Chapter 24: Hana’s Dongsaeng

Opposites Attract

 

 

 

==============================================================

 

 

Kyungsoo silently watched Hana eat. She was still using her left hand since her right arm is still injured. She couldn’t even move it. Hana wasn’t a left-handed person and that’s what makes things worse. She can’t eat properly. Sometimes, when she’s just about to eat the food will slip out from the spoon because her hand was shaking.

 

“You still can’t use you right hand?” Kyungsoo asked her. His brows were pinched together. Worry was painted on his face.

 

Hana twitched. “Obviously.”

 

Kyungsoo looked at her right hand. It was turning purplish. His frown deepened. “Shouldn’t you go to a hospital and have that checked?”

 

Hana dropped her spoon with a loud sound. “I said I can’t go to hospitals right?” She mumbled in irritation.

 

“What about clinics? The small clinics.” Kyungsoo suggested.

 

Hana eyed him. *He’s too pushy about this topic.* She thought as she twitched. “Don’t you have classes today?” She asked, trying to change the topic.

 

Kyungsoo faked a smile to irritate her. “It’s Saturday today.” He reminded Hana.

 

Hana rolled her eyes inwardly. “I feel like my right arm is better now. I think I don’t need any treatment.” Hana said as she flex and bent her right arm, trying to show Kyungsoo that she was okay. But inside she’s not.

 

“Really?” Kyungsoo asked her.

 

“Really!”

 

In no time, Kyungsoo lightly slapped Hana’s right arm. Just to make sure that it was okay.

 

“IT HURTS! WHY DID YOU DO THAT?!” Hana exclaimed at him.

 

“See? It still hurts. Hurry and get dressed. We’ll drop by the nearest clinic here.” Kyungsoo told her in a domineering tone.

 

Hana sighed as she looked away. She knew she really have to obey Kyungsoo this time or he’ll mentioning this to her again and again.

 

….

 

“Just how far is it?!” Hana asked in irritation. They have been walking for more than 30 minutes. What’s more is the sun is giving off extra heat waves today. Great. And Kyungsoo swore to her that it isn’t so far. *Liar.* Hana thought as she eyed him from the corner of her eyes.

 

“We’re almost there.” Kyungsoo calmly stated.

 

“You’ve been saying that for a million times.” Hana mumbled loud enough for Kyungsoo to hear. As she turned to look away, she saw a small store near them. She smiled. *Food.*

 

“I said that for 3 times. Not a million.” Kyungsoo told her with a fake smile.

 

Hana ignored his comment and grabbed his hand towards the small store. “I’m hungry. Let’s eat first.”

 

Kyungsoo slightly blushed as he stared at his hands intertwined with hers. He never held hands with a girl before. And here’s Jung Hana, casually holding his hand as if it was nothing. Can’t she be more sensitive? He thought.

 

Hana let go of his hand and grabbed two sticks of odeng. Kyungsoo smiled. He thought Hana was going to give the other one to him.

 

Hana turned to him. “Aren’t you going to eat too?” She asked him as she started eating the odeng.

 

So that was hers. I thought she’s giving it to me. Kyungsoo thought as he shook his head and simply grabbed a stick.

 

Few seconds later, Hana placed the sticks beside the Ahjumma and slurped some odeng gungmul from her cup. “I’m done eating.” She said as she brushed off the small fish cake particles that fell on her shirt. Then she turned to Kyungsoo with a smile. “You pay for it.” She told him as she pointed the sticks using her lip.

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened. He couldn’t protest because his mouth was full. And Hana already walked away. That leaves him no choice but to pay.

 

Kyungsoo swallowed the food he was eating and turned to the Ahjumma. “How much is it?” He asked with a polite smile.

 

--

 

At the clinic,

 

“It looks pretty bad. Just what happened to your arm? How did it turn out to be like this?” The doctor asked as he examined Hana right arm.

 

Hana looked away. “I just fell downstairs. That’s all.” She reasoned out.

 

“Are you sure that’s just it? It looks really---“

 

Hana eyed him. “I said I fell.”

 

The doctor was intimidated by her. He turned towards Kyungsoo’s direction, he was not convinced by Hana’s answer.

 

Kyungsoo gave him an awkward smile as he remained silent on his seat. He didn’t say anything and pretended to read a magazine.

 

“Well, from the looks of it, you have to wear a cast.” The doctor announced before grabbing his medical records.

 

Hana frowned. She really hated casts. She won’t be able to move around freely because of it.

 

“I’m going to get your details first. I know you can’t write, so I’ll just write it. So, what’s your name?” The doctor asked with a small smile.

 

Hana eyed him. *I can’t reveal my real name to other persons.* She thought as she smiled back. “Do Hana.”

 

*Do… Hana….* Kyungsoo’s eyes rounded as he whipped his head towards Hana. *What’s she saying? Before she’s told my friends that she’s my girlfriend. And now she’s going to say that we’re married?* He thought as he flushed red.

 

The thought of being married to her.. is simply enough to make him speechless.

 

The doctor turned to Kyungsoo. “What’s your relationship with her?” he asked.

 

“I’m her…” Kyungsoo hesitated for a bit. But for some reason, he felt happy. He opened his mouth to speak but Hana intervened. “Husb---“

 

“Dongsaeng. He’s my dongsaeng.” Hana answered for him.

 

Kyungsoo’s face fell. He was disappointed by what she said. He felt his heart fell on his feet. *Dongsaeng? So we’re siblings? That’s… impossible.* He thought as he sighed.

 

For some reasons, he felt irritated. And he was bothered by a single word that he heard from her. ‘Dongsaeng’ What’s more is that, it was just nothing to her. Even if she was just lying, he doesn’t know why but he really felt anxious about it.

 

It didn’t sound right to him. And it never will.

 

--

 

Hana purposely bumped her shoulders with Kyungsoo and waited for his reaction. But there was none. He had been acting weirdly ever since they got out of the clinic. *What’s wrong with him?* She thought as she continued staring at him.

 

Kyungsoo felt awkward because she was staring at him but he tried not to show it to her.

 

“Are you mad at me?” Hana asked him innocently.

 

Kyungsoo shook his head. “No.” He shortly answered her.

 

He wasn’t exactly mad at her. But that doesn’t mean everything is okay. He was just… deeply affected by what she said earlier.

 

Hana being insensitive as she is just shrugged it off. *Well, he said he’s not mad so.. it’s okay. Right?* She thought with a small nod.

 

--

 

Outside Kyungsoo’s apartment,

 

Kyungsoo was about to get the key from his left pocket but Hana stopped him.

 

“We don’t need a key. It’s already open.” She voiced out as she lightly pushed the door.

 

Kyungsoo turned to her. Shock was written all over his face. “But I’m sure I locked it before we left.”

 

Hana had a bad feeling about it and immediately went inside Kyungsoo’s apartment. And she stopped on her tracks because of what she saw. Kyungsoo’s apartment was a mess. His once neatly organized things were now scattered everywhere. His books, the kitchen tools, the pillows, the pans, the clothes and pieces of paper were all scattered everywhere. The windows were broken. Shattered glass were on the floor. The couch where she used to lie down is now wrecked into two. Everything was a mess.

 

“Hana! Did you find anyone---“ Kyungsoo was at loss of words. The apartment that he worked so hard for. The place he considered as home was now destroyed.

 

Hana saw how crestfallen Kyungsoo was. And she felt really bad about it because she knew Zico was the one behind this. There’s no one else other than him who would do something like this. And it happened because of her. “Kyungsoo, I think I know who did this. It’s Zico.”

 

*Zico.. So they’re after her? No way. I don’t want to give her to them.* Kyungsoo bent down and started cleaning the shattered glass shards. “I’ll just clean this and then I’ll cook. What do you want for dinner?” He asked her as if there is nothing wrong.

 

“Didn’t you hear me? I said it’s Zico!”

 

“I heard you.” Kyungsoo silently answered her.

 

Hana breathed heavily and made Kyungsoo face her. “Can’t you understand it? They did it because I’m here! It’s because of me!”

 

Kyungsoo avoided her eyes. “So?”

 

“I think I have to go now. I—“

 

“Pack up your things.”Kyungsoo intervened her talking.

 

Hana silently nodded. “Yes. And then I’ll leave.”

 

Kyungsoo shook his head with a small smile. “No. We’ll leave.”

 

 

 

=============================================================

 

A/N:

 

Odeng

Fish Cakes
(오뎅)
Approximate price: 500 won

Fish cakes are the cheapest of snacks you can find. You don’t have to order this one at all. Just grab a stick and start eating as many as you like. The vendor will count up the skewers before you leave to tell you how much owe.

 

Odeng Gungmul

Fish Cake Broth
(오뎅국물)
Price: Free

The broth the fish cakes are bathed in is completely free with unlimited refills. Pick up a cup and pour yourself (it’s usually self-serve) that hearty broth for the beautiful price of free.