CHAPTER 3 CATCHING UP

Redefining Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“When we were in high school, we felt like we’re on top of the world – that everything was just within reach, and all our dreams would be fulfilled. When you graduate and real life starts kicking in, you’d realize that the dreams you once had would change, not necessarily for the worse, but just different from what you thought.  Everything and everyone goes through the process of growing up. People might change but one thing remains the same – our friendship & sisterhood would last forever.”

 

HER POV:

            Everybody else has come over and congratulated me for the win. Even Jessica, Yuri, Yoona, and Sunny unnies already called and texted (through Taeyeon unnie of course since I just gave them my recent number).

Despite being in the same competition, our paths never really crossed. We don’t really have an idea who made it to the Top100 until this final day when the rankings have been released. I knew that he was looking at me and I tried my best not to look his way. It’s almost an hour and he still hasn’t said a thing to me. Why am I so affected?

            “The win is long overdue Hyunnie. Still, congratulations! I’m so happy you’re finally back! Are you here for good?” (Tiffany)

            “Thanks unnie! I’m also happy to be back. I think I’ll be staying awhile. I’m kinda obligated to, if you know what I mean.”

            “So, the GA? I never thought you’d audition for this again. Where, how, and why did you join?”  (Hyoyeon)

            “This whole GA thing was a spur of the moment decision. My roommates Amber and Victoria unnie thought it was fun to send in my application without my knowledge. I thought we were going on a road trip but they just dropped me off somewhere in LA, without any cash on hand, and some file tucked in my bag.

Turns out I passed the first round and I was scheduled for my official audition that day. I was so mad but because I was also hungry and that participating in the GA guarantees free lunch, I had no choice. The rest, as they all say, is history.”

            “Wow. Looks like we all did this for fun! Tiffany and I auditioned as a singing duo. The mentors refused but we didn’t leave the stage and even locked the entire auditorium until they finally agreed to let us perform. What can we say? Our amazing skills got us in!” (Taeyeon)

            “Sooyoung and I did the same thing, but a dance & rap battle. We didn’t lock the doors, though. We just handcuffed the mentors to their seats and refused to give the key until they agreed. Just like the rest, we passed.”

            “WHAT?! How can you do that unnies?!”

            “For fun! Our motto for the month was YOLO and the GA thing happened, so why not give it a shot but put our twists to the traditional auditions?” (Sooyoung)

            “Why didn’t Yuri, Yoona, Jessica, and Sunny unnie join too?”

            “Oh they’ve got their hands full with their careers already, while the 4 of us were bored and wanted to do something fun. Besides, it was our turn to do the YOLO thing. So it’s a win-win.” (Tiffany)

            I was about to say something next when I felt a person yank my arm and pull me down with him. Ugh. My head hurts. I opened up my eyes to see the person responsible for all of this when his gaze met mine.

I think my heart just went on flat line. I was face to face with the guy I avoided for the past 6 years and 45 minutes. I felt his grip become tighter and my mind just when blank. I heard him say, “uh…hi?” before shifting his gaze to our “audience.”

Only when I heard the clicks of the cameras and phones did I realize how awkward our position must’ve been. Those stupid YONGSEO!!! cheers from our dear friends resurfaced. Why now and why am I still so affected by it? We are not even friends anymore!

We scrambled to our feet but bumped our heads as we tried to stand up at the same time.

"Sorry!"

"Omoo! They even speak at the same time with the same word!" (Tiffany)

"It is customary to apologize in situations like this, so it's not a big deal if we said the same thing, unnie." 

I snapped. Be professional, you can do this. Try to act as if you don’t know him. Don’t be cold. Be the exact opposite. Change the game. I turned towards him with that concerned look on my face as I asked (in the most polite way I could),

“Are you okay? Does it hurt somewhere? I’m so sorry, Yonghwa-sshi. My weight must’ve added to the burden. Are you sure you’re fine or do we need to call the medics?”

From the moment I said his name formally, I saw the hurt in his eyes. I could feel everyone staring at us, particularly, me. I usually argue with the other person first before apologizing even if it’s my fault. I know, I know. I used to love rationalizing my way out of messy situations.

“Hey guys! We better get going! You still have to attend your first meeting with the Grand Council! C’mon! Hurry up!”

            I turned my back and began to follow our mentor, JYP towards the conference room. The rest of the crowd followed suit.

            The first meeting lasted shorted than I thought. I bid my unnies goodbye. I was getting my car keys from my bag when I felt someone (or perhaps 2 people?) cover my mouth and eyes. I tried to put those taekwondo lessons to use but it seems like the “kidnappers” also knew a bit (ok, a lot) of self-defense as they countered my “attack.”

I felt myself pushed into a van (how cliché) and it sped off as soon as the doors were closed. After what seems to be a 10 minute fast drive, I was feeling nauseous. I tried once more to escape but with so many people holding you back and being blindfolded, I failed.

It’s a shame that I even have that black belt hung proudly at home when I couldn’t even use it when I needed it the most. I didn’t want to cry. That’s such a waste of energy. I thought I heard giggles as I was led into another room. I could smell the fragrant aroma and heaved a sigh of relief with the knowledge that at least these creeps didn’t bring me to an abandoned warehouse.

            “We are going to untie you. Don’t try anything funny. We don’t want to hurt you anyway. Just ask a few questions.”

            Whoever that person is, he/she used some low quality voice modulator because my ear hurt from the constant static. I heard some nag another person to turn his/her cellphone off which was the main cause of the glitch.

            I was forced to sit in a rather soft sofa (?) as someone else took away the blindfold. I squinted my eyes and tried to readjust to the surroundings. Turns out I was seated in the middle of the room. I fought the urge to laugh as soon as I recognized my “abductors.”

            I felt like a criminal being questioned. What’s up with that dangling light bulb and the police uniform costumes? Really. Six years and some things never change.

“Seo Joohyun! You have a lot of explaining to do!”  

I looked up to see 8 beautiful faces staring back at me, with, what I presume, their version of a “glare.” I stifled my laugh and just gave in to the role play. I was about to explain my side when 7 of them began their signature barrage of questions.

“Where have you been all this time? Why didn’t you tell us you were leaving?!” (Taeyeon)

“Yah maknae! How can you b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter