After the River

Elyxo: Into Your World [UNDER RECONSTRUCTION]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

-Jinhae’s POV-

I stood by the door watching Lu Han bend over to the crib, making silly cooing noises as he inched closer to our eighteen-month old daughter who was laughing as her father made funny faces at her. I loved seeing them like that with the sun shining through the window, enhancing their pretty brown locks. Yes. She got her hair from Lu Han and the same goes with her huge eyes except that her eyes glow a green hue when she’s not feeling well or if she’s excited. She must have gotten it from my father. Just looking at them like that made up for all the sleepless nights and the hardships of childbirth before that. I couldn’t be happier.

I just wanted the best for the both of them. I’d never settle for anything else like Lu Han and Shinhye before him wouldn’t. I loved the feeling of knowing that they felt the love I had for him and for our little Shinhae. I named her after our mother to honor her memory though we’ve never met in my lifetime. I’ve met her in the past, thanks to Tao, and since then, I could never forget how it felt like to b be able to see, touch and hear her talk. I would never let what happened to me and my sister to happen to my daughter. I’d always be by her side no matter what.

I want Shinhae to grow up like her aunt, strong and wise but with a warm and brave heart. I want her to be someone with great initiative and sense in her. I still didn’t know if she inherited any kind of power from me or Lu Han, but even without those extra abilities, I would still like her to be able to carry herself with confidence without relying too much on the people around her with the balance of the fact that we wouldn’t be expecting too many things from her. I didn’t want her to feel pressured when she grows up, but I want her to be able to have the ability to make the people around her happy.

She was lucky. She has a great family, not only in me and her father but with the other eleven nobles who showered her with love as if she was their own, her numerous grandparents and everyone who showed their gladness and affection towards her. I am forever thankful for having been able to come to Elyxo that day when Shinhye and I became homeless orphans. I’d always go back to that day no matter how hard it had been for the both of us.

I walked over to the crib and reached over to touch my daughter’s soft cheek. She laughed, music to my ears, as she extended her hand and caught my finger. “Ma!” she squealed excitedly.

Lu Han eye’s widened as he looked at me, shifting his gaze back to Shinhae. “Did she just talk?”

I chuckled. “You heard it, right?”

“Most certainly.”

We were so used to hearing her thoughts that we thought there wouldn’t be any need for words, but hearing her talk was an enchanting moment for the both of us. I tilted my head to the side, happily gazing at our little angel. “You should start talking more often, little one.” I picked her up from the crib. “Umma is proud of you.” I kissed her on the cheek, swaying her from side to side. “My Shinhae is so smart.”

Lu Han affectionately smiled at me, but he said, “Like her father.”

“Taking all the credit, aren’t you?” I asked, narrowing my eyes jokingly at him. Even if we had been together for more than two years, our relationship never wavered from the first time we both realized how in love we were to each other. We’d have our silly fights but we’d make up again. Such was the cycle, but everything was fine and every single day was still as exciting as it had been before.

We just looked at each other and burst out laughing, much to Shinhae’s delight. We were trying to make her say words again, but she just wouldn’t do it, crinkling her nose and gnawing on her toy. Just then, there was a knock though the door was open. Lu Han and I looked up and saw Sehun standing by the door with a smile on his face. We weren’t expecting him.

Lu Han immediately stood up and met him halfway. “To what do we owe the honor, your highness?” he asked jokingly. The Wind Noble had assumed his rightful position as the emperor of Aeola, taking his parents throne just half a year ago. He seemed well.

Sehun chuckled and waved him aside. “Since when were you this polite, Lu Han hyung?” He bent to his side to wave at me. His eyes glittered when he saw Shinhae. He had been rather fond of her. “I have something for my little niece.”

I stood up with a smile and walked over to him. “I’m afraid you’re spoiling her rotten.” I knew he wanted to play with her so I handed her to him. “It’s good to see you.”

He took Shinhae in his arms, taking out a stuffed animal from behind him. He winked at me then returned his attention to her. “Look, Shin-Shin. Appa brought you something.” She immediately took the toy from Sehun, excitedly squeezing it. She smiled then and he lightly poked her on the cheek. “She’s so adorable.”

“How long are you staying with us?” I asked him, following him out into the den.

“I’m not sure.” He smiled. “It depends.”

Lu Han snorted. “Mood swings?”

Sehun just snickered.

Chan Yeol was sitting in the den with Tao and Baekhyun, reading some materials. As the governing bodies of Elyxo, all the nobles had to see to it that things were smoothly running for everyone.

“How are matters?” Tao asked Baekhyun. Lumina had been having crop problems as of late.

“Improvements are underway.” He sighed then looked up and left his work when he saw Sehun. “It’s been a while, Sehun-ah. How are you?”

“Good. You?”

Chan Yeol and Tao also stopped working and each came to give Sehun a welcoming hug. The older of the two patted him on the back. “How’s Aeola?”

“Great. The castle is almost finished.”

 He grinned. “And your tactician?”

He rolled his eyes. “Disappeared somewhere. I’m not really sure.”

“Where’s Shin-Shin?” Lay asked, suddenly entering the den. He was followed by Kai who popped out of nowhere like he usually does.

Startled, Shinhae began to cry, burying her face into Sehun’s neck.

“KAI!” They all chorused, chastising the Teleportation Noble.

“Oh my. I didn’t know. I’m so sorry!” he said in his defense. He approached Sehun and patted Shinhae lightly. “I’m sorry, baby. Appa didn’t mean to scare you.”

As if in reply, Shinhae smiled to him and reached out to go to him. She liked Kai a lot since he also spoiled her.

Sehun held her away. “I just got her.”

“Well you can always make yours,” Kai retorted.

The others rolled their eyes. Lay came forward. “Nap time.” He quickly plucked Shinhae out of Sehun’s arms and speedily walked away, cradling her.

I smiled to myself as the other bickered. Shinhae was indeed lucky. She had more than a pair of parents.

 

-Lay’s POV-

All’s well that ends well. That’s what they all say. I strongly believe in every word of it. We might have lost a lot of things on the way, even loved ones, very important people that served as inspiration for us to go on through that journey we had to tread almost two years ago, but everything had turned out to be for the best. The wounds are fresh. Time would mend them and make the hurt fade away, but until then, we’d find happiness every step of the way. We’ve promised ourselves as much and so far, it had been a happy two years.

Time flew by quickly and now, I cradled Lu Han and Jinhae’s daughter in my arm like she was my own. Shinhae brought more happiness to everyone. She was a blessing from the heavens and what I would do to have a daughter as beautiful as she was. I smiled at the thought as she reached over to touch the pendant of my necklace, her warm, pudgy hands grazing my collarbones briefly before she smiled at me. Though she wasn’t mine, I still feel proud of her, proud to stand as a surrogate parent alongside the other nobles.

She was showing a tooth or two on her upper gums and she was also beginning to walk. At eighteen months, she showed will like that of her mother. She doesn’t talk yet, but sometimes, she utters single syllables that delight and warm the heart no matter how incoherent. She smiled like her aunt, beautiful and confident with dimples showing at the sides of her pink mouth. She was an adorable little child who had her father’s eyes and Jinhae’s looks.

I set her down on the floor, steadying her as I held her hand. I encouraged her to walk so she’d learn faster. In no time, she’d be running. I’d like to see that day and smile smugly at what I taught her. The thought was thrilling. Though I didn’t end up with Jinhae, I was happy to have the opportunity to share the joys of having Shinhae around. She was such a bundle of joy.

“Go on, Shin-Shin. You can do it,” I said softly to her.

She hesitantly took a step forward then looked up at me for approval.

I nodded at her. “That’s it. Go on.”

She took yet another step and when she succeeded, she giggled excitedly. There wouldn’t be any naptime soon. She was enjoying it. I guided her, gently holding her hands until we’ve reached the end of the hallway then we did it again. She turned around and reached out her tiny hands to me.

“Xing…” she said softly, her eyes blinking slowly as she yawned.

I laughed. “Did you just say my name, young lady?” That was amazing. I wondered how Lu Han reacted when she called him father for the first time.

“Nap,” Shinhae said again, rubbing her eyes.

“Okay. Nap time it is.” I scooped her off the ground and held her in my arms, walking towards her nursery as I patted her back. A small yawn escaped and soon, she was fast asleep.

Jinhae was waiting at the nursery when I got there. She smiled at me motioned to take her daughter from me. “How do you make her sleep so easily?” she asked, fondly touching the tip of Shinhae’s nose with her finger.

“She’s just tired from all the playing by the time I get to her.” I chuckled. “She’s starting to walk.”

“Really?”

“And just now, she said my name.” I sighed. “She’s smart.”

Jinhae laid her on the crib, planting a kiss on her forehead before facing me again. “Thanks for doing this. You’ve been nothing but kind to her.”

I waved her aside. “So are the other nobles.”

“Indeed.”

“I find happiness in caring for her.” I winked at her. “She’s very delightful.” I patted Jinhae’s hand and walked out of the room, sighing in content.

One day, Yi Xing. One day…

I smiled to myself as I walked down the corridor, back into the den where everyone had gathered. I just remembered I needed some vital information about some matters.

“Has anyone come across Suho yet?” I asked. He got married a few weeks ago to Chan Yeol’s older sister, Min Chan. I didn’t want to disturb him on his honeymoon so I just asked.

“I did,” Kai said. “He’s currently in Glas with Min Chan noona.”

“Oh.” I shrugged. “I guess I’m not getting that information anytime soon.”

Kris arched a brow at me. “Which one?”

“The vessels,” I said cautiously.

“Didn’t you just retrieve the documentations of the ancients for Mai?” he asked.

“Korin,” I murmured taking note of the sudden tense aura that was coming from the corner seat where the Wind Noble was, enough to engulf the whole room.

I glanced at him and smiled apologetically.

He just nodded. He was still touchy when it came to matters about that fateful day by the river bank. The dagger was enchanted and I could remember my own efforts to restore Shinhye. I didn’t know how far my power could go then. Until now it was uncertain. I vowed from then on to f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter