CHAPTER 17 A PRELUDE TO THE ‘FUTURE’: HELLO BABY

Redefining Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

HELLO BABY

HER POV:

          “Anyeonghasaeyo, EXO imnida! 1,2,3. We are ONE!”

          The 12 members of EXO greeted us as soon as we entered the “house.” They were preparing to celebrate Kyungsan’s first birthday. As they will be busy roaming around the city for the venue, food, and other stuff, Yong oppa and I will fill in their duties as a “mom and dad” (as what my unnies, PDs, and everyone else says) though I personally prefer the term “babysitters.”

          D.O. was the one who taught us almost everything we have to know – from the proper scoop of the baby formula, changing the diapers, how to burp the baby, and more. Wow. This kid would make one great father someday. How can he know so much at that age? Even s for being the “umma&appa” at the same time. We thanked him for all the help and the 12 of them left to attend to their business.

          I looked at the bassinet where the 11 month old Kyungsan slept peacefully. According to EXO, Kyungsan has just slept so we have another hour or two to waste around before he wakes up.

          “He’s really beautiful, isn’t he?”

            “Yes.”

            “I wonder how OUR baby would look like someday. Regardless of that, I will love them unconditionally because they are OUR kids.”

            WHAT?! Judging from the wishful tone of his voice, he isn’t kidding. How did he go from “baby” (singular) to “kids” (plural)?? And why does he keep on emphasizing the word “OUR?” OMG. Am I blushing so soon?! I could feel the staff and Kyungsan’s parents (yes, they were always present during filmings of this show) smile giddily. They’re enjoying this too much.

          “Uh…I…. I think I should prepare some breakfast. Have you eaten already?”

            That’s right. Change subject!

          “Nah. I was too excited to spend the day with you.”

            AHHHH!!! HELPP!!! He’s doing it again!

          “I’ll just go to the kitchen. Watch over him for me.”

            I ran off without waiting for his answer.

 

HIS POV:

 

          I know. This smile hasn’t left my face since Hyun ran off to do something in the kitchen. Playing house isn’t so bad after all. I carried the bassinet over to where Hy~un was. Her back was facing me as she was preparing something in the sink (some Ma shake and healthy sandwiches). The sight was just too beautiful. Here I am, sitting at the dining table, our “son” was sleeping peacefully beside me, as my “wife” prepares our meal. I could feel my grin stretch wider and the staff enjoying this atmosphere.

          One of the staff accidentally dropped something, and the sound startled Kyungsan. Kyungsan began to cry and I woke up from my daydream. How do you carry a baby again? I was only five when Krystal was born and I haven’t had time to practice this stuff. Hyun turned around and said,

          “Oppa, please carry him. I’m just finishing this up.”

            I didn’t have much time to react. I was in full mode panic. What did D.O. say again? Support the head and body? But how? My hands were shaking as I tried to lift Kyungsan from the crib. I managed to support his head and body but it felt like I was holding him the wrong way. His cries grew louder and I could feel him slipping from my grasp. Hyun turned around and was horrified by what she saw.

          “OPPAAAA! Stop fidgeting so much! You’re scaring him! Let me just wash my hands quickly.”

            She was beside me in less than 15 seconds.

          “This is not the way you hold a baby. Weren’t you listening to D.O. awhile ago? Aigoo. Poor Kyungsan. Your Yong appa must’ve scared you a lot, eh? Come.”

            Kyungsan had tears in his eyes as he reached out to Hyun, who took him into her arms with such ease and comfort.

          “There, there, now. Ssshhh.. It’s ok. Yong appa is new to this. He didn’t mean to hurt you. Kyungsan-ah, smile! Peek-a-boo! Hahaha! There! See! You are so handsome when you smile!

            Did she just say “Yong APPA?” I can feel my heart bursting from so much joy! Hahaha!

            “Appa? So you’re his umma? I thought you said you preferred the term “baby sitters.””

            She look flustered for awhile and hurriedly made up a funny lie to cover what she said.

          “Oppa. I said, Yong OPPA.”

            I tried so hard not to laugh. I knew I was still smiling and that I should let this go, but seeing her like that is so cute.

          “Only girls address older guys as “oppa.” Kyungsan is a boy. The proper term would be “hyung.” You can’t take it back, Hy~un!!! You said Yong APPA, TWICE! I’m his appa today and you’re his umma!!”

            “Choding!!!” she said to me. Kyungsan began to cry again so her attention was back to him. “Oh? You’re hungry? Arasso. Let me prepare your milk.”

            She knew better than to disprove my claim that’s why that’s the only thing she can say in response. I could feel her relief when the baby started crying again and was seemingly hungry. At least that gave her a way out of this situation. She held Kyungsan in one arm as she prepared his milk in the other. She moved with such fluidity and effort that I am left amazed. She set the bottle to his mouth and the baby didn’t waste time to drink. Since he is already 11 months, he can hold his own bottle. Hyun set up our breakfast and sat down once she was finished. As she ate some bread while holding Kyungsan in her arms, I watched intently. It was such a beautiful sight. I felt my heart just stop and I was given a glimpse to the future, OUR future. She noticed my state, tilted her head to one side, as she said,

          “Aren’t you going to eat oppa? Don’t tell me I have to feed this to you. See! Even Kyungsan can hold his own bottle!”

          Her laughter, the sight of Kyungsan being held in her arms, the meal we are about to share, the house setup…everything! I smiled like a fool as I said,

          “I didn’t think it was possible.”

            She looked at me with a puzzled expression as she asked, “Huh? You didn’t think what was possible?”

            “To see our future in front of me right now – you, me, our baby, this house…everything. This is even better than what I imagined. This is like a prelude to the real thing, and it makes my heart flutter so much.”

 

HER POV:

 

          I was halfway done with the food when I heard Kyungsan’s cries. I turned around and asked Yong oppa to carry him. I proceeded with what I was doing when I heard Kyungsan cry louder. I turned around again only to see Yong oppa struggling to keep the baby from slipping. I didn’t even bother hiding my fear and shock. Does he expect to keep the baby still with the way he is holding him like that?!

          “OPPAAAA! Stop fidgeting so much! You’re scaring him! Let me just wash my hands quickly.”

          I rushed to his side immediately and took Kyungsan.

“This is not the way you hold a baby. Weren’t you listening to D.O. awhile ago? Aigoo. Poor Kyungsan. Your Yong appa must’ve scared you a lot, eh? Come. There, there, now. Ssshhh.. It’s ok. Yong appa is new to this. He didn’t mean to hurt you. Kyungsan-ah, smile! Peek-a-boo! Hahaha! There! See! You are so handsome when you smile!”

            From the corner of my eye, I could see Yong oppa smiling so much. What’s so funny?

          “Appa? So you’re his umma? I thought you said you preferred the term “baby sitters.””

          Did I really say that?! That slipped! Ugh! Since when did he have such sensitive hearing?? Must deny the truth.

          “Oppa. I said, Yong OPPA.”

            I emphasized the word “OPPA” hoping that he’d drop the subject so we could move on. However, he thought otherwise. He was holding back his laughter when I realized the mistake of what I said. Kyungsan is a baby boy. A BOY! How could I have forgotten that?!

          “Only girls address older guys as “oppa.” Kyungsan is a boy. The proper term would be “hyung.” You can’t take it back, Hy~un!!! You said Yong APPA, TWICE! I’m his appa today and you’re his umma!!”

          “CHODING!!!” that was the only thing I could reply. The rest of the staff was clearly enjoying this. I can only imagine the horror of having to watch this episode with our friends and my unnies.

I was busy eating but the guy in front of me seemed to have forgotten his senses somewhere in dreamland. I admit that his stare and smile is making me feel uncomfortable and giddy (?) at the same time so I have to try and break him from his day dream.

“Aren’t you going to eat oppa? Don’t tell me I have to feed this to you. See! Even Kyungsan can hold his own bottle!”

He didn’t respond. He kept that silly grin on his face and it only grew wider.

“I didn’t think it was possible.”

The silly grin + wishful tone + that look in his eyes + opening line = DISASTER FOR ME. Please don’t let this be one of his cheesy lines that makes my heart beat faster…please…please…please….

            I tried to maintain my cool as I asked him,

 “Huh? You didn’t think what was possible?”

            “To see our future in front of me right now – you, me, our baby, this house…everything. This is even better than what I imagined. This is like a prelude to the real thing, and it makes my heart flutter so much.”

ANDASDKFNAFNSJFLDFJDSFJSDJFKLSDFJSDFSDK!!!! He’s done it again! There’s no escaping it this time. I kept my mouth shut and continued eating my meal in silence. I think my tomato colored face can attest to the fact that his line has affected me in every way possible.

 

 

HIS POV:

          I’m on diaper duty. It took me several tries to get it right because I was too busy being mesmerized by her. Kyungsan fell asleep again.

          We were on opposite sides of the bed, Kyungsan sleeping peacefully in our midst. She was looking at him and his cheek while I was looking at her and dreaming how I could wake up to this every morning.

          “How did you become so good at this? Back in high school you wouldn’t even get near our teacher’s kids whenever they visit. You’re always on the far end, with Tiffany and my sister, just waving and occasionally playing with the baby, but never carrying them.”

            She smiled a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter