CHAPTER 13 THE AFTERMATH/AFTER EFFECT

Redefining Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

HER POV:

          I’ve been staring at the mirror for the past 10 minutes. It’s official. I look like the walking dead. The dark circles under my eyes are soooo ugly.  This is one of those rare moments I am thankful that Kwanghee and Sunhwa tinkered with my makeup kit and added an extra tube of concealer. It’s all Yonghwa oppa’s fault for my lack of sleep! How does he expect me to have a good night’s rest after everything that happened yesterday?! It’s a good thing I finished shopping for souvenirs. I can’t even walk around the city without yesterday’s events flashing through my mind.

          5:30pm. I looked at the tickets on the center table. My internal battle began.

Should I go? Nah. Too risky.

Maybe I could drop by for a few minutes and leave. Are you crazy?! What if someone recognizes you?

Then just cover up with some hoodie or mask! Are you insane? That’s even more obvious!

If someone recognizes you then just tell them you’re there to support your labelmates. Why now when you were never spotted in their concerts before? And worse? You’re in abroad, not Korea!

Ok fine. Go attend in the middle of the concert and leave before it ends. That’s another dumb strategy. You think fans won’t notice when some random person passes by?

Why are you hesitating?! Didn’t he say that the area is secluded? His manager’s family is the only one accommodating that space! But, isn’t that more suspicious?! I should’ve brought my unnies along!

Whatever. Go, stay. It’s up to you. I’m out.

WAIT!! Thanks so much, dear brain. If you leave me to follow my heart then I’m bound to do something reckless and stupid and not to mention, 100% risky. Waah! Help!

6:45pm. The concert will start in fifteen minutes. The fans must be hyper and excited by now.

Should I go or should I stay? I kept pacing back and forth. I tried every means of distraction but my eyes keep finding its way back to look at the clock.

8pm.

ARGHH! Brain?! Hello? WHERE ARE YOU?!

Taking my well-deserved rest. Goodluck Seo Joohyun! Make sure you don’t get caught! Enjoy the concert!

Before I waste more time hesitating, I grabbed my hoodie, shades, scarf, and mask. It’s now or never.

 

THIRD PERSON POV:

          The fans were high and happy. The first hour of the concert was going great. The boys were energetic and hyper as usual, even Jung Yonghwa seems like he has woken up from his zombie state. Professionally, Yonghwa has always performed well, but the fans knew that the way he sang the songs was different this time. It’s like, he’s no longer the sad, heartbroken vocalist. He’s not singing it with those depressing emotions but something different. It’s like declaring to the world that he has moved on.

          Jonghyun, Minhyuk, and Jungshin knew there was something different with their leader. He still hasn’t smiled as fans hoped but his energy level and overall aura seems to indicate that he would anytime soon. They noticed that he kept looking at the left side. They knew he was waiting for her. The 3 of them looked at the opposite direction where their friends are. They made hand signals that meant that Seohyun hasn’t arrived yet. 9:30pm. Will their efforts be wasted? Is it really too late?

          “Do you think she’ll come?” Hyoyeon asked, with a hint of worry in her voice.

          “As long as there’s still time, we can still hope for it.” Tiffany tried to sound convincing although she herself is feeling nervous.

          “Ah, the agony of dealing with uri maknae, the girl who is unpredictable. We did what we could. The choice is hers and whatever it will be, we have to respect it.” Taeyeon said with a hint of finality, hoping to put an end to their worries.

         

 

HER POV:

          Of all the nights I have to be stuck in traffic, why does it have to be tonight?!!! I kept checking my watch for the past hour and a half. WHYYY?!! Will I make there on time?!

          That’s why you should’ve left earlier. You wasted too much time overanalyzing the situation.

          Great. Now my own conscience is scolding me. Ahhh! It’s 9:15! There’s only forty five minutes left until the concert ends! I turned towards the cabbie and asked him in Italian,

          “Excuse me, but is the place still a long way from here? I’m kind of in a hurry.”

          He pointed to some building a few meters from where we were.

          “You see that building with the flashy lights? That’s the place. I think the traffic won’t be resolved anytime soon. If you want, you can go there by foot. There’s a shortcut over that way. Just ask the locals.”

          I hurriedly took some cash from my purse, thanked him, and got out of the cab.

          You must be crazy Seo Joohyun. Running around the streets just to go see a concert? Waah! 9:40pm…almost there! Please, please don’t let it be over just yet. Isn’t there an encore stage? Yes, an encore. I can do this! Fighting!

 

THIRD PERSON POV:

          It was 10:00pm. The concert has ended but the fans screamed for more. Obviously, the prepared encore stage took place. But something else happened that night. Something that has never happened in the entire history of CNBLUE’s existence.

          All eyes and cameras were on the member called Emotional. For the first time since CNBLUE made its debut, Jung Yonghwa smiled, and not just a smile, but one so genuine and heartfelt that every other person in the room fell silent.

 

 

HIS POV:

She came. She really came. My Seo Joohyun is here. It felt like the world stopped spinning and it was just the two of us in the same room. She must’ve run all the way here, judging from her messy hair and breathless look. Still, in my eyes, she’s grown even more beautiful.

I can’t believe it. I never thought she’d show up. She lowered her mask, looked at me with those bright sparkling eyes, winked, and finally, she smiled. I felt my heart stop beating, and then kicked into full speed. The uncontrollable “lub dub” makes me feel that my heart is going to come out of my chest.

I can’t contain my joy anymore. I smiled so much it felt like my cheeks were going to burst. The concert hall fell silent. Every other person present knew and thought of the same thing:

Jung Yonghwa is no longer a broken hearted man.

 

THIRD PERSON POV:

          The events of that concert became the worldwide trending topic. Pictures of Jung Yonghwa smiling went viral. They all knew too well that the mysterious and lonely lead vocalist of the band didn’t just flash his most charming smile to commemorate the tour’s end. The curiosity just grew. Everyone has the same question in mind: Who’s the girl?

          There wasn’t much time to take a rest as the band had to prepare for their flight back home. They arrived at the hotel and packed up their things. Soon after, they arrived at the airport. The 3 members, along with their manager, exchanged meaningful looks. Time to put the final act for First Meeting 3.0.

          “What do you mean you can’t fix this?!!! No! We can’t afford another delay. The members have their individual schedules to fulfill! How can you do this?! Don’t you know which agency owns Kingdom Air?! Your explanation is unacceptable!”

          The 3 members acted like they were trying to calm down their “furious” manager who was now yelling curses.

          “What’s happening here? Why is Shindong hyung so mad?”

          “We were supposed to be in business class but there was an error in the booking details so we ended up with only 1 seat.” (Minhyuk)

          “What?! But what about the others? Are they going to be transferred to a different flight?”

          “That’s what they were trying to work out earlier but everything else is booked. The one with an available slot is not scheduled until 3 days later.”

          Minhyuk pointed to the manager, Shindong, Jonghyun, and Jungshin who pretended to be in a serious discussion, although in reality, their backs were turned to prevent Yonghwa from seeing them laughing.

          “What do we do now? We have to finish recording our album. Our comeback is scheduled in 3 weeks and we haven’t got new material or even shot a music video! We can’t afford the delay.”

          It was at this moment that their manager and fellow members came back to share the “amicable solution” they decided upon.

          “There’s only 1 business class seat available, but the rest of us will go in the same flight, just in the Economy class. I’m fine with that since the other staff are there too. The four of you decides who gets the business class seat.”

          “I’d rather stay with Shindong hyung and the staff! I don’t want to be a loner! Please hyung!” (Jungshin)

          “Same goes for me and Minhyuk. Why don’t you take the business class, hyung?” (Jonghyun)

          “What are you up to guys? It is so unlike you to give up that slot for no reason. Yah! Are you planning something crazy?!” (Yonghwa)

          “ANIYOOO!!! It’s just that we thought you needed the privacy more. You know, to possibly write more songs? You said so yourself hyung that our comeback date is drawing near and yet we don’t have anything finalized yet. How can you concentrate in a cramped up space? Chances are, there are more fangirls in the same flight.” (Minhyuk)

          “That’s right! The manager of Kingdom Air couldn’t make adjustments to the seats because some CEOs were the ones booked. So, go hyung! Don’t worry about us. It’s not like the economy class is bad.” (Jungshin)

          Yonghwa decided to just go ahead and accept their offer, much to the delight of the others.  He was a little bit suspicious with their reactions but decided he’d just let it go. Maybe he can work on those songs stuck in his head for a while now.

          Meanwhile, Jungshin sent a text to Jessica:

                   *PP IN BUSINESS CLASS CONFIRMED.* from UntouchableShin

          As soon as Jessica received the text, they gave the go signal for Heechul to pull off the same act with their maknae.

          *SP CONFIRMED, BUSINESS CLASS. NO ARGUMENTS. LOOKS LIKE SHE’S STILL IN A DAZE AFTER THE CONCERT. HAHA!” from Heenim

          They purposely boarded the plane earlier to recheck the cameras, mics, and settle in their seats in the far back of the economy class.

          “Seriously guys, your level of “stalking” those two are just..wahhh…do they teach this in high school? how do you know all of this stuff?! And is that safe for flying? I thought gadgets aren’t allowed” (Shindong)

          “This isn’t “stalking” oppa. We’re just monitoring their progress.” (Sooyoung)

          “It’s hard to keep track of those two by listening to their stories alone because they leave out the best parts! How can we help them? Haha!” (Yoona)

          “They don’t teach this stuff in high school, oppa. We learned this during the GA. hahahaha!” (Tiffany)

          “Ok everything’s good! The peeps should be boarding by now. Do you think they’d recognize the “passengers?” (Lee Joon)

          “They won’t. They’re too busy with their schedules to pay attention to every employee in our agency. They usually work with the same people so no worries. Good thing the agency branch here in Europe was kind enough to send us the backup! Haha!” (Taeyeon)

          Everybody got on their seats as the rest of the “passengers” boarded the plane.

          “Ugh. It’s so cramped up in here! Noona! Can you not recline your seat so much?! I can’t stretch my legs!” (Jungshin)

          “Don’t be too noisy Jungshin chinggu!!! Why did you have to pick that seat anyway?! Go exchange with Sunny over there!” (Hyoyeon)

          “But I want the window seat!”

          “Then just fold your long legs and bear with it!”

          “Sssshhh! Will you two knock it off?! Yongseo just entered the premises!” (Yuri)

 

HER POV:

          “Just ask the flight attendants for assistance. Don’t go to my seat ok?! I want to rest!” (Heechul)

          “But don’t you want this seat? I told you I’m fine in the economy class.”

          “NO!!! ANDWAE! Yah Seo Joohyun! Are you trying to kill me twice?! Do you know how much the GC scolded me when they found out about your mini escapades?! I thought my ears were going to fall out! What do you think will happen when they found out that the manager is having a good time in the business class while the artist he is supposed to be responsible for is being bugged by random strangers or worse, paparazzis?! I don’t want to lose my job! Now, go to your seat and just rest. I only have one request and that is if you leave me at peace in the economy class. You owe me that! Arasso?”

          I nodded and went to find my seat. He’s right. I think I owe him that rest. I can only imagine how much the GC grilled him when they found out I went MIA yesterday and a few hours ago. I didn’t have much luggage with me and as I was busy looking for my seat, I bumped into someone.

          “Sorry!” (both)

          Is this a joke?! Is the universe conspiring to bring us together?! Why in the world would he have to be my seat mate for the rest of the flight? I looked around to check for his other band mates and Shindong oppa but couldn’t find them. Did he tell them that I was here too and pulled off this prank?

          “They’re in the economy class.” Yonghwa oppa addressed my concern as he put his guitar case in the upper cabin.

          I didn’t respond as I took my seat but he continued explaining anyway.

          “The airline had some booking error. They only managed to get 1 business class ticket and the rest are in economy. It’s either that or wait around for 3 days. The guys gave me this seat because according to them, “I need more privacy to concentrate writing the songs for our next album.” Where’s Heenim?”

          “Same issue. I insisted we swap seats, but he got angry saying the GC scolded him so much for allowing me to wander around without a bodyguard and he might really lose his job if they find out that he placed me in the economy class. I didn’t argue with him. I caused him much trouble lately. He even warned me not to visit him in the economy class because he wants his peace and rest.”

          “Hmm..funny. the boys and Shindong hyung said the same thing…I’m sorry about Heenim getting scolded but I’m glad he didn’t take up your offer to swap seats.” He smiled as he settled down beside me.

          It’s these stupid butterflies again. I thought I’m supposed to be angry, but how come I’m not? Is it really possible I have forgiven him for the second time he left me? Was I even angry in the first place? Was I wrong to impose that dating clause without waiting to hear his explanation? Most of all, why am I wondering about this?

          “A penny for your thoughts?”

          I took a 100 won coin from my purse and handed it over to him.

          “Here. Not in the mood to talk.”

          He laughed as he ruffled my hair. He knows I hate it when he does that.

          “Argh! Stop it!”

          “I can’t help it. You’re so cute when you’re being all sarcastic and cold.”

          He called me…cute? *smile* NO! Wait! Argh!

          “Thank you.”

          “What for?” I knew what he was thanking me for but I pretended not to. Maintain the cold city girl persona, Seo Joohyun.

          “For coming to the concert last night. I thought you’d never show up. I was hoping I’d meet you backstage but you disappeared before I could even let the staff find you.”

          “Well, the concert ticket you gave me didn’t exactly come with a backstage pass.”  I tried to act all snotty in hopes of ending the conversation, but it seems like this only caused the opposite effect.

          “Still witty as ever, Joohyun-ah. I missed those comments of yours.” He smiled again. Argh! Why can’t I resist that?!

          “I don’t know if you noticed but I’m tired. I want to sleep. Now stop bugging me.”

          “I figured. It must be one hell of a marathon you ran last night.” He winked. Shoot me now.

          “What marathon? And who said anything about running?”

          “You’re not the type to be late, Joohyun. I know you contemplated a lot on coming or not, but when you did, there was still enough time to catch up to the last part of the concert. Must be some traffic or whatever delay that’s why you had to run to make it at least in time for the encore.”  I was going to refute his statement and make up another one of my ridiculously lame excuses but he held up his hand as if to shut me up. “AND! Don’t bother denying it. I know you too well. The disheveled hair and you gasping for air were pretty much the dead giveaway.” Was my hair really that messy?!! How did I look when I was all breathless? Waah!!!

          “Don’t worry. I still think you were the most beautiful woman there last night.” Another smile. Aaahhhh!! Save me!

          “Psh.”

          “Eyy. Don’t you believe me? It wasn’t until you arrived when I finally smiled. Didn’t you notice how the entire venue became silent? Haha! Last time I checked, those pictures of me grinning like a lovesick fool just became viral on the internet.”

          Of course it went viral. I knew because I was online a while ago. Articles were released immediately. Reporters and fans are probably camping outside the airport and SJYNC right now, waiting for the inside scoop on Jung Yonghwa’s “mystery girl.”

          Just then, I saw him take out two neck pillows, a blue and a pink one. Yuck. One of those cheesy couple stuff. It even had HIS and HERS along with arrows pointing to each other as the print design. Don’t get me started on the hearts and the other smiling bear printed on it too. I watched as he arranged something and then I froze. No. He’s not…oh please no. Please don’t tell me he’s going to make me use the pink one. Please. Please. Please. Please!

          “Here.” He said as he handed me that horrid pink pillow. I didn’t bother hiding the horrified look on my face.

          “C’mon. It’s just a pillow. I know you can’t sleep without 2 pillows, one on your head and another as your huggable. Just so you noticed, there’s only one provided per seat. I figured you forgot to bring your spare, and some fans handed this over to me at the airport. The way I see it, your options are very limited. It’s either you stay awake for the remaining hours or you take up my offer and have a good rest. Unless….you want ME as your huggable?” he wiggled his brows and teased me further.

Why am I not annoyed? Worst, I can feel myself blushing. Ack! How can he still remember those minor details about me?! I reluctantly grabbed the pink pillow he offered and was fumbling for the eye mask when I saw him get a hand towel and placed it on his shoulder. I gave him a confused look as he made this random gesture. Is he seriously telling me I should lean on him?! No way!

“Don’t be stubborn Joohyun-ah. I’m the one offering here. We’re in the middle seat area and you don’t have a wall to lean on to.”

Ugh. I hate it because he’s right and he knows it. Still, I won’t give in so easily.

“What’s the towel for?”

“For you not to drool on my clothes. Hahaha!”

Now I could not mask my irritation and slight embarrassment. A girl’s got to defend her pride.

“Excuse me, but I do NOT drool when I sleep!”

“And how would you know that? I’m not the one who falls asleep in the school bus. You practically left your drool mark on my uniforms. Hahaha!”

I was appalled, and not to mention, embarrassed. Why does he have to bring that up?!

“Hey, I’m sorry. I was just kidding. I don’t mind at all if you drool or have your mouth opened while you sleep. I think you still look so cute.”

Drool? Check. Mouth opened? Check. Humiliation level 100%? Check. Giddiness from being called cute? Check. Wait. Giddiness?!!  Before I could reject his offer, I saw him raise the arm rests to remove the barrier between us. He reclined our seats, fixed the pillows (yes, those horrendous couple pillows!!!), cover me with a blanket, as he guided my head to lean on him.

I could feel him burying his face in my hair, and for a second, I felt conscious. My heart was beating so fast. I pulled the mask down to cover my eyes.

“Hmmmm….strawberry. I missed this so much. Sleep well, my angel. We have a long flight ahead.”

HYPERVENTILATING from too much fluff. ACCCCKKK! He called me his angel? *blush* kyaaaa! Waah! No! He kissed the top of my head and I felt myself stiffened. Did I like it or did I hate it? I tried to stay awake but my exhaustion caught up and soon enough, I fell asleep in his arms.

 

HIS POV:

          It didn’t take long before I felt her relax and fall into a deep sleep. I lifted up my eye mask to look at her face. I don’t know and I don’t care how long I stared. Ahhh. I could do this every day.

Just as I remembered, she sleeps with open. Haha! So cute! I like seeing her this way. I never really had the fantasy of having my special someone sleep so peacefully with a smile and all that crap those advertisements and CFs portray (again, waking up my sisters in the morning shattered that image for me).

This. This look on Seo Joohyun’s face is the real thing. I don’t care if she looks so unkempt because it is during this unguarded moment that I get to see her vulnerable and human side, far from the picture perfect serious image she portrays onscreen. I imagined how I could fall asleep and wake up to the same sight every day for the rest of my life. I felt my cheeks hurt from smiling too much. Even the supposed CEOs and bigwigs around us seemed amuse. I whispered to them that we were newlyweds and they’d compliment how we look good together. Joohyun would flip when she hears of this but right now, I’d rather revel in the moment that my “wife” is sleeping soundly beside me.

Seo Joohyun sleeps like a log. She isn’t easily woken up by movements or sounds. I took out my notebook and phone. The melody and lyrics just came by naturally. I smiled every now and then, thinking how much the audience would respond to CNBLUE’s sudden shift of image – from lonely heartbroken rock stars, to lovesick ones. I could already picture the look on their faces. This is going to be one heck of a comeback. I thought of suggesting to release a mini-album first to simmer down the shock. Jonghyun and Minhyuk have some compositions so I guess that’s enough to fill the rest of the tracklist.

I tidied up my stuff and resumed our earlier sleeping position. With one last glimpse to the angel sleeping soundly beside me, I closed my eyes and drifted to dream land.

 

THIRD PERSON POV:

          Everyone on the plane (minus the people from the business class) was tuned in to the same channel – Yongseo. They have been watching the two since they arrived.

         

“NO!!! ANDWAE! Yah Seo Joohyun! Are you trying to kill me twice?! Do you know how much the GC scolded me when they found out about your mini escapades?! I thought my ears were going to fall out! What do you think will happen when they found out that the manager is having a good time in the business class while the artist he is supposed to be responsible for is being bugged by random strangers or worse, paparazzis?! I don’t want to lose my job! Now, go to your seat and just rest. I only have one request and that is if you leave me at peace in the economy class. You owe me that! Arasso?”

 

“Heenim’s acting is improving! Haha!” (Yuri)

 

          “They’re in the economy class.”

“Same issue. I insisted we swap seats, but he got angry saying the GC scolded him so much for allowing me to wander around without a bodyguard and he might really lose his job if they find out that he placed me in the economy class. I didn’t argue with him. I caused him much trouble lately. He even warned me not to visit him in the economy class because he wants his peace and rest.”

          “Hmm..funny. the boys and Shindong hyung said the same thing…I’m sorry about Heenim getting scolded but I’m glad he didn’t take up your offer to swap seats.”

          The audience suddenly felt nervous as they recognized the look of suspicion flash before the couple’s eyes.

          “Waah! What if they come here?!” (Lee Joon)

          “Are your disguises ready?! Palli!” (Tiffany)

          Everyone took their “disguises” from the day be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter