Chapter 32: Flashback

Opposites Attract

===============================================================

 

 

 

Next morning,

 

Kyungsoo happily hummed to himself as he carried the tray of food to Hana’s room. He prepared her breakfast like he would always do. But today was special. Because last night, Hana told him that Luhan wasn’t her fiancé. That alone was enough to brighten up his day.

 

Kyungsoo stared at the tray of hot choco and freshly cooked pancakes with a smile. “I’m sure Hana will like this.” He mumbled before opening the door to Hana’s room. He can almost imagine what she would say. Her reactions and he could also visualize how she would accidentally burn her tongue due to drinking the hot choco because she would be choking from eating too many pancakes while talking. She was always like that.

 

He opened the door and was surprised to see the same guy from yesterday. Xi Luhan. He was sitting on the cold floor while his head rests on Hana’s bed. He was watching Hana sleep.

 

“What are you doing here?” Kyungsoo asked him with his brows furrowed. Seeing him early in the morning is enough to destroy his day.

 

“Shhhh! Hana might wake up.” Luhan shushed him as he turned towards Hana and was relieved when he saw that she was still sleeping soundly.

 

“She’s a heavy sleeper. She won’t wake up that easily.” Kyungsoo mumbled as he placed the tray of food on the table beside Hana’s bed.

 

"I know that." Luhan just nodded at him and continued to gaze at Hana. “I’ve known her for years.” Luhan told him, his eyes were still focused on her.

 

“Years? So how was she when she was young?” Kyungsoo couldn’t help but ask. He wanted to know more about her after all.

 

“When she was young?” Luhan asked himself with a smile, recalling the time when he first met Hana.

 

 

 

FLASHBACK

 

Luhan nervously chewed on his bottom lip as he scanned the faces of students who was looking at him in curiosity.

 

“I’m ..Xi Luhan. I hope we.. get along well.” He mumbled quietly. He wasn’t confident in speaking in Korean because he was still learning the language. He was a pureblooded Chinese but his family moved to Korea due to some circumstances. Mainly business. And that requires him to learn Korean.

 

Some of his classmates were amused by him because he looked cute. Some already knew that he wan’t Korean because of the tone of his voice. And there were some who didn’t seem to like him even though it was their first time meeting him.

 

..

 

His first week went well. He had friends. And most of them were girls. And that caused him to be teased and bullied. They said he was gay because he looked girly and his friends were all girls. But what can he do when the girls were the first ones to approach him right? Another reason why he was being bullied was because of his Nationality and the way he speak. His classmates couldn’t understand him and so they decided to just make fun of him. Everytime.

 

..

 

“Gay!”

“Alien!”

“Weirdo!”

“Just go back to China!”

 

Luhan cried his heart out as he sat on the metal chair near the school garden. He was bullied. Again. And it’s gotten worse. Just what did he do to deserve all this?

 

Suddenly,

 

“That’s my favorite spot. Why are you sitting there?” A voice asked. It was obvious that the owner of the voice was a girl but it was also evident that she was mad.

 

Luhan wiped away his tears as he looked up. It was a girl whom he never saw before. *Maybe she’s from the other section.* He thought as he tried to stop crying and analyzed her features so that he’ll be able to remember her next time they met. Her cheeks were slightly chubby. Her hair flows down to her waist. Pale white skin. She had small lips and her eyes were.. unhappy.

 

“I said that’s my favorite spot! So you should leave!” The girl suddenly exclaimed, making Luhan shocked all of a sudden. And because he was still a kid back then, all he could do is cry.

 

“My classmates are bullying me and now this girl here is shouting at me.” He mumbled as he cried harder.

 

The girl before her slightly panicked. *Did I make him cry?* She asked herself as she stared at Luhan. “You’re so noisy. S-stop crying!” She ordered him, trying to make him stop, but miserably failed. It made Luhan cry more.

 

The girl immediately thought of a way to make him stop crying. “You! Stay here and wait for me to come back. If I come back here and you’re gone, you’re dead!” She threatened him before finally running away.

 

Luhan’s face turned sour. “I don’t want to die yeeet!” He said to himself. Today was the worst day for him. He was bullied by his classmates. He wasn’t able to eat lunch and now, there’s this cute girl telling him that she’ll kill him.

 

Few minutes later, the girl came back holding a small plastic bag. She gave it to him as she tried to catch her breath. Beads of sweat were forming on her forehead.

 

Luhan looked at her in confusion. “You’re giving this to me?” He asked her.

 

The girl grabbed a lollipop from the plastic bag, unwrapped it and placed it inside Luhan’s mouth. “Eat these and stop crying.” She told him harshly.

 

Luhan stared at her for the nth time. *She’s not a bad person.* He thought with a smile. At the time up until now he still doesn’t know if the sweetness he felt was from the lollipop that he was eating or from the girl who stood before him.

 

*Why is she being nice to me? What if she gets bullied by my classmates for befriending me?* He asked himself. Luhan pulled out the lollipop from his mouth and spoke: “Why are you kind to me? Do you know who I am?” You shouldn’t be befriending me. He thought.

 

The girl looked at him with furrowed brows. “Why? Are you famous? Do you appear on TV?”

 

Luhan shook his head. “N-no! My classmates were bullying me because I look like a girl and I’m not good yet with my Korean…” He confessed as he hung his head low.

 

“What’s you’re name?”

 

Luhan bit his lip. “I’m Xi Luhan.”

 

The girl nodded. “Oh you’re Chinese?” The girl spoke in Mandarin.

 

Luhan’s eyes rounded. “You understand Mandarin?” he asked her in excitement. Atlast, he found someone he could talk to.

 

The girl smirked. “It’s because I’m smart.” She said as she held out her hand to him for a handshake. “I’m Jung Hana.” She said with a small smile.

 

Luhan watched her with bright eyes. *Jung… Hana…* He thought happily as he shook her hand.

 

END OF FLASHBACK

 

 

“That was how we met.” Luhan smiled, their first meeting was extremely memorable to him.

 

*I only asked how Hana was when she was still a kid. And he went on and told me how they met.* Kyungsoo thought. “I think she’ll be mad if she sees you here in her room.” He told Luhan, trying to make him leave.

 

Luhan shook his head with a smile. “It’s okay. Hana will not be mad at me for long. I know her.”

 

“You really know everything about her huh?” Kyungsoo mumbled sarcastically.

 

Luhan nodded as he turned to Hana. “If I won’t understand her, then who would? Eventhough she looks strong, I know that deep inside, Hana is lonely.” Luhan whispered as he arranged the Hana’s blanket. His eyes turned glum. But he immediately smiled at Kyungsoo.

 

“That’s why I’m here. I’m her deer that will always always always make her happy no matter what. As long as she’s happy that’s fine with me.” He grinned.

 

================================================================