Chapter 33: Little Angel’s Home

Opposites Attract

 

 

================================================================

 

 

 

Kyungsoo slung his bag on his back as he turned to the head cook. “Ma’am, I’ll be going now. I’ll try to come back by 6.” Kyungsoo politely told the head cook with a bow.

 

“I don’t really mind if you come home later than 6. It’s Saturday anyway. You can go home anytime you want. And take care.” The head cook in her mid-40’s told Kyungsoo with a smile.

 

Kyungsoo nodded happily. “Thank you.” He said before finally leaving the kitchen.

 

Today was the anniversary of the orphanage where he came from. Little Angel’s Home. And it was his yearly routine to drop by. Sometimes, he cooks food for the children. Sometimes, he sings for them and he always plays with them.

 

*I wonder if they can still recognize me.* He thought as he was about to go out of the house but he suddenly saw Hana coming down the stairs. Her hair was a mess and she was still in her pajamas. It was obvious that she just woke up.

 

Kyungsoo’s lips curved into a smile. *Cute.*

 

Hana immediately noticed his bag. “Do you have classes today? It’s Saturday right?” She asked him in confusion.

 

“I don’t have classes today. I’ll just go out for a bit.”

 

Hana frowned. “What about me?”

 

Kyungsoo blinked at her. “Huh? What do you mean ‘you’?” He asked her not getting her point.

 

“I mean.. how would I eat? You’re my personal chef. I will only eat anything that you cook. If you’re not here, I won’t be able to eat. Did you even think of that?” Hana reasoned out in a defensive way.

 

“I already prepared your food for the whole day. The head cook will just re-heat it.” Kyungsoo told her.

 

Hana crossed her arms under her chest. “Just where are you going?” She finally asked him. Just where was he going this early morning? Was it that important that he really have to leave?

 

“I’m going to an orphanage where I came from. It’s their 54th anniversary. And it’s my yearly routine to drop by.” Kyungsoo explained to her.

 

“Orphanage…” Hana mumbled with a small nod. Now she understands why. He thought he was going somewhere.. with Yoonjo or whatever.

 

Kyungsoo noticed her expression. “But, It’s not how you think of it. The orphanage where I came from is a good one. It’s unlike what you see in dramas where there are rebel kids and such…”

 

Hana shook her head. “I’m not thinking of those. I’m just curious about how it feels like to be actually there.” She mumbled as she bit her lip.

 

“Would you like to come with me?”

 

Hana’s eyes widened in excitement. “Can I?”

 

 

….

 

 

“We’re here.” Kyungsoo smiled as he opened the metal door for her to come inside.

 

Hana shook her head as she stepped back. “You can go. I’ll just stay here and wait for you to come back.”

 

Kyungsoo pouted. “Why? Don’t worry about the place. The children here are all obedient. They won’t be a problem. You’ll like them for sure.” Kyungsoo assured her as she patted her back.

 

“But will they like me?” Hana asked him. “I’m not good with kids. What if I suddenly shout at them? What if they cry? I wouldn’t know how to console them or whatever. So to prevent those from happening, I’ll just stay here and wait for you.” Hana told him with a small smile. She really wanted to go inside but she suddenly realized that the place is full of kids. And she’s not good with kids. She has a high tendency of making them cry.

 

“Don’t worry. You’ll get along with them.” Kyungsoo grabbed her arm and immediately pulled her inside.

 

The celebration was held at the garden. There were round tables covered with colorful tablecloths and a small stage where some kids sing and dance. Everyone looked happy. It was a celebration after all.

 

As Kyungsoo and Hana walked closer to them, an old lady came up to them with a big smile. “Kyungsoo-ya! You came.”

 

She greeted them. And her eyes shone when she saw Hana. “Is this your girlfriend?” She asked Kyungsoo while pointing to Hana.

 

Kyungsoo blushed as he shook his head. “N-no! It’s not like that.” Hana just bit her lip and stared at the ground. She finds it awkward. *Do we look like a couple?*

 

“Really?”

 

Kyungsoo nodded as he raised his right arm. “Really.”

 

The old lady turned to Hana with a sweet smile. “What’s your name?”

 

Hana eyed her as she spoke quietly. “Jung Hana. I’m Jung Hana.”

 

Kyungsoo smiled. *So she knows how to be polite?* He thought in amusement.

 

The old lady nodded. “I’m Inhee. I’m the Head of this orphanage. Please always take care of our Kyungsoo.”

 

Hana gave her a small nod. “I …will try my best.”

 

Suddenly, the kids saw Kyungsoo and they quickly gathered around them, making Hana panic. She held Kyungsoo’s arm. “What should I do?” She asked him in bafflement.

 

Kyungsoo placed his hand on top of hers and gave her a heartstopping smile. “Just be yourself.”

*You’re not helping. Instead of calming me down, you even made me more nervous.* Hana thought.

 

Kyungsoo turned to the kids with a smile. “Do you still remember me?” He asked them playfully.

 

“YES!” The kids cheered loudly.

 

Kyungsoo nodded happily. “Today I’m here with …someone special. This is Jung Hana.” He told the kids as he pulled Hana to his side, making her closer to the kids.

 

*Special?* Hana asked in her thoughts as she stared at Kyungsoo.

 

“Treat her well okay?” He asked them. The children nodded in agreement.

 

Suddenly, a little boy tugged on Hana’s arm. Hana turned to him. “W-what is it?”She asked him in a low voice. Trying her best not to scare him away or whatsoever.

 

“Noona’s so pretty.” The little boy grinned at her.

 

Hana smiled in amusement. “You’re smart huh?”

 

“Go and sit with them on the empty table.” Inhee told Hana as she pointed to the empty table not so far away from them. And in an instant, the kids pulled Hana away even before she could protest.

 

At the table,

 

“Are you Kyungsoo oppa’s girlfriend?” A girl named Jiyoon asked her.

 

“No. We’re just friends.” Hana mumbled as her cheeks turned pink. *Everyone else in this orphanage thinks that I’m his girlfriend. Even a small kid like her.*

 

“Kyungsoo hyung sings for us every year.” Another one spoke.

 

Hana blinked. “Sings? Kyungsoo sings?” She asked them again to confirm if she heard them right.

 

They nodded. “Kyungsoo hyung has a great voice.”

 

“His voice is really sweet!”

 

“Look! He’s already at the stage! He’s going to sing now!”

 

Hana whipped her head towards the stage and saw Kyungsoo there, and that’s when the music played and he started singing.


 I couldn’t bear to say that I like you
Just being by your side like this was good enough                                                                           Yes, should I muster up some courage one more time?

Should I tell you how I feel?
You don’t even know my heart and you just smile brightly

 

* He’s good at cooking. He’s a clean person. And now he can sing. It makes me really wonder about the other things he can do.* Hana thought with a small smile.  And as she was watching him, she suddenly realized that Kyungsoo was staring right into her eyes. *Was he staring at me or I’m just being delusional?*

 

I’m telling you that I want you                                                                                                         I’m telling you that I’m calling you
Hold my hand, hold my hand
I’m afraid that I’ll lose you

 

Hana looked at the audience. There were tons of them. Meaning she’s not the only person Kyungsoo was looking at. *There are many people here. It’s not only you Hana. Stop being delusional. He’s not looking at you.* She chanted to herself as she looked away. *That’s right. It’s because of his eyes. Kyungsoo’s eyes are big that’s why I thought he was looking at me. That’s it.* She convinced herself before finally looking back to him. And there he was, staring right at her eyes.

 

I’m telling you that I want you
I’m telling you that I love you
Are you listening to my heart for you?
It hurts just to look at you
Like this

 

A thought came to her. *What if he was really looking at me?* She asked herself as she watched him bow before finally leaving the small stage. *If he was really looking at me, then why? and the other question is why was he only looking at me?* She asked herself.

 

“Kyungsoo oppa has a very nice voice. I really like him!” Jiyoon said as she clapped for her favorite Oppa.

 

Hana’s attention turned to the little girl beside her. She looked to her with furrowed brows. “You like him?” *How can this kid be so straightforward?*

 

Jiyoon nodded. “I’m going to marry him when I grow up.” She said with full determination.

 

Hana was a bit surprised by what she said but still remained her cool. “When you grow up, he’s already old and wrinkly. You won’t like that for sure.”

 

Jiyoon firmly shook her head. “I’ll still like him.”

 

Hana leaned towards Jiyoon and whispered to her ear. “A little girl and an Ahjusshi can’t get married you know? It’s forbidden. The government won’t allow it. So go find someone else to marry.” She told her.

 

Jiyoon pouted in disagreement. She didn’t like the thought of marrying any other guy aside from Kyungsoo.

 

“How about him? He looks fine right?” Hana pointed to a random kid at the other table with a big grin. “You look.. uh.. You guys look like a couple. You should marry him instead.”

Jiyoon looked at Hana. “You think so Unnie?” She asked her, asking for her opinion.

 

Hana smiled. “I know so.” She said as she gave her a thumbs up.

 

 

 

From a distance, Kyungsoo stood there, watching Hana interact with the kids. *It seems like everything is fine.* He thought with a satisfied smile.

 

“She’s really not your girlfriend?” Inhee asked him.

 

Kyungsoo shook his head. His eyes, still not leaving her. “No. She’s really not my girlfriend.”

 

“Not yet?”

 

“Yes. Not yet.” Kyungsoo answered without thinking. And he regretted his answer few seconds later. “No! I mean she’s really not my girlfriend. That’s really it.” He tried to explain.

 

Inhee nodded with a mischievous smile. She looked at Hana. “She seems nice.”

 

Kyungsoo nodded at her. “She’s nice. She’s just having problems with dealing with other people. But Hana’s nice. She might look like she doesn’t care about others but, she does.” He explained. He didn’t want Inhee or anyone else to misinterpret Hana. If only he could, he’d shout to the world what she really was.

 

“Look. Junji seems to like her.” Inhee pointed out.

 

Kyungsoo looked at them and he saw Junji was about to kiss Hana on her right cheek without her knowing. She was talking with Jiyoon after all. Kyungsoo’s eyes widened. “W-what’s with that? Why will Junji kiss her?” He asked aloud before running towards them. Completely forgetting the fact that he was talking with Inhee.

 

Inhee smiled. “Aigoo. Kyungsoo’s so slow.” She thought as she shook her head.

 

Kyungsoo paced towards their table and immediately sat in between Hana and Junji. Blocking Junji’s moth with his hand so that he wouldn’t be able to kiss her. “Did you …guys eat?” He asked them as he tried to catch his breath.

 

Hana and the kids nodded. “How about you?” Hana asked him.

 

“I’m fine. I’m not hungry at all.” He answered her as he wiped away the beads of sweat appearing at his forehead. He ran so fast just to stop Junji.

 

“Why did you go here then? You’re even running.” She asked him again.

 

“Uhh.. I just..” *I was afraid that Junji would do something insane and kiss you on the lips.* He thought. “I just missed the kids. That’s why I ran here.” He reasoned out.

 

Hana just nodded at him and continued talking with the other kids.

 

Kyungsoo turned to Junji. “I saw what you’re trying to do. Why did you do that?” He whispered at him.

 

“Because Noona’s so pretty.” Junji answered innocently.

 

Kyungsoo sighed. “You shouldn’t kiss someone just because she’s pretty. You’ll go to jail if you do that.” He told the kid.

 

The kid nodded in understanding. “What about you Kyungsoo hyung? Don’t you want to kiss her too?” The kid asked him.

 

Kyungsoo stared at the kid beside him. “Are you sure that you’re only 7 years old?” He asked him.

 

The little nodded with a smile. “Yes. Junji is 7 years old and I will turn 8 on May 4.” He answered.

 

Kyungsoo just sighed. *Atleast he wasn’t able to kiss Hana.* He thought as he watched Hana talk with Jiyoon and the other kids.

 

“Hyung, isn’t she pretty?” Junji asked him.

 

Kyungsoo nodded. His eyes were still glued onto her. Watching her every move. “Yes.” He didn’t deny the fact that she was pretty. But the word pretty was just not enough to describe her. She was simply breath taking.

 

 

==============================================================

 

Guess the song's title. lol.