Eighty Three: Hollow Man

Elyxo: Into Your World [UNDER RECONSTRUCTION]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

A/N: Well, hello there, pretty fireflies~! I've updated as promised and yeah, I hope you would enjoy reading this as much as I've enjoyed writing it. Thans so much for all your support since the beginning of this fic. Anyway, since I couldn't give you any gifts, I'll give you what you were wishing for...ahahaha...Merry Christmas to all of you. I hope you're all having a great time. May you get what your heart desires this holiday season~! Here's my gift~!

 

 

 

-Chan Yeol’s POV-

I immediately hopped out of the carriage that Kai had left for us to ride on before he disappeared to his mission. It hasn’t even stopped, but I was eager to get out and just run my way up to the mansion. I saw Suho hyung shaking his head at me the moment I opened the door and jumped out. Can he blame me though? I was ecstatic that I can finally be with Shinhye after a long time of waiting. Every moment seemed like eternity since the time they teleported to Portia without us. I wondered how she was really fairing at a time like this. She knew about the convention of the elders for Kai’s departure and I knew that she couldn’t rest easy, too.

I sighed. The Teleportation Noble was really a stubborn person, rash and reckless. He just decided to leave without even telling Shinhye. Still, there was just no stopping him once he gets his mind set on something, a lot like Shinhye except that we couldn’t restrict him. I wondered how she would react once she learns about it. She would definitely be furious if Kai ends up not coming back. It brought a chill down my spine as I thought about it. I wasn’t meaning to be pessimistic as I have faith in Kai, but it was one possibility out of the many. I just hope he would keep his word and come back in two days or we’d better prepare to tell Shinhye what was really going on. I could already imagine how things would turn out.

I strode towards the mansion, thoughts battling in my mind. Out of all the nobles she would travel with, it was Kai I have been worried about the most. Not only was he lenient when it came to restricting her, she also had the power to persuade him to act the way she wanted him to. She could have asked him for permission to go hunt down the purists and he would have agreed to it. They found thrill in their adventures which was bad since they encouraged each other to be that way. It wasn’t that Kai didn’t want to protect her. I was sure that he would have done anything in his power to keep her safe, but the thing was that he shared the same kind of ideology she had and it was detrimental for both of them regardless if they claim to be capable of watching their backs.

I shook my head at the thought. I have been worried enough since he didn’t answer my question about Shinhye’s condition directly. Instead, he gave me a cryptic answer which involved his two older sisters. Those two, Jong Min and Jae Min, were older than Baekhyun and the rest as they were around Suho hyung’s age, but they were the most outgoing and laid-back women I have ever met in my existence. Besides that, they didn’t lack that mischievous streak that their little brother had. They were women of Elyxo, but they were as headstrong as men in a battlefield. Shinhye would have liked their company, but that was what Suho hyung and I was worried about. We all knew how those two could get. They probably got more scolding than any of us have combined.

Aside from that, the prospect of her being with Sehun unnerved me. I wasn’t being honest when I said that I shouldn’t speculate about the notions I had for him when it came to Shinhye. They have been hanging around each other a lot and even when they were antagonistic towards each other, I saw something that bonded them both. It grew worse when I’ve learned of the fact that she swallowed a picham jinju for him to save his life. While it was true that we would all go through extents to protect each other, their situation then just proved how much they cared for each other and I was afraid that it was more than what we all see.

The two of them have worked their way into a better relationship. Though I wanted them to get along, I didn’t wish for them to have a bond similar to what I had with her. I was afraid of her getting along with most of them as we all had a claim to her heart. I saw how Baekhyun cared for her, how D.O. defended her and how Suho hyung looked after her. Kai always supported her while Sehun…I shook my head. I didn’t really understand his intention from the start. Though they still have those friendly bickers, I still see how Sehun looked at her from time to time. I couldn’t help but think that his rather foul mood before was caused by his frustration towards her, that being the fact that he couldn’t express himself well in front of her.

When Shinhye claimed to be in love with someone, I had the feeling that she was talking about him due to his lack of reaction to it. He was naturally nonchalant about most things, but I didn’t think that he would have the same disposition about that matter, especially not that. I don’t think so. Even D.O., as uncaring as he was, had a violent reaction to it. We all objected to it, but Sehun…he was just calm as if he knew what was going on from the start.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, both startling me and stealing me away from my thoughts. I turned around and saw Baekhyun hyung looking at me as if I was deranged. “I-it’s you…” I breathed, trying to calm down.

He frowned. “Who else would it be?” He shrugged. “Suho hyung insisted that we should survey the area first before meeting Shinhye.”

My eyes widened in indignation. “What?!”

He rolled his eyes. “He asked me to tell you, so the least you could do is to let me finish what I want to say.”

My shoulders sank. “Fine.”

“You’re not coming.”

“Oh.” I grinned like an idiot at him. “That would be nice.”

He narrowed his eyes at me. “Don’t try anything funny on my Shin-Shin and make sure she’s happy to see you or else.”

I scoffed. “Is that really what he wanted to say?!” I demanded.

“The latter was my own.” He smiled then as if nothing happened, patting my shoulder. “Hug my Shin-Shin for me.” He turned away before I could say anything.

I shook my head, heaving in a deep breath. “My Shin-Shin?” I muttered. It was ridiculous.

I continued walking, finding no one in the process until I’ve reached the banquet hall where I heard someone humming. When I opened the door, I found Chin, folding napkins on the table. It was comforting to see her again after we all decided to leave the capital. I’ve almost forgotten that she was originally the head maid of the Kim household.

“Chin?” I said, calling her attention.

She looked up from what she was doing, shocked when she saw me. “Young master?” She rose up and bowed slightly.

I shook my head. “Do you really have to do that?” I chuckled. “How have you been?”

Her motherly traits resurfaced. “Shouldn’t I be asking you that, you silly boy. I have been here taking care of the master and his family. What about you? I’ve heard about all the trouble you’ve been through along with the others.”

I smiled. “I’m hanging in there.”

“Where are Jun Myun and Baekhyun?”

“Surveying the area. They’ll be here shortly.”

She returned to folding the napkins and nodded. “That is good to hear. Miss Shinhye had gotten healthier, too. It’s good to know that you’ve all been taking care of her.”

“Of course,” I said. It was our job after all. “Speaking of her, where is she?”

“She should be in the den where I left her. She’s reading something important,” she answered.

I frowned. “Really?” Reading again? “And Sehun?”

“He must be in his room. He had been ill-disposed since this morning.”

“Oh. Where’s D.O.?” I asked. What was bothering that Sehun again?

“Asleep. His wounds are mending properly, but he complained of aches.” She looked alarmed all of a sudden. “Is it true that Shinhye stitched them herself?”

I snickered. “Yes.”

She shook her head. “She’s really a remarkable young lady, don’t you think so?”

I nodded. It was exactly why I fell in love with her. “She is.”

She chuckled. “I’m detaining you, aren’t I?”

“N-no –”

“Just go meet her already. I’ll see you in the morning.” She picked up the napkins and with a slight wave, she disappeared into the pantry.

I got out, doing as I was told. I headed straight to the den where Chin said I would find Shinhye. Finally, I’d get to see her. I carefully opened the heavy doors. The place was silent except for the sound of crackling fire in the fireplace and the sound of pages being turned. I found Shinhye seated on the floor by the fire, reading one of the strange books while rapidly taking down notes on a piece of parchment. She flipped on the pages once more, pushing her spectacles up the bridge of her nose. It was the first time I’d see her wearing them though I have seen her holding it.

She shrugged, removing her spectacles then began massaging her temples with her eyes closed. She held her fingers up then began murmuring something softly as she counted. Finally, she set the book down with that crease on her forehead.

“This is pointless,” she muttered then looked up, finally looking at me. She was startled, but nonetheless, she smiled at me, waving slightly. “Hey.”

“Hello,” I uttered. It was quite stupid for me to have said just that.

“You were late for supper. I was expecting you and the other two,” she said quietly. “Anyway, it’s good to have you back.”

I approached her, chuckling. “Those two left to do something. I should be the one saying that.” I sat beside her, peering at the book. “How do you like Portia?”

“Good.” She picked up her book. “But startling.”

“Startling?”

She nodded and laughed slightly. “People here are very…vivacious. I don’t understand where they get their energy, but Kai’s sisters were delightful.”

I knew it. “That’s nice. At least you enjoyed your stay while we were away.”

She looked at me seriously. “Why wouldn’t I?”

“Because I wasn’t here?” I offered.

She laughed. “Stop kidding around.”

I picked up one of her books. “What are you doing here anyway? You should be resting at this time.”

She glanced at me. “It’s not really that deep in the night. I usually sleep at around midnight. Besides, I need to study.”

“Study? For what?” I was honestly puzzled by that.

She took the book from me. “It’s for the SATs. I need to study for that.”

I frowned. “SAT? What’s that?”

She eyed me thoughtfully. “It’s an examination I have to take in order to be able to enter the university I want where I would get my bachelor’s degree.”

“Hmm. You lost me there, sweetheart.”

She snorted. “It doesn’t exist here. I just hope the time here is like that of Narnia so I could at least take it and stop calling me sweetheart. It’s embarrassing.”

“Yes, you’re right.” I didn’t know half of what she was saying though.

She tilted her head. “Yes, I always am, but for what this time?” she grinned at me.

“The test you are talking about…it doesn’t exist here,” I told her.

“Well, yes…”

I arched a brow at her. “Then why are you still studying for it?”

“Because I’m going to take it.” She pouted. “I tend to go to a prestigious school.”

“What are you talking about? What school? Where?” I just couldn’t help it. I knew where this was leading to, but while I still have time, I need to convince her that her life awaits in Elyxo.

She chuckled again, reaching over to touch the side of my face momentarily before drawing back. She was poking fun at our conversation, but I was totally serious. “Has anyone told you that you’re really adorable when you’re confused?” he was about to open the book she took from me, but I stopped her, seizing her hands.

“I mean it…where?”

Shinhye shrugged. “In the human world?”

I breathed in, knowing that she will say that. “What?”

She winced a bit. “I am going to study in the –”

I cut her short. “I know what you said, but…” I couldn’t contain myself anymore. “Why?”

“What do you mean why?”

I shook my head. “You’re not really going back, are you?” Who am I kidding? I sounded unstable even to myself and I saw her flinch.

“Are we back to this again?” She bit her lower lip, avoiding my gaze. “I’ve already told you and the others that I will be going back after the prophecy is fulfilled. As soon as I can find a way to open the portals then that’s it. I will go back.”

I closed my eyes and breathed in, hoping she will see. “You don’t belong there.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter