As soon as she looked up at me, I asked,

           

            “Well? How was it? I’m a genius right! Hahahaha!”

             

            She shot me a displeased look and retorted,

           

            “This is it?! This is the best you can come up with?! What kind of a scenario is that? There’s no originality! Candlelit dinner, the girl running after the guy in the middle of the road, hand holding in the beach, and what is this?

 

This is full of music video moments!!! I hate those MV moments a lot! It only means you’re too lazy to come up with great scenes. The only thing you did right was the prologue! Argh! And here I thought you were a ladies’ man.”

           

            I felt slightly offended.Those ideas came from me. Even my band mates thought it was romantic. How can this girl not see that?

 

            “What originality are you talking about? All romcoms are the same. Even my male friends thought I did well! And mwoh? What the hell is a “music video moment?!””

           

            “THIS! And THIS! Here’s another one! Wait, there’s more here! Argh! The music video moment is the one wherein either the guy or the girl revisits the places they share as a couple, emote while a sappy dramatic song plays on the background, as the flashbacks occur. That’s so lazy! It’s nothing more than a filler!”

 

            “That’s the purpose of that “MV moment.” To highlight the dramatic and romantic scenes. It’s the center of the conflict!”

 

            “I know what the purpose of an MV moment is but do you realize how much you abused that with this thing you wrote?! ONE is enough, TWO is pushing it, but you included FOUR! FOUR! Are you going to waste the soundtrack on that?! 

 

Everybody knows how a romcom ends. They watch it with the knowledge that the guy and the girl would get together in the finale. What they want to see is HOW that would happen. If you call this trash you wrote as “romantic” then you might as well let your audience fall asleep!”

           

            TRASH?! She dare label my “hardwork” as trash?! Does she not know how much I had to rack my brains for that and the endless teasing I endured when my band mates caught me searching “how to write a romantic scene” in Google?!

 

            “Trash?! And you think you can write something better?!”

           

            “Yes!”

           

            “Fine! Then prove it. Let’s get into character as Seju and Yoorim. I’ll go first. The first one who caves in will buy lunch!”

           

            “Call!”

           

            This is it. I have to unleash my romantic side. I have to prove to her that I am good at this. We stood up as I took her hand in mine. I looked into her eyes and said,

 

            “Han Yoorim, stop running away from me. Can’t you see it? Our love…our love is like magic. It makes you see things beyond there is, opens up your eyes to the truth, and leaves you amazed.”

           

            She snorted first and remarked, “This is not the way you do it. I’ll show you” and then she got into character. Our fingers were still interlaced as she looked into my eyes sincerely. I felt like she was looking deep into my soul. She let go of my right hand, and held my cheeks.

 

            “Seju oppa…Park Seju…Our love isn’t like magic, because magic is just an illusion. It’s nothing more than a sham or a blinding distraction of all sorts of trickery. Our love isn’t like that, because ours is real. No fancy tricks, lavish events, and props needed. Just your heart and mine, beating as one.”

 

            Damn. That made my heart race. She’s good but I won’t back down. Deep breath. Ha. Let’s see if you can handle what I’m about to say next.

 

            “The moment we first met was engraved in my mind. To you, it was nothing more than a first meeting, but to me? I felt hurt. Literally. Out of nowhere, you crashed into me. The impact was too strong. If that was a prelude of falling in love with you, even if in the end I know you'd break my heart and leave me, I'd still go through it.

 

Why? Because of you. You are worth every tear I shed, every challenge I have to endure, every piece of my heart that you, only you, have the power to break. You're one of a kind. My soul mate, my other half, if it meant I'd die just to see you smile, I'd willingly give up my life."

 

            I saw a tint of pink creep into her cheeks. Beat that, Hyun! I mentally gave myself a pat on the shoulder and a high five for a job well done.

 

"You're right. The first meeting was just that to me, but that doesn't mean I love you any less. You said I am your soulmate, your other half? To me, you're my everything, so much to the point that I don't even get the chance to miss you whenever you're gone.

 

Why? Because everywhere I look is a reminder of you. Whenever I feel sad, I'd close my eyes and see your smile. Just that alone gives me strength. The day I fell in love with you was the same day I entrusted you with my heart. When people say that you wear your heart on your sleeve, I want to tell them they're wrong, that’s mine, not yours.”

 

"They say that first love never dies but true love can bury it alive. What if your first love and true love are one and the same? Because that's who you are to me, my first, my last, my future. There's no second or third or fourth. Just you."

"You are my first and last oppa, you know that. I love you like a drowning person loves air. It would destroy me to have so little of you. That's what Rae Carson wrote in the book Crown of Embers. When I read that, I thought it was silly. Now I know, it's the truth."

"My sister would squeal over this book called Beautiful Disaster. I asked her what the fuss is all about. She was busy giggling that I had to look at the page she can't get over with. That's when I knew that someday, I'd find a girl who I'd be willing to shed off my pride and tell her the words written in that book:

“I knew the second I met you that there was something about you I needed. Turns out it wasn’t something about you at all. It was just you.”"

            "I'm the type of girl who falls only once - that much I know. For years I kept my heart shut, locked in metal bars, and threw away the key. But somewhere along the ashes or wilderness, you found it and picked it up. Just when I thought that I could not love anyone besides me, you came and unlocked my heart. You made me feel so special and loved. It's just overflowing. I want to give it back. It's my turn now."

            “How can you do this? How can you make me fall for you just like that? I went on this show not expecting anything, only hoping to get some exposure for my group. But then you happened. The couple ring? You singing the song I wrote for you?

Yah, Han Yoorim. You’re really…ahhh… you just made sure that I’ll never get over a girl like you. I think the last 100 days of our faux marriage will be tough on me. I used to wish it’ll be over quickly but now I think I’ll pray that time would stop on the 99th day so that you will be mine forever.”

            “Seju oppa, I know you saw that CF I was in. I won’t ask if you’re jealous or not. I know you understand my line of work because we’re the same. Even if I had to act out those scenes with him, it’s still you I’m going home to. I “married” you first so that makes the one with him invalid. Besides, you know I’ll always choose you, right?”

            “Yah, Yoorim-ah, so you’re saying if you “married” him first you’d choose him over me?”

            “No. Regardless of who I met first, if your name was on the list, I’d choose you unconditionally – I can accept your past, present, and be willing to be a part of your future just for the reason that it’s you.”

            I can’t hide my own blushing face and I knew that my cheeks were bursting from happiness despite all these “scripted” play. I got down on my knees and continued the act.

 

            “Is this how things are? I’m supposed to be the one saying those lines! I think we got our roles reversed. I just want to say, I’d choose you too, no terms and conditions needed, just you. If it’s not you, then it can’t be anyone else.”

            “Do you know why, out of all the guys out there I singled you out as the one I didn’t want to be my virtual husband?”

            “Why?”

            “Because I fear that I might actually fall for you for real.”

            Ok, that’s it. I smiled and didn’t bothering hiding my bursting cheekbones. However, before I could utter a comeback, she beat me to it.

            “This is the part where you stop.”

            “Stop what?”

            “Smiling like that.”

            “Huh..and why would I?”

            “Because…you’re making it harder for me, not to fall in love with you.”

            Aish!!! Seo Joohyun! Since when did you become such a hopeless romantic?! I can’t lose over something that I should’ve been an expert on. I’d have to resort to my all-time favorite lady killer: pickup lines.

"Do you have a pencil?" I asked her seriously. She started to look around her bag until she found one.

"Here. What do you need it for? To take down notes?"

"No. I need it because I want to erase your past and write our future."

I smirked. I knew she fought the urge to roll her eyes. We have covered the romantic dramatic cliché and now it's time for the cheesiest pickup battle. She raised her brow at me and I smiled. Let the battle begin.

"Was your father a thief? Because someone stole all the stars in the sky and put them in your eyes."

She's good. How did she have the time to make up all these lines? I have to prove to her that I can do better.

"I thought happiness starts with an H. Why does mine start with U?"

"When I first looked at you, I tried to look for a signature, because I'm sure that every masterpiece has one."

"Are you a girl scout? Because you tie my heart in knots."

“Do you know what’s on a menu? ME-n-U.”

"If you were a teardrop, I would never cry for fear of losing you."

"You're almost perfect...the only thing I see wrong is your lips..they're not touching mine."

She said it as she inched closer to me. I felt myself swallow. No. I can't lose just yet. I reached behind her neck, and tried to look for the tag on her shirt. I pulled her closer and I felt her sudden jerk. Ha. You played this game first. I pretended to read the tag, looked at her and playfully smiled.

"Yep. Made in heaven."

She was going to laugh. I can tell from the way she bit her inner cheek. Still, she continued the battle.

"Is there an airport nearby? Or is that just my heart taking off?"

"Life without you is like a broken pencil...pointless."

"You can fall from the sky, you can fall from a tree..but the best way to fall, is to fall in love with me."

            I walked away from her and tried to scramble for some stuff in the first aid box. I brought out a stethoscope and placed the earpiece in her ears.

            “Why don’t you listen to your heart, and go out with me?”

            She’s going to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter