Chapter 2: Jung Hana’s Past

Opposites Attract

 

 

===============================================================

 

 

 

“Omma! We will ride the roller coaster next time right?” The little girl with pig tails happily said as she turned to her mother.

Her mother smiled at her in response. “Of course Sweetie.” She said as she arranged the tips of her daughter’s hair.

“Yay!” The little girl cheered as she jumped in delight.

The mother immediately stopped her daughter’s joy as she spoke: “But you have to grow up first. Because you’re too young to ride the roller coaster. Right Appa?” She asked as she turned to her husband.

“That’s right.” He replied as he nodded.

“But.. but..” The little girl frowned as she bit her lip, her tears already forming in her brown eyes.

The father carried her daughter and placed her on his back. “So for now, you’ll have to ride my back first before you ride the roller coaster.” He said as he grinned as he wriggled his brows. “Hold on tight.” He added.

The girl immediately smiled as she placed her small hands around her father’s neck. And they walked away happily.

“Tch.” Hana mumbled as she shook her head a little. “Promises are meant to be broken.” Seeing the happy couple with the kid makes her remember her childhood.

 

 

FLASHBACK

 

I slowly went downstairs with a big smile plastered on my face. I think was five at that time.  I was at a very young age back then, so people could make me wear stupid things like a frilly dress and stuff like I was wearing that day.

 

As I took the last step on the staircase, “Happy Birthday Hana!” The maid greeted me with a big smile. I beamed and smiled back.

 

I looked at her carefully. She’s alone. *Maybe my Umma and Appa are hiding somewhere.* I thought excitedly as I tried to search for them while roaming my eyes around that particular place. But all I saw are the rows of maids, cooks, drivers and butler piled around the room. *Where’s Umma and Appa?* I thought as my smile slowly faded.

 

The maid noticed that I was looking for them and immediately spoke. “Hana, you’re so beautiful today!” She exclaimed happily as she touched my cheeks and tried to get my attention.

 

I turned to her. Of course my smile grew wider. Every kid enjoyed a compliment thrown at them.

 

“Unnie..” I called her as I bit my lip.

 

“Hmm?” She asked as she a few strands of my hair.

 

“Where’s Umma and Appa?” I asked as I smiled shyly at her.

 

I was excited to meet them. I haven’t seen them yet and I mean it. If there are no picture frames or whatever in this big house, I wouldn’t have any clue on what and how my parents looked like. They we’re always away. They’re working. I don’t know where they are right now because they are always changing their workplace. From New York to Canada to Australia to Singapore to India to Malaysia and many more. They were always away.

 

But on my every birthday, they promise to come but they always failed to. And today, on my 5th birthday, they promised me they’ll be coming.

 

And I sincerely thought that on my 5th birthday I’ll be able to see them.

 

But of course, as expected, I didn’t.

 

She cleared and looked at me then, she tried to pull a small smile.“Hana, aren’t you hungry? Let’s eat.” She said as she held my hand and started to drag me towards the kitchen but I pulled my hand away.

 

She’s completely changing the topic. “I’m asking about Umma and Appa.” I said as I frowned and pouted.

 

She bent down on her knees again and tried to make eye contact with me. “You know, they called earlier. They said they couldn’t make it. But, don’t be sad. We’re here for you. The other maids and even the drivers and—“

 

When I heard that they wouldn’t make it again, I felt sad. Who wouldn’t be? I’ve been longing to see them for so long. *They said they’ll come. They said we will celebrate my birthday together.* I thought as I bit my lip and gripped on my hands.

 

 Just then, tears started glistening down my cheeks.“They promised me they’ll come. They said they will.” I said with a furrowed brow as I wiped away my tears.

 

She stared at me softly.“Hana, they can’t. But, they gave you gifts! There’s tons of them. So stop crying now and let’s play!” She said as she took out a doll from a big box behind her and played with it.

 

I stared at her. *How can I play? I’ve waited for them for a long time. They just lied to me.*

 

“Come on let’s play! The doll looks beautiful right?” She asked enthusiastically as she place the doll near me.

 

“I DON’T WANT THAT!” I exclaimed as I shoved the doll away and ran towards my room, ignoring the calls of the maids telling me to go down and not to feel sad.

 

I sat on my bed and while hugging my favorite teddy bear, slowly, without me noticing it, I cried.

 

“My Umma told me over the phone that they will definitely come. They’d sing me a ‘Happy Birthday Song’, we will eat delicious foods and we will sleep together with Appa. But everything was a lie.” Hana mumbled as she tightened her hug on her teddy bear.

 

 

 

Few months later, I was slightly able to forget about what happened on my birthday. But it left a deep scar in my heart which will never be erased. Ever.

 

 

It was a normal day. We were having a little drawing class. And I was playing on the Nursery Room with my classmates while I enjoyed coloring some drawings.

 

“Hana! didn’t you say you’re going to give me the doll today?” My classmate, Miyoung asked as she sat down beside me with a big smile.

 

I turned to her. *Oh right! Her gift.* I slowly placed down the crayon I was holding and beamed at her. “I’ll get it. It’s on the car.” I said as I smiled while walking towards the door.

 

I went outside and ran towards the car and got the doll from the back seat. “Miyoung’s going to like this for sure.” I mumbled happily as I carefully held the new doll.

 

Miyoung was my new best friend. We met just 2 weeks ago but she was always with me. She’s always visiting my house. And we always play. Because of her I became happy that’s why I love her a lot.

 

As I opened the door,

 

“Miyoung-ah, you’re really good friends with Hana. I heard you even come to their house. And now she’s giving you a doll. I’m so envious of you.” I heard my classmate said.

 

Miyoung laughed. “I’m not her friend. I just want the gifts she’s giving to me. She instantly gives me anything I ask for. Do you want to have new toys too? You should tag along with us. I’ll introduce you to her later. Her family’s really rich. She won’t bother buying all of us tons of gifts!” Miyoung excitedly clapped her hands by just the thought of it.

 

My heart slowly shattered because of what I heard. So she just likes me because I’m rich? Tears slowly formed in my eyes and without me knowing it, I cried rivers of tears. The only friend I have, doesn’t really treat me as a friend.

 

*Liar.* I thought as I left the doll by the door and ran away.

 

My bodyguard followed me and ran after me. “Miss Hana! Where are you going? You left the doll---“

 

“I don’t care! Throw it away! Burn it!” I exclaimed as I wiped my tears away. *I really thought I had a friend that I can lean on. But now I knew that there’s none.*

 

Now I am fully aware that no one is there for me to lean on. There's no one to trust. 

Ever since that day, I learnt something—never trust anyone. 

 

 

 

===============================================================