Ninety Seven: The Union

Elyxo: Into Your World [UNDER RECONSTRUCTION]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

-Shinhye’s POV-

I was miserable, but a certain part of me was happy, even jovial. I had Chan Yeol to thank for that. He had been very kind to me from the beginning although sometimes, he’d be strict. From the moment I first caught a glimpse of him, mistaking him for an angel, he’d played the part. He always had. I looked out the window. I looked out the window, seeing all f them down the courtyard just returning from a morning walk. Chan Yeol was smiling again. They all seemed happy. I’ve decided on one thing. I could never ever forget these people. They were the first ones to show me kindness apart from my father and Jinhae in the cruel world called humanity. Kindness had been defined to me through them and without a hint of hesitation, they gave it to me.

I had announcements to make. There wasn’t any time to waste. We need to move fast. It was roughly eight weeks before we actually witness the eclipse that would reveal the two lands to each other. I can’t wait to see my sister and meet the other nobles as well, but before that, the unification of the emblems should be done. I wanted it done as soon as possible. If it was possible, we could do it tonight. I’d want to see it for myself. I want to do the process even if the Oracle Minister said that it was ten times worse than the rite to Kiyo before. I couldn’t care less. I want a part of every noble in me although even without it, I knew they’ve always been living in me.

I smiled to myself. It was a fine morning. I gazed down at the nobles, their hair glowing in the morning light like halos. They were really angels, my angels. I treasured each one of them equally though in different ways. Suho oppa was wise and composed, Chan Yeol was my lifeline to whom I owe every breath, Baekhyun was my ray of sunshine, D.O. was my confidant after Baekhyun and my mom in a sense, Kai was one of my secret holders and Sehun was my miracle who made me believe in something to look forward to every single day.

Though I haven’t really had a mother and my own father betrayed me, I met more than a pair of parents that treated me like their own. Harabeoji was the best one yet. I’ve gained sisters and brothers and friends, too. Taemin was one of them. He stood by me for as long as he could and I hoped to meet him again. I loved the people I’ve met while I was in Elyxo and I looked forward to more acquaintances. They are enough to erase the bitter memories of the past and recent.

Jinhae was happy. Although I didn’t communicate with her for the past days, I couldn’t worry about her. She was in good hands. As long as Lu Han doesn’t hurt her, she’ll be fine. I can’t wait for us to meet again. I missed her more than anything in the world and I long to hear her voice, not in m mind, but with m ears. I want to see how she was and continue to take good care of her like I always did.

I gazed down at the others and saw Baekhyun waving at me. I waved back, pulled away from the window and ran down the stairs to meet them. I got there before they could take a step towards the stairs. He opened his arms wide for me and I gladly crashed into him and gave him a hug. I looked at the other then.

“Good morning!”

They greeted me back in chorus.

I winked at Chan Yeol and extended my hand towards him. “Truce?”

He smiled at me and nodded, taking my hand in his. “Truce.”

Kai stood between us, taking my face with both of his hands pressing his forehead against mine. “Another secret?”

I smiled giving him a peck o the cheek much to Sehun’s mortification. “Nothing I’d keep from you though.” I looked around and smiled at Sehun, too, before I took Chan Yeol’s hand. “I’ve got something to tell you guys.”

“What is it?” Suho asked.

Sehun arched a brow at me, his smile falling off his face. This person.

“At breakfast, okay?” I led them to the dining hall. “Sit down.” I went to the pantry then and pulled Chin out of it, into the hall.

‘“You silly little girl. What have you got in mind again?”

I smiled widely at her. “I’ve got an announcement to make. I want you to hear it.”

The moment they were all assembled in the dining hall, I stood behind Chan Yeol. He reached over for me to hold his hand. I looked at the others. Sehun was miserable on his seat. Oh man. “I have something to tell you…” I said breathlessly, looking at Sehun.

He looked down.

“You’ve chosen?” Baekhyun asked.

I nodded.

“Well, you’ve spoiled the surprise by standing there,” D.O. muttered.

“Yah, umma! Stop being so bitter, okay?” I grinned at him. “I still love you no matter what, okay?”

He rolled his eyes, but I could see him fighting a smile.

I breathed in and looked at Chan Yeol. “Should we tell them?”

He nodded and faced forward.

Sehun stood up. “I need to do something.”

“Nobody leaves this room,” I said firmly, closing all the doors. I grinned at him and he just stood by the wall.

“Okay,” Kai began. “I will pretend to be surprised. Who is it, princess?” He smirked at Chan Yeol then looked at Sehun. “Which one?”

I smiled. “I am happy to say that I chose you…” Park Chan Yeol, I’m letting go, too, because that’s what would make you happy, but please remember that I would never ever forget all the love and kindness you have shown to me. Thank you so much.

Time seemed to have stopped when I said that. Sehun just stared at the floor.

“I love you…”

Chin’s hand flew to as tears of joy sprung from her eyes. Suho oppa blinked rapidly, probably wondering why I was smiling at Sehun while I was holding onto Chan Yeol.

“I get it,” Sehun murmured.

“…Oh Sehun.” I smiled to myself, not feeling any kind of embarrassment. I was proud. “I chose to be with you…”

 

-Sehun’s POV-

“I have something to tell you,” Shinhye said, her voice ringing through my ears, bouncing back from wall to wall until it faded and everyone just watched her, anticipating her words.

“You’ve chosen?” Baekhyun hyung asked.

Most definitely. I saw it in the way she looked at Chan Yeol hyung. ‘Truce,’ she said just moments ago, her eyes sparkling like they always did. She was glowing with happiness as she held onto the Flame Noble’s hand, but what puzzled me was the way she smiled at me as if she saw something amusing. Although it stung whenever she showed affection to the other nobles, it hurt more whenever it was Chan Yeol hyung. I was used to her interaction with Baekhyun hyung and Kai, but I do not think I would find it in me to see her with Chan Yeol hyung before she even declared that he was her choice.

My notions were confirmed when she nodded, that lovely smile still plastered on her face.

D.O. hyung shot her an irritated look. “Well, you’ve spoiled the surprise by standing there.”

She pretended to scowl at him. “Yah, umma! Stop being so bitter, okay? I still love you no matter what, okay?”

I looked down, unable to see D.O. hyung’s reaction when Kai and Baekhyun snickered on their seats.

“Should we tell them?” she asked. I guess she was talking to Chan Yeol hyung.

I couldn’t take it anymore. Though I didn’t see the look on his face, I just knew how triumphant it looked like. I couldn’t blame him though. I shook my head, trying to shut them off.  “I need to do something,” I said and I stood up, pushing the chair behind me when the doors suddenly slammed shut, Shinhye’s courtesy. I looked at her.

“Nobody leaves this room.” Her tone dripped of amusement and bossiness.

I sighed impatiently, but she still grinned at me. Was she really planning to kill me by letting me hear the words she would say to Chan Yeol hyung. Was she toying with me? I couldn’t really put a finger to what I felt. Resentment? Sadness? It was beyond what I could comprehend, but it sure was painful, spreading from my chest as my heart raced, proliferating through my whole chest then to my extremities until it got to my head.

Kai began to speak. “Okay, I will pretend to be surprised. Who is it, princess? Which one?”

She smiled, almost giggled. “I am happy to say that I chose you.”

The room went silent.

“I love you.”

I started walking away, tears stinging my eyes. I knew it would hurt, but I didn’t expect it to be so painful. It’s like dying and living over and over again, not stopping, just inflicting more pain as I took my final breath repeatedly.

“Oh Sehun,” she said.

I stopped on my tracks, shutting my eyes momentarily before I faced her again with a questioning look about my face.

She smiled tenderly, shifting behind where Suho hyung sat down. She held onto the back of his chair and breathed out. “I chose to be with you.”

I just looked at her, waiting for the words to be absorbed by my brain. My mind wasn’t playing tricks on me because I was so distraught, was it? I heard that, didn’t I? My brows shot up and I looked around. The first person I saw was Kai, his mouth stretching into that happy grin mixed with puzzlement. I looked down the floor then back at Shinhye. She still stood there, looking expectant. She glanced at Chan Yeol, in a state of panic.

“Sehun –” Suho hyung said, but I stopped him.

I raised a hand at him. “Am I awake?” I asked, feeling foolish even to myself. I must’ve looked like that, too. I was standing in the dining hall, I knew that, but it’s surreal.

Shinhye nodded.

“So…”

“Yeah?”

“I heard you say it?”

Chan Yeol hyung shrugged. “Well, this is anticlimactic.” He made a face at me. “Do you want her to take it back?”

I shook my head slowly.

Shinhye just smiled. “Guys, I’ll just…” She pointed outside then walked towards the veranda, puffed her cheeks as she walked then released the air, perplexed. “What the hell?” she murmured then jumped off the ledge, landing with a dull thud before I heard her footsteps crunching against the gravel followed by a loud sound wave and cracking wood. I saw a tree fall from my periphery as she passed through the forest.

“Aigoo, maknae, that was stupid,” Suho hyung said to me, standing up with a grin as he crossed his arms. He shook his head with a hint of amusement about his face.

“Ahn Shinhye said she loves you and all you could do is stand there like an immobilized oaf?” D.O. hyung seconded.

Chan Yeol hyung looked stumped. “I can’t believe I’m giving her up for someone so slow.”

Baekhyun hyung stood up from his seat, patted my shoulder and shook his head at me.

Only Kai seemed sympathetic. I would have to admit that I was shocked, sad then shocked again. It was insane.

“GO GET HER!” Chin yelled at me.

Startled, I took a step towards the door. I didn’t know where I was going.

“Dude, she’s that way,” Kai said, pointing at the woods.

I smile at all of them, bowed then nodded at Chan Yeol hyung who rolled his eyes at me. I ran towards the veranda, phased and scoured the woods for my missing maiden. Where could she have run to?

I passed the orchard and clearing, but she was nowhere to be seen. I assumed my mortal form and searched for her on foot. “Shinhye?” I called, but no one answered. I continued to search, passing deeper into the forest when I heard splashing water from the nearby stream. I frowned, but followed the sound anyway. There, I found her, her trousers folded up to her knees as the water reach just a few inches above her ankles. She was bending down, probably trying to catch a fish with her hand. I smiled at her as she caught one, lifted it out of the water and flinched. The fish slipped from her hand and fell back into the water. She kicked on the water, looking frustrated.

I removed my boot and folded my breeches as well, quietly joining her in the stream. She didn’t even look at me even while I was making noises already. She just faced the other way, fixated at whatever she was looking at. I think

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter