Fifty Five: Phantom Lover

Elyxo: Into Your World [UNDER RECONSTRUCTION]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

-Shinhye’s POV-

What the hell did I just say to him? Why the hell did I even say that? I felt like smacking myself on the head for blurting something like that out. The moment the Flame Noble’s name came out of my mouth there was just no stopping it. It’s like a chain reaction. Of course. Since Sehun had been pressing on the subject and I said something stupid, he would surely use it against me. Maybe he’ll blackmail me with it in the future. I laughed bitterly at myself as I stared up at the ceiling of his bedroom.

I found his reaction to it the oddest of all. He tried to kiss me, too. I was sure. I’ve read his thoughts. I knew what he was about to do. It’s precisely why I told him those things, why I mentioned Chan Yeol’s name. I wanted to hold him back. I was being honest with him anyway. It’s true when I said I didn’t want any more confusion and the cause was none other than him. I don’t know why, but those two just brings out the honest thoughts in me. No matter how much I wanted to suppress myself from saying something personal to them, I can’t.

I needed someone to talk to. I wish I could do it face to face with Jinhae, but with the circumstances, I’ve gotten used to speaking to her even if it was just in my thoughts. It was a good thing that I needn’t be tired of doing it. I could do it anytime I wanted. I concentrated as I closed my eyes, still lying flat, looking for her thoughts.

‘Jinhae?’

Silence. I couldn’t find her. She must be preoccupied with something. I tried finding the people I’ve seen in her thoughts. The most dominant ones were the two people who were trying to win her affection – the Healing Noble and the Telepathy Noble. I smiled to myself. She’s got problems of her own, too. I started wondering if I could intercept their thoughts by channeling it through her. She could read their thoughts, too, except that she did it a little less often than I did. Like her, I didn’t like intruding in the private thoughts of the people around me except when I needed to.

It was a traumatic experience having to hear the thoughts of the people in the human world. They kept secrets darker than what I’ve thought. I was glad that I found the ability to control it in Elyxo or it would really be embarrassing especially when I get to see through their subconscious. Yes, that includes Suho oppa. I let my mind wander through the house as I looked for a resolve. I didn’t know how I would look at Sehun or Chan Yeol. Different from the times when we would fight and I’d stare them down, I can’t do that now.

Suho oppa was in the den, reading as usual. I tried to scan what he was reading about and it turned out that he was looking for a weakness in the purists’ side. I should be doing the same. I shrugged the thought off. I’ve helped. That’s enough for now. Besides, they refused to let me. The time will come. I found D.O.’s next. He was watching Chin cook. I didn’t know the Earth Noble actually had a soft spot for cooking. I’d take note to make him cook our dinner once to encourage him. Chan Yeol was thinking about that thing. I scanned the manor for other thoughts. I found Kai’s. He was thinking about what he saw. What the hell? Among all the people in the house, he had the dirtiest thoughts and he was thinking about me and Sehun. I shook my head, getting out of his head. He was going way off base. He was with Baekhyun who was about to come looking for me, but where was Sehun? I couldn’t find him anywhere.

I got up from the bed hurriedly made my way to my room, leaving the pearls underneath Sehun’s pillow. I’ll get it when the right time comes. I didn’t know why he made me keep it, but now isn’t just the right moment to get them from him. He probably had a hard time processing that fact in his mind. I did. I shook my head and went to my room. It was getting dark, too. I had to get changed for dinner.

I met Baekhyun on my way there and he looked relieved to see me. It’s one of the rare times we wouldn’t spend the day together. He waved at me slightly.

“Hello~!”

I returned the greeting with a smile. “Looking for me?”

He nodded. “I’ve heard that you cleaned Sehun’s room.”

“Yeah. It’s done.” I grinned at him. “Missed me?”

He ruffled my hair. “Yes.”

I smiled widely at him. “Want to help me choose a dress?”

“Dress?”

“Yes.” I felt like sulking when I remembered that little fact. I’ve only got dresses left in my closet since almost all of my clothes were with Chin in the clothesline. Haven’t they heard of a dryer? It’s got me frustrated. “Unless you’d let me borrow one of your breeches.”

He looked at me, mortified. “You want to wear my clothes?” He shook his head. “That won’t do. Let’s settle for the dress, alright?”

I chuckled. “Fine.” I opened the door and he followed close behind me. I opened the closet and took out two sundresses, one was green and the other was yellow. I turned around and found him seated on the divan, observing me. I showed them both to him, raising them so he’d see. “So? Which one do you like?”

“You’re letting me choose?” he asked.

I nodded. “I told you, right?”

“You want me to choose because?”

I smiled at him when I got what he was trying to say. “Because I’m dressing up for you,” I told him.

“Really?”

I nodded. “So which one?”

He eyed the two dresses and made a face at the green one. “I don’t like that.” He pointed at it.

I shrugged. “Yeah. Neither do I. It’s a gift from the human world. I don’t really like wearing dresses.”

“I know,” he said and took the green one from me. “I’ll return this and you change, alright?”

I nodded and went into the adjoined bath, taking a quick shower before changing into the yellow dress. I tied the straps and just stared at myself in the mirror. If I could change the consistency of matters then…I touched my hair and they curled into large spirals just how I wanted them. I smiled to myself and walked out of the bathroom, looking for my straw wedges.

Baekhyun turned around to look at me. “I chose well.”

“You did,” I acceded with a slight laugh.

“You look beautiful.”

“Thank you, Baekhyun.” I beamed at him as I rummaged inside my suitcase to look for the forgotten wedges. I liked him. He doesn’t mean anything else apart from he says unlike two people I know. “I don’t really like wearing them either, but yeah…”

“Those are odd looking shoes,” he told me.

“Tell me about it.” I sat on the divan.

“I’ll be downstairs if you need me. I regret not being able to you to the hall.”

I waved him aside. “Don’t worry about it. I got this.” I winked at him.

He nodded and exited the room while I put on the shoes. I looked at myself from the wall-sized mirror at the side of the room. I smirked at myself. “Now Jinhae would like that,” I whispered to myself. It was like looking at her. I tried to intercept her thoughts once more, but to no avail. I couldn’t find her. A surge of fear assaulted me and I suddenly felt like I’ve swallowed whole ice cubes. I shook my head. She was in good hands. I didn’t have to worry. I’ll plague those nobles’ heads with nightmares if they allow even a strand of hair on my sister’s head out of place.

I turned away from the mirror and proceeded to the dining hall. As I was descending the stairs, I met Sehun. He merely stared at me. I nodded at him and continued my descent and motioned to the doors when he stopped me, grabbing my forearm gently. I nearly shivered at his touch.

“Yes, Sehun?” I didn’t want the awkwardness to resurface.

“You look…” his voice trailed off.

“Yeah. I look weird.”

He shook his head. “No. You’re beautiful.”

I chuckled. “Thanks. Baekhyun chose my dress.” I motioned to twist the knob, but he took my hand and stared at me intensely. “Wae?”

He sighed. “I just want you to know that…er…you don’t have to stress over what happened. Y-you know what I’m talking about.”

“Yeah. I know. You were joking to make me admit it. That’s fine.” My subconscious rolled her eyes at me, but I ignored the nagging feeling. I twisted the knob and walked into the room. “Any last request before the day is over?” I asked him.

He shook his head.

“Okay.” I strode in and the first thing I noticed was four pairs of eyes gawking at me. I smirked. “Hey now. I didn’t grow an extra head, did I?”

Kai shook his head and I was able to take a quick sweep through his thoughts. He shook his head. “N-no. Of course not.” He looked down.

I tutted. “Watch your thoughts now, Young Master of Portia. Nothing happened, right?”

“Sorry.”

I smiled and caught a glimpse at Chan Yeol. He was looking at Sehun who merely walked towards a chair, pulled it out then motioned for me to sit there. He sat down on the one next to it. I just stood there, noticing Kai’s obvious observation as to what I would do. Chan Yeol was doing the same thing, too. I rolled my eyes. What’s with them? They seemed to be stuck with the thoughts that were pestering them since earlier. I wanted to tell them to move on, but I myself couldn’t do it so I just let it pass on.

“Aren’t you going to sit yet?” Suho oppa asked.

I nodded and sat down beside Sehun, eyeing him meaningfully before facing forward. He just shrugged me off. Now his words are at odd to his actions. Arrogant Wind Noble!

“How was your day?” oppa asked me.

“It was fine.”

“Are you alright now?” he asked.

“I was, I am and I’ll always be.” I smiled at him. “Don’t worry about me.” Geez! Does he have to make things even more knotted?

He flashed that signature smile. “You’re a vision, by the way.”

I couldn’t help but laugh. “Why, thank you.”

Chan Yeol almost spit out the tea he was drinking.

I looked at him. “Are you okay?” I asked him. He looked pale.

He nodded.

“Do like not, Chan Yeol hyung,” Sehun drawled. “Don’t you agree with Suho hyung?”

I was torn between laughter and chiding him so I just glanced at him again. He merely smiled and looked at the Flame Noble.

“Sh-she is…I m-mean you are.” He loosened his collar then looked at me. “You are.”

The cunning person beside me smiled like an innocent little child. “See, Shinhye?” ‘I’d wager he’s smitten.’

He thought that on purpose. I just ignored him until they served dinner and his brain began working again. I was in the middle of cutting my steak when suddenly, he thought of something that made me drop my fork with a clatter on the plate

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter