Through the Eyes of the Innocent

Elyxo: Into Your World [UNDER RECONSTRUCTION]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

JINHAE

 

I sat on one of the corners of the room, reading a book, well, pretending to be. The nobles were discussing about their next moves while Lady Jiao Liang listened as she sat beside her son. She would give her suggestions from time to time and they’ll all brainstorm about it. It felt weird. It was like being inside the conference room of a big company where they’d mention words like ‘feasibility’ and ‘contingency plan’. Yeah. It’s very businesslike.

 

I just wished I could join them. All they do is protect me and I envied my sister for having the ability to actually help them both in thinking about plans and direct combat. Shinhye actually brought down a whole troop of purist soldiers in Korinthia which was ghastly, but at the same time an undeniably great achievement for a girl her age. I, on the other hand, just taught them certain tactics that I’ve learned before. I didn’t think I had anything good to say so I just stayed quiet and listened to their plans, secretly watching the mother and son.

 

Looking at them made me feel lonely. It was supposed to be a happy sight yet I couldn’t help but feel forlorn whenever I watch them. Shinhye and I never met our mother and we never will because of our father’s stupidity. I can realize why Shinhye hated him so much. He was scheming yet foolish enough to have betrayed her like that and escape to the human world with us. I wished I’ve met her, but that’s just futile.

 

“We are going to travel up north to Aria on the dawn of the new moon,” I heard Xiu Min say, but the rest of his words faded in my ear as I busied myself with staring past them.

 

Yi Xing would bring his mother flowers every morning. During meals, she’d give his food, makes servings for them and sometimes cut them for him as well. She made sure that he was comfortable and would always ask after his health. My father also did that before, but not in the same depth as his mother was doing to him. It was like magic. I don’t really understand it, but it was a beautiful feeling to imagine how it would be to have such a kind mother. I’ve seen it in the human world, too. Dad was great. He gave us everything we needed and most of the time, he buys us stuff, but at times, it felt like he was just doing them because he’s obligated to. It’s completely different. No wonder Shin turned out that way.

 

‘Reminiscing about what could have been?’

 

I blinked slowly, realizing that the voice came from my head.

 

‘How could you even feel that way? We never knew her.’

 

She was talking about our mother now.

 

‘No, I’m not.’

 

‘Really?’

 

‘Yes. It’s just that Yi Xing’s mother is so kind.’

 

‘Our mother’s dead.’

 

I tensed. She was really cold about it. ‘You don’t have to remind me.’

 

‘Stop feeling down.’

 

‘I’m not.’

 

‘You just wish we had a mother.’

 

‘Don’t you wonder about it?’

 

‘Sometimes, but I don’t envy people with mothers. We turned out fine, didn’t we?’

 

I shrugged. ‘You’re right.’

 

‘You’re lucky.’

 

‘Eh? You lost me there.’

 

‘You can go and see her.’

 

I made a face. ‘I’m just as incapable as you are.’

 

‘No, you’re not. You have the Time Noble.’

 

‘Tao?’

 

‘Tao, Mao, whatever. You have him. You can ask him to bring you back.’

 

Realization dawned to me. “I can actually do that?” I asked, saying it out loud.

 

They all looked at me. Snap! I just smiled. “Sorry. I got carried away by my thoughts.” I raised the book again and pretended to read. I can hear Shinhye laughing. They must think we’re both crazy reacting to things inside our heads.

 

‘Stop laughing, you. You got caught last night, too.’

 

‘It’s funny. We talk yet we can’t tell them why.’

 

‘Thanks for the idea anyway.’ I sighed.

 

“What do you think, Jinhae?” Yi Fan suddenly said, looking at me.

 

“Eh?”

 

He frowned. “What do you think about going to Aria first?” he repeated slowly. Geez. Does he have to make it that obvious that I wasn’t paying attention?

 

I just smiled. “Fine by me.”

 

He nodded then looked at the others. “We’re set for Aria then.”

 

‘That was a close call, Jin.’ She was still laughing at me.

 

Suddenly, the door opened to accommodate Xiao. He bowed. “Master Yi Xing?”

 

Yi Xing immediately got up. “Yes, Xiao?”

 

“Miss Ling has arrived.”

 

“I see.” He smiled brightly. “We’ll be there in a while.”

 

“Ling?” Tao asked. “Who’s Miss Ling?”

 

“Splendid,” Lady Jiao Liang said. “I’ll be off to the hospice now.”

 

She seemed pleased. Who was this Ling girl? Was she the one Lady Jiao Liang left Yi Xing to when she couldn’t take care of him? I wasn’t pleased at all. She stood up and exited the room with a flourish. I snapped the book close.

 

‘Are you jealous? You don’t even know who the person is,’ Shinhye told me.

 

I rolled my eyes when they all looked at me. ‘I’m not. I’m just wondering who she is.’

 

“You didn’t answer me yet,” Tao said.

 

Very good, Tao. I want to know who she is, too, I thought, but Yi Xing just smiled and said, “You’ll see.”

 

I realized that I didn’t want to know who she was after all. I opened the book again, remaining on my seat while all of them stood up, ready to meet this Ling person. I pretended not to notice them and just looked down at the book.

 

“Aren’t you coming?” Lu Han asked me.

 

I looked up. “Can’t I just stay here?” I snapped. They all seemed surprised that I was capable.

 

Yi Xing looked at me from behind Xiu Min. “She came here to meet you.”

 

“Yeah?” That’s a surprise. “Whatever for?”

 

He chuckled. “Who wouldn’t want to meet the prophesied maiden?”

 

What was I now? A spectacle? “Right,” I said sarcastically.

 

‘Cool it, sis,’ Shinhye told me.

 

‘I’m definitely cool, Shin,’ I answered.

 

‘I can see that.’

 

I ignored her and I stood up, ignoring Yi Xing’s proffered hand as I walked past him, pretending not to notice. I saw him frown, but he just shook his head and watched me go. I saw his reflection through the silver jar by the door and followed Xiao. He led us to the drawing room and when we got there, I was surprised to see a little girl in pigtails, bouncing on her seat as she marveled at the room. She had wide eyes filled with curiosity and unending questions while she grinned in a carefree manner.

 

“Ling,” Yi Xing greeted the little girl fondly and ran

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter