The Sacrificial Lamb

Elyxo: Into Your World [UNDER RECONSTRUCTION]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SHINHYE

“Chin?”

I cocked my head by the doorpost of the pantry, looking for the head maid. I was shaking and my head was pounding since I’ve never gotten anything inside my stomach since the previous night. I didn’t have appetite and now my hunger was going to overdrive because of that Chan Yeol. I shivered at the thought of him hugging me at the den just that morning. It was already awkward between him and me and he made it worse. To aggravate matters, Sehun saw it and I knew just what was running through that person’s mind. I saw glimpses of it during the past days, but I didn’t really have to see though him to know. It shows. And my absence at the luncheon table just made matters worse, not only for my emotional exhaustion, but also for my stomach.

“Chin?” I called out a little louder this time.

“Shinhye? Is that you?”

“Yes.”

“In here, dear,” she called out. She was probably in the dirty kitchen.

I entered the pantry and the scent of berried filled my senses immediately. It made my mouth water. Maybe she was making pies again. Just my luck then. I went through the pantry and into the pot storage room where a cauldron was bubbling. I saw Chin seated on the table, about to set down the wooden spoon she was using, slathered with thick blueberry syrup when I noticed someone else in the room – Sehun. My appetite vanished.

“You were looking for me?” the sweet lady asked me and that same instant, the Wind Noble turned around and met my eyes.

I glanced at him briefly and returned my gaze to Chin. I smiled. “You look busy. Maybe later. See you,” I said as I was about to turn around, seeing him smirk at me before I was out the door.

“Nonsense,” Chin interrupted me and I felt her hand on my arm, tugging at me to come inside. “I was just stirring the pie filling. Now what is it that you need?”

“Uh…” My eyes strayed to Sehun who was acting nonchalant at the corner. “Nothing. I just came to see you. I’ll come back later.”

Sehun suddenly chuckled. “Oh, do stay…” He flicked a stray lock of hair from his forehead with a haughty brush of his long fingers. “Unless you’re avoiding someone, that is.”

“Avoiding…someone?” Is that a challenge?! Damn this guy. He’s really getting to my nerves. I chuckled. “Who would I be avoiding?” It certainly isn’t you, weirdo.

He smiled charmingly at me, but I wasn’t in the least bit moved. “I don’t know. People you owe or probably those that give such warm embraces.”

Both Chin’s and my eyebrows shot up. Chin was doing so in confusion while I did it more because of indignation. “W-warm embraces?” Chin stuttered. “What are you both talking about?”

“Oh nothing,” Sehun said and she continued stirring the pot.

I smirked. “On second thought, I’ll stay.” I marched towards Sehun and stood right in front of him. He uncrossed his legs and eyed me arrogantly. “What are you playing at?” I hissed, glancing at Chin, hoping she wasn’t hearing it.

“What about you? What do you think?”

“If it’s that incident at the den, you can forget about it. It’s not like I’m affected by it so drop it,” I said calmly, but I was ready to strike at him anytime. To my utter annoyance, the lights flickered and he saw that.

He stood up, towering over me then bent down, putting a finger under my chin. “But I think you are affected by it more than you think you are.” He slid his finger down and stopped when we both heard glass breaking from the table. He dropped his hand while we both looked at the direction of the broken shards.

“Oh my,” Chin muttered as she looked for the broom.

”See what you made me do?!” I burst at him.

He scoffed. “It’s not like I have contributed to your utter lack of control over your abilities.”

I clenched my fist and snapped my neck, taking a step towards him. I was so going to punch him on the face. “Maybe I’ll make your skull blow up like that, too, huh? What do you say?”

He grinned at me. “I’d like to see you try.”

Damn you, Sehun. I raised my fist, preparing to give him the beating of his lifetime when Chin entered.

“Goodness, you two! Stop fighting!”

I withdrew my hand and let it fall limply on my side.

“Both of you, go to the forest and pick some berries,” she huffed, pointing out of the door. When we didn’t move, she picked up two baskets and shoved it to me and Sehun. “I want those filled.”

We took a basket each, pushing each other as we made our way to the door. We walked in silence until we’ve reached the edge of the forest. The orchard was somewhere in the woods. I walked ahead of him, but he kept pace with me easily. God, I’m really going to crush his bones once I get the chance. When I couldn’t take it anymore, I turned around and saw him fighting laughter.

“What seems to be so amusing?” I demanded in a low tone, glaring at him.

“I thought you read minds,” he said derisively.

“Ugh!” I turned away from him and stomped my way deeper into the woodlands. He still followed me. “What the hell do you want?” I snarled at him.

He raised the basket. “Berries, remember?”

Damn it, he’s good, but I’m not going to allow it. “What are you getting at?”

“Hmm. I wonder what that means.”

“Why are you doing this?”

“Doing what?”

“Stup – Damn it, Sehun, don’t play dumb with me!”

He turned serious. “Who says I am?”

I just wanted to wipe that cool demeanor out. “Why did you have to bring that up in front of Chin?

“In case you weren’t paying attention, she didn’t have any clue what it was. What are you getting so wound up about?”

“I’m not!”

“That’s very evident. Really now, Shinhye, what are you playing at?”

I clucked my tongue and leered at him. “You’re turning tables now?”

“Don’t change the topic.”

“I’m not.”

He took a step towards me, trying to intimidate me with his stare. “Don’t play with Chan Yeol. You know your effect on him and if you don’t have any intention –”

“Caring maknae, I see. You don’t say,” I interrupted him.

“I’m warning you.”

So now he’s threatening me? “That was nothing –”

“Chan Yeol embracing you is nothing?” he repeated. “Now that’s one thing he’d like to hear for himself.”

“Why do you care? Mind your own affairs.” I turned away, but he took me by the arm.

“Don’t turn your back on me.”

“I just did, in case you weren’t paying attention.”

“My friend getting hurt in the end is my affair!” he growled at me.

I wasn’t moved, of course. “Why are you doing this anyway? Don’t tell me you’re jealous.” I laughed humorlessly.

“J-jealous?” It was his turn to laugh. “You can keep wishing.”

“Who says you’re jealous of him. I meant you’re jealous of me. You have any problem with Chan Yeol and I getting close?”

He looked down. “N-no…”

“Then get off my back.” I jerked away harshly from his grip and turned away, but I paused. “This conversation never happened and I don’t want to hear any more. I’m not trying to get through his defenses. You can have your friend all to yourself.”

I walked hastily ahead without looking back. I don’t care if he was following me or not. I just wanted to rid myself of his presence. He just brings out the worst in me and that isn’t good at all. He’s affecting me more than he should and all of that for a childish quarrel? It was improper. I continued walking when I heard heavy thudding from behind me. I guess he caught up after all. Stubborn, Elyxian! Still, I didn’t look back and just continued walking when I heard rustling from the tree line beside me, followed by shallow, labored breathing.

“Slow poke,” I muttered, but when I looked behind me, there was no one. “What the –” I continued walking and I heard that same guttural sound. “Pft! Playing tricks now, Se –”

My blood ran cold when I turned around. I could feel my eyelids stretching as I eyed the creature in front of me. Beads of sweat immediately materialized on my forehead as I stared in disbelief at the thing in front of me. It was like a mutated Neanderthal with a gnarled, muscula

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter