EPILOGUE

Redefining Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Our story consists of 3 parts – the beginning, middle, and another beginning.

What is love? Love is simply us. There’s no other definition that comes close to that. How do you know when you’re in love? It takes time, patience, acceptance, and understanding. All of those factors have to come in full circle in order for the realization to sink in.

We finally understood this phenomenon that everyone’s been raving about. The thing about romance which swept the entire world by its feet despite its rather unrealistic whim is the fact that the journey feels worthwhile (regardless of the end result).

We weren’t able to experience being in a relationship at our age because we were so adamant on waiting for The One. We wanted our first to be our last. We experienced heartbreak along the way (the misunderstandings and wrong timing), but we know it’s part of the package.

Love isn’t just about the butterflies and giddy feelings someone is able to elicit from you. Love is both a noun and a verb. You can’t just give it a definition and not work on it. Just as Erich Fromm said,

“Love is a decision. It is a judgment, it is a promise.  If love were only a feeling, there would be no basis for the promise to love each other forever. A feeling comes and it may go.”

Now that we’ve had our romantic cliché, we did get the answers to our questions. We are part of those who are blessed with a happily ever after. Love did come…somewhere in the rain..it’s like meeting and falling for each other during summer: the time of fun, possibilities, and the in between of our lives..and then the rain came to remind us that it’s not just roses and butterflies. We had to hold each other’s hand to overcome these hurdles, which in turn, made our love and our bond stronger.

True love is indeed once in a lifetime. In each other, we found that one special person who captured not only our hearts but our entire beings. We made a vow that we would never let each other go. We can no longer let our pride and stupidity get in the way. We’ve been there, done that. Not just once, but twice. A third time isn’t necessary.

Ours is not an ordinary love story…or maybe at the same time, it still is. We learned to forgive and to overcome our fears, all in the name of love. It was winter..cold as it seemed, but we were determined not to let our hearts be frozen. Instead, we chose to fall.

The question that we raised when we first got together was this: how do you go from YOU, and ME, to US? Simple. You take the leap of faith, and red

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter