CHAPTER 35 THE GRAND SERENADE

Redefining Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

HIS POV:

 

            I’m mad. Angry. Furious. Pissed as hell. I didn’t bother hiding it as I reluctantly followed through with their orders. Of all the days, why do they have to schedule this stupid birthday concert today?! I’ve never done this in my entire career as the leader and main vocalist of CNBLUE! Why now?!

            “Stop scowling, Yong. Be cheerful! It’s your 28th birthday! How can you be so grumpy?” Shindong hyung teased me. I’m not in the mood to play around right now. There’s nothing funny or amusing about this at all.

            “What time will the concert end?!” I demanded.

            “I’m not sure…if the crowd asks for an encore…”

            “THERE WILL BE NO ENCORE!” I said. I have to stick to that.

            “Ok, ok, chill. I was just thinking of the possibility of one. Maybe around 9 or 10pm?”
           

            “WHAT?! This isn’t even a CN concert! 2-3 hours?! NO!”


            “YES! You have no say in this Jung Yonghwa. If you want to finish this early, then be a good sport and do this properly.”

            “Fine.” I muttered as I got out of the van and made my way backstage.

An hour has passed and I only have one more left to endure this thing. I’m enjoying this event somehow. I wasn’t expecting some of my friends and family to be here. Even the GC are in complete attendance. That’s odd? Leeteuk hyung was MCing this event. I made my way towards the farthest end of the stage, the one that’s closest to the audience.

            “and now let’s give it up for the birthday boy…JUNG YONGHWA!”

            That’s my cue to begin my song, but just as I was adjusting my ear piece, the entire venue turned black. I could hear the crowd whispering and then suddenly, the place was filled with defeaning silence. Where are they? Did they leave? Why isn’t anyone speaking? Should I walk? I can’t see a thing! Just then, the LED screens lit up and I was staring into the face of the girl who captured my heart.

Hi, boy I've been way too shy

I'm glad that you gave it a try

And asked for my name and my number

We went out to lunch, I said let's

Eat some cucumbers

She filmed a music video? If that wasn’t enough to make me smile, seeing her play the guitar as she sang the lines which our friends, along with their significant others, re-enacted, really made my cheek bones ascend to heaven.

Why, did I say that

I don't know why

But I feel like I just want to hide

But you say it's okay that I'm funny

Boy we were made like PB & Jelly

I kept laughing as I watched Jonghyun and Taeyeon as well as Jungshin and Sooyeon ‘forcefully’ act as the music video’s main couples. Just then, the smoke machine came to life. My attention drifted to the center of the stage which now opened up as a platform was ascending from it. Wait…am I seeing this clearly?! Seo Joohyun?! Standing in the middle of that platform? Singing and playing the guitar live?! LIVE?! She’s here?! But I thought she has a schedule to attend to in Japan at this time?! Is this a dream?

I don't know why

I'm drawn to you

I guess opposites attract, 1+1 = 2

And this is all based on a lucky chance

That you would rather add then subtract

I was still trying to convince myself that this isn’t a dream when I noticed her nod as she looked at the left side of the stage. Suddenly all of our friends joined in and danced to what I assume is the song’s chorus.

You & I

Could be like Sonny and Cher

Honey and bears

You & I

Could be like Aladdin and Jasmine

Lets make it happen, like

Lalala la la la

            I kept laughing because of the overly cute outfits they wore. Some of them disappeared again to the backstage while Krystal and Minhyuk ran up to me and pointed to one side of the audience section. Joohyun continued to sing while the audience performed a beautiful hand mime presentation that obviously coincided with the lyrics.

Hey, I've been thinkin'

'bout you all this time

And you're in my dreams when I

Close my eyes

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter