Chapter 14: Period!

Opposites Attract

 

 

 

=============================================================

 

 

  

Hana was awakened with a huge frown on her beautiful face. For some reasons, she feels annoyed. Really annoyed. And she felt a pang of pain in her lower abdomen.  *Could it be…* She felt something wet. She stood up and saw bloodstains on the blanket.

 

“” She cursed as she scratched the back of her neck.

 

It was her time of the month. Her period.

 

Hana quickly went to her drawer to get a pad. But as she opened her drawer, there’s none. She forgot to buy it last week. She bit her lip as she placed her hand on her lower abdomen.

 

“Kyungsoo!” She screamed.

 

No one answered.

 

She looked at the clock beside her bed. 12:30. *He’s still at school.*

 

"Worst day. Ever." She mumbled as she kicked her pillows in annoyance.

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo was at the library with his friends when his phone suddenly rang. He looked at the screen.

 

It was an unknown number.

 

“Who’s that?” Suho asked as he leaned over to see who the caller is.

 

Chanyeol teasingly grinned. “Could it be Yoonjo?”

 

D.O flustered.  *Why would Yoonjo call him right?*

 

Kyungsoo tried to be calm and shrugged. “I don’t know. It’s an unknown number.” He said as he stared at the screen while wondering who it could be. But at the back of his mind there was a tiny hope wishing for the number to be Yoonjo’s.

 

“Don’t answer that. It might be a kidnapper or something.” Suho warned him.

 

Chanyeol nodded. “Yes. Those are really popular these days. Beware hyung.”

 

Kyungsoo just nodded and hid his phone inside his bag. Then he turned back to the book he was reading. *Well if this is really important the caller will reveal himself. Right?*

 

Few minutes later,

 

“Kyungsoo, how do you solve this problem again?”  Suho asked as he pointed on a mathetical problem which I thought him how to solve just a few minutes ago. Or maybe he was just seeing things.

 

He studied the problem for a while. He wasn’t wrong. It was the same problem he asked me to help him earlier. Then Kyungsoo smiled. *It’s pretty easy.* He slowly solved the problem and explained it to him.

 

“You should extract the roots first before you minus the—“

 

“Shut up Hyung. I don’t wanna hear the ‘roots’, ‘minus’ or whatever related to math. It’s irritating.” Chanyeol mumbled as he shook his head with an annoyed face. He was acting like that since he failed the last exam.

 

“You should just study.” Kyungsoo told him. Chanyeol lazily sighed as he took out his phone and started texting his girls. *He’s really…* Kyungsoo shook his head as he focused back on solving the problem.

 

“Hyungs!” Sehun greeted with a smile. Kyungsoo turned to him with a small smile and Suho just waved at him. The few girls around the room squealed at the sight of him. *Yes. That’s our lovely maknae.*

 

Kai and Baekhyun trailed after him with a loud chatter. “Hi guys!” They smiled.

 

Suho didn’t pay attention to them and tapped my shoulder. “Extract the roots, minus the A from B then what?” he asked me. “You should be able to get the first answer from that ---“

 

Baekhyun suddenly whispered something to Kai. And Kai laughed as he bumped his shoulder into Baekhyun’s “HAHAHAHAHA! You’re damn right! Minji and Chanmi are really funny did you see how they--”

 

 “Shut up! I couldn’t hear Kyungsoo because of the noise!” Suho exclaimed at them. Kai made a face at him. “Loser.” He mouthed as he went to his seat. Baekhyun on the other hand zip his lip up and pouted cutely. I smiled. *Suho hyung can really handle the problem well.*

 

Suho just sighed and turned to me. “Again.”

 

 “After extracting the roots, minus A from B. The first answer that you will get will be divided into two. Then that’s it.” I explained as I pointed on the problem in his notebook.

 

Suho nodded with a satisfied smile. “I’m not sure if I can remember that but just in case, I’m going to ask you the same question again later.” He grinned at me.

 

I just nodded. “Sure hyung. I’ll just teach it to you again.”

 

Kai stretched his arms out with a yawn. “Just record it D.O. You’ll get tired of repeating those again and again and again.”

 

Suho turned to him with a glare. “Mind your own business.”

 

 

 

Classes already ended and Kyungsoo was on his way home.

 

Suddenly, his phone rang. Again. He stared at the screen. 16 missed calls. He sighed. Maybe this is an important call. He nodded as he answered the call.

 

“WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING?!” The voice from the other line angrily shouted.

Kyungsoo winced as he placed the phone away from his ears. He stared at his phone weirdly. *That voice sounds familiar… is it..*

 

“YAH! ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME?!” The voice exclaimed.

 

He sighed. He was right. It’s Jung Hana.

 

Kyungsoo carefully placed his phone beside his ear. “Where did you get my number?”

 

“Shut up! I’ve been calling you many times! Why did you only answer now?!”

 

Kyungsoo frowned. “I can hear you. No need to shout. Why did you call anyways?”

 

He heard Hana sigh from the other line.

 

“Listen carefully. I won’t repeat it again.” She instructed.

 

Kyungsoo nodded as he listened at her very carefully.

 

 

 

 

“I need you to buy me a pad.”

 

 

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened as his cheeks turned red. “What? Why? I … I can’t do that!” He blurted out. “I’m a guy!” He reminded her.

 

“Just buy me a pad! I really need it!”

 

Kyungsoo bit his lip and tried to think. *Should I buy her a pad? But it’s embarrassing.*

 

Imagine if he would buy her a pad, he would go through the trouble of choosing one, and he’ll be paying for it. And what’s more is he’s a guy. And he’s going to buy a pad. And that’s extremely embarrassing. What’s more if the cashier is a girl?!

 

“Buy me now! I really need it! It really hurts!”

 

*It… hurts?* He let out a frustrated sigh. There’s nothing he can do anyways. “Fine. I will.” He said even though he really wanted to say no.

 

 

..

 

 

At the convenience store,

 

Kyungsoo shook his head as he made his way in the women’s toiletries section. *I can’t believe I’m doing this.*

 

Kyungsoo grew up in an orphanage. He doesn’t have a little sister and he never met his mother. And he was never asked to buy a pad before. He never thought he’d be buying one now.

 

He looked around the shelves and saw tons of pads. There were many different kinds of it. So many designs. Stars, hearts, different drawings. *What should I buy?* He thought as he scratched his head in confusion.

 

Kyungsoo grabbed a random pad from the shelf and examined it. “For heavy flow… with wings..” He mumbled to himself as he frowned. *What’s with those wings and heavy flow types?* He thought in confusion.

 

 Since he didn’t know what to buy, he took out his phone and dialed Hana’s number.

 

Kyungsoo scratched his head as he blushed. “I …uh… called because I don’t know what to buy.”

 

“I said I really need it right?! Are you doing this on purpose?!”

 

“No! I just don’t know what to buy. There’s so many …pads here. What do you want? What color? What brand?” He innocently asked. “And what type? Is it for heavy flow? With wings or not? Scented or not?” He asked her.

 

Then he heard her groaned in pain. “Are you alright? What’s happening to you?” he worriedly asked.

 

“My lower abdomen hurts like hell. Hurry and buy anything now!” She exclaimed.

 

“Okay! I’ll get a blue one!” Kyungsoo answered as he grabbed a blue pack of pad because it was the closest one to him.

 

“No! Buy something pink!”

 

Kyungsoo eyed his phone as he pouted. *I thought you told me to just buy anything.*

 

 

 

At the counter,

 

 Kyungsoo sighed. All the cashiers are girls. *Great. Just great.* He thought as he walked over to the nearest counter with his head hung low. He couldn’t even look up in embarrassment.

“Good afternoon Sir.” The cashier greeted him with a cheerful smile.

Kyungsoo nodded politely as he placed the pad on the counter shyly. The cashier tried to stop her smile and acted casually.

*She’s laughing at me.* Kyungsoo thought with a pout.

The cashier swiped the pad on the censor twice, but it doesn’t read the price. “Minki-ya, how much is the Princess Pad with Wings. The Heavy Flow Type.” The cashier said loud enough for all the people inside the mart to hear. And they all turned to Kyungsoo while suppressing their laughs.

Kyungsoo blushed as he bit his lip.

Suddenly the guy behind Kyungsoo tapped him at his shoulder. “Is it for your girlfriend?” He asked.

Kyungsoo just awkwardly nodded. *This is the worst day ever.*

The cashier placed the pad in the plastic and gave it to Kyungsoo. “Aren’t you going to buy ointment for abdominal pains Sir? It might lessen the pain for your girlfriend.” She smiled.

*Right. Hana was always saying that it hurts.* He thought with a small nod. “I’ll get one.” He said.

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo hurriedly went towards Hana’s room and he saw her at her bed, twisting in pain. He hurried to her. “Are you okay? Does it really hurt?” He worriedly asked her.

 

Hana turned to him with a glare. “What took you so long?!” She exclaimed as she grabbed the pad from him and headed to the bathroom.

 

Kyungsoo followed her. “I’m sorry. I really don’t know what to buy and you number wasn’t registered on my phone so I thought it was a prank call.”

 

Hana didn’t reply and went inside the bathroom. Kyungsoo absentmindedly followed her. She turned to him. “What are you doing here?”

 

“I’m here to help you. You said you’re in pain right? I was worried so I’m here.” He told her innocently.

 

Hana crossed her arms under her chest and eyed him. “And how would you help me?”

 

Kyungsoo stopped and tried to think. Few seconds later, upon realization, he blushed. “No. What I mean is…”

 

She made a face at him with a small smirk. “ert.”

 

Kyungsoo scrambled to get the right words to explain everything to her in full detail.“No! I was—“

 

Hana stuck her tongue out at him and slammed the door in his face.

 

“Meanie.” Kyungsoo mumbled as he made a face.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Few minutes later, she came out from the bathroom.

 

“What? Are you okay now? How do you feel?” He asked her with worry as he followed her while walking in circles.

 

“I’m fine.” She simply answered.

 

“You sure? I mean.. you’re..” 

 

Hana turned back to him. “I said I’m fine right?”

 

Kyungsoo pouted. “If you say so.” He was just worried about her since she said it was painful. Then he remembered what he bought for her. He took out an ointment from his pocket and gave it to her.

 

“What’s this?” Hana asked as she stared at the ointment weirdly.

 

Kyungsoo scratched the back of his head. “I bought it. You said your lower abdomen hurts right? The cashier told me this works for ..that kind of pain. Just use it.” Kyungsoo mumbled as his cheeks turned red. He just remembered the most embarrassing moment in his life which happened because he bought a pad.

 

Hana nodded. “Okay. I’ll use this. You may go now.”

 

Kyungsoo stared at her in disbelief.

 

“What?” She asked upon noticing that he isn’t going away.

 

“That’s it? Not even a thank you? I ran from school just to buy this. I had trouble in choosing the right one. And I was so embarrassed while I paid for those. Everyone was staring at me and laughing at me. And the cashier was making fun of me. Then I ran towards here again. I was so worried for you because you said you were in pain and that’s it?” He asked her with a disappointed face.

 

Hana smiled and patted his head. “Aigoo. Our Kyungie is mad?” She asked him as she cooed him like he’s a kid.

 

*Kyungie? Aish. This girl.* Kyungsoo lightly pushed her hand away with a small frown.

 

Hana tapped his lower jaw with a grin. “Don’t worry. You did great Kyungie.” She chuckled.

 

Kyungsoo blushed. *She’s clearly making fun of me.* He thought as he looked away. “I’m going.” He mumbled as he quickly went out of her room.

 

“Kyungie! Gomawo!” Hana exclaimed, teasing him.

 

Outside her room,

 

The moment he was out of her room, he leaned at her door. Kyungsoo sighed as he shook his head. “She’s really crazy.” He mumbled to his self not noticing that he was smiling because of her.

 

  

============================================================