Chapter 26: March 3

Opposites Attract

 

 

=============================================================================

 

 

 

“WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR FOREHEAD?!” Kyungsoo’s friends chorused as soon as they saw him. Since the big red lump on Kyungsoo’s forehead was so glaringly obvious even though he kept on trying to conceal it with his handkerchief, they still noticed it and couldn’t help but ask what had happened to him.

 

Kyungsoo glared at them as he just looked away. “Don’t ask.”

 

Last night, because of what he did to Hana, she decided to get back at him like 10 times more. *I just cracked the eggshell on her forehead. And what she did was to smash the whole egg on my forehead. Aish. That girl is really.. there are no words that are enough to describe her.* Kyungsoo thought as he shook his head. He just doesn’t want to remember what she did to him.

 

“But hyung, your forehead looks like a mini buzzer.” Sehun pointed out as he leaned to Kyungsoo to see his forehead from a closer view. “Should we press it?”

 

Kyungsoo eyed him sharply. “It’s not funny.”

 

“No! It’s not a buzzer, it’s a third eye!” Suho shrieked. “Can you see ghosts now Kyung? Are they anywhere near us? Tell me! Tell me” He asked Kyungsoo anxiously as he shook him to and fro. Eventhough Suho was the eldest among them, he was also the one who was sooooo afraid of ghosts.

 

Kyungsoo turned to Suho. “Even Suho hyung is making fun of me.”

 

Suho innocently shook his head. “I’m not! I’m asking for real!”

 

“He can’t see ghosts. Kyungsoo is just like Cyclops. Cyclops has three eyes right? And his third eye is in his forehead. But his third eye is not for seeing ghosts. Just like Kyungsoo’s. So Kyungsoo is Cyclops’ reincarnation!” Baekhyun exclaimed with a big grin.

 

Kyungsoo smacked Baekhyun’s head. “Do you even know who Cyclops is?”

 

“It’s you!” Baekhyun grinned at him. Kyungsoo was about to hit him again but Baekhyun stopped him. “I was just kidding. He’s in Odyssey right?”

 

Kai nodded a sign that he’s agreeing with Baekhyun. “Yes. That’s right. And Homer is the author of that book.”

 

Chanyeol butted in. “I know who Homer is! I know! I know His wife is Marge right? I always watch that when I was a kid! There’s Bart and ”

 

“Were talking about Homer. The author of the Adventures of Odyssey. Not the one in the Simpsons.” Kyungsoo explained to him with a hint of annoyance.

 

Chanyeol’s face fell. “Oh, not Homer Simpsons? I thought it’s him.”

 

“Aish. He’s so stupid.” Kai mumbled as he shook his head teasingly at Chanyeol.

 

“I was just joking! Of course I know who Homer is. That was just an advanced April Fools joke!” Chanyeol reasoned out.

 

“April Fools? But it’s still February 28 today.” Baekhyun said.

 

“That’s why I said it’s in advance!” Chanyeol exclaimed.

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened. *February 28. Today is February 28. And Hana said that her birthday is on 31. Her birthday is already near!* He thought in alarm.

 

“And tomorrow is 29.” Suho added.

 

“There’s no February 29. It’s not a leap year this year Hyung!” Sehun told him.

 

“What? Then what about February 31?” Kyungsoo asked them with a frown. *What about Hana’s birthday?*

 

His friends laughed at him. “Are you also joking huh?” Chanyeol asked him as he slung his arm around Kyungsoo.

 

Kyungsoo shook his head. “I’m not! I’m serious!”

 

“There’s no 30 and 31 in February. Stupid. And I thought you were a scholar. Where did all your genius brains go?” Kai asked him.

 

“But Hana said that her birthday is on 31.” Kyungsoo pouted.

 

“Maybe her birthday is on March 3!” Suho wondered.

 

Kyungsoo just nodded. “That might be right. I’ll just ask her later.” He frowned. *There were only two things he knew about Hana. Her whole name and her birthday. And now he was anxious because the birthday she told him was a false birthday. So that means he only knows one thing about her. Her name. And what if it’s also a fake name? He thought.

 

“So what are you going to do on her birthday? Chanyeol asked him curiously.

 

“Her birthday…? I don’t know yet. I’ll think about it.” Kyungsoo said. *Since she likes to eat, maybe I’ll just cook something. Probably.* he thought.

 

“You should surprise her!” Baekhyun smiled.

 

Kyungsoo turned to him. “Surprise?”

 

 

 

 

Hana went inside a convenience store to buy her favorite jelly beans. And as she went inside, looking for the sweets’ section, she saw Kyungsoo near the staff room talking to an old man. And she supposed that it was the store owner. *Oh right. He works as a part time cashier near his school.* Hana thought as she was about to go to him to say ‘Hi’ but she stopped on her tracks because she overheard what they were talking about.

 

“I’m really sorry but you really have to leave your job as a cashier.” His boss told him.

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened. “What? But why? I didn’t do anything wrong. Why are you suddenly firing me?” He asked as he frowned.

 

There was nothing his boss could put up against him. He was a diligent worker. And he never did anything wrong. He obeyed all his rules and he was never late. Not even once. So why was would he fire him just like that? What was the reason behind this? 

 

“There were six guys who went here yesterday. And they said they’ll destroy this store if I still permit you to work here. I can’t really do anything. They were scary and there’s nothing I can do anymore. I’m really sorry Kyungsoo.” His boss mumbled apologetically as he placed his hand over Kyungsoo shoulder to console him.

 

Hana frowned as she clenched her fists tightly. “It’s Zico.” She mumbled with pure hatred resounding from her voice. *They still won’t stop messing with me. And now even Kyungsoo is being affected.* Hana thought as she eyed Kyungsoo. He looked really dejected.

 

*What about Hana’s birthday?* Kyungsoo thought worriedly.

 

Three more days and it’s her birthday. How would he be able to buy her a gift or cook anything that she will surely like if he’s short on money? Birthdays only comes once in a year. That’s why every birthday is special. And of course he wants to make her birthday special too.

 

His boss gave him an envelope. “Here’s your salary. I added a few bills there as a compensation for you.” he told him before finally going inside the staff room.

 

Kyungsoo just sighed. He can’t really do anything about it at all. *What do I do now?*

 

 

 

 

At the Jjimjilbang,

 

Kyungsoo walked towards Hana and sat beside her. Hana turned to him. “You’re a bit early today. How’s work?” She asked Kyungsoo, still not breaking eye contact with him.

 

Kyungsoo bit his lip and tried to act normal. “It was okay. There were.. few customers so.. I was able to leave early.” He told her.

 

Hana frowned at him. “Is there anything you have to tell me?” She eyed him worriedly. *Why is he lying to me? Why’s he hiding the fact that he was fired and that it was because of me?*

 

“How’s your second day here?” he asked her with his usual bright smile.

 

Hana sighed. *How can you still smile like that when you’re in such a bad situation?* She thought. “Not bad.” Hana shortly answered him.

 

*Is it me or she really looks sad?* Kyungsoo thought. Suddenly, he thought of something. Kyungsoo took out a white envelope from his pocket and waved it in front of her face. “Tadah~!” He beamed at her.

 

“What’s this?” Hana asked him.

 

“I already got my salary earlier. Is there anything you want to eat? Just tell me! I’ll buy it for you.”

 

“There’s none. I’m going to sleep now.” Hana mumbled before finally turning her back on him.

 

Kyungsoo frowned as he watched her walk away. “Did I do something wrong?” He wondered.

 

*Why’s he like this? Why can’t he just tell me his problem? He doesn’t trust me that much? Do I look that weak to him?* She thought as she lied on a mat stil thinking why Kyungsoo was like that.

 

 

=============================================================================