Sixty Nine: Odium

Elyxo: Into Your World [UNDER RECONSTRUCTION]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

-Jinhae’s POV-

I heard everything.

I sighed. That morning when we were about to leave for Electrius, I heard what Chen told Lay. I understood that it was just their way to make me forget about Lu Han being gone for the meantime, but they shouldn’t have. Their efforts are being wasted on something trivial. Yes, it was true that I can’t help but feel sad that he was gone, but they should also just forget about it since I was coping quite well. It didn’t matter to me anymore. He can do whatever he wants. He has a mind of his own, he’s a grown up for Pete’s sake and besides, we should understand him. Everyone’s just being forced to do these blasted deadly tasks for the betterment of Elyxo. If he doesn’t want to do what he has to then it’s fine. We all have our choices and he made his. It was high time the others made theirs as I have made mine.

I chose to be okay. I chose to be fine though I was constantly worrying what he was up to. I don’t know why he didn’t understand, but as long as the others did, that’s fine. I felt the way I did because I also valued his opinion especially that he can read minds like I did. Knowing the truth isn’t always bliss for us and having to read what went on through his mind when I revealed what I was really like as a half blood made my blood curdle. He just wanted to leave and spend some time away from me like I was some pariah, period. I was hurt, of course, but that’s not his fault if he suddenly felt like not accepting facts for the meantime.

‘Hello. This is Lu Han’s Subconscious Mind Department. I’m not available as of the moment to accept truths. Please leave a message after the beep.’ I could imagine him saying that with the matching British accent. Ugh! Still, I couldn’t blame him. Who wanted that kind of life anyway? He worried for me. He was worried about our future and by that I meant his relationship with me which was uncertain to him until now, except that I think we were friends…special friends. Ugh! Who was I kidding? He actually immediately thought that I would leave and upon discovering that, I was expecting him to at least be there for me, but yeah, he just decided to vanish.

I guess that was good for me. It’s one less person to worry about once I leave. I’ve never really told the others about my twin sister’s plan since I couldn’t actually tell them about her and I was afraid to tell them, too. I was being pathetic. Shinhye had already told the nobles of Krointhia. It was by accident, but at least she had the guts to stand up for her words despite of their reactions while I, on the other hand, didn’t like the idea of goodbyes at all. She didn’t either, but she was actually strong to have been able to manage without wavering even as the Flame Noble began treating her as if she was invisible. They’ve made up and I think they made more than that, but she’s just not telling. I could feel it with the way she’s blocking certain areas of her thoughts. Oh well. She’s got a life of her own to worry about and yet she doesn’t fail to check on me.

As for Chen and Lay’s efforts, I was more than glad for it, but it just isn’t working. I was used to seeing six people whenever I look behind me to see who’s got my back. Five were left, but there was a gaping hole somewhere between them and I knew they felt it, too. They just weren’t saying. Now I knew what they say about less being more. I made an effort to be happy for them mainly because I didn’t know what’s driving Lay to do what he does anymore. I already knew how he felt about me and it’s got me confused, too. For some reason, I felt his usual warmth wavering. I didn’t know the reason, but lately, his disposition towards me became even more fervent which was unnerving.

We’ve gotten to Electrius the day before and it had been filled with complications, more than I was expecting. I’ve already known for a fact that Chen, Kim Jongdae as they called him in his homeland, hated the name as well as the prospect of going back home. No has revealed to me yet why, but whatever reason he had, he still made it through alive even if he said we should leave him by the border. He was acting so weird and everyone was, too. I had to laugh to myself when I saw them all glancing at his direction when we were approaching his electrifying land and I mean that in the literal way.  I could have fallen off from my Nephylus because of the speed it was traveling in, avoiding all those lightning bolts, and they couldn’t have noticed it. It was only later in the evening when they told me that we were actually being attacked. How fun was that? Lucky Lulu didn’t have to experience that. He’s away, lounging around while we all fought for our survival. That was just so fair.

Complication number two is the matter about Chen’s relationship with his parents and his whole family, extended ones included. I didn’t understand why at first, but seeing how his father was, I guess that sort of made matters worse. His mother was a sweet, loving angel just like Kris and Lay’s were, insisting that we stay in the castle, but Chen was stubborn enough to make his own decision to house us at this other castle they had.

Honestly, how rich were this people? Back in the human world, Shin, appa and I had a two-bedroom apartment with creaking stairs and doors, not to mention a hag for a landlady. That was normal, but in Elyxo, the nobles were…what can I say? Nobles in every sense of the word with numerous properties that exceeded that of the royal family in England? I wouldn’t be surprised if one of them actually kept a whole room of diamonds in their homes. They didn’t have banks so they had that. I was certain. Where else would they be keeping their riches?

Anyway, going back to his father, he had a rather aggravating attitude that made me want to squeeze his brains out. Kim Jong Sik, lord of the Electra Mansion was trying to be amiable and funny around me, but to Chen, he was an iron-fisted father. He wanted his son to achieve perfection when to me, Chen was as perfect as he could get along with the others. I was glad that my father wasn’t like him.

Chen didn’t even make an effort to hide his disgust towards his rather manipulative father and very submissive mother. I guess he hated them for that reason. He didn’t want to be in the capital although he said that he wanted to fulfill his duty to the land which had been going great so far. I didn’t see why his father couldn’t take pride in that. What kind of parent wouldn’t be proud about that, considering how smart and responsible he was?

Anyway, I was glad to have stayed in another one of their homes. I didn’t think I would be able to bear his father’s litanies for him. He didn’t seem to fear that it would take a blow on his son’s self esteem whenever he scolds him or tells him negative things in front of other people and his friends, too. Of course, we all thought differently and I heard Kris telling him so, but what the hell was wrong with Daddy Lightning? It makes me want to speak up to him if only it wouldn’t be a form of disrespect to do so.

So there I was, sitting on one of the lounge chairs at the veranda of their cliff-side manor, taking in the magnificent view of the southern sea. The waves crashing through the shore made that rather calming sound. It was meshed with the hoof beats of the kirins running in reckless abandon around the edge of the forest, neighing without a car in the world. I wish I could feel as free as they were.

“Good afternoon,” someone suddenly said from behind me in that familiar, soft-spoken voice. I could already imagine him smiling as he walked over.

I didn’t turn to face him, but I smiled to myself. “Hi, Lay,” I returned the greeting, standing up and walking towards the balustrade. I find this situation so funny that I couldn’t face him just like that time when we were still in Aria and I didn’t want to face Lu Han. He told me not to shun him and yet he did the exact same thing to me. What the hell, Lu Han? I smiled to myself like an idiot. Wait! Why was I even thinking about that person? Delete that!

 ‘If I were you, I’d just go for Mr. Unicorn,’ Shinhye suddenly butted in to my thoughts. ‘He’s got a gorgeous smile and he’s very smart, too.’

‘So is Lu Han,’ I told her and she started laughing.

‘Ha! I knew it!’

‘Knew what?’

‘You’re in love with Lu Han!’ she sounded like she was accusing me of some crime.

‘No, I’m not!’

‘Then why do those huge, saucer-like eyes ambush me whenever I try to keep tabs on your head? Aigoo~!’

I shrugged. ‘It’s not like that okay! I’m just so mad at him –’

‘You’re mad because he left you?’

‘Yes…No! Ugh! It’s nothing like that. It’s not just me, you know.’

‘Yeah. All the other nobles are sad, too, but you’re even more distraught since the most important knight left you. Sad movies make me cry, you know.’

‘Shinhye!’ I complained.

‘Come on, Jinhae. He already left and I know just what you saw in his head. If there’s no hope with him then maybe you should choose someone else.’

‘Like you’re choosing the Wind Noble over the Flame Noble?’

She was clearly taken aback by that. ‘What the hell are you saying? We’ve just gotten closer, you silly person.’

‘And you found him more appealing, right?’

‘Huh?’ She rolled her eyes, going through hysterics. ‘I can’t believe you just said that! Maybe you do.’ There was a pause then she suddenly practically screamed in her head. ‘Ha! Do you like Oh Sehun? You do know how he looks like and I saw such an uncanny resemblance between him and your little doe-eyed love nugget!’

‘Give me a break. Maybe you like him.’

‘No, I don’t, at least not like that, but he’d really hot, you know. Ugh! It’s so hard to choose between two supermodels!’

Oh my goodness. ‘Did you just act boy-crazy? Did you just…Oh my god! Who are you and what have you done to my sister?’

She laughed. ‘I was kidding, of course. I don’t even want to choose. It’s weird. They’re all my friends and we’re both going to leave them anyway so I don’t see the point in that.’

‘You lay it all down so callously. What if you fall in love, too?’

‘Nah!’

This girl! ‘Don’t be so sure about it, you.’

‘I will, but not enough to make me stay…probably. Sheesh. Who cares anyway? What’s important is that you like Lu Han and that’s final. Not even Mr. Sunshine Smile can change your mind about it.’

‘It’s not even that.’

‘Then what? You’re clearly upset that he left because he couldn’t accept what you really are. So much for being in love.’

‘I’m not in love with him.’

‘Yeah, but think about it.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter