The Taste

The Normal Life

 

[Ye In’s P.O.V]

 

I walk lifelessly to the class feeling very tired because I really feel lazy today. When I walk in the class, I see that Myoungjae is sitting at my place and Yongbin had been waiting for me with the cutest smile on his face. All these while, I never feel nervous with his smile, why am I feeling nervous now?

 

I walk to the seat next to Yongbin and quickly put my head on the table, staring at Yongbin who is staring at me. I close my eyes, trying to tell him that I’m very tired and he pat me on my back. I open my eyes and I can see him trying to suppress his laughter. Is there anything funny?

 

“What’s so funny?” I ask. He just smile and try not to laugh to answer my question.

 

“Because... huh… you’re always tired when you go to school.” The he burst out laughing. I don’t get why is he laughing so hard right now. I mean if I’m never not tired, then it won’t be weird for me to do this, right?

 

“What’s so funny then?” I ask again.

 

“They all just said that once you came, you’ll be telling everyone that you’re tired so when what they said really happen, Yongbin just can’t help but to laugh.” Haneul who is already next to me said. I realized that my face turns red embarrassed with what she just said.

 

“Oppa… you shouldn’t laugh.” I said to Yongbin, and he stop laughing. I close my mouth with my hand and got shocked. I can’t believe I just called him ‘oppa’ and our date end yesterday. No one knows about me calling him ‘oppa’.

 

“Oppa?” Myoungjae ask from far away.

 

“You heard it wrong, I said ‘nappa’.” I said still blushing.

 

“I’m not deaf, I clearly hear you say ‘oppa’.” Myoungjae say again.

 

“Myoungjae, you’re over there, the last row, I’m on the second row. You heard it wrongly.” I said defending myself. Haneul smile looking at me, she’s next to me, of course she heard me right. Myoungjae scratch his head trying to figure out what he heard again.

 

“I heard her say ‘nappa’” Haneul said defending me. Oh how I wish to hug her but that will make everything so obvious then. I look at her and try to mouth ‘thank you’ and she just hug me tightly.

 

“See, you’re deaf.” Yongbin said defending me too. I feel so powerful over Myoungjae now.

 

I look around to find Hyungseok who had been bothering me for almost a week about showing his new hair color. It’s not like I can’t see it on his cyworld, but he insisted on showing it to me, ‘more real’ he said. I actually purposely make myself busy to torture him. I’m good, right?

 

“Minjun-ah, where’s Hyungseok?” I ask Minjun.

 

“Didn’t you see him? He waited for you at the school gate to show you his hair color.” Minjun said. I called Hyungseok phone to ask him about where he is.

 

“Hyungseok, where are you?”

 

“I’m at the… school gate?” That’s more like a question than a statement.

 

“Where is the school gate?” I ask.

 

“The… near the café?” He said confused.

 

“You never really enter through the school gate, right? Why do you have to climb the fence even when you’re not late?” I ask walking to the café.

 

“Because it makes me look cool and all girls will fall for me.” He said.

 

“Wait for me there, I go find you.” I end the conversation and run to the school gate. While running there, I’m convinced I saw someone that look exactly like Jun Young. Or maybe my eyes are tricking me?

 

I run to the café where Hyungseok is waiting. Actually, it’s math time right now. Rather than learning with the teacher, I find it easier for me to learn everything by myself. She doesn’t really know how to teach. She knows how to scold people more. I bet Minjun, Myoungjae, Haneul and Yongbin are not in class too. I bet she already forgot about us being in the class since we’d never been in it before.

 

“YE IN AHH!!” I look to my right seeing Hyungseok running towards me. He hug me tightly and let me go right after, showing off his hair.

 

“Yeah yeah, you have nice hair.” I said not really interested with his hair. He follow me to the school garden and we join the rest of our friends. As always Minjun will be sleeping on the bench with Yongbin’s lap as his pillow. They’re very close with each other. Is Hyungseok a loner then? I know he’s always with Minjun, but Minjun is closer to Yongbin though. Hyungseok is… wait, he’s closer to me. Then, I’m a loner too?

 

“Why are you a loner?” I ask Hyungseok.

 

“I’m not, I’m always with you.” He said holding my hand.

 

“Then, why am I a loner?” I ask.

 

“Yah babo, if you’re always with me, and I’m always with you, how are we a loner? Then, is Yongbin and Minjun are loner? Both of them are always together, both of them, two people. Are they a loner?” He asks.

 

“They are not, they are close friends.” I said, I think that sounds stupid but it’s true.

 

“Babo Ye In, then are we not close friend?” He asks me again.

 

“But you are a loner.” I said.

 

“You are a loner too.” He said sticking his tongue out and joins Yongbin and Minjun. Yongbin smile to him, leaving me ALONE.