Blood of the Kirin

Elyxo: Into Your World [UNDER RECONSTRUCTION]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

YI XING

 

Things had gone from bad to worse. From the time I left the capital nearly two months ago and took my first step into Hailesia, I’ve seen the damages done by the plague of the wind to smite all the vegetation from the vast prairies to the deep forests. Everywhere I went, I saw nothing but death hovering close. Without the crops, the people would suffer from widespread famine, not only in the city, but in the neighboring places as well. Orodia, the land of the Time Nobles, had been suffering from the same plague near its borders and it had caused quite a stir among the people. They’ve been using all the resources they had for that area alone and some neighboring Glacians were already helping, but it was to no avail.

 

The plague was carried by the wind itself. It was unstoppable and on top of that, it couldn’t be detected. It was like seeing myself in my depressed state when all the things I come near to would either die or get ill. I shielded my eyes as I looked up to the blistering sun. Summer was beginning in all of Meropia and it brought a new sense of dread in me, worse than anything else. With the lands dry and with no hope of rain coming, everyone was in danger of what might come next. It wasn’t just the massive scale dearth, but it also entailed a lot more.

 

After the wind came the plague of the flame. The decay from the crops soon became dried debris that would easily ignite with the slightest of sparks. I’ve managed to restore more than half of the land. Abundance ignited in the land once more and the people were as happy as they can be, but I couldn’t stop the fire from spreading over the dried lands. The people in those areas of Hailesia were robbed of their lives and burned ruthlessly as well. I couldn’t help it but feel enraged whenever I hear news about it from the messengers. I sought help from the oracles, but they provided no solutions, at least not lasting ones.

 

The noble family of Zhang had convened and I felt the pressure in their mere stares, especially the elders. They all looked up to me with great expectations I’ve never even dreamt of. The thought of my father would always cross my mind whenever I felt hardships. He would know just how to handle matters, but he was gone. My mother had been very comforting through those times and we’ve solved the problem with the help of those who had the similar ability as I did. They all gave their everything to keep the enemies at bay, but we were helpless with the strike of the next plague.

 

Not two weeks ago, a whole village burned down. It happened to be near the lifeless region of the country and they were severely affected by it. They had to escape the place, but still, many lives were spent, lost and wasted because of this foolishness the River Guardians had brought upon them. I didn’t understand them. They were killing the very people that served and protected Elyxo, created by supreme beings and yet there they were, wreaking havoc over the lands they took pride in.

 

That same day I came to help, the others who were in the capital summoned me through the crystal. Jinhae was there. It was a bad time for them to have contacted me and I saw the horror in her eyes when she saw what had become of a once lively town. I didn’t have the words to comfort her then as I didn’t have any to comfort myself. Only Lu Han was there for her to cry on and it made me even more frustrated that I couldn’t be with her. I couldn’t even touch her and for as long as this plague lasted, that would be the case. As much as it tore on me to be away from her, I had no choice but to stay until this madness stops. I wouldn’t win at this rate.

 

I looked around me once more from where I stood on the balcony of my family’s manor. I used to always play there while my mother knitted on her rocking chair just by the corner of the den. Sometimes, I would listen to stories of the old, the origin of Elyxo and the like. I used to enjoy being there, but even the comforting sound of her chair right now as she accompanied me wasn’t helping me calm down. I knew the servants guards were keeping watch on the planes and hills, but I couldn’t rest easy knowing that the plague might strike anytime.

 

“Yi Xing,” I heard my mother’s tender voice from where she sat.

 

I turned to face her, a lady in her late forties, but still flowing with youthfulness and beauty. “Yes, mother?” I answered, trying to keep a good disposition in front of her. She was already stressed enough from all that was happening and the least I could do was to show her that everything was going to be alright, that I would do all that I can to restore Hailesia back to its previous state.

 

Her brows creased a fraction, but she wasn’t frowning at all. “You’ve been standing there for hours now. Why don’t you sit down?” she told me gently, gesturing to the chair that was beside her rocking chair.

 

I did as I was told and sat down. “I’m not tired at all.”

 

She broke into a smile then as she patted my back. I’ve just begun to realize how much I’ve missed that. “My Yi Xing, do not worry. Everything will be back to normal before you know it.”

 

I took her hand and let my mind soak in to the lovely warmth. She never seems to run out of it even in the direst moments, not even after my father passed. I planted a gentle kiss on her knuckles, shutting my eyes for a while as if to find refuge from all the trouble. “I know that. I have faith in our people.”

 

She patted my shoulder. “You’ve grown into a fine lad. It felt like yesterday when you were running around with your friends just by the hills and listening intently to all my stories.” Her eyes softened. “But even then, you had the makings of a fine boy.”

 

I smiled, but I couldn’t take it all in. I’ll never be the man that her husband was. He was a great man and everyone looked up to him. They look up to me now, but I can’t ke

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter