CHAPTER 33 YOU ARE MY LOVE LIGHT

Redefining Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

HIS POV:

 

            They’ve been ignoring me. I keep asking for their suggestions but they wouldn’t participate.

            “Guys! I’m sorry. It’s not that I didn’t want to leave you out…I just…I’m sorry. Please don’t be mad.” I begged. The day after that “prom night date,” they found out about it because they saw the car while my bandmates and her unnies also saw the clothes we wore. It didn’t take them a long time to put two and two together.

            I know they weren’t really angry and that they’re just doing this to torture me.

            “GUYS! Please! Don’t ignore me anymore. You win! Please! Help me! Please!” this was such an unmanly gesture but I think it worked because all of them burst out laughing.

            “Arasso. We were just messing with you. If you wanted your privacy with our maknae, you could’ve just told us and we’d leave you alone.” Taeyeon said but based on her expression, I knew she meant otherwise.

            “Really?” I asked them back. They looked at each other and laughed.

            “No.” (Sooyoung, Jessica)
            “Of course not!” (Hyoyeon, Yuri)

            “That’s why you made the right choice by keeping that date of yours a secret. Anyway, let’s move on. What do you plan on doing this time?” (Tiffany)

            “I’m going to serenade her.” I confidently said but the responses I got weren’t exactly what I expected.

            “Serenade?! Hahahaha! What kind of an ancient term is that, Yong? You could’ve just said, ‘I’m going to sing her a song.’ What’s with the ‘I’m going to serenade her?’” (Lee Joon)

            “What’s with your obsession with that word? Seohyun said the same thing!” (Jungshin)

            “What?! Did anybody tell her what I’m planning?!” I panicked. The others were too busy reprimanding Jungshin for some unknown reason.

            “No. How could we when we only heard about this now? Jungshin chingu meant that Seohyun’s into songs these days and she recently watched some movie where the guy sang to her or something.” (Yoona)

            “What movie?” I asked suspiciously.

            “High School Musical.” (Hyoyeon)

            “What? There’s a lot of singing involved in those movies!” Hyoyeon defended. Never mind. Time to move on and tell them the plan.

            “I actually want her to hear this song before anyone else did but I need your help so…anyway, I’ve been writing this song for a long time. I’ve had the melody stuck in my head for a few years and the lyrics followed right after. I just completed writing it last night. It’s called Love Light. So uh.. here goes..”

            I sang the song as they listened intently. It’s been almost a minute since I finished my mini-performance and they haven’t said anything. I was beginning to feel worried.

            “Uh..is it…is the song that bad? Did I overdo it? Were the lyrics not good enough? Should I just remove the rap part? Or was it the melody that’s the problem? Or…the whole song itself? Can one of you please start saying something? Anything?”

            “There’s…there’s nothing wrong. It’s already perfect. Everything about the song is…the lyrics, rap, and even the melody are great. I think we just need to work on the instrumental. Is that why you called us here?” (Tiffany)

            “Yes. I need your help with that. I need help with the arrangement and background vocals and music. As much as possible I think it’s best if we keep this a laidback, mellow, and sweet love song…no electric guitars or so. Just light acoustic stuff.”

            We started working on the song. Later on we decided to head over to our agency so we could record the music and practice better with the instruments. It didn’t take long before we all started arguing.

            “I think I should sing these parts and then maybe Jungshin or Yonghwa hyung could do the rap and join in later in the chorus.” Jonghyun commented. He was so engrossed in the music he forgot that we weren’t recording this for CNBLUE’s album yet but we’re here to practice for my event. I was going to complain but as usual, someone was faster than I was.

            “I think that idea would sound great if you are to release this as a single for your band, NOT right now when Yonghwa called us over here to practice for that event of his. Aren’t you taking this way too seriously Lee Jong?” (Taeyeon)

            “Right. I forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me.” Jonghyun said. There’s this weird pink aura between the two. We proceeded to practice until I called cut.

            “STOP! Just stop! This doesn’t sound right! Guys, your instruments are too loud. This isn’t a rock concert! The girls..how do I say this, but Taeyeon-ah, I’m sorry but SNSD’s harmonization .”

            “MWOH?!” (SNSD)

            Uh, I think I may have gone too far with that comment. They didn’t back down and started attacking me. I knew it. I should’ve been more careful with my choice of words. These girls, no matter how innocent, demure and lady-like they appear, aren’t to be messed with.

            “Who are you to talk about harmonization Jung Yonghwa?! Just in case you forgot, there are way better singers with wider vocal ranges among our group than yours!” (Taeyeon)

            “Try singing with 7 different people and see if you can manage to blend in without making the rest of the group sound horrible!”  (Tiffany)

            “Yah, come here you Jung Yong, also the rest of you! Why don’t we pick a song and ask you guys to sing it. Make sure your harmonization skills are up to par!” (Jessica)

            “What do you know about harmonization when you sing most of the lines in CNBLUE’s songs with ocassional features by Jonghyun here and there?” (Sunny)
           

            “Hey!” (Jonghyun)

            I realized I had to sacrifice myself and get in the middle of this before the rest of them starts to ramble those music jargons.

            “I apologize! I’m really sorry. I went overboard. I didn’t mean it that way. I just…can you sing in a different key and try to minimize overpowering my voice? Please? I’m sorry. I really didn’t mean to offend you.”

            We resumed our rehearsal and it went on for the rest of the afternoon. We only had a day to practice

            “Wait. Yong. How are you going to serenade Seohyun? You said you wanted to do this the conventional way. How would you do that? You going to hire some of those trucks or construction lifting machines?”  (Sunny)

            “I know! We have to get her to sleep at her parents’ house! Her bedroom window is the perfect one for this. We can set up the other things down their garden.” (Krystal)

            “And then one of the guys should get up the roof and throw in flower petals or so, just as we all suggested earlier. You do it, Joon.” (Yuri)

            “ME?! Why would I risk my life climbing someone else’s roof just to sprinkle some petals?!” (Joon)

            “Because the rest of them are holding instruments and you can’t expect any of us to climb up there.” (Yuri)

            “Argh! Fine! I’ll install that stupid machine.”

            “How would you convince Joohyun to stay at her parents’ house?” I asked them.

            “Oh. Leave that to us. We’ll talk to imo and samchon. That won’t be a problem.” They all reassured me. I just have to wait until the 9th day…

 

HER POV:

 

            My appa and umma are acting weird. First was the dramatic phone call. I thought there was something serious that happened but when I got here they said they just wanted to spend some time with me. I didn’t even finish my schedule because I was so worried. As soon as I rushed here, all they had to tell me was that they missed me? Something’s strange. We finished eating dinner and the two of them kept telling me to go prepare myself and take some sleep.

            “Appa, umma, why are you doing this? It’s only 7:00pm and you’re asking me to go to bed already? Even my high school bedtime was 9:00pm. What exactly is going on?”

            “Nothing. Now go ahead, brush your teeth and freshen up.”

            “Huh? But don’t you want to spend some family time together? Like play a game of Monopoly Deal or watch a movie? Isn’t that why you called me over here? because you missed me?”

            “Of course, Joohyun-ah but we know how busy you have been these days and we think you need more time to rest.”

            I didn’t even get to say anything else as the two of them practically shoved me to my old bedroom and do as they ordered me to. After the very early evening/pre-bedtime rituals, I got out of the bathroom and saw my umma waiting for me, with that mysterious smile on her face.

            “I already picked out your pajamas sweetie! Now, change into this and then we’d go and fix your hair and maybe a little makeup.”
           

            “But aren’t I going to bed? What’s wrong with what I’m wearing now?” I said as I pointed to my favorite jogging pants and oversized sweatshirt.

            “It’s…uh…Joohyun-ah, I just..i miss doing these things for you – picking out your bedtime clothes, styling your hair, and everything else. It feels like you’re growing up way too fast and soon enough I’m going to have to let you go..” ok so why is my umma starting to be all emotional now?

            “Umma…are you..are you experiencing pre-menopausal symptoms?”

            That earned me a smack on the arm.

            “Aigoo this girl! Why are you asking me about that? Now go ahead and change into this pretty pink pajamas. Palli!”

            O…k….? I did as I was told. For the next half hour, I just let my umma do whatever she wanted to do with my hair and even if I found it odd how she insisted to apply light makeup on my face, I didn’t complain. This mother-daughter bonding moment seems out of place but oh well. Appa came in later and the two of them tucked me in bed.

            “Our little girl has grown up. She’s a lady now. I can’t. I don’t even know why I feel like crying again.” my appa said.

            “Yah, we’re having our roles reversed again. Come on, let’s go. Our baby needs her rest. Goodnight, Joohyun-ah. We love you.”

            “I love you too appa, umma. Goodnight?” I said the last word tentatively. There’s still something with the way they smiled at me but I didn’t have much time to think about it as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter