Chapter 1: Kyungsoo’s wish

Opposites Attract

 

==============================================================

 

 

Kyungsoo hummed to himself as he counted the money on the cash register. “800,769 won.” He mumbled as he jutted it down on the paper. Then he carefully placed the money inside.

 

He looked around the store. There are no customers shopping at the current hour.

 

“I better not waste my time.” He silently opened his bag and took his notebook. *Since there’s no customers yet, I better read my notes and just study.* He thought while waiting for customers to arrive at the convenience store. He was working at a part time cashier at a store near his apartment.

 

Kyungsoo is a scholar at Seoul University and he is independent. He works for himself because he was an orphan. So he’s a student by day and he becomes a cashier by night.

 

He glanced at his watch. *Five more minutes and my shift is over.* He smiled as he closed his notebook. He was already able to read his notes. The silence inside the convenience store is a big help to him.

 

The door suddenly opened and the next shiftee, Kris came in with a smile. “You’re not yet done?” He asked as he walked towards Kyungsoo.

 

Kyungsoo shook his head. “I’m already done. Few customers dropped by that’s why I decided to just study.” Kyungsoo answered as he placed his notebook inside his bag. He turned to Kris before finally leaving. “I’ll be going now. See you tomorrow.” He smiled at him.

 

Kris just nodded at him as a sign of goodbye.

 

..

 

Kyungsoo walked around the market to buy vegetables for his dinner. He looked at the small piece of paper in his hand. It was in his checklist. “I already bought cucumbers and potatoes. Now I have to buy a cabbage.” He mumbled to himself as he folded the paper and placed it in his pocket.

 

“Cabbage. Cabbage. Cabbage.” Kyungsoo mumbled as he looked around the stalls, looking for cabbages.

 

“Kyungsoo-ya!”

 

Kyungsoo searched for the person calling his name and saw that it was the Ahjumma who he was comfortable talking with. The Ahjumma who really likes him because he’s really polite and because he resembles her son who already passed away.

 

“Ahjumma.” Kyungsoo bowed at her politely.

 

The old woman smiled at him. “Aigoo, this kid is so polite.” She mumbled as she took out three plastics of oranges from her stall and gave it to Kyungsoo.

 

Kyungsoo immediately shook his head. “No, Ahjumma you already gave me apples last week. That’s enough already. I haven’t even finished eating it all.” He reasoned out.

 

Everytime this Ahjumma sees him, she would always be giving him something from her fruit stand. And she never asked for anything in return. And to be honest, Kyungsoo was very thankful for the fresh fruits that she always gives him but he didn’t even do anything for her. So he felt like maybe sometimes he has to refuse. It’s already a bit depressing on his side.

 

The Ahjumma frowned at him. “I picked these out for you. And I’m not asking for anything in return. Just accept it.” She said as she handed him the plastic bags.

 

Kyungsoo couldn’t do anything. He knew she’d be sad if he refuse. “Are you doing this because I look like your son?” He asked her.

 

“I didn’t have the chance to do these to my own son. So I’ll just do this to you.” She smiled.

 

“I’m thankful to you to Ahjumma. I didn’t have a mom who’d do all of these to me.” Kyungsoo bowed at her. “Thank you Ahjumma.”

 

Ahjumma just patted his shoulder. “You’re always welcome. Come back here next week. I’ll give you grapes.”

 

Kyungsoo just smiled at her.

 

..

 

Kyungsoo sighed as he walked on the crowded street towards his house. He was getting impatient because his hands were already sore because of holding 5 plastic bags. *Why are there so many people at this hour?* He thought as he frowned.

 

“I have to get home quick so that I can cook dinner. I’m so hungry.” he mumbled to himself as he struggled to find a way out of the crowd.

 

Suddenly,

 

“Young man.” He heard a voice.

 

Kyungsoo looked back even if he wasn’t sure if he’s the one being called. He was in a crowd after all.

 

But as he look back, he saw a soothe sayer. A fortune teller. *Maybe she’s not calling me.* Kyungsoo thought as he looked away.

 

“Young man.” He heard her again.

 

Kyungsoo still didn’t look back. *It’s not me right?* He thought as he was about to walk away but,

 

“Young man.” He heard her call again.

 

Kyungsoo looked back. And he saw her staring back at him. Kyungsoo pointed to himself. “Are you calling me?” He asked her with uncertainity.

 

The old woman nodded with a smile. “Yes. You.” She motioned him to come to her. “Come here.” She told him.

 

Kyungsoo was unsure about it but he still followed her. “I didn’t ask for my fortune to be told---“

 

The old woman held his hand. “I can see that something will happen to you soon.”

 

Kyungsoo looked at her. “Is it good or bad?” He asked her curiously.

 

The old woman just smiled as she stared at his hand. “I don’t know. But it will change your life.”

 

He tilted his head in confusion. *What does that mean?*

 

..

 

Kyungsoo sat up from his bed and scratched his head in irritation. “I can’t sleep.” He mumbled to himself as he sighed.

 

Then he remembered the fortune teller from earlier.

 

“I can see that something will happen to you soon.”

“I don’t know. But it will change your life.”

 

He recalled what she told him.

 

“It will change my life?” he thought as he thought about it.

 

And now that he had thought about it, Kyungsoo realized how dull his life was. Everyday he’ll wake up, go to school, study hard, and after his class he’ll be heading to his part time job, then he’ll go home coke for his self, eat dinner and sleep.

 

Kyungsoo frowned deeply. *When did my life become this boring?*

 

“Everything’s predictable. Every day is an endless cycle. I wish..” Kyungsoo mumbled as he tucked himself into his bed and arranged his pillows.

 

“I wish my life was different. “ He whispered silently as he slowly closed his eyes and drifted off to dream land.

 

 

===============================================================