29

I think I love you

 

4minute dorm right after the boys left

Jiyoon closed the door and sighed sonorously letting herself slide down until she touched the floor. The members were looking at her strangely. She wasn’t in the mood for anything so she let them…

‘Unnie, what is happening between you and Junhyung-oppa?’ finally Hyuna asked frowning.

‘What? Why are you asking me that?’ Jiyoon scoffed rolling her eyes.

Hyuna frowned a little more. ‘I’ve noticed unnie and oppa are becoming really close…’

‘Hyuna…’ Jiyoon started but was interrupted.

‘Why don’t you tell us the truth?’ Hyuna exploded.

‘What do you want me to say?’ Jiyoon got defensive.

‘The truth!’ demanded Hyuna raising her voice.

Jiyoon sighed. ‘Nothing is going on between Junhyung-oppa and me. I would never cheat on Sungkyu-oppa’

‘Then what was all that about?’ the rapper asked moving her arms.

Jiyoon jumped off the floor. ‘My boyfriend was about to punch my friend in the face, what was I supposed to do?’

4minute remained in a tense silence for a moment. Jiyoon looked at her friends one by one expecting more questions but, no one said a word.

Jiyoon sighed tiredly. ‘I’m going to rest…’ she said and dragged her feet to the bedroom. ‘Later…’

Once Jiyoon was out of sight, the members exchanged looks. They were all confused and preoccupied. Jiyoon had been acting rather strange lately and they’ve been wondering what was happening to her, but they were afraid to ask her…

‘I’m going to check if she’s ok’ said Gayoon decided to follow Jiyoon to the room.

When she entered, she saw her friend lying in her bed, not asleep but staring at the wall with a sad expression. She climbed the berth and cuddled beside Jiyoon.

‘Jiyoon-ah…’ Gayoon whispered while she caressed Jiyoon hair. ‘What is it…?’

Jiyoon remained silent for a moment and then she turned her body to face Gayoon.

‘Gayoon-nie…’ the charisma girl moved closer to her friend. ‘I think I’m a bad person…’

Gayoon got confused by this sudden statement. ‘Why?’

‘I think…’ she started but stopped. ‘Never mind…’

‘Jiyoon-nie, come on, you can tell me’

Jiyoon hesitated but then, she took a deep breath. ‘I think I’m starting to like Junhyung-oppa…, he is handsome and… he really cares for me and I like it… you know, the way he is always around and stuff…’ she said almost burying her face in the pillow.

Gayoon felt how her heart started to beat faster. ‘OMG!’ she thought in a flash. ‘That doesn’t make you a bad person…’ she said trying to maintain her voice stable.

‘Yes it does…’ Jiyoon said with teary eyes. ‘I have a boyfriend…’ her voice cracked a little at the end of the phrase.

Gayoon knew in that moment the reason why her friend was being acting strange; Jiyoon was confused by her new feelings for Junhyung and she knew she had to support her best friend no matter what. Gayoon looked with affection at the charismatic girl and touched her cheek.

‘You’re not a bad person’ she said cleaning the few tears Jiyoon had on her face. ‘You’re just confused…’

‘I’m not supposed to be confused’ whined the charisma girl.

‘Well, that is unfortunately not your choice, you can’t control your feelings, you can’t tell yourself “I’m not going to fall for that guy” because it simply doesn’t work that way…’

Jiyoon covered her face with her hands and remained silent for a minute or so. ‘I don’t know what I’m going to do…’ she finally said. ‘I mean, I love Sungkyu-oppa, I do’

‘I know…’ Gayoon said trying to put away Jiyoon’s hands.

‘But… we never see each other and… Junhyung-oppa is always there whether I’m happy or sad’

‘I know that too’

‘Gayoon-nie… what should I do?’ Jiyoon asked almost desperately. Gayoon remained silent, thinking… ‘This isn’t the first time Sungkyu-oppa gets mad because I travel too much…’

Gayoon seemed to be slapped out of her thoughts. ‘It is not?’ she asked with her eyes wide open.

Jiyoon shook her head. ‘At least two other times he had gotten frustrated because we can’t see each other…’

‘Why you didn’t tell us?’ Gayoon was hurt…

‘It wasn’t as bad as today…’ Jiyoon explained calmly. ‘It was more like a whine at first, and as the days passed by, his whine began to transform into pissed complains until the point they got today…’

Gayoon wasn’t pleased with what she just heard but decided not to say anything to aggravate Jiyoon’s mood. She took a deep breath and count to ten in her mind. ‘Think really hard about everything…’ she said trying to hide her annoyance. ‘You two have to try to solve this together, as a couple…’

‘I know…’ Jiyoon nodded looking serious, but then, she stared for a moment at her friend and then smiled. ‘Thanks…’

Gayoon got caught unguarded so she didn’t respond, she simply smiled back and nodded.

Jiyoon observed for a few seconds the silence of her best friend and then, caressed her cheek. ‘…I love you…’ she said from the bottom of her heart.

Gayoon looked surprise for a moment. ‘Yah! Pabo, you’re being cheesy!’ she said teasing. ‘…But I love you too…’

Jiyoon smiled satisfied and close her eyes tiredly, falling asleep easily. Gayoon stared at her sleeping friend for a brief moment before closing her eyes too and falling asleep as well.

---

Sungkyu on his way home

Sungkyu POV

‘This is ridiculous! Sungkyu, stop thinking that way! Jiyoon is not cheating on you! …Right?...’

I kept on thinking about that tiny gesture Jiyoon did to Junhyung…, it was almost like she likes him more than me… ‘Gosh, this is killing me…!’ I touched my chest at the feeling of growing pain intending to infect my thoracic zone.

I didn’t know where I was going anymore so I let my feet lead me to where ever they wanted to.

“You have any idea how many times she have cried on my shoulder for you?!” Those words kept on ringing in my head. “You’re no good for her! The only thing you do every time is hurt her!”

‘Am I really no good for her?’ I thought looking at the sky trying to hold some tears that were coming to my eyes. ‘The only thing I do is hurt her…?’

I leaned on a wall and let myself slide down until I touched the floor. ‘Why I didn’t notice that she was in pain?’

I buried my face on my hands. ‘I guess that brat is right… I’m not a good boyfriend… the only thing I do every time I talk to her is complain about how much I hate she travels so much… but the truth is… I really hate that she travels so much…’ I felt miserable at the instant I admitted that to myself… ‘Stupid Sungkyu… it’s her work…!’

How much I wished in that moment for a normal life with normal situations… ‘I knew this relationship was going to be difficult but damn, is worse than I thought…’ I took a deep breath and leaned my head back.

‘Why Jiyoon didn’t want to talk to me…?’ I thought looking at the sky. ‘What does she have to think about…? Is she thinking about breaking up with me?’ I panicked. ‘No, no, this is no good…’ I shook my head slowly. ‘We really need to talk…’

I took out my phone and opened it. Her beautiful smiling face popped on the screen. The simple view made my heart to shrink. I swallowed hard and opened the message editor. ‘Let’s meet tomorrow at 3 in the food court’ I wrote quickly but then, erase it all; I started to type again. ‘We really need to talk… Let’s meet tomorrow at 3 in the food court’ I looked at what I just write and shook my head. I erase it all again. ‘Gosh…’ I sighed..., my hands were shaking. ‘Calm down Sungkyu, is just a text message…’

After a couple of minutes of typing, erasing and retyping, I finally decided for one message.

‘Hi baby, are you still mad? Let’s meet tomorrow at 3 in the food court so we can talk properly. I’m sorry for today. I love you, don’t forget that’

I pressed the “send” button and immediately, I felt my heart beating faster at the thought of meeting Jiyoon the next day. ‘This night is going to be long…’

End POV

 

---

The next day

Food court

‘Hi’ said Jiyoon the moment she saw her boyfriend.

‘Hi…’ he said and stood up his chair to put a kiss on her lips. The kiss felt awkward for both…

‘I ordered your favorite’ he said sitting again and inviting her to sit too. She did and smiled at him.

‘Thank you’

A tense silence grew between the couple.

‘Jiyoon…’ Sungkyu called her name in a whisper. Jiyoon looked up expectant. ‘I’m sorry…, you know, yesterday at the phone…’

‘Yeah…, I’m sorry too…’ she said softly. ‘I shouldn’t have reacted like that…’

‘Yeah, me neither, is just-’ he started.

‘I know…’ Jiyoon interrupted. ‘But you have to understand that it’s my job…’

‘I know, and believe me, I tried, but… it still bothers me…’ the boy admitted.

The order came, chocolate ice cream for Jiyoon and vanilla ice cream for Sungkyu. The waitress immediately went away.

Jiyoon took a little of her ice cream and enjoyed the brief sensation of the flavor on . At least it was something sweet in this bitter day…

After a few seconds, she obligated herself to speak again. ‘Oppa…’ she called hesitating. Sungkyu moved his eyes from the ice cream to her. ‘What happened yesterday with you and Junhyung-oppa?’

The boy tightened his jaw; he didn’t expect that question. ‘We…’

‘Tell me the truth please…’

Sungkyu sighed. ‘We ran into each other by chance at the entrance of your building and immediately he attacked me saying he was going to kill me and all that…’ he made a little pause to see Jiyoon’s reaction. She was impassive, no signs of annoyance or surprise or anything to let him know what she was thinking. He continued. ‘I wasn’t in the mood to anything so I just avoided him and went to the elevator, but he followed me and then… he said something that get on my nerves so…’

‘So you would have punched him in the face if I didn’t stop you…’ she completed the sentence.

‘Well, that thing he said got really on my nerves’

‘What did he say?’ Jiyoon asked serious.

Sungkyu remained silent.

‘What did he say?’ the girl asked again, this time a little louder.

‘He said…’ he made a brief pause. ‘He said I wasn’t good for you… that I hurt you all the time…’

Jiyoon got surprised but didn’t say anything.

‘It is true?’ Sungkyu asked looking at his girlfriend in the eye. ‘That I hurt you all the time?’

Jiyoon didn’t reply at first, but then she spoke really softly. ‘Not all the time…’

Sungkyu wasn’t prepared for that, he felt like he was punched in the stomach. So Junhyung was right… he really wasn’t good for her… this thought brought Sungkyu the most painful feeling he’d ever experienced.

When the girl noticed the mutism of her boyfriend, she got worried. ‘…But is not like you are the only one hurting me, I’m sure I’ve hurt you too…’

Sungkyu hesitated for a second before reply. ‘Well… is more like I feel hurt about the fact that you travel all the time… and that we can never see each other…, not even when you’re home because our schedules cross every time…’

‘I got frustrated too…, and that is the main reason why I feel hurt…’ said Jiyoon looking at her melted ice cream in front of her.

‘What are we going to do…?’ Sungkyu asked tentatively.

Jiyoon sighed and looked at her boyfriend in the eye. ‘What do you think we should do…?’

The couple stared at each other for a few moments, both trying to find the answer at that question in the other.

‘I love you…’ the boy said and held her hand that was across the table.

She entwined her fingers with his. ‘I love you too but…this is getting…’

‘I know, complicated…’ he said letting his head fall onto the table. Jiyoon caressed his hair.

‘Yeah…’

Both remained like that for a couple of minutes. ‘Can I ask you something?’ Sungkyu asked in a whisper raising his head of the table.

‘Sure’

‘Promise me you’ll answer it with the truth’ he said serious.

Jiyoon got defensive. ‘You’re scaring me… Of course I will answer it with the truth’

‘What is going on between you and Junhyung?’ Sungkyu’s voice sounded deep and almost hurt.

‘Nothing is going on between him and me’ Jiyoon replied immediately. ‘I would never cheat on you’

At first the boy didn’t say anything; he simply looked inside his girlfriend’s eyes looking for any sign of lie.

‘You think I would cheat on you?’ she asked incredulous. ‘You think something is going on between Junhyung-oppa and me?’ she was starting to lose control over her voice.

‘I… No, is not that, is just… you two are so close…’ he explained.

‘He is my friend…’ she replied offended.

A flash of the memory of Jiyoon’s face when she looked at Junhyung with affection crossed Sungkyu’s mind. He knew that she wasn’t being completely honest with him. That kind of expression was the kind of expression that she used to give him, but now, she was giving it to another man… Sungkyu felt hurt by this thought, so he frowned trying to hide his emotions, but then Junhyung’s words popped in his mind… “You have any idea how many times she have cried on my shoulder for you?!”  The boy made connections in his brain and the result annoyed him. Junhyung was the one comforting her, holding her hand, hugging her, cleaning her tears… The idea of Jiyoon in this kind of situation with another man disgusted him.

‘I love YOU’ Jiyoon’s voice brought Sungkyu back to reality. ‘Please don’t imagine things…’

‘Was my imagination?’Thought the boy looking serious at his girlfriend.

‘Oppa, this isn’t taking us anywhere’ she said utter annoyed, Sungkyu could feel it and became more serious.

‘What do you wanna us do?’ he asked in a cold way.

Jiyoon got surprised by his tone. ‘Do you want this to end…?’ she asked hesitating.

‘No’ he responded immediately, but his tone didn’t change.

‘Me neither…’ she said looking down.

The boy observed at his girlfriend. She seemed to be really sad by the simple thought of breaking up; this gave him to understand that maybe he was wrong about the whole thing with Junhyung, may be it was his imagination…

‘Then let’s try again’ Sungkyu spoke softly this time. She looked up and her eyes sparkled. ‘Let’s give us another chance’

She nodded smiling. ‘I think my travels are going to end soon’

‘Then let’s see what happen in next weeks’ the boy said also smiling. She nodded again.

They both agreed in do as much as possible to see each other more often, at least two or three times a week while she is in Korea, and call or text when she is out.

‘My ice cream melted…’ Jiyoon said to change the mood a little. She looked amused at the cup in front of her and then, looked at her boyfriend.

‘Mine too’ Sungkyu said giggling and moving the spoon inside the creamy liquid.

The couple ended up eating the ice cream anyways and enjoying the rest of the day together like they hadn’t did it in a long time…

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone!

 
Sorry for the late update! I've been busy these days... but well, here I am, right? I really hope you guys liked this chapter :)

Thank you for reading!
 
Until the next time ^^

@Smartie13 Hi there! I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter. I hope you liked this too ^^. Thanks for reading and commenting! It means a lot to me :D